JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Provoking Controversy

• 2 months later...

Q5. (John 4:19-22) What motives cause the woman to bring up a religious controversy to Jesus? Why do people today try to generate religious controversies with us? What are their motives?

Through out history our eternal God has revealed Himself to people and group leaders in different ways and has resulted in different interpretations, different understandings of who God is and what He does. Our God has told us not to judge anyone, that is for Him. We must accept how people are, or we are making our God little 

How we plant and water the seeds of the Gospel can only work through our God's hand. All of us can be guilty of generating religious controversies depending on how we explain our God to other people. And do we take the time to understand what the "other person's God is?"

Only when we respectfully understand how they got lost, or what they "deeply believe" and only when we prayerfully ask God to lead us to communicate with "controversial religious people," and even then we can not expect any immediate results. It is the water of the Holy spirit that might work on them, if they are curious to what we "have." 

So what are their motives? it really depends on eah person that you might engage. But since we know that all are thirsty and hungry, we owe them courtesy to speak their faith to us. And even then they may have no interest in hearing how we were saved!

Q5. (John 4:19-22) What motives cause the woman to bring up a religious controversy to Jesus?

I think she was stunned that He was talking to her...and about spiritual things, to boot. I think that she was confused and bewildered! She knew the Jews despised the Samaritans...I think she was trying to make sense of the whole encounter. Her self esteem was in the trash....and here was Jesus singling her out and talking about deep things of eternal consequence. I also think she was trying to remind Him that it was very weird and out of the norm that they were conversing in this way....maybe seeking clarification about "Why me of all people?" (Like we might say "Are you serious???")

Why do people today try to generate religious controversies with us? What are their motives?

I've only had one person do this...and it was really that he was deeply wounded by the "death of his innocent little 2 year old nephew" in light of his "religious" background.  He was wanting to get his questions answered before going any further with the Gospel message. The Lord gave me an answer that satisfied him and he eventually accepted the Lord and followed Him faithfully.

But there must be dozens of reasons and motives for the controversies....stalling, fear, pride, a contentious spirit, demonic interference, anger, confusion, ....that's where we can ask for a Word of Knowledge.....to help cut through the diversion tactic.

I expect she was uncomfortable with having such an intense religious conversation with someone who she had been taught was ‘wrong’.  I think she is trying to work things out for herself. 

Motives for religious discussion between believers and non-believers can vary.  The non-believer may genuinely be searching (spiritual thirst).  They may also be scoffers who want to laugh at those who believe in things that are not of this world.  We must give them the benefit of the doubt.

Q5. (John 4:19-22) What motives cause the woman to bring up a religious controversy to Jesus? Why do people today try to generate religious controversies with us? What are their motives?

Perhaps it is like a 'red herring'- to serve as a distraction because she was challanged by Jesus. She probably knew that she would have to change her lifestyle now. Or perhaps she wanted to see how Jesus would react to the question that she asked him- the age old controversy between the Jews and the Samaritans. This was a deep seated controversy, one which the Samaritans were probably aggrieved about, because of the way the Jews shunned them.

People watch us and how we react to different situations. They want to find out whether we are genuine or fake. Or perhaps they just want to throw a 'red herring' into the debate.

What motives cause the woman to bring up a religious controversy to Jesus? Why do people today try to generate religious controversies with us? What are their motives?       

• The woman was trying to change the conversation to get the focus off of her. Religious controversies always become deep conversations.  The reasons may vary.  It may be a way for one to get a better understanding of scriptures or one simply trying to distract someone from their own personal situation like the Samaritan woman.     

Jesus had 1st provoked the controversy by asking her for water and all he said after that. He intended to bring her to the truth of that moment. Since she knew he was a prophet, it was natural for her to ask about "her  different worship foundation" compared to a Jew. Jesus was "setting her up" to the awakening that He is the savior, right there in front of her.

Is it normal for people to state what they believe about a higher power? I'd hope that means they are discussing something important about their beliefs. What could be better than that, if we are evangelists for  Christ? Its a good time to listen and ask a lot of questions about the origin of their beliefs, to understand them better and let God us us in the moment to draw that person and ourselves closer to God in that moment. To "argue" our faith may not be useful, the devil is in the details.

Jesus did not start the conversation saying "I'm the Messiah." We are not God, but can let Him use us by not going too fast in such a situation.i only feel this from many failures to evangelize family members. 

Q5. (John 4:19-22) What motives cause the woman to bring up a religious controversy to Jesus?

I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt here. She's just realized Jesus is a prophet . . . and a good one, since He's just told her about her life when He couldn't have possibly known about her at all unless he was a prophet. I think she just wanted to pick His brain. What an opportunity to have a one on one with a real prophet! She probably didn't really know what to say to the man who just "told her everything she ever did"

Why do people today try to generate religious controversies with us? What are their motives?

People don't want to be put on the spot. So they try to turn the tables on Christians by pointing out "mistakes" in the Bible, or "inconsistencies" that very often they really know nothing about, just to make us squirm. I've heard hundreds of controvertial criticisms of the Bible in my life. Here are some corkers!

"Jesus must have been married because Rabbis have to marry and He was called Rabbi . . . Beg pardon?

" I reject the Bible because there is no humor anywhere in it" . . . I got told that one only this week!!

"Every time they translate the Bible they come up with something different to the point where it's no longer accurate" . . .

The people who made these statements have never read the Bible at all. Just thought I'd mention that.

Q5. (John 4:19-22) 

What motives cause the woman to bring up a religious controversy to Jesus? 

Why do people today try to generate religious controversies with us? 

What are their motives?

The woman became uncomfortable when her private life was exposed by Jesus, and immediately tries to change the subject. She finds it more comfortable to discuss religion than face her sins. She, therefore, brings up the differences between Jewish and Samaritan religions. It’s the same with us today, when confronted with the truth of our lives, we vainly attempt to bring the conversation back to some safer theological point. We want to argue religion, but we don’t want to live it. That is why we have this superficiality in our churches today. It is all just a cover-up for our sin. Like our passage of Scripture, our Lord does not want to avoid or sidestep the issue of personal sin. He wants us to face our sin and confess it. Only when we willingly perceive the truth about ourselves can He fully reveal the truth about Himself. Our Lord will deal with it the same way as He did with this woman in Samaria. 

What motives cause the woman to bring up a religious controversy to Jesus?  Why do people try today to generate religious controversies with us  What are their motives?

I believe she grew up being taught this and probably by people who were insecure about what they are doing and trying to justify what they are doing.  I believe the woman out of good faith brought up something that was a festering sore among the samaritans  to hear what Jesus had to say.  She wanted to know what this unusual Jew had to say.  She wanted to know who was correct on the issue.  I would imagine that some of the samaritans had some good size chips on their shoulders.

Why do people today try to generate religious controversies with us?  I think to justify their unbelief  when they are not quite so firm in their convictions as they let on.  So you must destroy any opposition so you can ease your own mind and conscience.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

When this Jewish stranger started a conversation with her, a Samaritan woman, she had to ask, “why was he speaking to her”, and when he replied by telling her about a some kind of water he has, water that will bring everlasting life, speaking to her about a gift of God, and when he preceded to tell her things about her private life, things he could not know, is when she perceived, she acknowledged, this man who is speaking to her, is a prophet of God, therefore, I can only imagine what was going on in her mind, but, what greater “motive”, or opportunity would there be for her, but to ask for clarification to a question that has brought so much hatred and division between the Samaritans and the Jews, for the Samaritans say they have the answer, while the Jews say they do, was to ask this prophet “Where is the place men are to worship God?”

The thing that caused the woman to have a conversation about religion with Christ was the fact that he offered her living water and she thought He was talking about the water in the well. She then inquired what he meant by living water.He told her the living water he had would well up to eternal life.

People today try to generate religious controversies with us because they have no knowledge of God or the salvation Christ offers. perhaps they belong to a cult that teaches that Christ was only a prophet. They try desperately to trick us up in our belief and when we can not give an answer they feel justified. It is very important that we learn the word of God and keep it in our heart for such people who try to prove they are right and we are wrong.      

(John 4:19-22) What motives cause the woman to bring up a religious controversy to Jesus? Why do people today try to generate religious controversies with us? What are their motives? 

Believing that He (Jesus) was a prophet, the Samaritan woman brought up the religious controversy to Jesus probably in the hope that He could explain the rationale for why the Jews said that they must only worship in Jerusalem. She was curious and obviously had this question in her for a long time. Finally when she meets a Jewish prophet she was the opportunity to clarify this issue. Whenever we read God's word, we interpret it according to our own understanding, circumstances, innate beliefs, biases, experience and world views. Several issues that come to mind are for example attending (or not attending) church and tithing. These issues have divided views within the greater Christian community and many times it can differ from pastor to pastor even within the same denomination. I believe that we will not any answers to these, and many other religious controversies, until Jesus returns. In the meantime, we just have to be lead by our convictions, and hopefully it comes from the Holy Spirit, and agree to disagree among the brethren. The motive of bringing up religious controversies shows that, as humans, we are interpreting God's word according to our own individuality and that deep down we are always seeking the truth. May God grant us all the wisdom to know His truth. Amen. 

The woman brought up the religious controversy because it was the teaching that she knew. Today many people try to generate a religious controversy based on what they have heard from others.  Their motives are to tell the facts as they understand them, while I believe, they really welcome the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

She probably wanted to put an end to the long standing debate on the proper place of worship.

To prove their own point of view as the right one.

The woman may have wish to change the subject because the conversation was getting very personal and no doubt very painful. I think , however, that John included this part of the conversation to make the point that although the story and way of salvation did indeed come by way of the Jews - the whole history from the early patriarchs right up to the time of Jesus -but now a new era was in the making when the dwelling place of God was spiritual and would be in the hearts of  those who receive and believed in Jesus as savior.

I think this woman was in awe that this man she thought was prophet knew all about her.  I also believe she was trying to turn away from this conversation about worship and where to worship. In all it had got to personal for her to deal with.

the truth of the matter is they don't the word and try to impose on us what little they know. You have to study the word to show that you can prove what you say is truth and be ready to show with scriptures.

Their motives are to steer us away with what is being taught it is uncomfortable for them because they are hearing the true word.

The woman brought up a religious controversy to Jesus because she saw that He was a prophet and wanted to justify what she believed. Maybe some people will generate religious controversies with us because they are really interested in our salvation. Then maybe again it is just to start an argument. But either way it could bring a better understand of the scriptures especially if you have to articulate you point of view.

• 5 weeks later...

It is a very rare opportunity to meet and talk to a Jewish prophet in a place like Samaria so she took that chance to ask Jesus of that controversy. She wants to know more on what to believe.

Why do people today try to generate religious controversies with us?

They hardly understand our belief in the Lord Jesus Christ thats why they are seeking for a judicial resolution.

What are their motives?

They want to know the real truth or they making a stand on their own belief.

• 1 month later...

1 When this woman discovered that Jesus knew all about her private life, she quickly changed the subject. Often people become uncomfortable when the conversation is too close to home, and they try to talk about something else. As we witness, we should gently guide the conversation back to Christ. His presence exposes sin and makes people squirm, but only Christ can forgive sins and give new life.

2 The woman brought up a popular theological issue—the correct place to worship. But her question was a smoke screen to keep Jesus away from her deepest need. Jesus directed the conversation to a much more important point: The location of worship is not nearly as important as the attitude of the worshipers.

• 2 months later...

She is possibly afraid that Jesus was there to try and judge her and convert her to the Jewish way of thinking. She did not want to hear how she was a lesser person from this man. Jesus was showing her that nothing was going to be the same in the future. The Samaritans worship a God that they did not know. But that to Jesus was going to bring about salvation for all. Today, many of the religious controversies comes from people thinking close- mindedly that their way is the best way or the only way to worship., They refuse to believe that God can be worshipped in many ways with the same effect and benefits. They want to belittle our personal faith, to personally make them feel better about themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

She was uncomfortable with Jesus' level of knowledge of her. She evoked a "self preservation" act, so not having to acknowledge her wrong.

Satan does not want them to see the truth, so he has them question/dispute in order to prevent them from seeing the truth as well as he would like nothing better than to put a chink in our armor of God.

• 3 weeks later...

1) Jesus had exposed her sin so instead of having to admit her transgressions she changed the subject.  She brought up the differences between Jews and Samaritans and how and where one should worship but all of it was simply to evade having to face her own sin.  2) People have become blind to Christ and they’re struggling for answers.  I believe that they’re looking for someone who can make a convincing, clear-cut case for Christianity like Christ did with the Samaritan woman.  3) The motives are wide-ranging, perhaps they’re honestly looking for a way to bring them closer to God, or they’re suffering and looking for relief.  Perhaps it’s merely curiosity, i.e. is there really a God out there and is the Bible really His word.  The motives are infinite but the fact that they’re talking is opening a door to discipleship and as a Christian it’s our DUTY to share the good news about our Lord and Savior Christ Jesus.

• 1 month later...

What motives cause the woman to bring up a religious controversy to Jesus?

People who throw religion at you is all they know. Religion does the work for you, it doesn't make you use your own spirit/soul/thoughts. Robotic copycats. When one has a personnel relationship with the Lord Jesus it is the real heartfelt you and Him. 

The religious people truly believe their ways are correct. It is pride and ego that will cause the strife which will turn up in fighting. Leaving a bad taste. Let the truth and peace of the Word of God rest in your spirit/soul. Follow Jesus and not man. 

• 4 months later...

As a Samaritan, the woman was probably intimidated by this man she thought to be a Jewish prophet as the conversation turned intimately personal. She wasn't accountable to him, so who was he to scrutinize her life? Like people today, she sought to deflect the intense focus on her sin and empty soul by bringing up a religious controversy about where to worship. It's easier to debate problems with doctrines and differences that to take a hard honest look at the problems with our own hearts. Quite frankly, I think it's easier for most believers to be legalistic with some concrete formula of rules and doctrine to follow than to be trust the Spirit in challenging or unknown territory. She was attempting to defend what she knew with a bit of self-defensive righteousness, perhaps.