JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Character and Grace

Q1. (John 5:1-16) How would you describe the invalid’s character? The invalid’s faith? How does Jesus’ healing here demonstrate the grace of God? Why do we humans find it difficult to accept grace when it is offered to us? Why do we resist the concept that God’s gifts are entirely by grace?

• 2 months later...

Q1. (John 5:1-16) How would you describe the invalid’s character?

It was weak! He was a whiner. Apathetic. Conflicted...he was at the pool but seemed to enjoy the pity he attracted. He had the classic victim mentality: Feel sorry for me, because I have no options. Life has been cruel to me, "and I have no one to help me...someone else always gets to the water ahead of me"  Victims are typically blamers and take no responsibility for their actions or for their well being. He got attention but always the wrong kind with his self pitying attention getting blaming.

The invalid’s faith?

It doesn't seem that he had much if any. Although he was at the pool.....but may have been there for others sympathy and affirmation that his life was pitiful.

How does Jesus’ healing here demonstrate the grace of God?

God's grace is ALWAYS undeserved. I was in a similar condition to the man for many years before Jesus "found" me and saved me....lifted me from the miry clay of self pity and victimization. (I had been victimized and so may the man have been, but God always offers us a way out and up!) He is attracted to our weakness and delights in supply His strength in us.

Why do we humans find it difficult to accept grace when it is offered to us?

Teaching and training that the "good" or the "worthy" are the ones who deserve blessing and reward. Most of us know that we don't deserve anything good as sinners.. and yet the Lord gives us breath every moment of every day which we didn't ask for or deserve. We're taught in the world "do good, get good. Do bad, get beat"....but we did bad and get grace...what a lovely and kind Lord we serve.

Why do we resist the concept that God’s gifts are entirely by grace?

I think it's built into us....if a 2 year old didn't start wanting to do things for him or herself they would remain totally reliant on others for their care. Like the two year old, we just plain want to "do it ourselves"  and be rewarded for our effort...it's the way life on earth works. But God's kingdom is an upside down kingdom. The first are last the last are first. The worst of us are given grace. Thank you, Jesus! What a gift!

How would you describe the invalid’s character? The invalid’s faith?

Sometimes we are quick to judge (Matt 7:1). We do not know how we would react if what happened to this man, happened to us. After all he had been an invalid for such a long time. Treated as an inferior. A man who would have had to begg and scrape and borrow for most of his life up until now. Begging is about manipulating people into helping when they probably don't want to help. He was probably disillusioned and would have had to learn survival skills. This mans character would have been shaped by his life experiences and it would take time and perseverence with him from the holy spirit to break some of the habbits that the man had developed in his life. The man would still be processing in his mind what had happened to him after he met Jesus, he may well have been in shock and awe at what happened to him, so suddenly.

Jesus did not condemn the man when he first met him but had compassion on him by healing him. Jesus did not condemn him the second time he met him in the temple, either. This man no less deserved God's grace than any other person-all have sinned (Romans 3:23).

It is ok to observe this mans character, from what we read in the scriptures, however in the writers opinion we are on danerous ground if we judge this man's character and put him down.

We are in no position to judge the man's faith.

"But God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8)- thats God's grace.

Why do we humans find it difficult to accept grace when it is offered to us? Why do we resist the concept that God’s gifts are entirely by grace?

We find this difficult because of our pride (1 John 1:16)

Q1. (John 5:1-16) How would you describe the invalid’s character? The invalid’s faith?

I'm not going to condemn this man too harshly. He'd been an invalid for 38 years and that must have had a profoundly negative effect on his character. This man was a sinner, and not a very nice person, as is so often the case with the chronically ill. The Bible doesn't go into what the man's sin was, but since he was an elderly invalid I'm gonna guess that he most likely was a nasty man who cussed people out all the time. When you can't get around there's not much sin you CAN get into apart from the sins of the tongue. It'd be pretty hard to commit adultery, steal, kill anyone, etc when you're lying on a mat!

His faith? He had none. We're not told how long he'd been coming to the pool but it may have been for many years. His whole future depended on his being the first to get into the pool when the water was stirred . . to his way of thinking. So when Jesus asked him if he wanted to be well, he probably thought Jesus may have been going to throw him into the water. That's how the man envisaged his healing would happen . . if it were ever to happen.

Jesus healed this man despite his being not a nice person, one who from a human perspective didn't deserve anything good to be done for him.

From infancy we're rewarded for good behavior and punished for bad behavior. We see God as the ultimate punisher, the one who after destroying the body can throw both body and soul into hell. We even read in the Bible that no one is righteous enough to please God. In our human minds we envisage God as the destroying fire, rather than the God of Love. Thus, when offered something for nothing we see it as too good to be true.

Well, someone from my generation (I'm 60) would have a strong work ethic. We think we need to work at something to really deserve it. Getting something entirely for free is an alien concept.

Q1. (John 5:1-16) How would you describe the invalid's character and faith?

Because there is so little known about this invalid is why I find it difficult to assess his character, I do have to wonder, he being an invalid for some 38 years, he most likely was homeless, a man whose life was lived on his mat outside the city, and now I see him as just another amongst the multitude of feeble people, people who are waiting by the pool for the waters to be troubled, waiting in hopes that maybe this time they might be healed.

I am beginning to see some of his character, I see a humble man of faith, an unimportant man by the standards of the world, a man who with much trouble and effort came to the festival, came in hopes that God’s grace would look down upon him and he would be healed, I have to wonder, was it his faith that brought the Son of God to go over and ask him, “would you like to be made whole”, and how I love his honest answer of “yes” - if only I had someone to take me to the waters, Jesus must have seen the true character of this man’s heart, for after Jesus told this invalid whose bones were weak, to stand, is when I see “strong” faith in action, for he immediately stood up, and not only did he walk, but he was able to carry his mat.

When this man found out later who it was that healed him, he quickly went to share this “GOOD NEWS” with the teachers of the law, but how sad it was for those who were held in great esteem by the people, how sad for those who were instructed to teach God’s word to the people, that they could not see, it was God’s grace that was troubling the waters, it was God’s grace that brought healing; I have to wonder, how many pastors today are just as these Pharisees and can’t see beyond their own religiosity, and are missing that of God’s grace.

Q. How does Jesus' healing here demonstrate the grace of God?

God’s grace is there for all who faithfully are looking for a touch from God.

Q. Why do we humans find it difficult to accept grace when it is offered to us?

It is difficult for me to understand why anyone would resist God’s grace except that they prefer darkness instead.

Q1. (John 5:1-16) How would you describe the invalid’s character? The invalid’s faith? How does Jesus’ healing here demonstrate the grace of God? Why do we humans find it difficult to accept grace when it is offered to us? Why do we resist the concept that God’s gifts are entirely by grace?

The invalid became complacent in his condition and did not use all the resources available to his.  His faith was renewed when the Healer showed up.  Jesus' healing here demonstrated the grace of God because in spite of our doing or not doing, believing or not believing He loves us so much that He heals us to bring us into the place where we can continue and go on to complete our assignment here on earth.  As humans we find it difficult to accept grace when it is offered to us because we are not as loving and gracious as our Heavenly Father.  We resist the concept that God's gifts are entirely by faith because we  do not believe it could be that simply.

How would you describe the invalids character?  His faith?  How does healing here demonstrate the grace of God?  Why do we humans find it difficult to accept grace when it is offered to us?  Why do we resist the concept that God's gifts are entirely by grace?

I would assume that the man felt pretty hopeless right about now, maybe a little bitter about life with the why me attitude, also after many disappointments he could no longer believe.  As to whether these speak about his character I don't know, however I do think they reflect our human nature.  Maybe he had faith early on and that  as the years went by it wavered.  I do not see that he expressed gratitude for what he did have, food, clothing, warmth, air to breathe or even a pool to go to to hope.  I think we all to often think about what we don't have and not about the things that we take for granted and think we are entitled too.

Everything we have, every breathe we take is by the grace of God.  Funny how we have no problems accepting air to breathe, water to wash with, cool breezes to refresh us when it is hot, because we don't associate those things with God.  They are our entitlements.  We are also entitled to be healthy.  So why do we find it difficult to accept that God's gifts are entirely by grace?  I think because it shows we have no power and that we are basically dependent on God, we are weak.  This flies in the face of our human nature.  It makes us bitter and instead of being grateful to God for providing for us we complain.

Funny also we will accept handouts from big government but not from a loving God.  

What a sorry lot we are!

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q1. (John 5:1-16) 

How would you describe the invalid's character? 

The invalid's faith? 

How does Jesus' healing here demonstrate the grace of God? 

Why do we resist the concept that God's gifts are entirely by grace?

Looks very much like an ungrateful and bitter character with no faith at all. He was more concerned in finding a way into the pool. I don’t think it ever entered his mind or that he even believed Jesus could miraculously heal him. It could be that he was in a comfort zone. Having survived for 38 years on hand-outs he must have made a living income, and he was not prepared to give this up for an uncertain future. He did not know who Jesus was and after being healed, did not even bother to find out or show any interest in meeting our Lord. When meeting Jesus later he quickly reported Him to the religious leaders – showing his ingratitude. This healing demonstrated the infinite grace, love, and mercy of our Heavenly Father. Our Lord loves all even the unlovable. In our modern world today everything has a price, and anything that is offered for free must of necessity be of no value. This could be the stumbling block to accepting God’s gifts. The more expensive it is, or if it had certain fashionable labels on, it would be more acceptable. 

How would you describe the invalid’s character? The invalid’s faith?

1.  The invalid had been sick for 38 yrs which is considered old.  It seems that he had become complacent with his situation.  He depended on others to help him.  He had no hope of being healed and no desire to help himself. 

2.  Jesus healing demonstrates that God loves us in spite of.  Often times we have the tensely to give up hope instead asking our Father for help.  Still He is there keeping us when we don't even realize it.  God is still standing at the door waiting for you to open it.

Why do we humans find it difficult to accept grace when it is offered to us? Why do we resist the concept that God’s gifts are entirely by grace?

3.  I think a lot of times we actually believe that we are doing things on our own.  Some of us recognize that it is because of God's grace that we got thru situations but find it difficult to accept because we don't want to give up the life that we are living. We would rather think that we are doing it on our own.

The invalid clearly didn't recognize Jesus or even expect anything from Him. Pastor Ralph thinks he was a whiner and complainer, ungrateful and graceless. He probably was but I wonder if I would have even gotten up after 38 years of disability just on Jesus' word to me. It is the grace of God alone that gives us the ability to respond to His goodness and love. It has taken me many years to lay aside cynicism and not react with a “glass half empty” mentality. I am being healed by His unfailing faithfulness and wooing. John doesn't tell us what happened to this man ultimately, whether he followed Jesus or not. I can only hope that he did but if he didn't, it was not for lack of Jesus' seeking him out and giving him his heart's desire. God, who knows the beginning and the end, always seeks those who are lost. 1Corinthians 13 says: “4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. ” God is not bound by time but He has chosen to interact with us in time. In this regard, I believe God “always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” And so He seeks us out to save us from ourselves and from the designs of the evil one.

The beatitudes start by telling us that only the poor in spirit... we must understand that only by being lowly will we get grace, and even then if we are luky. We have nothing to offer God that is good enough to receive His grace. This is clearly a good point to remember; for it is by His grace alone that we are saved, not from any works we have done. 

As we get older, it becomes clearer, that all God's gifts are miracles, getting another day of life is a good example of what we take for granted. Let not be this way for me Lord i pray, in Jesus name.

The invalids character seems to be bit raw. He seems to be regretful of his condition. He is also envious of those who get ahead of him and reach the pool.

The invalids faith seems to be placed on the stirring of the pool water by an angel, he also had a desire to be healed, but seemingly it was not faith in God.

Whether the invalid had faith in God for his healing or not, Jesus demonstrated that God's gift of healing by his grace, is love for all mankind.

Most people reject God's grace because they can not bring themselves to believe that God would do anything for them. Many feel guilty for their sins and that God would do nothing for them, they fail to realize the sacrifice Christ has made for them and that he loves all that come to Him.

Some Christians reject that God's gifts are entirely by His grace, they feel they need to earn His love.     

(John 5:1-16) How would you describe the invalid’s character? The invalid’s faith? How does Jesus’ healing here demonstrate the grace of God? Why do we humans find it difficult to accept grace when it is offered to us? Why do we resist the concept that God’s gifts are entirely by grace?

The invalid was a complainer, blamer, ungrateful, disloyal and unrepentant. However, he had faith. He knew enough to obey Jesus and took up his mat and walked.

No doubt there were many invalids at the Pool of Bethesda. However, of all these people, Jesus choose this particular invalid to heal. The invalid didn't do anything to deserve Jesus' grace. In fact, rather the opposite, his character would have precluded him from receiving God's grace. Nonetheless, Jesus healed him. God's grace is free and unbiased. 

Humans find it difficult to accept God's grace because we are so used to working and/or paying for everything and when something is offered to us for free, we are immediately suspicious. Perhaps, it is also because we are too proud to accept God's grace. We may feel that we have pay for it or else we would be a charity case. Another perspective could be that we feel that we would not be in control if we accept God's grace and that may make us feel uncomfortable.

Q1. (John 5:1-16) How would you describe the invalid's character? The invalid's faith? How does Jesus' healing here demonstrate the grace of God? Why do we humans find it difficult to accept grace when it is offered to us? Why do we resist the concept that God's gifts are entirely by grace?

He was a complainer like many of us and  from the search light of Dr. Ralph, he was also a blamer and ungrateful.

Jesus healing here demonstrates God's grace because the man was a sinner and ungrateful and did not deserve what he got.

I am not very sure why some would find it difficult to accept grace when offered to them, As for me, I accept and celebrate God's grace in my life.

I believe that all what we are and all what we have are as the result of the grace of God. 

I don’t think it is fair to leap to conclusions.  The man was old, sick and no doubt worn out from the difficulties of his condition.  His underlying character may have been completely different and only Jesus would have understood his true character, whatever it was.  In any case John does not mention that he was complaining or moaning about his problems. 

I don’t think the invalid’s faith comes into it as he was unlikely to know that he was meeting the one person who could truly help him.  He merely answers Jesus’s question about whether he wanted to get well by saying that there is nobody to help him get into the pool in time.  I am sure he was not asking for more than a helping hand to enable him to get well.

This healing demonstrates the grace of God, in that He is there to help someone in desperate need, but who was looking in the wrong direction for help.  We are often too astonished at God’s help and ask, why me?  If I had been the invalid, astonishment would have been my reaction. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think the man was disrespectful ,not appreciative. he got to the water and complain someone would jump in front of him.

I do not think he had faith that he would be heal after going there for 38 years.

Jesus love is so great that the man was all of the above. He saw a man that needed healing body and soul

Maybe vanity some of us are so sure we can make it on our own that we miss the love and what Jesus can do for us and what He did by going to the cross.

The invalid’s character was a grumpy old man. He had faith that if he could get into the pool before anybody else after it was stirred up he would be healed.

The way that Jesus demonstrated the grace of God is that he didn’t ask the invalid to do anything to be healed. All he did is ask him if he wanted to be healed.

The reason that we don’t accept grace when it is offered to us is that we think that we have to work for everything. And sometimes we think that is a trick in order to have us do something that we don’t want to do. The reason that we resist the concept of God’s gifts ae entirely by grace is that we think we have to work for everything. Nothing is free.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (John 5:1-16)

How would you describe the invalid’s character?

1. Old. If the life expectancy in those days was maybe 35, and if this man had been afflicted during his childhood, he might have been 40 or 50 by this time -- an old man (5:5).
  2. Dependent. He probably relies on others to bring him, take him home, and support him (5:7). If he couldn't take care of himself well, he was probably dirty and smelly too -- a smelly old man.
  3. Complainer. He complains about how long he's been an invalid. He complains that he doesn't have anyone to help him into the pool (5:5, 7)
  4. Blamer. When confronted by the Jews for carrying his pallet on the Sabbath he blames the person who told him to carry it (5:10-13).
  5. Sinner (5:14), serious enough for Jesus to confront him in the temple.
  6. Ungrateful and disloyal. When he learns Jesus' name, he reports it to the religious leaders. He "tattles" on Jesus rather than being thankful for his healing and loyal to his healer (5:15).
  7. Unrepentant (5:14-15). There's no indication that he accepted and acted on Jesus' rebuke about his sin; rather John tells us that he reports Jesus to the authorities.

The invalid’s faith?

Zero faith

He choosed a unbeliever and invalid for 38 years.

knowing nothing about Jesus and lack of belief in Christ who can do anything.

We resist it because we don't know the real meaning of grace. Grace means you don't deserved it, but God intended it for you, according to his own plan and purpose for your life. Gift means for you, without you making any effort, you did not work for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I would describe the invalid's character as self centered and feeling sorry for himself.

The invalid's faith is misplaced. He is placing his faith in the water to heal him.

Jesus' healing of the invalid demonstrates the grace of God by showing us He was willing to heal the invalid even though he didn't deserve it.

We humans find it difficult to accept grace when it is offered to us because we are so works oriented. Many think they can get to heaven by doing good works rather than placed their faith in Christ to save them from their sins.

We resist the concept that God's gifts are entirely by grace because we like to think we are self sufficient and can make it to heaven on our own by doing good works.

Some suggest it is because this man is the only one who had given up all hope of ever getting into the pool.10 This man had been sick 38 years. I wonder how many other experiments this man had tried to get healed. He was ready to hope in something else. If that is true, it is analagous to the principle that people have to recognize they are lost before they are ready to trust in Christ. But, what is very evident in this miracle story, is that this man did not even know who Jesus was and so his faith was not involved.

I think it is interesting to note that the solution to the man’s problem was Jesus, but he could not see it. He was focused on getting to the pool. He wanted to use Jesus to help him get to the pool. He was not looking to Jesus for the healing.

After 38 years, this man’s problem had become a way of life. No one had ever helped him. He had no hope of ever being healed and no desire to help himself. The man’s situation looked hopeless. But no matter how trapped you feel in your infirmities, God can minister to your deepest needs. Don’t let a problem or hardship cause you to lose hope. God may have special work for you to do in spite of your condition, or even because of it. Many have ministered effectively to hurting people because they have triumphed over their own hurts.

• 2 months later...

I feel the man was probably a bit of a user and complainer. He was basically faithless in God but he believed in the waters only. God cares about people even when they turn their back on him. We might feel that we do not really deserve grace. We do not want to really let go of our past hurts. We do not realize that God can love us even when we can not love ourselves. We feel that there has to be a catch somewhere because in this human world, we do not get something for nothing.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (John 5:1-16)  How would you describe the invalid's character?  The invalid's faith?  How does Jesus' healing here demonstrate the grace of God?  Why do we humans find it difficult to accept grace when it is offered to us?  Why do we resist the concept that God's gifts are entirely by grace?

How would you describe the invalid's character?   I can’t say that I totally buy in to your depiction of this man’s character but I do see your point.  For the sake of argument, I submit the following: Obviously, the man was totally, or near totally disabled.  He’d been an invalid for 38 years so, my guess is that he was most likely overwhelmed by a desperate need to get well.  Over the course of those 38 years, he’d probably tried (unsuccessfully) anything and everything in his mortal power to improve his situation but he may have just given up.  He had to rely on others for support and to get him back and forth every day.  It doesn’t say this in the lesson but when the indigent and infirmed gathered at a gate like this they were, more often than not, begging for alms so he was probably a beggar as well.  I his condition, he was probably suffering spiritually (low self-esteem) as well.  I do appreciate your point that this man may have been a complainer but I believe that he may have simply been responding to questions asked of him by Jesus and not actually complaining about his lot in life (although he probably was).  Blamer?  Again, I see your point but when he was confronted by the Jewish official(s) he may have simply responded.  He had no idea at the time who had healed him, nor do I believe that he had even an inkling of the authority that this man may have had.  Personally, where I in the invalid’s shoes, I would follow the directions of anyone who had the awesome power to heal since he obviously had the authority to do so as well.  Yes, I’d say he was probably a sinner, everyone is.  This is made clear when Jesus followed him to the temple and warned him about continuing to sin.  Your argument is that “There's no indication that he accepted and acted on Jesus' rebuke…”  By the same token, there is nothing to indicate that he did not.  Did he actually “report” Jesus to the authorities, or after he discovered who had healed him, was he simply bragging to them that it was Jesus?   This man’s character is clearly in question but Jesus saw something of value in him so he must have had some redeeming qualities or He wouldn't have singled him out from the hundreds who were gathered there.

The invalid's faith?  How does Jesus' healing here demonstrate the grace of God?  It’s unclear about his faith in God but he obviously had no idea who Jesus was when he asked him if he wanted to get well so his faith that Jesus was the long-awaited Messiah didn’t seem to be an issue at the time.  People tend to believe that you need to have absolute faith for a miracle to happen but Jesus clearly showed that you don’t.  This man still didn’t know who He was even after he’d been healed.  Since he didn’t know who Jesus was, before or after the healing, he understandably didn’t receive him as the Messiah at the time either.  It appears that this man had done absolutely nothing in his life to deserve favor from the Lord yet he was healed through the Grace of God none the less.

Why do we humans find it difficult to accept grace when it is offered to us?  Why do we resist the concept that God's gifts are entirely by grace?  I personally believe that we all have serious doubts that God can truly accept us just as we are.  After all, we’re sinners and not only do we know first-hand the sins that we’ve committed, God does as well!  And-- as human beings, I think we have a really hard time trying to reconcile that.  God looks into our hearts and He knows our deepest, darkest secrets yet He loves us nonetheless and sometimes that’s a concept that’s really hard for us (human beings) to get ourselves around.  That kind of unconditional love is not something that comes natural to any of us and it stands firmly in the way of our accepting His grace.  Good works alone won’t get any of us into heaven but that doesn’t stop us from striving for just that.  Unfortunately, when we fall short of those aspirations we see that as failing God so how can He possibly love us?  His grace is something that’s totally undeserved, we need to understand that and remove the self-doubt that keeps us from accepting it.

• 5 months later...

The invalid that Jesus healed at the pool of Bethesda was an old, bitter, worn-down man who was probably a paralytic. ESV translates in verse 6 that Jesus “knew that he had already been there a long time”. Jesus had been coming by this pool all His life as He entered Jerusalem for feasts, and I can imagine He had seen this man so many times that He was looking to see if he was still there, now that He was in public ministry and performing miracles that could change that man's world.

Based on the question Jesus asked him, the man was probably a complainer filled with excuses, either unmotivated to actually accept healing or stripped of all hope by endless years of waiting. When Jesus asked if he desired healing, the paralytic never even said “yes”. He only blamed others as the reason why he'd never been healed. He demonstrated the self-pity of a victim mentality, but he had also endured a lifetime of being "invisible" to others and suffering scorn, loss, and disappointment that had beaten him down and made him cynical. His mind and soul were as paralyzed as his body was. It seems he didn't know of Jesus' reputation as a Healer, but he exhibited no faith.

Jesus knew there would never be any hope for this man to be healed at the pool and any faith the man had in that possibility was useless, so when He declared healing for the man it truly was a profound act of God's grace. In his cynicism, lack of hope and his spiritual blindness, this man offered no hint of faith - and yet Jesus healed anyway. The miracle's purpose was to demonstrate the glory and power of God, and to authenticate that Jesus was the Son of God. And it pictures the way He reaches down to us in our own spiritual blindness, hopelessness, and total lack of faith to bring us into the ultimate healing. None of us is worthy or able on our own.

Accepting grace requires a humility and honesty about self that we often resist. We don't want to examine and admit our true condition of need, or our own failures in attempting to change things ourselves. If we do have a sense of that need and failure, we may get overwhelmed with feelings of unworthiness that paralyze and leave us hopeless.  Or in with a perception of self-sufficiency we may just think we don't need someone's grace. The root problem is pride. This is what makes it hard for us to accept that God's gifts are only given by grace and there's nothing we can do to earn or provide them for ourselves.

• 1 year later...

I very much enjoy reading the all thoughts and opinions of the forum and am learning much. I am thinking that the invalid  most probably had such high hopes when he was put next to the pool and slowly over time lost more and more hope. Maybe at this point he was utterly discouraged and without any hope. Did he cry out to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in his desperation? Is that why Jesus singled him out and had mercy on him? For Jesus to find him in the temple might be an indication that he went there with a grateful heart to thank God.

• 11 months later...

I would describe the invalid’s character as a complainer, unrepentant, and not thankful. I don’t know about his faith. He didn’t seem to respond to Jesus when he rebuked him. The healing was all grace of the part of God. It doesn’t seem like the man wanted anything to do with God except to heal him. When grace if offer to us we think that we are losing control and don’t want anything to do with it. We don’t ever think that gifts are really free and there for we have to work for them. That is why it is that we resist God’s grace.