JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

I would describe this person as someone who has been fooled to think that this world holds the key to life for them eternal. I have gotten caught up in this world before until Jesus showed me a better way. I sometimes feel like I am on the outside of a window looking in. This has been going on since I was a child. Now I understand this world is truely not my home. I have a home in glory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

they're a kind whose being is not driven by purpose, and probably they lack a life driven purpose, which is Yahweh's reason of purpose for every one's existence,not in this homeland but through this place. unfortunately though fortunately, i've been in such at one time,but thank Yahweh our Elohim for His initiatives SALVATION AND REDEMPTION. we did not love HIM but He loved us to an extent that He gave in the best for us to have LIFE. differentiating life in this homeland, and life eternity. is what it takes to get our spiritual priorities.

yeah one thing and no other. THE TRUTH ABOUT YAHSHUWA THE MESSIAH AND THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN US.

• 5 weeks later...

As one who did it for many years, mainly due to a serious lack of trust and bad personal circumstances, I know that a Christian who identifies with Earth rather than Heaven, is one who does not carry the Presence of Christ with them. They blend in and follow the world, seeking it's approval.

While God can and does work in and through them, they never reach their true protential or richness of relationship with God that He wants them to have.

Praise God, I hung on in there and onto Him, and He NEVER let go of me. In January of this year I started going to Hanley Baptist Church, Hanley, Staffs. The church teaches about a personal relationship with God and gradually I have learned to walk and talk with Him, to trust Him and to know Him intimately. It is fair to say that after 20 years as a Christian, I have learned more in the last 6 months about a relationship with Him than in all the preceding years. Praise God for all He has done and is doing and for never letting me go.

A Christian who identifies more with this world than Heaven is one who does not truly understand what the Cross cost God. He is friends with the world and its approval means more than God's

Up to quite recently I blended in very well with the world. Praise God as I have got closer to Him and understood more of His love I have become more and more separated from this world. IT HAS NOTHING I WANT.

• 1 month later...

God's Word tells us to lay up for ourselves treasures in Heaven, but this person may seek his treasures on earth by trying to surround himself with all of the material wealth he could afford. - Yes I have, but the closer I become to the Lord the less I seek earthly treasures. - We have to come to the realization that the earth and all that is in it belongs to God and if we desire creation more than we desire the Creator our lives will be empty, joyless, and without real peace which only comes when we truly surrender all to him. Even our earthly treasures which really belong to Him any way.

I would describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one, that this individual doesn't know that we r only temporaily here on earth, and our real home is in heaven. We are in this world and not of it, and we have to realize this.[/font]

i would have to say that not everything is right with the person who feels too comfortable here on this earth than looking upward towards heaven. that person is missing out on what is most importand because what is here is only temporarily and nothing here can be taken to the next life, which is in heaven. they are missing out in the joys of God's promises of the treasures in heaven. i think we need to really think about what is most important to us God or the things we have here.

Q1: That kind of Christian could seem to enjoy the culture in his present homeland. He has adopted their culture rather than maintaining his heavenly culture which he represents.

Q2: Yes. Many times because the culture of this world is so tempting that most often I tend to forget my own.

Q3: I need to remind myself through God's word that I am just passing through this planet earth. My residence is heaven. I have to think and act heavenly things and meet my loyal heavenly friends often.

First, it becomes necessary to distinguish between a nationalistic Christian, which I believe this question addresses, and a worldly Christian, which is another breed of cat entirely.

Two excellent examples of Christians who manifested their nationalism were Judas Iscariot and Simon the Zealot. Consider the diverse ends of their paths. It is true that Judas never accepted Christ as Savior, but the same is true of countless professing Christians now and throughout the last 2000 years.

A nationalistic Christian is likely to choose expediency over truth, allegiance to country over God's commandments, and a compromising life over a sancitified, separated one. He (or she) may support abortion, or other such heinous concepts, simply because it is the law of the land. That professing Christian is always ready to 'render unto Caesar', completely ignoring the larger truth that Caesar, too, is God's. That person is of all Christians the most comfortable with Romans 13:1-7.

The significant error in such a Christian's testimony is that they are trying to follow two shepherds - they attempt to serve both God and Mammon. The sad result is that the Gospel is confuted and obscured through their witness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I believe a scripture states that we should live in this world not of this world meaning that we shouldn't be consumed with the worldly riches because the riches of the world won't help you in your eternal life with the Lord.

Sometimes I'd find myself wishing and dreaming over the latest new sport cars and I have to sit back and tell myself that there's something more for me with the Lord in eternal life.

Reading the bible always gets me grounded again.

• 3 weeks later...

He may not understand or see clearly that he's not part of this world. His values should be different so that he doesn't feel comfortable dealing straight across with worldly people in a worldly way.

• 5 weeks later...

I would describe the person more earth bound than heaven bound. Yes I was tied to this earth until my mom recently went home to be with the Lord. Now nothing will hold me here when the Lord is calling me home.

• 1 month later...

I believe a Christian that identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one, is a Christian who lacks true knowledge, and does not understand that we are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience.Due to lack of knowledge, many people have come to accept worldly ways. A popular saying is that "no church is perfect" or "no one is perfect, we all have faults" which the later may be true to some extent, but we strife for perfection in our daily walk. To accept that no church is perfect to me is in direct conflict with the Word, which says Jesus would come back for a church without spot or wrinkle." Church" being the body of Christ, the people, Christians.

As I study more of God's Word, I've learned to pray about , reject and resist the temptation to be worldy. I'm still learning.

In order to bring our spiritual priorities in line, we have to be diligent in our study of God's word, constantly praying and asking for guidiance. Seeking to put on the armor of God as in Ephesians 6. Work out our salvation as in Philippians 2: 12-13. In Galatians 5:16-26 teaches us to live by the Spirit, which is to me the goal of every true Christian.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. Describing the behavior of a Christian who identified more with this present homeland than this heavenly one could easily be seen in an addiction counseling room. Many Christians that have not learned to set their mind on Christ often lean to the support of drugs or alcohol or other addictive and sinful behaviors to help them cope with the problems of living. Character traits are often selfishness to the core and often an "entitlement" mentality which I find interesting. If one feels "entitled" in this world we set our sites on material things. If we understand that we are "entitled" to God's promises, and heavenly things, we would understand more how to live with power in this world, with Christian love.

Other traits one may identify with living "below" our entitled standards may be the following;

Complaining versus praise

Lazy versus action oriented

Impulsive versus thoughtful

Self-willed versus God directed

Worldy instead of Godly

Gossip, slander instead of truth

To name a few....

2. As a young Christian I struggled to give up worldy things. As I grew in Jesus, I came to understand His great love for me, and His desire for me to know and understand Him better. As I grew closer to Him, I let go of the things that once held me captive. Today, I would say that my struggles are more to do with staying calm in my spirit and showing a much greater love to others. People would say that I am a tremendously loving person. HOWEVER....my prayer lately has been, "God, help me to love others, better". Since that time, I have seen a lack of love in myself. Even though others say I am loving, I began to see that they were judging my behaviors to that of the world, around them....not in the standard of God's love for us. After this, I began to struggle to change and a spiritual battle became very apparant. But, that's ok. I'm gonna love anyway!....and try harder to be like Jesus. This has brought me to a greater level of surrender. Right where I want to be....holding on to the ROCK.

3. My husband was slandered on his job and then he lost that job. He is a very loving Christian man that is very full of God. After this, we lost our home. We had just adopted another baby. The financial pressure was turned up. Our church sorotof discarded us, I don't think we looked that great during our struggle even though I tried to walk in grace. This spiraled my husband into depression and folks, he is a man of faith. Can we be transparent here?...These trials have helped me return to a former, more faith filled walk that I started with. I am more dependent on God today. I am happily looking for His direction. The spiritual battle has pressed us to start a new work which could change the lives of many people, and yet, even this work we have had to surrender to God. We are like children waiting on their Father to move. Watching. Standing. Believing.

• 1 month later...

I think many Christians get caught up in this earthly life and often tend to forget where there hearts should be and where they should store their treasures.

I believe we all travel this road without thinking to often as to the consequences of our deeds,we get side tracked in worldly issues.

We need to focus on the cross and the reason for our salvation and rebirth through the death and resurrection of Jesus our Lord.We are born again into Christ and become co heirs with Him in all that the father has .

The things of this Earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace (Amen)

To me, a Christian tha identifies with the world more than heaven is not focused on God. They are living in fear and disbelief. This world cannot meet our needs. We have to live in this world,but we are not of this world. Yes, I use to catch myself doing the same thing. What has to happen, we have to realize who we are in Christ and who Christ really is. We have to realize that God is tha Great I Am. He will provide for our every need. We have to believe, trust, and depend on God completely. He has to come first in everything in our life.

• 1 month later...

How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

A "Christian" who more easily identifes with this present home should wonder if they truly are a Christian. A Christian who is of this world, and does not repent or change his/her ways, is not truly Christ-like. I have caught myself acting and thinking of this world, but it takes more time in the Word, in prayer, and in church. I am not perfect but have learned to quickly repent if I find myself (with the Holy Spririt's nudgings) being of this world. It has taken some time, but I have learned that being of this world is to be independent of God in attitude and deed. To truly identify with heaven, i need to be fully dependent on God and realize that I am made for His glory and purpose, not my own. I disagree with some posts that say it is spirtual immaturity. I know new Christians who have a better and more excited view of heavenly living than some who have been supposed Christians for years. I believe it has to do with the state of our heart and its desires, for what is in the heart will come out. Remember that even those who do the Christian deeds may not always be true believers. Even Jesus has said, in Matthew 7:21-23 "...not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father, which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." My desire is to not only appear to be a good Christian but to be one whose actions are motivated by a desire to please God, my Father.

• 3 weeks later...

His behavior won't differ much from that of a non-Christian in his priorites in this life; one would be hard pressed to recognize him as a follower of Christ. I have been guilty of this kind of behavior and even now I cannot safely say I no longer practise it. I am so thankful to our gracious Lord that each time I stumbled, whether in thought or deed or word, the Holy Spirit would lovingly give me a "nudge". Having said that I also realize that my priorities have definitely changed tremendously since the day when my world caved in and the Lord came to my rescue and restored me to a renewed relationship with Him. I guess most people, like me, don't or won't recognize what the really important things are until they come to the end of themselves and all they see is total darkness and hopelessness.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this?

He starts storing up treasures here on earth. He wants the things of this world. He puts himself first. He doesn't long for the things of God. His priorities are wrong. He stops putting himself in Gods hands he isn't relying on God.

What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

We have to repent and turn back to God. We must stay in his Word.

• 4 weeks later...

We often compromise our beliefs, behaviour and desires with those worldly people around us - often our own family members. It is so easy to do this with all the pressures of this world and a desire to find the easy way out. Jesus, however, tells us to forsake our worldly, fleshly spirit to obey the Kingdom Spirit.

I often feel I should speak up but remain silent to keep the peace and not become dissensious. It is less hurtful not to be rejected than to do what Jesus would have done. However we can react to sin in love.

We need to spend time in the company of other Christians, to learn from them, get support and encouragement from them and be accountable to them. In prayer we need to be accountable to God.

• 3 weeks later...

His or her behaviour will reflect the behaviour and priorities of the world. They will seek worldly pleasures rather than being obedient to God's will. It seems like a person like this is not ready for his/her heavenly home. Rom 12: 1-2 says "Do not be conformed to this world.... ". Ocassionally I have caught myself being quite comfortable in this worldly home, then I just refer back to the Word of God to get closer to God. James 4:8 specifically states that if we draw close to God He will draw closeto us, and if we are close to Him, we will not identify with the present homeland. Matthew 6:33 says that we should seek the Kingdom first, and that helps me to get my priorities in line with what God wants from me. I physically go out to visit the ill and strive to be obedient to Him all the time, which helps me get my prioirites straight. If we realise how much God really loves us, what He has done for us, then it would be easier to get our prioirtites straight.