JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Continue in My Word

• 1 month later...

In these verses Jesus defined the mark of a real, authentic disciple as one who abides, remains, dwells, continues in His word.  I think this is the practical picture of what it means to abide in Him, since Jesus Himself is the Word.  Consistent and diligent time and study in His Word is the crucial starting point, but not what it fully means to abide and continue in it.  That comes as we listen to Him, internalize what we've learned (“eat” and “drink” of Him),  and submit to the Spirit as He leads us in obeying the Word.  We learn to apply the Word to real life.  We rest our faith in the Word.  The action of continuing in the Word in this way is not what saves us, as some would take verses 31-32 to say.  It is the outward evidence of the authentic transformation that has occurred within.

The truth that sets us free is the truth that Jesus is the Truth!  He is the Holy One sent from God who would pay the price for our salvation from sin to set us free from its bondage and consequences. He came so that He could then extend mercy and forgiveness to any and all who believe on who He is and what He has done.  It is the truth that there’s no other way to be received in to the Father heaven except through Jesus.

When used in a secular context, “the truth will set you free” can only refer to what humans perceive as true from our transient perspective of life on earth.  The context of Jesus’ statement is very different and much broader because it refers to God’s spiritual truth that comes from His own character and His enduring perspective of real life in eternity. 

Q3. (John 8:31-32) What is the mark of a “real” disciple?

Jesus said a real disciple is one who holds to His teaching.

What does it mean to “continue” in Jesus’ word?

There are "shooting star" Christians who walk with Him for a time, are on fire, then "fizzle" out and move on to other things. To continue in His Word, means to read it, "chew" on it, meditate on it, memorize it and to be convinced of it. We are to know it and to be able to share it with those who are still in darkness.To understand that His Word is truth and is alive for teaching for rebuking and for training in righteousness.  It's His main means of communicating with us, and is His instruction "manual" for believers. It's the weapon He's given us to defeat the enemy. It is a "staff" to walk with every day until we come home to Him in Heaven.

What truth sets us free?

The only real spiritual freedom is found in the Word of God...spiritual truth, versus secular "truth". The truth of the Gospel which tells us that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God sent to save sinners from the second death and hell. It's also the truth that Jesus is the Person of Grace, God's love Gift to a lost and dying world, and that He is the only way to the Father and eternal life.

When this is quoted in a secular content, how does its meaning differ from its context here in John’s Gospel?

In the secular realm it is quoted to underscore whatever dogma or ideology is being taught, as valid and incontrovertibly true.

(John 8:31-32) What is the mark of a “real” disciple? What does it mean to “continue” in Jesus’ word? What truth sets us free? When this is quoted in a secular content, how does its meaning differ from its context here in John’s Gospel? 

The mark of a real disciple is one who permanently holds on to Jesus' teachings. To "continue" means to believe and accepts Jesus' teachings in the long run. The truth that Jesus means is spiritual truth which can set us free from sin, from ignorance and superstitions. This spiritual truth parallels secular truths but differ in the sense that secular truths do not always set us free from sin. 

Q3. (John 8:31-32) What is the mark of a "real" disciple? What does it mean to "continue" in Jesus' word? What truth sets us free? When this is quoted in a secular content, how does its meaning differ from its context here in John's Gospel?

The mark of a "real"disciple of Christ the one who believes and abide or continue to hold on to the teaching/ word of the Lord.

To "continue" means never abandoning the teaching/ word of Jesus but to stick to it forever.

The truth that sets us free is the spiritual truth of the word of Jesus that convicts of sin and if we respond positively in faith by accepting and living continuously in it we are set free from sin and its penalty.

In secular context, it may be quoted to among other things, to mean educational truth that sets free from poverty; or knowledge of truth on health isuues that keeps away from sickness if apply that truth.

(John 8:31-32) What is the mark of a “real” disciple?

1.  Those who continue to believe in Jesus teachings. 

2.  Remain and abide in Jesus teachings.

What truth sets us free? When this is quoted in a secular content, how does its meaning differ from its context here in John’s Gospel?        

3.  Truth that sets us free is the spiritual truth.    Secular content vs. John's context is that Jesus' spiritual truth can set people free from sin that otherwise can enslave them, so long as they continue to affirm and live in this truth. Secular content does not always set us free.

Q3. (John 8:31-32) What is the mark of a "real" disciple? What does it mean to "continue" in Jesus' word? What truth sets us free? When this is quoted in a secular content, how does its meaning differ from its context here in John's Gospel?

A real disciple wants to spend much time with the master, in HIs Word or in prayer with Him. That is to continue in Jesus' word.

All truth will set us free however it is what we are set free from that makes a difference.  Worldly truth sets us free from the lies concocted by men about worldly issues i.e. deflate gate.  Spiritual truth sets us free from the untruths about God and Jesus His Son. When we accept this truth we are set free from the penalty of our sin.  We know we will live with Jesus forever in His Kingdom of light and that kingdom starts here and now for us in our hearts and the light of His Word.  Doesn't His Word bring light into your life and don't words spring out at you as you see things in a new light.  It is so very marvelous and joyous to get together with someone of like mind.  I have one person like that.  Otherwise I consider where I live to be in such darkness of thinking.

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q3. (John 8:31-32) What is the mark of a “real” disciple? What does it mean to “continue” in Jesus’ word? What truth sets us free? When this is quoted in a secular content, how does its meaning differ from its context here in John’s Gospel?

8:29 notes state that Just as Jesus wanted to please his father, that should be in a disciple's heart as well.  Jesus said in verse 31 that those who remain faithful to his teachings (New Living Translation), they are his disciples. Other translations use the following words:

"If you live by what I say, you are truly my disciples..."

"If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples..."

“If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples..."

"If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine..."

"If you continue to follow my teaching..."

The promise in verse 31 ("you are really my disciples...") and verse 32 ("Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free...") are conditional to the believer remaining faithful to his teachings.

Q3. (John 8:31-32) What is the mark of a “real” disciple? What does it mean to “continue” in Jesus’ word? What truth sets us free? When this is quoted in a secular content, how does its meaning differ from its context here in John’s Gospel?

The mark of a real disciple is a person who continues to believe in Jesus teachings, permanently living in the word for the rest of his life.

To continue in Jesus word means just that, to live a life devoted to the truth that Christ has taught.

If people who continually live in Jesus truth, are indeed set free from the sin that enslaves them.

In a secular content truth that can set people free or give them freedom from poverty because they have received an education and know how to better themselves. This of course is not a spiritual freedom that can release them from enslaved sin and have a life eternal with Christ.  

Q3. (John 8:31-32) 

What is the mark of a "real" disciple? 

What does it mean to "continue" in Jesus' word? 

What truth sets us free? 

When this is quoted in a secular content, how does its meaning differ from its context here in John's Gospel?

Jesus makes a distinction between a nominal disciple who professes to be a learner and a true or real disciple who is committed to the Lord Jesus Christ. The real disciple’s faith is always strong and consistent, never wavering. They are truly born again. To "continue" in the Word means to be consistently studying, meditating and applying His Word to their lives – persevering until the end of their lives. The truth about Jesus sets the real disciple free. Jesus makes this promise that every true disciple shall know the truth, and it is this spiritual truth that makes them free from bondage. Unfortunately the Jews did not recognise this truth and they stayed in bondage to ignorance, sin, law, and superstition. It is only when we truly know the Lord Jesus that we discover that we are delivered from sin, walk in the light, and are led by the Holy Spirit of God. Jesus is speaking about spiritual truth and not secular or scientific truth. 

A real disciple shows complete, single-minded commitment in following Jesus’ teaching and way of life.  To continue in Jesus’ word, means not to fall away.  The truth that sets us free is the true nature of Jesus as the Son of God.  In a secular context its meaning is to be aware of human truths, such as science, the benefit of education etc.

1.Jesus is the source of truth. The  perfect standard of what is right and to be the best disciple we have to stay in His word and believe what we read and use these words to draw others into His family.scriptures tells us His word is the truth and the truth will set you free.

2.To read our bibles daily believe what we read pray for wisdom and knowledge as we read and it will be revealed to us. this is what He meant when he said ye shall know the truth and the truth will set you free.

3.His word believe what we read and have faith that this is from Jesus.

4.When we truly know Jesus Christ we know His words are true. Jesus perfect truth frees us to be all that God meant us to be.

Q3. (John 8:31-32) What is the mark of a "real" disciple?

After Jesus spoke these words of truth (V29) that God is his Father, it was He who sent him and that the Father was with him, and after Jesus spoke on the importance of “OBEDIENCE” by setting the example and proclaiming ”He always does things that pleases the Father,” that many of the Jews believed on him, it was then that Jesus brought another important teaching of truth - “IF” - a conditional particle, if you continue in my word, to stay and to walk in “faith” will you be marked as a real disciple, student of mine.

The poplar quotation, “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free,” is conditioned on obeying what the Messiah says, which is more than mentally acknowledging who he is.

Q4. What does it mean to "continue" in Jesus' word?

They will know us by our “fruits”; our walk in life will proclaim God’s “truth”.

Q5. What truth sets us free?

God’s truth is a “light” before our path, it shines a light on darkness, that of sin, setting us free from ignorance and the philosophy of man.

• 3 weeks later...

Continue, remain, abide, there is a sense of permanence here, which we an find in hispanic bibles for John 15:4 "Permaneced en mí, y yo en vosotros"  Being part of the vine is not just a temporary thing, it is necessary for this permanent connection to bring fruit. Disconnection branches die.

A real disciple is not just a 9-5 job, it is 24/7. OK, even in the Superbowl thee are timeouts, but in our case this means to catch our breath, and let God recharge us. Easier said than done........... Still, to be set free from sin and worry, there is no other way. Only God decides the price we pay in this journey. He know us so well

The mark of a real disciple is the holding (having, holding close) the teachings of Jesus and to the person of Jesus. The "holding" is a trusting and abiding in and abiding with. It is to be in a love relationship with Jesus. So its more than a pupil, student or follower relationship,. It entails a deep

appreciation and thankfulness and gratitude to the Father and the Son.

This abiding is not just a one time affair but an ever deepening and continuing experience

What truth sets us free? That this abiding in Jesus and his teaching does indeed set us free. The

teaching is that we are loved and that our sins are forgiven and we are rescued by Jesus, that is the whole gospel story. This is the truth and it sets us free- free from the 'tyranny of the devil'.

Secularist lay claim to "then" part of the verse but substitute the "if" statement of Jesus with general education.

What is the mark of a “real” disciple?

The mark of a real disciple is the one who believed and do his teachings continuesly and permanently.

31  To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples

You followed; and you continue to be a follower; you stayed as a follower; you often and always be a follower; you exercised his teaching as a follower.

John 8:31 (KJV)
31  Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

What truth sets us free?

There is a good result in following the teaching of Jesus and only by this you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.

By continues studying of Jesus words and exercising it, the Spirit will teach you the truth and will set you free from bondage of sin.

John 8:32 (KJV)
32  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

When this is quoted in a secular content, how does its meaning differ from its context here in John’s Gospel?

In secular content they are quoting the verse 32 whenever someone is being accused in the court of law. And in education setting free from ignorance and poverty. But the real sense is that Jesus' spiritual truth will set us free from sin that enslave us as long as we continue to follow his words and live in his words.

Of course, there is a general sense in which any kind of truth sets a person free from ignorance, from superstitions, from false charges in a court of law. And education's truths can set people free from poverty, perhaps. These are the senses in which the world quotes the phrase. But the sense in which Jesus spoke it -- as can be easily demonstrated from the context -- is that Jesus' spiritual truth can set people free from sin that otherwise can enslave them, so long as they continue to affirm and live in this truth.

• 3 weeks later...

If you believe in Jesus, himself is the truth that sets us free. He is the source of truth, the perfect standard of what is right. He frees us from the consequences of sin, from self-deception, and from deception by Satan. He shows us clearly the way to eternal life with God. Thus, Jesus does not give us freedom to do what we want, but freedom to follow God. As we seek to serve God, Jesus’ perfect truth frees us to be all that God meant us to be.

• 2 months later...

A real disciple is one that not only learns the teachings of Jesus but who lives by those teachings. It is a permanent change of lifestyle for them. They try to live a sin free life. They never turn their back on the Lord. Heavenly truth is what sets a person free from the worldly place. We no longer think and feel in a worldly way. We treasure our hearts and souls more than we cherish worldly possessions. In the secular content, this statement does not have the same meaning. It deals with the truth of this world. It sets people free from guilt. It might free the innocent from jail or even a trial. But the truths are only those that are surface truths. They do not reach a person's soul.

• 2 years later...

When we really hold to Jesus' teaching and follow Him as Lord He opens our spiritual  eyes and enables us to see and live in the reality of the kingdom of God. His truth frees us more and more from the things that ensnare and entangle us in this world and it is wonderful that the Lord sets us free to live our life as His new creation, being transformed into His likeness. 

I often find that Christian use ...and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free, without quoting and being aware of  the preceding verses. In doing so they pick and choose certain scriptures out of context and things can become very imbalanced.

• 1 year later...

The mark of a “real” disciple is that we believe in Jesus and we do what he wants us to. To “continue in Jesus’ word is to continue in the study of the Bible. The truth that is in the Bible is what will set us free. The difference in the secular content of the truth will set you free and the Bible is that in secular world if you speak the truth that will set you free but the bible is saying if you believe in Jesus that will set you free.

• 7 months later...

Q3. (John 8:31-32) What is the mark of a “real” disciple? What does it mean to “continue” in Jesus’ word? What truth sets us free? When this is quoted in a secular content, how does its meaning differ from its context here in John’s Gospel? According to Matthew Henry's Commentary,  it states that the character of the true disciple of Christ. If you continue in My word, then are you, My disciples, indeed. They must be willing to continue to believe in His word and do what it says. What does it look like to continue in His word? It means to abide by it and adhere to it on every occasion without being partial and choose to not to forsake it to the end. The secular version is they choose what scriptures apply to them and nothing more. While in the Biblical sense people choose everything to read and absorb to apply to their lives.

• 2 years later...

The mark of the true disciple is placing personal reliance on Christ.  The believers mind is settled; he knows that he knows !  He has a certitude, there is no doubting.  The personal attitude is crucial;  true freedom is gained by abiding in the Vine.  

Continuing in the faith is crucial.   Daily mortification of the flesh is very important.  The old man must be dealt with.   This is where sanctification comes in.    We go from glory to glory; we are still being reforned..  For John freedom is salvation, deliverance from sin.   Pauline epistles explain this intricate detail.   We have put on Christ; we have died to the old life.

The truth is that Christ's doctrine is true and  free men from sin.  Pauline doctrines made it clear that Christ alone has freed us from the Mosaic Law.  As the true Son of God, Chrit is the master in his Father's house.   Only Christ can emancipate us slaves of sin by delivering us from sin.

The world takes John 8:32 to support secular humanism.   During the time of the enlightening and rationalism;  various thinkers have denigrated Christ's nature and mission.   Prime example is the French revolution;   various philosophers denied the Christain faith and exalted rationalism.  Our society had been unudated with this thinking.    European existentialists also have been part of this as well with the exception of Soren Kirkegaard and Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

• 9 months later...

What is the mark of a "real" disciple? A real disciple holds to Jesus' teaching.  He clings to it, he continues in it and does not move away from it.  

What does it mean to "continue" in Jesus' word?   The teaching becomes part and parcel of his life, he does not let it go , come what may. 

What truth sets us free?  Jesus' teaching holds the truth. If we follow His teaching we will be set free from sin and death.  The truth is that He indeed is the Son of God, He indeed is the Saviour of the world, He indeed is our Redeemer, He indeed paid the penalty for my sin.  Holding to this, believing this, sets me free.

When this is quoted in a secular content, how does its meaning differ from its context here in John's Gospel?  In a secular content this can mean that revealing the truth of an incident can actually prevent one from getting into serious trouble.  It can also be just setting you free from guilt, that even if falsely accused you know you spoke the truth and are free from real guilt.