JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. Before Abraham, I AM

• 1 month later...

Jesus Christ is the “I AM” who existed before Abraham and called him to be the father of a great nation of God.  He is I AM who revealed this name to Moses in the burning bush as He set in motion the divine plan to deliver His people from slavery.  He is I AM, the self-existent One, the Alpha and Omega who was, and is, and shall forever be the true and living Lord God Almighty (Revelation 1:4,8; 4:8).  He is the Word who was with God in the beginning of creation when all things were made.  Jesus is I AM who is equal with God because He IS GOD.  He is I AM, the source of life and the light for all mankind, I AM who can never be overcome by the darkness of evil and sin. (John 1:1-5) Hallelujah, what a Savior!

Q6. (John 8:58) What does Jesus’ statement, “Before Abraham was, I am,” tell us about Jesus?

It tells us that Jesus is Creator God...who created everything and everyone....including Abraham. He is eternal and has always existed and will always exist. His answers are always the truth, full of wisdom. Even when He's being accused, He is focused on those listening who may turn and receive Him.

How does this statement relate to John 1:1-5?

Jesus is restating to the enemies that He is the living Word Who was with God, in the beginning and in fact is God. He is telling them He created them and all that they have and are surrounded by...the Great I AM, His gift to them, Whom they are rejecting because they belong to their father the devil. He is telling them He is Life and Light shining on and into their darkened minds which are unreceptive to Truth, because they are blinded by the devil.

(John 8:58) What does Jesus’ statement, “Before Abraham was, I am,” tell us about Jesus? How does this statement relate to John 1:1-5? 

The statement points to Jesus' eternal timlessness - Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." (Hebrews 13:8) God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit exists outside of time. This relates to John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

Q6. (John 8:58) What does Jesus' statement, "Before Abraham was, I am," tell us about Jesus? How does this statement relate to John 1:1-5?

The statement tells that Jesus is God and existed before Abraham.

This agrees with 1 John 1: 1-5 which tells us that Jesus was there at the beginning and is God through him everything was created.

Q6. (John 8:58) What does Jesus’ statement, “Before Abraham was, I am,” tell us about Jesus? How does this statement relate to John 1:1-5?

Both tell us that Jesus is timeless, eternal God, Jehovah, I AM, the Word.  He has no beginning and no end.  This earth shall pass away but He will never pass away.  He does not grow old and feeble.  He is eternally the same.  We can ever surely trust in Him because He will not change, His Word endures forever.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q6. (John 8:58) What does Jesus’ statement, “Before Abraham was, I am,” tell us about Jesus? How does this statement relate to John 1:1-5?

Jesus statement "before Abraham was, I am", tells us that Jesus is stating the fact that He is eternally existent, existing with God the father.

In John 1:1-5, Jesus exist with God the Father from the beginning of time, all things were created by and through Jesus. he was and is the Word of God. 

Q6. (John 8:58) 

What does Jesus' statement, "Before Abraham was, I am," tell us about Jesus? 

Jesus’ statement is nothing less than a claim to full deity. He did not say that before Abraham He was, which would simply state that He came into existence before Abraham. Instead He uses the Name of God: I AM; meaning that our Lord Jesus had dwelt with God the Father from all eternity. That is why He said that before Abraham was, I AM. This is confirmed in John 1:1-5 where we learn that Jesus existed from all eternity. He was never created. He had no beginning, and all things were created through Him. He is the truth, the light that shines in the darkness! 

(John 8:58) What does Jesus’ statement, “Before Abraham was, I am,” tell us about Jesus? How does this statement relate to John 1:1-5?          

• Jesus is saying that he existed before Abraham and also applied God's holy name to himself.  Jesus is saying that he not only precedes Abraham in time, but he exists timelessly.  This statement relates to John 1:1-5 because it shows Jesus is fully human and fully God.  He took on becoming full human and to live as man but never ceased being eternal God who always existed. 

Jesus’s statement “Before Abraham was, I am” tells us that he is God.  This relates to the beginning of St John’s Gospel which starts, “In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.”  This is a clear statement that God the Father and Son are one being.

58  'I tell you the truth,' Jesus answered, 'before Abraham was born, I am!'"

According to the notes, the statement "I am" is used in the present tense not in the past. The reaction of at least some of the hearers, suggests that they believe Jesus is implying that he is God, because they want to kill him after he said it. In addition, the notes suggest that it is clear Jesus is identifying himself with Yahweh when he made this statement I am, similar to "I am who I am" Exodus 3:13-14, when God told Moses his name.

John 1:1-5 suggests that Jesus is God, "...the word was God..."

• 3 weeks later...

Q6. (John 8:58) What does Jesus' statement, "Before Abraham was, I am," tell us about Jesus? How does this statement relate to John 1:1-5?

This is simply the greatest stuff! He is telling the truth. He is the eternal, living word. That is how John put it in 1:1-5.

How marvelous that God would come here to be with us, to show us first hand how he loves all and is the servant king to all!

It is also amazing how simply He an say something that means so much about who He is, the great "I AM" But He had to make it simple, because His sheep are not so smart when the devil is constantly trying to distract us. You can't blame him, his days are numbered.

Still we must remain in HIM, otherwise the journey will be very risky at best.

• 2 weeks later...

Q6. (John 8:58)

What does Jesus’ statement, “Before Abraham was, I am,” tell us about Jesus?

That Jesus is God, he and the Father are one. He already exist even before the beginning of this world. He is the author and the finisher of this world.

Notice he didn't say, before Abraham "I was" (past tense), which you'd expect him to say, speaking about his pre-existence, but "I am" (present tense). It is clear that Jesus is identifying himself with Yahweh, the great I AM who appeared to Moses at the burning bush.

The context of John 8:58 is time. Jesus is saying that he not only precedes Abraham in time, but he exists timelessly!

Jesus is already telling the Jew's that he is the Divine, The Humanity, and the only One, the Maker of all these works. But they didn't understand.

John 1:1-5 (KJV)
1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2  The same was in the beginning with God.
3  All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4  In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5  And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

• 2 weeks later...

God told Abraham, the father of the Jewish nation, that through him all nations would be blessed (Genesis 12:1-7; 15:1-21). Abraham had been able to see this through the eyes of faith. Jesus, a descendant of Abraham, blessed all people through his death, resurrection, and offer of salvation.

This is one of the most powerful statements uttered by Jesus. When he said that he existed before Abraham was born, he undeniably proclaimed his divinity. Not only did Jesus say that he existed before Abraham; he also applied God’s holy name (I AM—Exodus 3:14) to himself (see NLT text note). This claim demands a response. It cannot be ignored. The Jewish leaders tried to stone Jesus for blasphemy because he claimed equality with God. But Jesus is God. How have you responded to Jesus, the Son of God?

John wrote to believers everywhere, both Jews and non-Jews (Gentiles). As one of Jesus’ 12 disciples, John was an eyewitness so his story is accurate. His book is not a biography (like the book of Luke); it is a thematic presentation of Jesus’ life. Many in John’s original audience had a Greek background. Greek culture encouraged worship of many mythological gods, whose supernatural characteristics were as important to Greeks as genealogies were to Jews. John shows that Jesus is not only different from but superior to these gods of mythology.

• 2 months later...

Jesus is telling us that he always exists. He was there at the beginning of time. he is here now and he will always be in the future. Jesus the son has always been with God the father.

• 1 month later...

To the Jews, Abraham was (and still is) the greatest man who would ever live and in that context Jesus is saying that He (Jesus) had been in God's plan from the very beginning and in effect is telling them that, "I am" before Abraham in both power and authority.

He is reiterating exactly what John says in 1:2 in that He was with God from the very beginning, thus He was clearly “before” Abraham in time and v1 makes it abundantly clear that He was also “before” Abraham in power AND authority.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

This statement states that before Abraham was even created Jesus was already there. It states that Jesus is God incarnate and is equal with God. Also, it states that He was with God when the earth was formed. 

• 2 years later...

John 8:58 underlines that Christ is stating that he is greater than Abraham.  Christ uses the divine name "I am".  Here we have terrestrial time and heavenly eternity are joined together.  He is the Jewish Messiah in history whose existence was in eternity. CHRIST is now flesh in time.

John 8:58 confirms John 1:1-5 in two ways. Christ is Light from Light, eternal Logos.  In Christ are embodied all the treasures of the divine wisdom (Colossians 2:2-3; 1 Corinthians 1:24).  Christ is from eternity in his Incarnation; Christis the utterance of thought of Deity; Deity is now expressed.   There is no 'he' in the Greek in John 8:24, 28, reminding us  of the name of God in Exodus 3:14-15.."I am" means the Eternal, the ever present One.

• 9 months later...

Q6. (John 8:58) What does Jesus' statement, "Before Abraham was, I am," tell us about Jesus?

The statement tells us that He existed before Abraham.  

In John 1 it is clearly stated that  God was in the Beginning and Christ was with Him and Christ was He.

So the statement in John 8 relates to the statements in John 1 in that both acknowledge His presence long ago.  Not in usual age. like a person would normally be.