JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Luke 22:25-27) In the world, Great Men have others serve them and exalt them with great titles. How is the Kingdom of God to be different than that?

The Kingdom of God is to be lived out as Jesus did...in humility, love and service. Seeking the good of others instead of "looking out for #1".  Instead of seeking fame and fortune Jesus demonstated living in dependence upon Him in the same way He depended upon His Father.

How has Roman Catholic Pope Francis I set an example of humility before his flock?

He lived "small" and unpretentiously. He chose a small space to live in rather than the magnificence of the Vatican apartments. He knelt and asked for prayer as his first act as Pope.

(Luke 22:25-27) In the world, Great Men have others serve them and exalt them with great titles. How is the Kingdom of God to be different than that? How has Roman Catholic Pope Francis I set an example of humility before his flock? 

The Kingdom of God must be different: Matt 23:8-12

• But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers.
  • And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.
  • Nor are you to be called 'teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ.
  • The greatest among you will be your servant. 
For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." 

Pope Francis' example:
  • Takes the bus to work.
  • Pays for his hotel bill. 
  • Declined to wear red papal shoes in favor of priestly black.
  • Refused to live in the lush papal apartment in favor of a two-room guesthouse on the Vatican grounds.
  • First act as Pope was to kneel before the people gathered in St. Peter's square and ask people to pray for him.

(Luke 22:25-27) In the world, Great Men have others serve them and exalt them with great titles. How is the Kingdom of God to be different than that? How has Roman Catholic Pope Francis I set an example of humility before his flock?        

• In the Kingdom of God it is different because the greatest serves the least. 
  • Pope Francis I set an example of simple, humble living.

Q3. (Luke 22:25-27) In the world, Great Men have others serve them and exalt them with great titles. How is the Kingdom of God to be different than that? How has Roman Catholic Pope Francis I set an example of humility before his flock?

Similar to the answer to the pervious question: Jesus taught his disciples to be humble and not to think that they were of a more high status than any body else. He taught his disciples to be servants.

Paul also taught this (Phil 2:2-3).

By the looks of it Pope Francis is a humble man.

He demonstrated this by:

Asking his congregation to pray for him as he knelt in front of them. In other ways too.

Q3. (Luke 22:25-27) 

In the world, Great Men have others serve them and exalt them with great titles. 

How is the Kingdom of God to be different than that? 

How has Roman Catholic Pope Francis I set an example of humility before his flock?

In the Kingdom of God all will be expected to serve humbly in imitation of our Lord Jesus. He is the perfect example of lowly service. It always amazes me to think of what Jesus did for us on the cross – to give His life for us! This love, grace, and mercy shown is beyond the comprehension of our finite minds. As I read somewhere - “His greatness was manifest in the depth of His humiliation”. For me, an example of humility shown by a leader in this world, is that of the past president of Uruguay, President Jose Mujica. Among his many examples of humility was his an austere lifestyle, and the giving of about 90% of his salary to charities that benefit poor people and small entrepreneurs. 

I read this news item today which again shows Pope Francis’ humility in serving others.

2015-03-11. Pope to wash feet of prisoners at Rome prison

Vatican City - Pope Francis will perform the pre-Easter foot-washing ritual at Rome's main prison this year. The Vatican said on Wednesday that inmates from the Rebibbia prison and a nearby women's facility will participate in the Holy Thursday service, which is meant to show Francis' willingness to serve others as Jesus did. Francis' decision in 2013 to wash the feet of women and Muslim inmates at a juvenile detention centre helped define his rule-breaking papacy just two weeks after his election. It riled traditionalist Catholics, who pointed to the Vatican's own regulations that the ritual be performed only on men since Jesus' 12 apostles were men. Last year, Francis travelled to a centre for the elderly and disabled for the service. 

Lesson 23 Q 3

The kingdom of God is in upside down affair where the first are last and those on top are encouraged to go low. It has been refreshing to see the head of the Roman Catholic Church manifest humility. Only God can read one's heart and all of us must ask the hard question of our selves that what we do and how we show what we do is for God's glory and that we do it to help those he has entrusted us to serve.

The Kingdom of God is the reverse of worldly values.  St Paul talks about how much the reverse Christian values are in Corinthians 1 I:20-25.  Pope Francis has set a fantastic example as described by Pastor Ralph by making his life as lowly as possible.  What Pastor Ralph did not mention and which I think is very important is Pope Francis’ gift for giving a very personal touch.  This really shows love.  I know that on being made Pope, he called his previous archdiocese and various people in Buenos Aires personally.  He even called his local newspaper vendor to cancel his newspaper.  No effort spared.

Q3. (Luke 22:25-27) In the world, Great Men have others serve them and exalt them with great titles. How is the Kingdom of God to be different than that? How has Roman Catholic Pope Francis I set an example of humility before his flock?

Great men of this world have other people serving and exalting them. This greatly feeds the pride of these people, making them feel great among others.  In the Kingdom of God Christians are not to seek or desire to be exalted or served by others. We are to humble ourselves and serve rather than be served.

Pope Francis has set a new standard for the hierarchy of the Catholic Church, instead of being treated as royalty and looking for all to serve him, because of his position he set a standard of simplicity as Christ had.      

The world's system of leadership is very different from the Kingdom's.Worldly leaders are often selfish and arrogant as they claw their way to the top. As a christian the leader is to be the one who serves best.

All Christians leaders need a servant heart

In the Kingdom we are all to be humble doing for others and putting others before us. we will depend upon our Lord and Savior.

he ask the people to pray for him to me this put himself in a servant position. He took much smaller place to live. To me he was showing humility and not being arrogant. He come to serve and to he serve with a good heart

The Kingdom of God is to be one where all serve and love one another in perfect harmony. It will be considered an honor to serve and not to be served.

Pope Francis has chosen not to live in the indulgence of the Vatican and has asked the people to pray for him.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• 2 weeks later...

In the Kingdom of God, honor from Him doesn't come through our expectations or desires for prestige and recognition.  When we seek those kinds of things for ourselves, our only reward is what we can gain from man.  “Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.” (Matthew 23:12)  As children of God we’re called to be like Christ, and He is the supreme example of obedience to God and selfless service to others.  Such humility pleases the Father and opens His hand to raise us up and release blessing.  In God’s Kingdom, great men serve others and exalt them with honor – and God ultimately exalts the humble with greater honor.

Pope Francis I has set a refreshing example of humility before God and those he serves.  He appears to be more concerned with things of heaven than with things that would exalt him on earth.  Just as Jesus said.

Q3. (Luke 22:25-27)

In the world, Great Men have others serve them and exalt them with great titles. How is the Kingdom of God to be different than that?

in the Kingdom of God the greatest serves the least, with Jesus leading the way.

Christ here takes occasion to explain the nature of his kingdom. He assures them that it is established on different principles from those of the world; that his subjects were not to expect titles, and power, and offices of pomp in his kingdom. He that would be most advanced in his kingdom would be he that was most humble; and in order to show them this, he took a towel and girded himself after the manner of a servant, and washed their feet, to show them what ought to be their feelings toward each other.

Wherever he goes he always brought the same kind of humility of living a simple humble life as a servant by paying the hotels bills on his own money, and wear a simple black shoes instead of elegant red papal shoes and choose to live only in the Vatican ground guest room instead of the **** papal apartment. He gradually changed the traditon-bound hierarchical religious organization into one that focuses more directly on Jesus' mission.

• 4 weeks later...

The world’s system of leadership is very different from leadership in God’s Kingdom. Worldly leaders are often selfish and arrogant as they claw their way to the top. (Some kings in the ancient world gave themselves the title “Benefactor,” friend of the people). But among Christians, the leader is to be the one who serves best.

There are different styles of leadership—some lead through public speaking, some through administering, some through relationships but every Christian leader needs a servant’s heart. Ask the people you lead how you can serve them better.

Pop Francis has shown humility,prays for the followers. Attend to there spiritual needs.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus almost always reverses things to understand how we should serve like He did. To be as humble as possible, helping someone and expecting nothing. Great lessons for me. Learning what Pope Francis did amazed me. I would not have believed it but it is true. It is a great example for all of us, and I and we all need more humility before our creator and savior. He gave it all to save us and heal us. And He wants all of us deeply committed to His teaching, to let Him save others through us.

unbelievable, but then God and Jesus are so amazing in how they/he teaches us. It seems I have a long way to go, and need to meditate on this seriously. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Q3. (Luke 22:25-27) In the world, Great Men have others serve them and exalt them with great titles. How is the Kingdom of God to be different than that? How has Roman Catholic Pope Francis I set an example of humility before his flock? We are to be humble before God and be servant to others. The Pope has chosen to live a simple life. 

• 2 years later...

God's standard is that one must be humble in demeanor and also be teachable.  This is part and parcel of the true Kingdom of God.   In the world, man's standard of greatness is to dominate others.   Lucifer and Adam exalted themselves and great tragedies occurred (Isaiah 14:12-14; Ezekiel 28:11-17; Genesis3).   This strife and pride amongst the Apostles were just terrible; no concern about Christ's sufferings that were about to take place.

In the church world, there is terrible division and strife in regards to power and authority.  Just recently the head of the Russian Orthodox Church excommunicated the head leader of ecumenical patriarchy of Constantinopel in regards to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church situation.  At least Pope Francis has attempted to bring some sort of reconciliation amongst different groups throughout the world.   Divisions in the RCC are rampant.  Pope Francis had made great strides of reconciliation with those of conservative Evangelical backgrounds.   He is approachable and doesn't dominate over those from different churches.

• 9 months later...

Q3. (Luke 22:25-27) In the world, Great Men have others serve them and exalt them with great titles.

How is the Kingdom of God to be different than that?

The greater ones are to be as the ones who serve.  Titles are not to be things of importance.  The way the person is, is what is important.  it's the character that makes the man, not the title.

From the excerpt of the notes above, Pope Francis 1, has shown himself to be a humble man.  He has expected to be treated as a normal man not one of uppity class. Has humbly knelt before a crowd and asked for prayer.  Showing that he too needs prayer to fulfill his daily tasks.