JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Blessing of Jesus' Departure

• 4 weeks later...

(John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers? 

"... But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you." (John 16:7) The benefits are:

1. Jesus' going to the cross and being raised from the dead is God's plan for their redemption, and that of the whole world, though this is unspoken here.
2. The Holy Spirit will be poured out on them after Jesus' crucifixion, resurrection and ascension.

The promise in John 14:12 is this - The Holy Spirit will not only guide, encourage, teach, and remind them, as Jesus had done, but He will also empower them. "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father." (John 14:12) This is also echoed in Acts "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria and to the ends of the earth." (Acts 1:8)

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away?

On earth, Jesus' Presence with them was limited by time and space. The benefit was in His ascending to Heaven, He sent the Holy Spirit to them, Who is everywhere at once, and  He would indwell each one at Pentecost. They then had the fullness of the Godhead dwelling in them. He is now able to work through every believer, anywhere in the world.

What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers?

He promises that when we steadfastly believe in Him, we will be able to do the things that He did, and even greater things, because He went to the Father. Such a promise! We have access to such power that it's unbelievable......and that's the key...belief.

What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away?

We received the Holy Spirit,.just as the 12did. This means that although we can't speak to Jesus as a person we can see, we have God within us. A far bigger benefit. Jesus is not telling us here and there what to do, His Spirit is guiding us from within!!!!

We also now have the Power of God within us!!!!

What promise do we have in John 14:12

concerning the Spirit's power in believers?

We receive the Power of God within us.

The same Power that was with Jesus!!!!

That is why He said we can do greater things, we only need faith

(John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers?          

• It was beneficial that Jesus goes away so that the Counselor would come.
    1. Jesus' going to the cross and being raised from the dead is God's plan for their redemption, and that of the whole world, though this is unspoken here.
    2. The Holy Spirit will be poured out on them after Jesus' crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension.
  • We are promised that those who believe in Jesus will be able to perform greater miracles that he did because he was going to be with them.  We would be empowered to spread the Good News!!

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers?

When Jesus goes away, He tells the disciples that the Counselor, the Holy Spirit will come and live within them.  They will not be left alone but will forever have the Spirit within them.  Wherever they go, what ever happens He will be with them and so it is better for them that Jesus goes in His physical body and comes through the Holy Spirit to live within them each.

The promise to us in John 14:12 is that we will do works also and greater because the works will be in all of the believers and not limited to the disciples.  These works are now throughout the world through the  power of the Holy Spirit, God's personal emissary to each of us.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers?

It was God's perfect plan for the world and mankind that Jesus ascended to heaven to be with his father. Unless Jesus went away he would not be able to send the Holy Spirit to be in and with his believers (John 16:7). As the notes explain "The Holy Spirit will not only guide, encourage, teach, and remind them, as Jesus had done, but he will also empower them." John 14:12 says that his believers will do even greater things (probably collectively) than what Jesus has achieved while he was (in a physical way) in the world .

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) 

What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers?

Jesus would not leave His disciples without help and comfort. The Holy Spirit would empower them, give them courage, teach them, and explain to them the Heavenly Father’s plan of redemption. He would not come until the Lord Jesus went back to heaven and was glorified. Of course, the Holy Spirit had been in the world before this, but He was coming in a new way - to convict the world and to minister to the redeemed. At the time the disciples never understood all this and their main concern was only about their own future. With the coming of the Holy Spirit we see the releasing of the powers of the promised kingdom of God in this world. The frightened disciples needed power for witnessing, and a boldness for preaching the gospel. Like them, we too, will receive this power when the Holy Spirit comes upon us. 

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away?

One of the many benefits a disciple will receive is that of “power” from the Holy Spirit, power for them and for us, we cannot do God’s work without Him.

Q5. What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers?

In order for the disciples to do greater, more works than the Messiah, they would need power to overcome the persecution Christ said they would face, for when they go forth to witness in “ALL” of Judea and Samaria, they would need “power” that can only come from the Holy Spirit; and in order for the greater works of God to go forth to the “Ends of the Earth”, we will need the “power” of the Holy Spirit, power that unites the body of Christ, thereby, glorifying the Father in the fruits of love and righteousness, for, to some He gave apostles; and some, prophets, and some, evangelists, pastors, and teachers, and to some, power to overcome the persecutions that may come, a living testimony to the salvation of the Messiah.

1. There would be no gospel unless Jesus did what he came to do. If he had not died he could not remove our sins. If he did not go back to the Father the Holy Spirit would not come. 

Jesus presence  while on earth was limited to one place at a time his leaving meant he could be present to the whole world through the Holy Spirit.

2. the disciples working in the power of the Holy Spirit the Gospel of God's Kingdom into the whole world.

The benefit to the disciples of Jesus going away is that they, and we, will be redeemed from our sins through his self-sacrifice.  It will also provide us with the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus also promised in John 14:12 that because he is going to the Father the disciples will be given the power to do the works that he did and also even greater ones.  All this will be done through the gift of the Holy Spirit, not through their own strength.

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers?

The benefit the disciples will have after Jesus goes away is the receiving of the Holy Spirit, the Counselor. He will remind them of what Jesus has said, done and taught them. The Holy Spirit will bring these things to mind. He will guide them, encourage them, teach them and empower them in time of need.

For we Christians Jesus promise to us is that anyone who has faith in him, will do the same things jesus had done, even greater things will they do because Jesus had gone to Heaven.  

Lesson 27 Question 2

To testify means to confirm or attest to , on the basis of a personal knowledge to the truth of something.

Jesus says in John 15: 26 that the Holy Spirit will testify about Him , that is, will impart knowledge about Jesus based on his personal experience - knowledge. The word testify implies that the Holy Spirit has intimate personal knowledge about the Son. But also, the Holy Spirit reminded the apostles of their own relationship with the Son when Jesus walked and talked with them. The Holy Spirit in this capacity is - the go-between God

We too can testify of our personal relationship with Jesus. The Holy Spirit helps us as well has it helped the original eyewitnesses -the Apostles.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers?

The disciples will be saved by His death, resurrection and ascension to heaven. The Holy Spirit will be sent to them too.

Through the Holy Spirit that would come after Jesus went to heaven, His disciple would do the things he did and even more.

• 2 weeks later...

Although the disciples had asked Jesus about his death (13:36; 14:5), they had never wondered about its meaning. They were mostly concerned about themselves. If Jesus went away, what would become of them?

Unless Jesus did what he came to do, there would be no Good News. If he did not die, he could not remove our sins; he could not rise again and defeat death. If he did not go back to the Father, the Holy Spirit would not come. Christ’s presence on earth was limited to one place at a time. His leaving meant he could be present to the whole world through the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is not saying that his disciples would do greater works—after all, raising the dead is about as amazing as you can get. Rather, the disciples, working in the power of the Holy Spirit, would carry the Good News of God’s Kingdom into the whole world.

Jesus promised that after He returned to the Father, He would send the Holy Spirit to indwell us. And so the greater works that the disciples would do were the direct result of the Spirit’s working in and through them.

But, does this mean that we should be doing the same and even greater miracles than Jesus did? Today see God’s work, great works and miracles today which are a common experience.

The time had arrived for Jesus to face the last steps in the Father’s plan of salvation, which meant He was soon to be offered as the final Lamb of sacrifice that would atone for the sin of all humanity.  He was going to die in a way that would drain His physical body of its blood and would then be raised to conquer death and return to His glory in heaven.  This would be of supreme benefit to the disciples because eternal life and salvation would be secured for them, as well as the world.

The second primary benefit of Jesus’ departure from earth was to be that on His arrival in heaven, He would send the Spirit of God to come and dwell with all who believe.  If Jesus never left, the Spirit would never come!  In John 14:12, Jesus said that the Spirit will endow us with spiritual power that will enable us to do the same works that Jesus did, but on a greater multiplied level as the Body of Christ is spread around the world.

The Triune God is a three in one God, all knowing, all seeing now, past future, in control of everything. So if Jesus says it is for their/our good, it must be true. So the Holy Spirit comes to them and stays with them to endow them with eternity powers, as long as they/we remain in Jesus. Oh dear God this is not easy, yet it is necessary to grow into this kind of believer. So I say Holy Spirit, please teach me, give me the wisdom to understand and digest your truths, that I might live. Heal my foolish mind and heart, and then my body, so I can further glorify you here on earth while I am here.

Show me how to be strong and courageous, and walk in your ways no matter what. I ask it in Jesus name, amen.

"I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father." (14:12)

This is the reward for solid faith, able to take what every comes our way, remain in peace so as to help others and not think of ourselves. That is our promise and our hope.

• 3 months later...

The death, resurrection and ascension of Christ Jesus' was not merely God’s plan for the redemption and salvation of the apostles, it was the culmination of His plan of salvation for all of mankind. God placed all of the wrath and indignation that our sin demanded of us, on His only son.  He willingly went to the cross in our place and suffered a horrific death in order to carry out that plan. He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain. Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.  Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by God, stricken by him, and afflicted.  But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.” (Isaiah 53:3-5). 

Jesus told His apostles that after left this earth to be with His Father, the Holy Spirit would be poured out on them and from that day forward it would be the Spirit who would be there to lead them and provide them guidance and comfort.  I guess we all know that event did come to pass on the day of Pentecost and the rest of Jesus’ story is documented in the gospels that those men left behind.  Today, the Holy Spirit isn’t simply sitting idly by waiting to be discovered, just as Jesus promised, he is in residence in all of us.  He’s simply biding his time waiting for us to call on him to do God’s work.  When we finally make the call, he's promised to lead our hearts closer to God and will reveal a deeper meaning for our lives by restoring the peace, hope and optimism to our lives that “surpasses all understanding”.

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

The benefit they received was the Holy Spirit and the baptism of Him. We will be able to do greater things than what Jesus did due to the Holy Spirit.

• 1 year later...

·         What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? The Holy Spirit will be poured on them with His empowerment. Furthermore it assures them of their redemption.

What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers? We are promised that if we continue to believe in Jesus, working in the power of the Spirit, we will do the same works Jesus did and even more.

• 1 year later...

Jesus had to go away in order that the people would get saved; the heavenly anointing would be given to the disciples so that they would preach the Gospel.

John 14:12 is referring to the Christain's power of attorney.   The Christain believer is called to the ministry (1 Peter 2:9) and is called by God to ask in faith, not wavering in prayer.  Christ had the fulness of Spirit without measure.   We are called to partake of that fulness.  Christ Jesus is the sole Mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5).   Through His mediation and In tercession, we can now receive all blessings of grace. 

• 8 months later...

What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers?

The benefit would be:

God's plan for their redemption, and that of the whole world would be set in motion.

The Holy Spirit will be poured out on them after Jesus' crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension.

In John 14:12 we see that the Holy Spirit will not only guide, encourage, teach, and remind them, as Jesus had done, but He will also empower them.

"I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in Me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."