JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Holiness

B) Holiness is chossing to do good instead of evil. It's studying, learning, and meditating more about God so that we can live a life that lines up with Gods word (the Bible.)

I am now considered to be holy because I accepted God as my one and only King and Saviour and His spirit now lives, dwells and abides in me. And He's asking me to come up higher in my relationship with Him and I'm doing that by spending time in prayer, and bible study and books and whatever I can get my hands on that will teach me more about the God I serve and my purpose and existence while I am here on earth.

My biggest struggle with holiness is that I'm only human. Sometimes I follow my "flesh" instead of my spirit. I slip up and make mistakes. Not necessarily drastic ones but in having a negative attitude towards something or someone, not feeling like doing what God asks me to do. It's not always easy to have the same positive attitude that Jesus had when going through difficult circumstances.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holiness is being free from sin-- living a life free from sin. I became holy when I accepted Christ in my life .I started walking different, talking different and dressing different. My biggest stuggle with holiness is following Jesus somtimes i slip and fall, sometimes i get weary in well doing but i get up and go again cause i know that in due season i shall reap if i faint not

• 8 months later...

Q2. (1:15-16) In your own words, how would you define "holiness"? In what sense are you (by definition) holy now? In what sense must you be obedient in order to become holy? What is your biggest struggle with holiness?

Holiness is at its ultimate is that character of God which makes His morality perfect. It is the chacteristic of the kingdom of God, its focus is on the sacred and spiritual, not on secular, worldly, material values. I am holy because I have been born again in Jesus. I am a new creation in Him. I have turned away from the life of sin, the rejection of God, and the kingdom of the world and entered the kingdom of God. To remain in the kingdom I must be fully obedient to the teachings of Jesus and His apostles. It defines what I must do in every aspect of my life with His Spirit within me as me guide, teacher and inspiration. My biggest struggle with holiness is being destracted and tempted by material things and material comforts. It is so easy for ones attention to be drawn away from our Lord to the satisfaction of worldly pleasures and possessions.

Q2. (1:15-16) In your own words, how would you define "holiness"? In what sense are you (by definition) holy now? In what sense must you be obedient in order to become holy? What is your biggest struggle with holiness?

Be ye Holy as I am holy. God's command to me. I pray that t he Holy Spirit continually works within me when I am unholy. Without the Holy Spirit to convict me every time I disobey I would f ail my Lord many times, I am holy n ow because of what christ has done for mme and I become righteous of because of Him. I struggle with my thought patterns and this is a daily prayer. But I think that now that I am a new creature in Christ I ca say "halleluah" I can walk in freedom knowing where yo turn to.

• 1 month later...

Holiness is the Lord and we should follow in his footsteps to also be holy. I pray each day for the Lord to make me holy and to follow him. Since I became a Christian I read his word daily and try to be holy as he was holy. I hope that if satan should trick me the holy spirit will guide me as the holy spirit guided Jesus when satan tried to trick him. Being holy is very important to me and to those Christians who I Bible Study with.

• 3 months later...
:) Holiness is being set apart for the things of God in every area of my life, conforming to His will and not my own or the world's view point. I am holy in the sense that my sins have been forgiven me by the precious sacrifice of God's Holy Son whom I have received. I am also holy in the sense that I am not conforming to this world, but taking God's word and renewing my mind to the ways of God. I understand that I must be obedient in all things that pertain to God in order to truly beome holy. My biggest struggle with holiness is the love walk; which in essence is who God is.

• 6 months later...

Holiness is living life as closely as we can to that which God asks - being obedient. I am holy now because I was made holy by Jesus' atonement. My biggest struggle with holiness is the feeling that it is unreachable - God is holy, how can I, with my weaknesses and failures, ever be?

• 3 weeks later...

Holiness is being obedient to God. It is separating myself from the world's priorities and making God and His priorities the most important things in my life. It is making myself available to God to display His chacteristics in my life.

I am holy because of Jesus' personal sacrifice for my sin on the cross. Again, obedience to God leads to purity and holiness. My biggest struggle with holiness is in the area of the **** of the flesh. God is working with me on a daily basis with this issue. Praise God for His love, patience, mercy and grace with me.

• 9 months later...

Holiness is being set apart to serve God. I do not feel holy in any sense. It is only by the redemption of the blood of Jesus that God sees me as a finished product and therefore, holy. To become holy, I neeed to continually pray, ask God's forgiveness, and let the spirit of God work within me. My biggest struggle with holiness is thinking that if I work harder to live better for Christ, I will do better. I struggle daily with keeping my sights continually on God and not being the witness that I should. I can do nothing on my own. I need to pray more to ask God to guide me.

• 2 months later...

Being holy means living so others will say, "She serves a wonderful God," and that God will look down from Heaven and say, " That's my Girl!" or " That's my boy!" We bear the name of God every where we go, and that ought to make a difference in the way we live.

God when I wake up, on the way to work, in the office, at the grocery store, on the way home, at the dinner table, while watching T.V. while reading the mail and paper, while surfing the Internet, while on the phone, at bedtime, while I sleep, In every word, every thoughts, in my doubts, in my failures, God always and forever, Always God, Always with me now and forever.

This is true Holiness. This is true joy. THIS IS THE PURPOSE FOR WHICH I WAS CREATED. Without God, I have no meaning, no purpose, and no reason for being here. " We've conquered outer space but not inner space. " Inner space" is were we must begin. A message like this calls for searching ,self-examination as I said in the other question.

Ask God to reveal Himself to you. Ask God to fill you with the fullness of who He is. Ask the LOrd to make you Holy in every part of your life. If we want to be Holy, We must conquer our "inner space". To do this your life will change, and the world around you will change. AMEN

• 2 weeks later...

Holiness is set apart from the world, doing all you do in and for Christ, and observing morally pure standards. On my own, I'm not holy. God has helped me improve over the years. My desire is to be open to his guidance so I can continue to grow in this area. I believe obedience is a key component of holiness. If God sets the standard and we choose to disobey it, that separates us from him, defying the definition of holiness. The opposite is also true. My biggest struggle with holiness is to remember to do all things for him. Sometimes I just do my work for me or for the results I need. I need my daily time with him to keep me on track with living life for his purpose, not my own.

'Holiness' is a state of being consecrated to God. It is living in obedience and conforming to His commands. I am not holy now. I am trying to achieve a degree of holiness. This is through spending time with Him, to learn and obey His statutes as well as spending time with fellow Christians.

In every way we must follow His commands as set out in His Word, the Bible.

It is very difficult not to follow the ways of the world in which we live but fully adhere to what He wants of us. This means hearing His still quiet voice through the Holy Spirit and then acting on it.

• 1 month later...

Holiness is living with a pure heart open to God's instructions and His will. I have a struggle with being truely holy. There are somethings I just will not do. I still find myself repenting for things. One of my biggest struggles is anger. In order to be obedient I must surrender my will to God. When I think that I have I really haven't.

• 1 month later...

Holiness is being pure from sin and being righteous Like God.

We are holy because of Christ's death on the cross that freed us from sin. He made us holy in God's eyes. He took away our sin and defeated death.

Our biggest struggle is trying to live for God and not our selfs. The devil is always trying to turn us from God.

"Holiness" is being set apart to serve God. By definition I have committed my life to serve God. To become holy you must walk in righteousness according to precepts given in the Word of God. My biggest struggle with holiness is the complete submission. Not that I'm walking in sin but, there are times when I can apply my self more to prayer and study of the Word.

Holiness is having a relationship with God that the world can see before you say anything. It is being so in tune with God that you can sense His Presence always and hear the smallest whisper.

I am holy now in that I am called to a relationship with God and the time I spend with Him causes me to separate from the world and become more like Him.

My biggest struggle with holiness is that the world is there. I can touch it, see it, hear it, feel it and it is easier to conform to something that solid than it is to an invisible God

• 1 month later...

HOLINESS! IT BRINGS ME PURE JOY KNOWING THAT I NO LONGER BELONG TO THIS WORLD BUT OF THE ONE JESUS IS PREPARING EVEN AS I WRITE THIS. KNOWING THAT THROUGH HIS WORD I CAN BE LIKE HIM AND NOT LIKE THE FATHER OF LIES THIS WORLD HAS. CHRIST PRAYED FOR HIS DISCIPLES AND I FEEL MY HOLINESS IS THE STRONGEST WHEN I GO TO HIS WORD AND PRAY EACH DAY. MOST PEOPLE SPEND MAYBE FIFTEEN MINUTES IN GOD'S WORD AND PRAY. I SPEND SOMETIMES OVER TWO HOURS. I READ MY DEVOTIONALS, MY CHURCH HAS US READING THE NEW TESTAMENT BEFORE DECEMBER 31st AND BECAUSE WE STARTED THAT MY THRUST BECAME SO MUCH I BEGAN TO READ THE OLD TESTAMENT, SO AFTER ALL THAT, I PRAY FOR EVERYONE I CAN THINK OF IN MY TIME OF PRAYER. MY LOVE FOR HIM GROWS. MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY. I THINK THAT AS WE READ GOD'S WORD HE TELLS US WHAT HE EXPECTS US TO DO FOR HIM AND THAT LEADS TO OUR OBEDIENCE TO HIM. I KNOW THAT SATAN WANTS TO CONFUSE US IN EVERY WAY. HE PLAYS WITH OUR MINDS BUT CANNOT TOUCH OUR HEARTS IF WE FOLLOW JESUS. I STRUGGLE WITH THOSE MIND GAMES SATAN PLAYS ON ME. BUT GOD IS GOOD AND FAITHFUL AND HE RESCUES ME EACH AND EVERY TIME.

Someone who sets themselves apart for the Lords service and strives to be like Jesus in all of their ways. It does not matter if the the person is a housewife and mother or an ordained minister. If that person loves the Lord and lives according to God's Word, that to me is holiness.

I choose to live my life in a way that is pleasing to the Lord and to be His instrument to use however He wants. Even though I fail sometimes I know that He loves me and it gives Him joy when I come to Him with a repentant heart and a humble spirit. Feeling holy is difficult because of our human nature and all of our imperfections. I have cried at times because of feeling unworthy of such a holy God loving me the way that He does. God's Word tells us to be holy as He is holy so every day I die to myself and live for Jesus and because Jesus lives in me and me in Him and He is holy, therefore I am also, but never the less that is still hard for me to say because I think of no one but Him being holy even though God tells us to live holy lives. I am sure I am making this more difficult than it actually is. If someone understands my feelings about this, please respond. I would welcome any feedback. God bless!

You must be faithful to God's Word and live in a way that is pleasing to Him.

My biggest struggle is, how can I be holy when my imperfections are equal God's perfection? The only comparison is that they are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. In other words, until this earthly body dies and my new one is resurrected, how can I be holy? In the end, I know that as long as I am living a life that is pleasing to the Lord and my life totally belongs to Him, He will take care of the holiness of my life lived through Him. Praise the Lord!!

• 2 months later...

Holiness is being sanctified and cleansed by the the blood of Jesus Christ. I am holy when I am obedient and listen to the tiny voice and allow God to lead my life in His way and in His timing. I must listen and follow his lead. My biggest struggle with holiness my own struggle with humanity: listening.

• 4 months later...

I would define holiness as being pure in heart and mind. Turning away from everything that would defy God. It is living in God's word, it is speaking his word, it is getting his word in our hearts. It is having a hunger to be like Christ. It is having the Holy Spirit living in me. I am holy now because I have the Holy Spirit leading my life. I study God's word, I pray, I ask him to forgive my sins, even if I have not sinned, and I keep my heart and mind focused on him. I pray for him to keep me in his will.Being obedient is the only way we are going to be holy. It is not about us but about God. Our God is a jealous God. We cannot serve the world and God. We have to be willing to get self outd of the way, let God take control so we will be in his will and do the purpose for our life that he has planned. When we are obedient, God has blessings that we cannot contain. I think the biggest struggle I had was realizing who my Father really was. Getting ahold that he really loved and cares for me. Once I got ahold of that, I kew who I was and the closeness I could have with my Father and Savior.

As Christians we have been made holy in Christ through the ultimate sacrifice that our king Jesus made for us on the cross. His blood washed away all our sins and he made us pure in the site of the Father, we became one with Him.(Amen)

As new born we need nourishment to grow which we get from His word and through prayer. Everyday we must strive to become more like Him in our lives living in accordance with His word.

It makes me feel somewhat arrogant at times when I think of myself being holy because the idea that man can be holy is sometimes difficult to grasp. But thank you Jesus for your grace in making me holy and a part of your body.

• 3 months later...

Being 'sanctified' is holiness. We are sanctified through our belief in Jesus and our obedience. I strive to live an obedient life. I am holy because Christ is in me. Obedience is following God's commands and getting rid of sin that is in one. Through sinlessness we have a link to God and can commune with Him. We strive to be sinless but all men are sinners.

Our biggest struggel is to live like Jesus and do what He would do at all times. We fall short a lot of the time but the Holy Spirit encourages us to try again.

• 1 month later...

Holiness is described as being sanctifed, separated and set aside aside to reflect God's characteristics in our lives. I am holy because the Christ in me is sustaining me from living the former life I use to live. Everyday I am reminded of the blood Christ shed for me and strive to live the life that is pleasing to Him.

My biggest struggle is reminding myself not to let the enemy control my thoughts and think thoughts that God is pleased with. It is a constant struggle when there is so much evil in this world. When that happens I go to the word of God and read and meditate and remember the Holy Spirit living on the inside of me.

• 1 month later...

Holiness for me do not come because I most have it . It comes automatic . The body do not make me holy ,the flesh in me do all contrary to the spirit so I most need something in me to be holy . Is not about to have it is about to be united to the only one is holy and this is Jesus . Went I accept Jesus I became part in spirit with God because Jesus did he pay the price to be acceptable to God again and take part with him and be holy . That is also we are call also saints because we are part of holy God in spirit . But our problem is not the spirit our problem is the flesh because is contrary to the spirit , in the same way the spirit is contrary to the flesh so the holy spirit give us the power to conquer the body attacking the spirit . We most take control of our flesh dominate the body sacrify for good and not evil . Loving God increase holiness in me loving others let it behind what I use to be . Acting in my new reborn in spirit I most act as the spirit feels if I do something contrary to the spirit the spirit will let me know I don't like that and me in my corporal form I will feel bad because I use the body to act against the spirit and even against me it dont taste the same for the body is but because my new reborn with Christ in spirit I m holy also and do not feel the same . I always I said to Christians if you are Christian you will never be one not matter where you go and how many times you refuse Christ you are for real trouble because you are one with God in spirit one with all Christians you can not scape because the spirit in you will call out for holiness .

Holiness is being set apart for God, devoted to God, being like God in character. As a wretched sinner, I am very aware of my UNholiness except for the blood of Christ that has cleansed me from my sin and made me holy in God's sight. My holiness is the holiness of Christ placed on me. Now I want to be obedient in order to live up to the identity God has so kindly given me, that of a forgiven child of God. My biggest struggle with holiness is that my eyes constantly stray to looking to the world rather than to Christ for my identity.