JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

Q1. (John 20:1; Luke 8:1-3) What do we know about Mary Magdalene? Why do you think a woman was given the honor of seeing the risen Christ first?

Mary Magdalene was an important member of Jesus' ministry team (Luke 8:1b-3). Mary was from a prosperous city with an industry, probably in preserving food by drying and salting-possibly fish. (from the notes). The notes also state that the city had about 40,000 inhabitants and a horse stadium- for racing horses. Mary was most likely a widow from and wealthy family, and helped support Jesus and his disciples from her personal fortune (Luke 8:3). Jesus had healed a troubled Mary and cast seven demons out of her (Luke 8:2). She was devoted to Jesus, and  traveled with his party through Galilee and Jerusalem, helping minister to the needy women who came to him (notes).

We do not know for sure why Mary was given the honor of the first one to see the risen Christ. Perhaps it was because she spent so much time at the tomb (Mark 15:40, 16:1-19; Matt 28:1 ; Matt 27:61).

(John 20:1; Luke 8:1-3) What do we know about Mary Magdalene? Why do you think a woman was given the honor of seeing the risen Christ first? 

We can surmise the following about Mary Magdalene:

• Mary is from Magdala.
  • Mary is from a wealthy family.
  • Mary was troubled, and had been healed by Jesus from seven demons which he had cast out of her.
  • Mary is single.
  • Mary is devoted to Jesus.
In my opinion, it was not so much the gender but the devotion of the person - Mary Magdalene was the first to rise and go to the tomb. Mary Magdalene remained at the tomb and wept after the disciples went away when they did not find Jesus' body in the tomb. 

Q1. (John 20:1; Luke 8:1-3) What do we know about Mary Magdalene?

Mary was from the town of Madala, had been notorious for having been demon possessed then set free, by Jesus. She was independently wealthy and supported Jesus in His ministry. She was either never married or a widow, and was wholly devoted to Jesus. She traveled with Him and was at the cross during His crucifixion. She was the first to see and speak with the resurrected Jesus, as she was at the tomb to complete burial preparations.

Why do you think a woman was given the honor of seeing the risen Christ first?

In that culture, women were still considered mainly as "chattel"...a possession to bear children and to serve. They were seen as gossips, and were never called as witnesses, as it was thought that their testimony could not be trusted. As a woman, I'm thrilled as I read and study scripture, that Jesus restored dignity and value to women...not above men, as is right, but equal to men with a special place in God's plan. Women were his friends and disciples and confidants, just as were his male friends and disciples. That he appeared first to a woman, who was given the responsibility to go and tell the others, was huge!

I grew up in a state where the dominant religion / cult was totally patriarchal....women mattered little and though I wasn't one of this group, I was surrounded by them and had to live in the town which was ruled by them. When I was grown and had left there to live elsewhere, I kept expressing to others the enormous freedom I felt, but it wasn't until after I became a Christian and knew how much Jesus valued women, that I understood the reason for the elation and awareness of my newfound freedom. I was an equal in God's eyes.

(John 20:1; Luke 8:1-3) What do we know about Mary Magdalene? Why do you think a woman was given the honor of seeing the risen Christ first?          

• Mary Magdalene was an early follower and supporter of Jesus.  She was the first witness to the risen Christ.  Also, Mary was from a wealthy family and had been healed by Jesus who cast out seven demons out of her.  She was not married and completely devoted to Jesus.
  • I think a woman was given the honor of seeing the risen Christ first because she travelled with Jesus and was there with him at his crucifixion.  Her faith was direct and genuine.  Because of this, Jesus honored her to be the first one to see his resurrection appearance.

Q1. (John 20:1; Luke 8:1-3) What do we know about Mary Magdalene? Why do you think a woman was given the honor of seeing the risen Christ first?

Mary was from Magdala, single, wealthy, troubled, devoted.

The Bible doesn't say why she ws given the honor of seeing the risen Christ first however, she was at the tomb and she was devoted to Him.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

She was delivered of 7 demons and committed her life to going about with Jesus's team. She also supported the team materially being from a rich family. She was the first person to see the risen Lord.

I it was due to her commitment and dedication to to the Lord.

She was delivered of 7 demons and committed her life to going about with Jesus's team. She also supported the team materially being from a rich family. She was the first person to see the risen Lord.

I it was due to her commitment and dedication to to the Lord.

Q1. (John 20:1; Luke 8:1-3) 

What do we know about Mary Magdalene? 

Why do you think a woman was given the honour of seeing the risen Christ first?

We know little about Mary Magdalene. Her name indicates that she was from Magdala in Galilee; perhaps a wealthy widow. She had met Jesus in Galilee where He cast seven demons out of her. She then joined the band of disciples and followed Jesus wherever He went (Luke 8:2). She was with the other women at the cross when all the disciples had fled (Mark 15:40; John 19:25). She observed Jesus' burial (Mark 15:47) and witnessed the events surrounding the resurrection. She was the first among the women to discover the empty tomb, the first to report to the disciples, and the first to see the risen Christ as she lingered by the tomb after all the others had left. The women were devoted to Jesus. They were among a group of dedicated followers who had committed themselves to caring for Jesus and His disciples as they travelled. We see this as they were the last to leave the Cross and the first to arrive at the tomb. They remained faithful to the very end, even after His disciples and apostles had fled. It is, therefore, only fitting that they would be given the honour of seeing the risen Christ first. 

What we know of Mary Magdalene who had been healed of 7 demons by Jesus, is that she must not have been a prostitute because Jesus never tells her to sin no more. She was a loyal follower of Jesus, ministering and probably supporting them (disciples) during their travels proclaiming the good news of the Kingdom of God.

A woman was probably given the honor of being the first to see Jesus risen from the dead because the men (disciples) were afraid of Roman soldiers coming to take them. Where as the women were not afraid, they even stayed at the cross while Jesus was being crucified. Also, they were healed of diseases or demons and had a special relationship to the Lord.

Lesson 32 Question 1

Mary Magdalene was rich, single - questionably a widow-, devoted to Jesus and had been troubled with seven demons.

Speculating, perhaps Mary was given this honor because she belong to a class usually given second-class status. Or perhaps the women were simply the first ones to check on him.

• 3 weeks later...

We know that she was healed from demon possession by Jesus and that she became an ardent follower.  I don’t think Jesus discriminated in that way.  In one way he did comply with the times: all the disciples were men, but not in all ways.  He laid out the same rules for both sexes in cases of divorce.  He took the side of Mary, Lazarus’ sister, when she wanted to sit and listen with the men.  I don’t think it is possible to know why a woman was particularly chosen to see the risen Christ first.  Men and women are both created and loved by God.  They may have different roles to play, but that is all.

Mary Magdalene was a religious figure in Christianity. She traveled with Jesus as one of his followers. She is said to have witnessed Jesus' crucifixion.

Jesus made a great sinner the symbol of hope for all sinners. Who then could ever despair when recalling Jesus' love for Mary Magdalene? Gathered together in the person of Mary Magdalene, we find all the reasons for believing in the goodness of God, who sent His Son to rescue those who are lost. She became and remains the perfect symbol of the sinner who finds Christ and is transformed by His love. 

The fact that she was a woman is important beyond all mores of the times. Jesus had already declared women equal to men before God. His first missionary evangelist to whom he said "I am the Messiah," was the woman at the well.

Jesus' give us all another strong message that women should be leader people, mixed with men in the churches of the future. Some will become ministers, like my Hispanic wife. Mary Magdalene had seven demons removed by Jesus. So I call on Him now to remove them from me so I can totally die to Him and do His will. This is what He did for Mary Magdalene and can do for all of us. And we need to die each day again, the world and its sinful ways are upon us. We are lost and hopeless without the Holy Spirit remaining in us to show us the true way.

• 1 month later...

Mary Magdalene was a woman of wealth from the prosperous city of Magdala. She was evidently single, likely widowed. When she encountered Jesus, she was possessed and directed by 7 demons, but was set free when Jesus commanded them to leave her. Mary became a grateful, devoted follower of Jesus and traveled with Him and the disciples, providing funding and support. I love the thought that she offered important ministry to hurting women who came to Jesus for healing of the heart and spirit as well as the body.

First, I think these women were given the privilege of being first to see the risen Christ because they were still about the business of ministering. The disciples were hidden away behind locked doors and were paralyzed with fear as they focused on their pain, confusion, and questions. Their faith was bruised and weak. But these women rose above their profound grief and possible fears to honor Jesus by courageously stepping out to finish the task of preparing the body. Women are natural nurturers and caregivers, so this was important to them. Because of their faith, they were more open to "see" and believe the miracle.

And then also, I think that Christ was making a declaration of the equal worth of women in His kingdom. The first people to receive confirmation of the resurrection and commission to go and tell others about it were...women!

• 3 weeks later...

I would think that a woman was given the honor of seeing Jesus first because of the ministry of reconciliation.  When Eve took of the fruit she "saw" that it was good; (for lack of better words) she thought she was doing right.  She gave what she found to Adam and he did eat with her.  Now, Jesus is giving her another chance to truly "make it right" (remember the men also came to the tomb and when they saw it empty, they left.  If He had wanted to give the message to the men, He could have.)  She now has something that is truly "good" to take back and feed man.  Only this time, man is far more cautious about what he will "eat" from the hand of the woman and believes not (Mark 16:11).  But, when Jesus returns again and sups with them, it is as He is breaking bread that their eyes are open and He vanishes from sight (Luke 24:30-31).  Our eyes were opened in the Garden and we saw death, now our eyes are opened again to Life.

• 1 month later...

Mary was from Magdala (known by the Greek name Taricheae prior to the time of Jesus, the Gospels use of the Aramaic name Magdala rather than the more common Greek name.  She was probably in a position of comparative wealth, probably single (perhaps a widow or divorced) and had 7 demons driven from her by Christ Jesus at some point in her life.  Her chief motive for following Jesus was probably out of gratitude for their deliverance from "evil spirits and infirmities."  She most likely accompanied Christ and the disciples on their journey to Jerusalem and was most likely present during His abuse at the hands of the Romans and definitely present at His crucifixion up to and including His last hours of agony on the cross (John 19:25).  She was with the disciple John and the women who remained by the cross till all was all over, and waited till the body was taken down and placed in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea.  She went with Salome and Mary (Jesus’ mother) to anoint the body and was with them when they discovered the empty tomb and it was to her that Jesus appeared first after the resurrection.  As to why He would appear to a woman first is anyone’s guess but Mary had been a loyal follower who supported Him spiritually and financially without question.

• 1 month later...

What do we know about Mary Magdalene?

A lady of means, whom Jesus delivered from demonic bondage.

There is a lesson here that few are getting.  We live in a male dominated society. Partly due to men having testosterone powered strong physiques and goals.  Women have been subjected to a second class cictezenship throughout history and in most cultures.

Jesus came to set us all free ... BUT in particular the women.  naturally he was born of a woman, a devoted and humble servant of God.  He chose women for special tasks.  His travelling band included several women. Women were the first to see the risen Christ ... what joy.  Women are featured  several times in churches and epistles.  They have unique God-given talents and personalities. Jesus elevated their position and gave them equal place as people God has created and redeemed. 

I praise him for my wife my helper,  soul mate and close friend.  : ) 

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Q1. (John 20:1; Luke 8:1-3) What do we know about Mary Magdalene? Why do you think a woman was given the honor of seeing the risen Christ first? She was from the region of Magdala and was troubled with 7 demons and healed of them by Jesus. She was a devout follower of His.  She may have been from a wealthy family as well. I believe that Jesus loved her enough to choose her and give her that privilege. 

• 5 months later...

Mary Magdalene was a woman whom Jesus cured by casting out her demons. She was a follower and devoted believer in Jesus as being the son of God. I think that women were more devoted to Jesus during this age than men.  Women have a nurturing spirit and do not carry the burden of being responsible or in charge as men are.  I am not saying this right but we all know that a woman's love and protectiveness is different than men.  Women were not recognized as being leaders and in charge during this time.  I believe Jesus choose women because of their mothering nature.  The women who were healed by Jesus and came in contact with him , were faithful followers and did not doubt who He said he was and who they believed Him to be.  They did what he asked of them without questions or doubt, unlike the men especially the disciples.  Mary Magdalene was a true believer and a sincere follower of Jesus.  He trusted her to tell the disciples exactly what he instructed her to tell them.  She was faithful and loyal to Him. This is the kind of faith Jesus wants in His disciples.

• 9 months later...

1.    What do we know about Mary Magdalene? Mary is from a wealthy family, and so was able to help support Jesus and his disciples from her personal fortune. She had been troubled, and had been healed by Jesus from seven demons which he had cast out of her. She is single and devoted to Jesus. She traveled with his party throughout Galilee, and was with him in Jerusalem at his crucifixion and resurrection.

2.    Why do you think a woman was given the honor of seeing the risen Christ first? I think that since the woman Mary was given the glory of being first to witness the birth of Jesus- the WORD becoming flesh-it is a befitting honor that a woman should be the first to see Christ victoriously emerge from the womb of death. Besides that, in Christ’s Kingdom we are all equal.

• 1 year later...

Mary Magdalene was one of the group of ladies mentioned in Luke 8:1-3 that were possessed of demons. She and her peers accompanied Jesus on His missions; they were touched by the hand of God, and so ever gratefull for their own new lives.

He who has sinned much---loves much.   She was called to be a model of discipleship for those Apostles that deserted Christ.   She was very courageous for heading to the Tomb before day break.  Joseph of Arithamea and Nicodemus showed great courage as well.  Despite all odds, they stood their ground despite great opposition.   Mary Magdalene was not a theologian; like the Samaritan woman, she had that divine illumination to belive that Christ is the Messiah.  Mary heard her name called; she just knew it was her beloved that was there.

• 8 months later...

What do we know about Mary Magdalene?   Mary was of the town of Magdala in Galilee.  Jesus had driven seven demons out of her and set her free.  She became a devoted follower of our Lord. She was among the women who had followed Him, from Galilee to Jerusalem. She and some others were contributing to the support of Him and His apostles from their private means.  From this we gather that she was quite well-to-do.  It is surmised that she was single or  widowed.  We are informed in the Gospel narratives that she was among the women who had followed Him, from Galilee to Jerusalem. Mary was at the cross and also saw where He was laid in a tomb.  Early on the Sunday morning Mary and of the other women had gone to the tomb with the intention of anointing the body, when they found the grave empty.  An angel told them that Jesus had risen from the dead. They fled and told the disciples.  From Matthews account Jesus seems to have appeared to them on the way back to the disciples. John's account further shares that Mary came back to the tomb and was weeping, when she saw two angels in the tomb, upon turning around she saw, who she took to be the gardener and it was actually Jesus.   

Christ is not a respecter of persons, so I guess, He knew the end from the beginning and knew what the right thing was to do.  For then and also later, that was the best option and that was why He chose to first appear to Mary Magdalene.  I honor Him for that and accept His choice to have been the correct and best choice.