JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Breakfast

• 2 months later...

Q2. (John 21:7-14) What does Jesus preparing breakfast for the disciples say about his love for them?

This example warms my heart also, with His love....He is always serving...He lived to serve, to seek and to save. Now He is their High Priest (and ours) yet in humility doing the mundane act of gathering sticks and lighting a fire, then cooking and serving the exhausted, sleepy men He'd lived with and served for 3 years. Nothing is too big for Him to handle, nor too small. It takes my breath away at times when He cares about the silliest little things that we care about...and makes me wonder why I ever worry about anything!

His provision?

His is a never ending supply of whatever we need. I was wondering when they recognized Him after the catch, if they were remembering when He blessed the 5 loaves and 2 fish, then gave it to them to distribute, multiplying in their hands as they went to feed the thousands.

The other thing I've learned about His provision, is that He knows my need before I do, and has already set in motion the means to get it to me on time as needed...just as He'd prepared the school of fish for them to catch and brought fish with Him which He was already cooking when they got to shore.

In this same way, several years ago our daughter wanted me to go to with her to Carmel for her birthday. I had no means to make her day special, and no money for a gift, but I prayed with her on the drive there that Jesus would knock her socks off with blessing that day in ways that only He knew would demonstrate His love and care for her. We planned to walk on the white sand beach at Ocean Ave. which is always beautiful. As we approached, we saw people excitedly pointing toward the water. We rushed down and found that the incoming tide had created a bench like ridge along the beach, which was perfect for sitting. Now we saw there was a miracle happening! A pod of dolphins was close to shore leaping and jumping, playing and interacting with the seals and otters there. They jumped over one another and delighted us, giddy with excitement and joy. In all our years we've never heard of dolphins coming into that area. We took dozens of pictures! When it was time for us to go, we stood and turned to walk away. Glancing back for one last look, we saw that they had decided to leave as well, and were swimming away!..That was just one of the delights He'd prepared for her that day! She said it was one of the best gifts she's ever received! He truly is Lord of all!!!

What does Peter’s early morning swim say about his love for Jesus?

I love Peter..... his swim is just like his attempt to "save" Jesus from the soldiers by swinging his sword at Malchus and cutting off his ear, and telling Jesus, "No, it must never be!" when Jesus spoke about dying. Peter's love brought him to wait by the fire all night during Jesus' trial, and first into the empty tomb that Sunday morning. He adored Jesus! I can't wait to meet Peter in Heaven!

Q2. (John 21:7-14) What does Jesus preparing breakfast for the disciples say about his love for them? 

He loved so much thus His preparing breakfast for them. (He still loves,- even me). He might have also wanted to demonstrate to the His principle, coming to serve and not be served and thus leave them with such a reminder of such a legacy to copy.

His provision?

He once again reminded them that He was/ and is the Provider (and my Provider indeed).

What does Peter's early morning swim say about his love for Jesus?

He loved Jesus so much that he could not wait for the heavy laden slow moving boat to reach the shore.

(John 21:7-14) What does Jesus preparing breakfast for the disciples say about his love for them? His provision? What does Peter’s early morning swim say about his love for Jesus?          

• Jesus preparing breakfast for the disciples shows his love and companion for them as well as wanting to spend time with them.
  • His provision shows that Jesus is a provider and will provide for you.
  • Peter's early morning swim shows his deep love for Jesus and his eagerness to come to Jesus.

Q2. (John 21:7-14) What does Jesus preparing breakfast for the disciples say about his love for them? His provision? What does Peter’s early morning swim say about his love for Jesus?

It is more of the same. Jesus third appearance (v14) is further evidence of his bodily resurrection. Just as Jesus provided for his disciples, prior to the crucifixion and resurrection, he is providing now. He cared for his disciples and loved them (John 13:34). Peter has been close to Jesus-he was one of the inner circle of Jesus disciples, along with James and John (Mark 5:37). Peter must have felt overwhelming relief by Jesus forgiveness, after he had so veheminently denied him, not once but three times. At the time he must have thought that he had "blown it" (Luke 22:61, 62).

Q2. (John 21:7-14) 

What does Jesus preparing breakfast for the disciples say about His love for them? 

His provision? 

The disciples must have been tired and hungry after fishing the whole night. Jesus invites them for breakfast showing His love and concern for them. They see the risen Lord still prepared to serve them as long as they remain faithful to Him – He will supply their needs. Previously He had told them in John 14:13-14, “And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” By serving them breakfast He was letting them know that He will be there for them. As He shares His food with them, their covenant with Him is renewed, and we see their unity restored. All this must have reminded them of a similar occasion when He fed the five thousand with a few loaves and fishes. Peter could not wait to get ashore, he wanted to be close to the Lord. He had disappointed the Lord so many times in the past and he has this feeling of guilt which he wants to be corrected with Jesus. Peter must have remembered when Jesus had told them that without Him they can do nothing (John 15:5). For one thing Peter could do as a fisherman, was fish. Jesus was teaching them their dependence on Him for everything – even fishing. Also that fishing was not their future but fishing for men. 

Q2. (John 21:7-14) What does Jesus preparing breakfast for the disciples say about his love for them? His provision? What does Peter's early morning swim say about his love for Jesus?

He wants to feed them, to dine with them, to be with them, to fellowship with them.  He uses ordinary things in ordinary places.  He cares for their bodily needs, their warmth, their comfort.  What a King, Lord, Savior we worship.

Peter wanted to be with Jesus as quickly as possible.  It was like seeing a long lost friend or son.  You are overwhelmed with love and gratitude, thanksgiving, wonder all at once.  Except this was the Lord, Messiah, King and Lord who welcomes us.  Amazing!

God bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q2. (John 21:7-14) What does Jesus preparing breakfast for the disciples say about his love for them? His provision? What does Peter’s early morning swim say about his love for Jesus?

Jesus prepared breakfast for his disciples on the beach because he wanted to show them that he cared for them and wanted to have fellowship with them. This fellowship showed that Jesus cared for them, loved them and wanted to care for their needs.

His provision of cooked fish for breakfast, this should have reminded them of the Lord feeding the five thousand with only a few fishes and loafs of bread.

Once Peter recognized that it was Jesus on the shore calling to them, he immediately jumped in the water to swim to shore. he was more than eager to talk to his master. By swimming back he would beat the others back to shore, this gave Peter a little more time with Jesus alone.   

(John 21:7-14) What does Jesus preparing breakfast for the disciples say about his love for them? His provision? What does Peter’s early morning swim say about his love for Jesus? 

Jesus' appearance to His disciples showed His love for them. More importantly I think it is also to console them and set aside time with them to reassure them that He will never leave us or forsake us.

When the disciples reached the shore, there was already a fire burning and some fish and bread there. Together with the fish in the net, it signified God's provision. Miracles happen and God will meet our needs when we obey.However, I also believe that the fire, fish and bread at the beach would still have been there had the disciples not obeyed Jesus to throw their nets on the right side of the boat. Out of His love and mercy for us, God will still provide for us. Amen!

Before the crucifixion, Jesus was always with the disciples. After His crucifixion and resurrection, Jesus only appeared to His disciples periodically. At the Sea of Tiberias was the third time that Jesus appeared to His disciples. Peter was obviously longing and eager to see Jesus again.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus preparing breakfast shows care of his disciples’ physical needs, and his sharing of the human enjoyment of sitting together with others at a meal.  Peter was so happy and eager to be back with Jesus he couldn’t wait for the boat to come even a very short distance back to land.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (John 21:7-14) What does Jesus preparing breakfast for the disciples say about his love for them? His provision? What does Peter's early morning swim say about his love for Jesus?

He invites his disciples to come and dine with Him. He bids communion with them. Christ, the risen Christ, was showing Himself alive by eating – demonstrating that He had a true body which was capable of eating – proof of His resurrection and wanted fellowship with them.

Peter wanted to be with Jesus first before the others. It was amazing Jesus was alive and he was eager to meet Him.

• 4 months later...

As always, Jesus spoke and then used his own actions to emphasize the meaning behind the words.  Here he’s clearly putting his love for them on display (like a father’s love for his children) as a reminder that He will always take care of those who leave everything to follow him.  He’s showing them that because of their love and faith, they would never want for anything and by preparing their meal, He’s focusing his full attention on their physical (and spiritual) needs.  By joining them in the meal he’s establishing unequivocally that his resurrected body isn’t simply an aberration, it’s real and as He shared in the catch I’m quite sure He was teaching and inspiring them for the tasks that He alone knew lay ahead for all of them after he was gone.

After his denial of Jesus, Peter may have felt that he had something to prove.  He was always the most passionate apostle and I believe he wanted to reach Christ first to somehow atone for his earlier misgivings and to demonstrate the allegiance and unceasing love that he felt for his master. 

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus is a loving Friend and tender Caregiver. I am certain He looked forward to this time with His beloved disciples with great delight. Not only did He create the moment for that, He made sure to care for the details of their practical needs by making breakfast provisions for these hungry, tired men who had been laboring at the fishing nets. He is always aware of our every need, and ready to provide – before we're even aware of them!

From the boat, Peter couldn't contain his joy when he saw Jesus on the shore. Unwilling to wait until the boat came in, He threw on his outer cloak, jumped in the water, and scrambled to shore to greet His beloved Master. Perhaps a bit of his impulsive nature there, but he was moved by his gratitude and love for Jesus.  Maybe we should all be a little more impulsive when Jesus "shows up" in our lives!

• 2 years later...

Jesus was always showing his love especially to the disciples so for him to cook them a breakfast was just another way of showing it. They knew that he could provide because he had shown that many time while he was with him. Peter was excited to see Jesus just like a friend that he hadn’t seen in a while.

• 8 months later...

I believe it shows how much He truly cared for their physical needs. He wanted to provide their physical needs and give them something to eat. It shows that Peter loved Jesus enough to be reconciled to Him.

• 5 months later...

Jesus is setting an example and teaching the disciples that there isn't anything that he wouldn't do for those who serve and follow and love Him.  They can depend on Him to provide their needs and to take care of them . That is how we show love, by doing for others. I believe that Peter missed Jesus so much that he was excited to be in his presence again. Until the crucifixion, they had spent every day and hour with Jesus. Being away from him created a void in his life, I believe and he missed Jesus and the time they spent together.  Peter was always the one to show his fiery spirit.  He was always the one who was quick to angry or aggressive in his behavior and words. So upon seeing Jesus on shore he was so excited that he couldn't wait for the boat to carry him , he couldn't get to Jesus fast enough!. We are all excited to see loved ones after being away from them for a period of time.  Especially the ones we are with 24/7, day in and day out.

• 2 years later...

Christ wanted to demonstrate His utmost love for His disciples.  What a testimony to behold! They would view His wounds in His precious hands as He was distributing the bread and fish.   Plus seeing the miraculous catch of fish; this would further strengthen their faith.   On the seashore, a scanty meal was bring prepared.  It Peter was being prepared to have a conference with Christ.  Peter needed time alone with Christ to further establish his future ministry.  Peter's role in the Acts of Apostles would underscore this precious time of fellowship.

Peter jumped into the water after he heard the clarion message of John, "It is the Lord".  The words of John so touched his heart that he wanted to cast himself at the Master's feet.  Christ was now glorified; Christ's new appearance and manner--kept them in awe. John's cry of witness--Christ the Truth of God-- directed Peter to go to Christ.

• 9 months later...

Q2. (John 21:7-14)

What does Jesus preparing breakfast for the disciples say about His love for them?

What does Jesus preparing breakfast for the disciples say about His provision?

Jesus knew that they would be tired and hungry after having been on the Lake all night.  He cared about them and reminded them that He could be counted on to meet their physical needs also.  By His accepting them in their natural environment He showed that He not only loved them but also understood what their needs were.  Peter, was not prepared to wait before reaching the shore by boat, but jumped into the water and swam to shore, reaching Jesus first, ahead of the others.  I guess his nature was to be impulsive but he also wanted to be with Jesus as much as possible.  It was hard to forget that he had denied Him in his moment of fear and uncertainty.