JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Change and Compromise

Daniel and his friends experienced cultural changes, language changes, belief changes when they were taken to Babylon in their teenage years.

They were no longer considered members of the Royal Family in Jerusalem but servants in Babylon

Changing their names was probably one of the hardest changes because they believed their original names were given to them for the purpose of what their names meant.

If they became Eunuchs the impact would be no Wife, no children and nothing to look forward too except serving the King.

They did make compromises with what they were given to eat,

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Daniel 1:1-7) What changes did Daniel and his friends experience? What was their status in Jerusalem? In Babylon? What do you think was the effect of changing their names to Babylonian names? What impact might it have on them to be made eunuchs? Did they make compromises? If so, why?

Pretty much everything about their lives changed. Complete culture shock. It would be easier to list what didn't change. As far as I can see, the only thing that didn't was their faith in and commitment to God.

It seems they were a part of the most privileged class in Judah as the children of the ruling class.

In Babylon, they still were involved in life at court, but they knew their place was more subservient as expatriates, exiles and even hostages. That would change over time but they couldn't have known that then. At the same time, Daniel was bold enough to speak up about the food, so maybe they weren't as intimidated as I think they would've been. I believe the boldness was a gift from God that helped them to be faithful witnesses...Lights to the pagan world.

Changing their names probably really upset them, especially at first, since names carry so much deeper meaning in Hebrew culture than in Babylonian. The narrative doesn't tell us that there was any conflict over the names though, so I believe God must've let them know that it was a battle He didn't necessarily want them to fight.

There are the obvious physical impacts of being gelded -- no desire for marriage or anything that entails. That could've been a real positive as far as their perceived usefulness to their new master. It would also allow them the same focus as far as their devotion to God and the mission they had from Him.

It seems they compromised about the names they were given, even if they weren't too happy about being named for Babylonian gods.I think they saw that such things didn't mean as much in Babylon as in Judah and that resisting would have been possibly hazardous to their well-being or advancement, which would've impacted the effectiveness of their witness for God.

Their changes were Location,Diet,practices,environment. Their status in Jerusalem was respect maybe even envied, royalty and or nobility. In babylon they were exiled kept to be servant. Changeing their names would help in getting rid of their faith, and cause them to forget where they were from, and focus more on the culture where they were now apart of, also to help and assimulate them into the culture. Being made an eunch would have an significant impact on their lives, never seeing their seed carried on. These men did not compromise, they would not difile themselves with the King's meat.

In Jerusalem, Daniel and his friends were from royal and nobility families. In Babylon they were slaves to the king. It had to be a drastic change for them considering the names they were given were from Babylonian gods. I can't hold even imagine how they felt going from serving one God and being slaves in a place where they had many gods. Their faith was definitely tested. Daniel and his friends becoming eunuchs had a big impact on their lives, which they had to keep their minds on the one true God, their beliefs and their faith in Him at all times. They didn't compromise but instead kept their minds on the one true God.

Q2. (Daniel 1:1-7) What changes did Daniel and his friends experience? What was their status in Jerusalem? In Babylon? What do you think was the effect of changing their names to Babylonian names? What impact might it have on them to be made eunuchs? Did they make compromises? If so, why? 

I can see for these young teenagers, it must have been a cultural shock to enter into a non-Jewish culture, essentially an unclean culture.  I would imagine a little fear and uncertainty was part of their experience. I also wonder about their emotional status as they were quite possibly experiencing loss in their lives from family or friends killed, separated, or left behind.  They were likely familiar with the palace scene as some of those protocols might have been familiar, but there were different expectations, and their status had changed from nobility to slave/servant.  Their names might have been changed to Babylonian names, but I know that their Jewish faith and culture was not taken from them.  They were still Israelites at heart.  And they were still faithful to the one true God  The situation of being made eunuchs or how they adapted to their new situation, appears to hold on to what is important and compromise on the non-essentials to get along.  What I admire about them is that they adapted to the culture as God had instructed them to do, but hold on to the importance of their faith in God.

They experienced cultural changes and language. They were from royalty in Jerusalem and subjects in Babylon. When their names were changed it didn't change their faith. Becoming eunuchs only caused them to rely on God all the more. They did not compromise they stood firm.

They were in a strange land and away from their family.  In Jerusalem they were had high status.  They were royalty.  In Babylon against they were prisoners and having their names changed was a way of taking away their identify. To be eunuchs meant that they could not carry on their seed.  They held fast to their faith and did not compromise but instead found favour.

Q2. (Daniel 1:1-7) What changes did Daniel and his friend’s experience?

There were many changes to come to these young Jewish men who loved their God, the God of Israel, it was because of their faith that they were prepared and ready to face the trials that would come, these men were educated and cunning, men of discernment, for they understood, judgment had come to the people of Judah because of their disobedience and idolatry:  I believe the most devastating change came at the beginning, when they had their names changed, for in Jerusalem, a name defined the person, Daniel  means “God is My Judge” and to be given a Babylonian name that would define David with the goddess Sarpanitu, the wife of the Babylonian god, Marduk, had to be a most difficult change for Daniel to live with, I believe it was because their hearts were circumcised that they were better prepared for the changes that would come.

Q3. What impact might it have on them to be made eunuchs?

The word eunuch (sarisim) comes from a root meaning to “castrate,” it also means an officer, the scripture says, the king instructed the master of his eunuchs to bring some of the children of Israel,  men who are able to serve in the King’s palace to teach the language and literature of the Chaldeans. I believe this was a blessing in disguise, as a eunuch was often regarded as a privileged official, and he enjoyed the personal friendship of the king, for the king often sought after his advice, it was because Daniel purposed in his heart not to defile himself, that he found favor with the prince of the eunuchs. 

I do not know if Daniel and his friends were castrated, or were set apart to advise the king, but I do see the blessings in disguise to those who purpose in their hearts to be faithful.

Daniel as a teenager ,,faced many challenges along with his three friends ,Name changed to unacceptable  and strange names , ,Lifted out from freedom of a noble  and unblemished tribe , to the training  and conditioning environment  of a foreign pagan ruler ,in another land

The status in Jerusalem were as servant  eunuchs to the king of Babylon ,to stand in his palace .,,after three years of training ,

Changing the name was a cruel,crafty  and well planned tactic that they have to be fully programmed to the nature of the new identity .,However ,the narration shows that the boys stood their ground with strong mental integrity and spiritual foundation.Making them eunuchs were also a part of 

breaking the personality  and create  total control over these brilliant lads ,

They did not make any major comprises ,except to sustain life ,but made known their position as far as praying to God Yahweh and choice of diet ,They were also very well behaved and polite to the new masters ,They made known the Power of their God,the God of Israel , who they served ,,

Q2   Daniel and his friends went from Royalty to being a student in a foreign country.  The leader was going to make them members of his court after their education lasting 3 years.  At that time they wouldn't remember where they had come from, but only their new home.  They would become Babylonians from their new name to their speech to their thinking.  On the question regarding being made eunuchs, I can't quite make up my mind.  Upon further investigation in outside resources on the definition, I am just not sure.  I found three definitions of the word.  Strong's #5631 mentions "valet" or "minister of state" and #7249 mentions "chief chamberlain".  I will say that yes they were probably eunuch's but with their bodily parts in tact.  Otherwise they would not have been "perfect" or "without any physical impediment".   But on the other hand, they may have been eunuchs so there would be no reproduction, which would have an effect on the population of Israel.  I am sure there were compromises,  especially when first taken to Babylon.  My first guess as to why would be to stay alive.

They had to make drastic changes. They has their names changed. In Jerusalem they were of nobility but in Babylon they were slaves working in the counsel if the King, Being in such a position they had to change their names to false Babylon god names. They never compromise their faith in God. They stayed faithful.

1.they experience a change in location, feeding and the type of food, rank, identity etc.

2.princes, rulers etc.

3. slaves and servants to the king

4. to integrate them into the system of the Babylonians culture

5. this brings about their future generation being cut out as in no descendant

6. yes, in not defiling themselves with the kings meal which is an abormination in their land, which means they maintained their stand and faith in God.

The changes that Daniel and his friends experienced was a complete cultural change. The ways of society, religious beliefs, language and laws. The practice of their former religion was a threat to their very life if caught worshiping their God instead of the Babylonian gods and king.

Their status of Daniel and his friends when back in Jerusalem was that of nobility. Their parents or perhaps themselves were probably of the Jerusalem King's court.

Because of their nobility in Jerusalem they were trusted to a better life in Babylon being given 3 years to learn the culture of their new home. They were in great physical health, quick to learn, young, handsome and could function in the king's court.

Changing their names from the ancestral type names of Israel where their names usually connected to the deity of the One True God. Now being in Babylon they were given names that would refer to the gods of their new home. This must have been a disgrace and embarrassment for them.

Being made eunuchs and placed in the kings court was definitely a loss of manhood, now having no family, their only loyalty left was to the king.

If they made compromises it would probably be to serve the king their entire life if they were not made into eunuchs.            

It is good to ask these questions  but other than being uncomfortable, and maybe hurt deep inside, I can not imagine, since each was of noble birth, it was like they were demoted. Being eunuch would be something I would have found hard to support, from an enemy. But to the king's court, also a high privilege, better than rebelling and being killed 

The change that Daniel and his friends had gone through was very drastic.  Some people may not be able to accept it and can considered that accepting such change is defying their belief, honour, dignity, freedom.  They might prefer be martyrs than accepting such change.

But what is the reason for them to accept the change of names and serve the Babylonian king?  We know they did not defy God in their heart.  The wisdom is we should worship God in truth and in spirit (John 4:24).  The change of identity, physical appearance, or living environment, or submitting ourselves to the civil authority is not a matter.  We should accept those changes as a sacrifice of ourselves to serve the purpose of God's will.

This section of Daniel 1:1-7, is a lesson of wisdom for us to learn.

Q2. (Daniel 1:1-7) 

What changes did Daniel and his friends’ experience? 

What was their status in Jerusalem? 

In Babylon? 

What do you think was the effect of changing their names to Babylonian names? 

What impact might it have on them to be made eunuchs? 

Did they make compromises? 

If so, why? 

Nebuchadnezzar knew that he had to employ Jewish people for his own purposes if his victory over Jerusalem was to be permanent. He thus surrounded himself with scholars and wise men of all kinds. They had to be taught to live and think like citizens of Babylon, and some would in time serve in the king’s palace. To achieve this he took young men from the royal family of Judah and from other leading Jewish families. They were to undergo a rigorous three-year course of training after which they were to enter the king’s service. That educational program probably included a study of agriculture, architecture, astrology, astronomy, law, mathematics, and the difficult Akkadian language. Thus Daniel and his friends experienced isolation from the ways and Word of the Lord; at the same time being indoctrinated into the ways of the Babylonians. They were given names which incorporated the names of Babylonian deities. This further separated them from their past and with their ties to the Lord. Besides the culture shock they experienced they were made eunuchs adding to the complete change of life. These youngster were given the same food and wine that the king was served. They may have viewed eating it as a compromise of their commitment to the Lord, as food over which a pagan prayer of consecration had been offered. 

Change of Culture, Names and Status.

In Jerusalem they were from noble and royal families.

In Babylon they were taken as slaves who will serve in the kings palace.

Their names were in relation to their believe in the one triune God. So in Babylon they changed their names to that of their idol gods belonging to the land in order for them to convert them from their faithin God.

It was not their choice to be eunuchs, They were forced by the change that they were experiencing.

No they did not make any compromises but they stood firm in their believe in God although they were ready to serve in the kings palace.

Not only did Daniel and his friends have to experience a culture shock they also had their names changed. In Jerusalem they were from some kind of a royal family but in Babylon they are now slaves. The changing of names was probably not more than an inconvenience because they stilled worshiped the one and only God. Making them a eunuch would have had a terrific impact on them but they still worshiped God knowing that He had everything in control.

These guys experienced cultural change.Nebuchadnezzar changed the names of Daniel and his friends because he wanted to make them Babylonian—in their own eyes and in the eyes of the Babylonian people. New names would help them to be assimilated into the culture. Daniel means “God is my judge” in Hebrew; his name was changed to Belteshazzar, meaning “Bel, protect his life!” (Bel, also called Marduk, was the chief Babylonian god.) Hananiah means “the LORD shows grace”; his new name, Shadrach, probably means “under the command of Aku” (the moon god). Mishael means “who is like God?”; his new name, Meshach, probably means “who is like Aku?” Azariah means “the LORD helps”; his new name, Abednego, means “servant of Nego/Nebo” (or Nabu, the god of learning and writing). This was how the king attempted to change the religious loyalty of these young men from Judah’s God to Babylon’s gods.

It was a common practice in ancient times for rulers to castrate some of their servants and/or advisers in order to subdue and pacify them. It was especially common to castrate men who tended the royal harem. This was going to distroy their life.

The current flood of refugees today reminds me that since creation there have been human conquerors and the defeated  ( and a great deal of cruelty meted out)

but what id our God doing in this time with these people streaming into the complacent West

Nebuchadnezzar's conquest are well-documented in history and this introduction to Daniel shows how he totally subdued the people he defeated

It is also a story of great hope. Daniel and his friends rose above human misery and the degradation  in the treatment they were subjected to, by honouring the one true God. In turn, through them, he revealed His Power

since eating the food they chose to eat, showed the Chief Steward that their God was able to do mighty things

They refused to compromise their belief in Yahweh & He honoured that basic decision.  May we have courage today not to compromise our standards to fit in with the world and make life "easier" for ourselves.

Are we fearful? This story should convince us that God will bless us if we hope in Him

What changes did Daniel and his friends experience? What was their status in Jerusalem? In Babylon? What do you think was the effect of changing their names to Babylonian names? What impact might it have on them to be made eunuchs? Did they make compromises? If so, why? 

This question has been on my mind for the last few days in a roundabout way ~ What a brilliant move by the Babylonians in gaining and maintaining control of a group (arguably we see similar moves in groups attempting to gain power today).  They acquire these boys, train them from an intellectual standpoint on the language and culture but recognize that they needed more....and if they defile the inside, like they had planned to defile (or retrain) the outside, they overtake the complete person.  Eventually, the unique thought processes and ideologies of the Jewish people, along with their culture including dialect and dietary cuisine become forgotten things of the past.  

We know that everything had a meaning to this people - names and foods and processes and rituals - everything has a deeper thought or understanding that can be gleaned from it.  By changing the names of these boys there may have been a mocking element but also possibly an attempt to change their identity or at minimum to get this group to question who they really are.  Because if a name or a title or everything in your world that you thought was stable could suddenly and unapologeticly be turned on its head (and the God that you have stories and songs about doesn't appear to have made a visible move in your lifetime - for your eyes to see), you can begin to question everything.  It's in these times of questioning we have the opportunity to really explore truth and come to a place of understanding for ourselves (making our faith our own).  

As to compromise, they very well may have made compromises however it does not appear they were substative enough to have any negative impact on their faith or beliefs.  We now understand that the Christian walk is so individualized that what may be okay for one may not be okay for the other as we all have a unique makeup and design and purpose.  I do not think that we can make an across-the-board judgement on whether or not actions can be interpreted as compromising especially if we have read ahead and see that these individuals at this point are building a faith that will take them through some of the most extreme of circumstances.

Daniel and his friends were taken as slaves into a foreign nation. In Jerusalem they were from a royal family. In babylon they served the king in the palace. Change of names meant a change of their identity. Being made eunuchs means they would not have offsprings to continue their generations. They didn't compromise because they were devoted to God.

These young men were literally uprooted from their country and from their culture and turned into slaves of the Babylonians. They were from the royal background in Jerusalem. In Babylon they were servants and made eunuchs. Their names were changed - they were given new names. All these changes were demeaning to them. They did not want to defile their Faith, hence they requested to be given a vegetarian meal instead of portion from the king's meals. This they did with all humility and persuasion. 

Q2. (Daniel 1:1-7)

What changes did Daniel and his friends experience?

I would imagine that the changes were pretty big, not only were they removed from their homes and family they were put with foreign people with foreign ways. Their names were changed. The people they were used to being around changed. They went from being of noble birth and having all the rights with that went along with that taken away and replaced with something completely different and less. The biggest change I would imagine would have been being forced to become a eunuch.

What was their status in Jerusalem? In Babylon?

In Jerusalem they were noble, possibly even royalty. In Babylon they were given to a eunuch and now told what to do. It doesn't say that they were treated as slaves but their positions had taken a step down.  

What do you think was the effect of changing their names to Babylonian names?

For me having my name changed would have made me feel very out of place and very upset. In their own culture names are important and mean certain things to them, to have that taken away and changed to (in certain cases) names of false gods had to have been disconcerting.  

What impact might it have on them to be made eunuchs?

To have the right to create children and have relations with women taken away by force had to have been devastating. It could have been extremely emotionally and physically horrifying to deal with.

Did they make compromises? If so, why?          ​

In spite of the stress, and changes, and mutilation to their bodies. they don't really seem to compromise in the matters of their heart. Daniel knew that there was a healthier way of eating and he stuck to it and used wisdom to get his point across to the man in charge of him. I don't see where they would have been compromising in any part that could have had any control over.