JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

(Daniel 6:10-11) How would you characterize Daniel’s prayer practices? Which of these have you adopted? Which might help your prayers if you adopted them? 

1. Praying privately. 

2. Praying toward Jerusalem. 
3. Praying regularly, three times a day. 
4. Praying while kneeling, humbling himself before God.
5. Praying with bowed head.
6. Praying giving thanks, praising.
7. Praying and petitioning God.
8. Praying seeking God's mercy.

Such practices would help maintain our "spiritual connection" with God and put us in a position to hear more clearly from God.

Q6. (Daniel 6:10-11) How would you characterize Daniel's prayer practices? Which of these have you adopted? Which might help your prayers if you adopted them?

WHEN EVIDENCE IS UNAVAILABLE, THEY WILL MANUFACTURE IT! They will use the EGO of the leader to do it.  The leader gets entangled in his own signature and standing behind it as a leader unaware he has been set up by conniving leaders...Usually the target, Daniel, is aware of what is going on but knows to contest would be misunderstood and further the cause of the deceivers.  Leaders always believe those they appoint.  The deceivers know it and will use what they know to entangle the leader. Their  (leader) judgment is at stake...The good news is God is omnipresent and cannot be deceived.

DANIEL'S PRAYERS and practices were never compromised.  "Daniel prayed in keeping with Solomon's plea four hundred years previously" BOLDLY, PRIVATELY, AND FERVENTLY, HE PRAYED FACING JERUSALEM! 

I have adopted the Spirit of Daniel, not necessarily ALL his procedures, though they are all worth considering.

Humbling himself before his God.  He had a very close relationship with God.

Seeking God's mercy, especially for our country, Praise, thanksgiving.

Bowing my knees even if it hurts, praying more times a day.

Q6. (Daniel 6:10-11) How would you characterize Daniel's prayer practices? Which of these have you adopted? Which might help your prayers if you adopted them?

“Hear my voice, 0 God, in my prayer; preserve my life from the terror of the enemy.” (Ps 64:1).

As presented, I believe that Daniel is a pious Jew because he’d choose give his up life for the honor of the Living God rather than exclude devotions to Him. Jew prayed three times a day – as mentioned the morning prayer (introduced by Abraham who served God with love) the “shacharit” – the afternoon prayer (introduced by Isaac who served with awe) the “minchah” – (and one added by Jacob who served with mercy) the evening prayer called the “arvith.”

His praying postures be it kneeling or standing with arms lifted was always directed towards Jerusalem. And he always chose to pray alone in the upper room – he did want others to see for fear of being called a “show off.”

I pray twice a day with a number of short phrases of thanksgiving and supplications throughout the day during my work hours and off work times.

In the morning : I stand with arms lifted and head bowed in front of my small altar thanking God for the new day and the new breath of life and ask for protection for the new day.

In the night : I sit on my bed inside my room praying with clasped hands to thank God for the day and ask protection for the night.

At both my prayer sessions I don’t only pray for myself but also for the rest of my family – I normally include others (friends outside the family) when I’m asked to.

I believe all postures mentioned help – but personally I do not believe in copying from others – To me the type of posture does not matter – it’s the intention to pray and the content of the prayer is that matters.

“Hear my voice, 0 God, in my prayer; preserve my life from the terror of the enemy.”

Q6. (Daniel 6:10-11) How would you characterize Daniel’s prayer practices? Which of these have you adopted? Which might help your prayers if you adopted them?        

Daniel's prayers could be categorized as below

1. Praying privately.

2. Praying toward Jerusalem.

3. Praying regularly,

4. Praying while kneeling,

5. Praying with bowed head.

7. Praying and petitioning God

8. Praying seeking God's mercy

I have adopted most of ​these practices except praying towards Jerusalem.

​

Q6. (Daniel 6:10-11) How would you characterize Daniel’s prayer practices? Which of these have you adopted? Which might help your prayers if you adopted them?

Daniel's prayer practices expressed his devotion to God- he prayed on a regular basis. He was praying and asking God for help (v 11). He acknowledged that he was totally reliant on his God to help him in these difficult circumstances. Life is full of difficult circumstances for us too. In my view posture when praying is not important. God indwells his believers so facing a certain direction is also not important. I like Charisbarak's contribution "Humbling himself before God. He had a very close relationship with God." Bowing before God can be symbolic, for humility before God.

(Daniel 6:10-11) How would you characterize Daniel’s prayer practices? Which of these have you adopted? Which might help your prayers if you adopted them?        

Daniel had a discipline prayer life.  He prayed three times a day, prayed privately, prayed toward Jerusalem, kneeled when he prayed, prayed with bowed head, prayed giving thanks, prayed and petitioned God, and prayed seeking God's mercy.  When I pray, I pray privately, pray with bowed head, always pray giving thanks. Pray seeking God's mercy. 

Daniel got on his knees and prayed toward Jerusalem three times a day. He gave thanks before God for every situation He brought him through. Daniel was the type of person who made petitions and plea before God for others also.

Q6. (Daniel 6:10-11) How would you characterize Daniel's prayer practices?

Daniel was a prayer warrior, faithful  and consistent in prayer "in season and out", day in and out, with the same diligence and as he did his work. He was unashamed of praying (windows open, and out loud, apparently, as he was discovered praying.) He prayed on his knees, in respect and devotion. I love that he gave thanks in prayer, during the crisis, as he had done previously,  showing faith and trust,  not waiting to see how God would answer. He prayed in supplication, asking for God's intervention.

.Which of these have you adopted? 

The first several hours when I awake are spent with the Lord in His word, fellowship and prayer. (retirement affords that time and the kids have flown the nest)  A number of years ago I prayed: Lord, please help me! I pray and think about you in the morning, then realize at bedtime I forgot you for the rest of the day. I want to include you in my thoughts and activities throughout the day, praying as I go! He is faithful! It wasn't long before He inspired me to do just that and it is the joy of my heart! It has become automatic to pray and to thank Him throughout the day and to feel His presence with me!

I don't stick to a legalistic pattern of "3 times a day" but pray whenever I see or feel a need or start to worry or fret, or see someone who needs prayer...just whatever. Often it is just to rejoice over His presence or the beauty of His creation or to thank Him for choosing and calling me to be His daughter. (Eph.1: 4,5; John17:6,7)

Which might help your prayers if you adopted them?

As I read about Daniel I realized at some point I stopped praying on my knees. I curl up with a cup of coffee in a comfy corner of the couch at 6:00 a.m. before anyone else is awake, where I can be alone. I'd like to spend more time on my knees, as when I was a new believer!

He knelt, he prayed in a certain place, he prayed at specific times, it seems, three times a day and always gave thanks to God.

I don't kneel unless someone I'm praying with asks me to, because it hurts my knees so. I pray on the edge of my bed in the morning and try to do it every morning, but I don't keep a schedule otherwise. I try to pray all through the day as I go through my life and as various things arise, or I am reminded of someone who needs prayer and so forth. I almost always remember to thank God for His grace, mercy and love and I try to find a way to thank Him for His providence even if I don't understand what's happening at the time.

A healthy prayer life is essential to our walk as Christians and all these practices help to establish prayer as a priority in our lives.

How would you characterize Daniel's prayer practices?

Daniel went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God. Daniel was praying and asking God for help.

Which of these have you adopted?

I am disabled, so I can not kneel down. However, the prayer practices that I adopted are: Giving thanks to God and asking God for help. I pray for safe travel mercies whenever my wife and I go anywhere in our vehicle. I pray before each meal, and I pray first thing in the morning when I wake up (if my wife doesn't have the lets go now syndrome), and each night before going to sleep. I always pray in private except for meal times.

If I could, definitely kneeling down to my God when I pray.

Q6. (Daniel 6:10-11) How would you characterize Daniel’s prayer practices?

Daniel prayed according to scripture.  How he prayed was the accepted practicing of observant Jews.  He prayed privately toward Jerusalem. he prayed regularly three times while kneeling, with bowed head, giving thanks and praise, petitioning God and seeking His mercy.  I believe that this practice wasn't just because observant Jews were expected to pray this way but also that Daniel sought after God, desired to be in His presence and looked forward to being with God.

I pray daily with bowed head, I offer praise and thanksgiving to God to what He has done in my life.  I petition God to divinely intervene on behalf of others that I mention in name, in situations, for the peace of Jerusalem and divine intervention on behalf of the United States.

During corporate worship I raise my hands while singing praise and worship.  I have never really been completely satisfied with my prayer life and desire an even closer relationship and presence of God when I pray.

Focused prayer, more prayer and praise and less petitioning.

Daniel's prayer practices showed complete devotion and love for god in his worship of Him.

I like to kneel as difficult as this is sometimes, however do believe in praying on all occasions (such as while driving), I don't face Jerusalem, I try to find a place in private.  I like what Ivory Eagle said about praying in the spirit of Daniel.

God bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

How would you characterize Daniel’s prayer practices?

Very devotional and regular.  Daniel prayed with his whole being - heart - mind - body.

Praying regular and devotional with my whole being.

Lifting up my hands toward heaven, God's throne. 

Daniel's prayer practices are truthful to the way he was taught and raised as per Jewish traditions.  My praying practice is very much different.  It is part of my whole life in everything I think, do and speak.  I consider that my entire life should be a perpetual prayer offered to God.  It is not whether I should kneel, or prostrate, or raise hands that can define the quality of my prayer.  It is even not the many times of saying prayer or praying aloud in public, or silently in my heart, that defines my prayer.  Prayer is very much the intention of my life and the truthfulness of my heart towards God's love.

Roman Catholic followers practice their prayers by saying the rosary and attending masses.  Protestant or evangelical followers practice their prayers by singing, raising hands, dancing, etc.  That are some examples of praying practices that Christian churches are using in congregational assembly.

Q6. (Daniel 6:10-11) How would you characterize Daniel's prayer practices? Which of these have you adopted?  Which might help your prayers if you adopted them?

1. I think Daniel had good prayer practices, but that should not mean he is only limited to that  time. We can pray anytime during the day or night.

2. Praying regularlyPraying giving thanks, praisingPraying seeking God's mercy, and  Praying  with bowed head.

3.  Praying while kneeling, and the others such as: Praying regularlyPraying giving thanks,  praisingPraying seeking God's mercy, and  Praying with bowed head.

Q6. (Daniel 6:10-11) 

We can see that Daniel was a man of prayer. It was his custom to pray privately with his window open towards Jerusalem. I would think that this might have helped him, as an exile, to stay focused on the power and promises of God that were symbolized by Jerusalem. He humbled himself before God by kneeling with a bowed head. We also notice that he was extremely disciplined in his prayers by praying regularly three times a day. His prayers included both thanksgiving and intercession or supplication. Acknowledging God’s goodness to him, and seeking God’s guidance and help. He never made any attempt to hide his devotion to or his dependence on God. He was not ashamed of our Lord, even in such a hostile environment. I feel I have a lot to learn from Daniel about his discipline in prayer. The prayer practices I adhere to are praying daily and privately early each morning. During the day I acknowledge our Lord Jesus in everything I do; so I’m communicating with Him most of the time. Before praying I realize that I’m totally helpless, and totally dependent on God. It is also when praying for others that I’m again reminded that we ourselves rely on the grace of God. I always pray with thanksgiving and praising our Heavenly Father for who He is. I should perhaps be praying more often by coming humbly before Him on my knees. 

Daniels prayer practices were that of a devote Jew who loves the Lord. He prayed as commanded, privately, facing through an open window toward Jerusalem, keeping Solomon's plea, when Gods people prayed this way God would hear their prayers.

I pray nightly, preferably outside under an open sky.

By adopting the ways of Solomon, I would have a better prayer life, keeping me in line with Gods plan for me.         

Lesson 3 Question 6

The lesson summarizes Daniels prayer practices as: praying privately, praying toward Jerusalem, praying regularly, praying while kneeling, praying with bowed head, praying giving thanks - praising, praying and petitioning God, and praying - seeking God's mercy.

I have adopted some of these, namely praying regularly, in private, giving thanks- praising God, petitioning and seeking His mercy for my sins.

These are all very helpful and I thank God that these have been tought to me and I do appreciate that the lesson encourages us to pray in such a way.

Q6. (Daniel 6:10-11) 

a.Daniel is a Praying man ,Very disciplined and at peace with himself and spiritually of strong foundation ,All the trials and negativity in environment did not move his core values that is anchored in prayer ,

The method of prayer ,opening the window to Jerusalem and body posture and time is indeed a time table that is a part of his daily living ,,as of any service person knows ,the time table keeps a person not miss a path of daily routine ,it holds them perfect ,a soldier and warrior ,very well anchored to goal of life ,here Daniels goal is to stand firm in God ,

b,I humble myself and begin my prayer with praise and thanks ,,If I am overwhelmed ,I prostrate ,,and bring together all my senses to concentrate in Him 

c.I pray regularly at night with family ,we sing a couple of hymns ,,this has continues all my life ,,( now I am middle aged ) we read a lesson from Bible ,either its a book(gospel) or psalms ,,then we pray ,one person leading it ,I also now make use of every opportunity I get ,I am no more a  reader of gossip mags or visual media ,,,as life has taken a serious goal of worshiping

my Savior and sharing faith '

Daniel's prayer life was consistent and based more on relationship than duty. It was his most important relationship, even though he was removed from his homelands, he never stopped thinking about the God of the covenant and committed to be faithful to that covenant. I always need more consistency and more disciplined in prayer. Daniel shows me that I need a greater priority on my relationship with God.

Daniel 6:10-11) How would you characterize Daniel's prayer practices? Which of these have you adopted? Which might help your prayers if you adopted them.

Daniel was consistent, praying three times a day, not for show but in his home, gives thanks and praise to God.

My prayer life is something I do alone yet off and on during the day. I'm not one to pray around others.

Daniel followed the practice that mirrored David's record of crying out to God for help morning, noon, and night when he was facing his son Absalom's rebellion and betrayal by a traitor as he was pleading for God's salvation. (Psalm 119:164 indicates prayer/praise 7 times a day, so I wonder if the three daily prayer times may have been more of a generalized picture of constant communication with God through the day and not necessarily meant to define a “prayer law”, even though regular times for prayer are a good habit.) But Daniel followed that practice and I don't imagine that it was just a ritual for him. He genuinely worshiped Yahweh with a thankful heart and sought His direction, favor, mercy, and intervention. And this was certainly a time of distress when he would cry out to God on a regular basis.

Daniel began his private prayer times by preparing to focus his heart and attention on Yahweh. Jerusalem represented the place of God's dwelling among His people and the divine promises of God to protect/deliver them, so he physically oriented his body and mind in that direction. He humbled himself by getting down on his knees to pray with recognition of his lowly inferior position before God. And then he began to pray. To my understanding and application today, the most important place where Daniel started was in giving thanks before God. This sets our attitude of approach to Him as one of gratitude for who He is, what He has already done, and what He has promised to do – no matter what our circumstances may be. Gratitude help keep everything else in proper perspective. Then Daniel moved on to make his petition and pleas for help. I could certainly do better in all these areas with regular times for focused prayer partnered with an ongoing conversation throughout the day.