JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should not listen to what the world says because this is not our home. We are in the world but not of the world. These are the lies of the devil who was cast down to earth. This world belongs to him.We should not conform to the world. This world is corrupt with sin and it will get worst as the end times are here. Like a woman who will give birth the birth pangs are starting, the signs are there. This world as we know it will no longer exist.

Q4. (2:11) Read 1 Peter 2:11 carefully. The world tells us (1) to conform and (2) that sin won't hurt us. What does Peter tell us to combat these lies? How can this reminder help us?

Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul"

Peter tells us to abstain from sinful desires. I think an important part of this scripture is the fact that evil desires DO and ARE warring against our souls. Satan is not taking a vacation or a nap. His goal is to seek us out and kill and destroy us. And he will try to get to us however he can. So we must be aware of this and realize that we are not of this world and it is our responsibility to teach our children and the next generation the truth. Our Pastor at church used the frog in hot water story to explain his sermon called "The Superbowl Peep Show - A Christian Response" I think a lot of us let sin "happen" in our lives and we are so accustomed to it, we aren't shocked and we don't do a thing about it. It isn't just how we act in our lives, it is how we react (or conform or not conform) to this world and the sin in it. If we tell a little white lie to our boss to make up for our 20 minutes late, if we cuss at the guy in the car who just swerved in front of us, if we get angry at our husband and tell him he just doesn't understand and roll our eyes at him like he is stupid. This is Satan working at your soul. Saying, it's ok, it's just a little thing. But those little things add up and pretty soon we are watching the Superbowl half time show and this thing with Janet Jackson means nothing. It doesn't offend us, we don't write to the FCC, CBS, MTV, Viacom and the NFL. We just let it slide and laugh with the rest of our friends.

We are not of this world. We are aliens to this world. When people look at us, they should be seeing someone that is different than most people they know. We can't conform to this world and live like the natives do. Who is our King?

Q4. (2:11)

Read 1 Peter 2:11 carefully. The world tells us (1) to conform and (2) that sin won't hurt us. What does Peter tell us to combat these lies? How can this reminder help us?

Peter urges us to abstain from sinful desires and that the world battles for our souls. We are strangers and aliens here in the world.

The reminder reminds us who we are, a holy nation, a peoples of royal priesthood, God's people. That we are to be on guard and watchful of our soul. For the world is like bait on a line waiting to hook a fish or trap it and cook it in frying pan. Be wise, be alert and if you abide in Jesus, remain in Him until you reach the homeland where God dwells.

Peter tells us we are aliens and strangers - this is NOT our home. For me this reminds me that I don't have to drive an expensive luxury car or the hottest SUV. I don't have wear the top brand-named clothes or see the most popular movie of the year if its content is offensive. I don't have to compete in the market place when that would require me to lie or cheat or steal. It tells me that I don't have to answer to the pull of this world. I so often need these reminders to bring my mind and my focus back to what is truly important and that is living a life worthy of my true home.

Read 1 Peter 2:11 carefully. The world tells us (1) to conform and (2) that sin won't hurt us. What does Peter tell us to combat these lies? How can this reminder help us?

He urges us to abstain becaue we are aliens and strangers here and as those chosen of God we should be alien to these behaviors. How can we do those things which war against our soul.

We have His Word to remind us. I see it in my family. The ones who don't read the Word and don't go to church think nothing of these behaviors. As long as we are in the flesh we will have temptations but I thank God for His Word and His Spirit in me convicting me of sin so I can repent and receive His forgiveness.

This reminder helps me because it is given to everyone. Imagine if you thought you were the only one struggling in the areas of the flesh. What guilt and shame but these reminders are given because we are all tempted.

God Bless,

Jen

Peter tells us that we are strangers in this world that this world is not our home and that satan uses sinful desires to wage war against our soul to make us struggle against right and wrong, Peter tells us that we need to say no to these desires for they are not pleasing to God. This helps us in that we have the knowledge of this war against our souls and with this knowledge, and the power of the spirit within us, we know we can abstrain from these desires.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul tells us that they WAR aginast our sould--that they seek todestroy or at least tear us down in defeat. He also tells us that since this is not our true or final home that we should stay clear of these things. We should seperate ourselves from the desires that will lead to sin, and defeat us.

When tempted we need to remember where our REAL home is, WHOM we serve and WHOSE we are. We should remember that we are to remain seperate and holy for our bridegroom. We also need to rmember that sin ALWAYS hurts...always defeats...always is destructive. There is NO innocent sin.

That it was only 1 sin that would have sent Christ to the cross. To think each time I sin that Christ had to die on the cross for that actually sickens me. makes me fall on my knees in repentence and humility to know what He had to pay for my sins...each one of them.

The world is not our real home we are here for a very short time and we must remmember who we are and our real citizenship. While here we are engaed in daily spiritual combat. We must know the enemy and his devices. Constant vigilence and perserverance is essential. We represent the Lord and should be mindful that our actions reflect upon Him. Additionally our hope is to be with Him, Now and forever. To quench the spirit is tp bring pain and isolation upon ourselves. To be obedient is to live a joyful life here and now!

We are sojourners and pilgrims, ie out of our homeland - which is Heaven.

Therefore don't get comfortable in the world. Don't participate in its ungodly, animal-like activities which despoil our soul (mind, emotions, and power to determine).

This reminder helps us remember WHO we are, and therefore where our loyalties lie.

As a team football player would not normally turn around and kick goals for the other side, neither should we!

:blink:

Q4. (2:11) Read 1 Peter 2:11 carefully. The world tells us (1) to conform and (2) that sin won't hurt us. What does Peter tell us to combat these lies? How can this reminder help us?

We must abstain form these "sinful desires" that the world wants us to indulge in! When we fall into the trap that "sin won't hurt us," we find the truth--that it truly does hurt us. Anything that comes between us and our Lord has eternal consequences! What can be worse than knowing we will be separated from the Lord--eternally!? We can call on His power to bring strength to resist any temptation. He is faithful to do just that--if we ask in sincerity. Help us? Of course! We cannot win without His strength in us! But, with this, all power is given to us. "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens us!" Glory to God! :D

The world tells us (1) to conform and (2) that sin won't hurt us. What does Peter tell us to combat these lies? How can this reminder help us?

Peter urges us to abstain from sinful desires, which war against our soul. Both the New Testament and the Old Testament warns us not to be double minded in our words and our deeds. Pre-Christians are watchful and observing our actions. We must know, love and serve God with our whole heart and our whole soul and our whole mind.

The world tells us that sin won't hurt us, but Jesus said, "Do you not know that you are the Temple of the Holy Spirit? If you destroy the temple, I will destroy you." How does God destroy us if we live in the world? First, when we use drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes we are destroying our healthy bodies that God gave us. It is a lie from the enemy that sin won't hurt us. He is the one who comes to steal, kill and destroy.

I like the way that the Message translates this verse:

1Pe 2:11 Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul.

Don't make yourselves cozy. Yes, there will be trials and temptations. Yes, there will be things to test our faith.

But we are not at home here. We are visitors. We are also a peculiar people. We have an awesome weapon that can cut those trials and temptations down to size. The Word of God. A living and powerful sword.

So, in conclusion, you have a weapon. Use it. Fight your way throught his land that you are visiting and look forward to your home where you have an inheritance waiting for you.

Q4. (2:11) Read 1 Peter 2:11 carefully. The world tells us (1) to conform and (2) that sin won't hurt us. What does Peter tell us to combat these lies?

Peter urges us to learn to say no to our sinful desires, staying away from those people and situations that are intent on tempting us. We are confronted with, and are constantly tempted by today

Peter tells us not to conform, but rather to ABSTAIN from this world's sinful desires, because in all truth we are strangers here. God has called us out for a purpose, a purpose that will be hard to accomplish if we keep running back to the world for comfort. We have the comfort of God and of our holy family (the church) to see us through! Besides, the comfort of this world is no comfort at all. It is not even neutral. It WAGES WAR against our souls.

Father God, help us to see things as they truly are - as You see them. Help us to desire Your love, Your mercy, and Your comfort over the things of this world. And may we, Your peculiar people, declare Your praises!

AMEN

We are only visitors here. Our real home is in Heaven. Peter is begging us to stay away from the pleasures of this world. He is letting us know they are not for us, and sin fight aganist our very soul. We should not conform ourselves of this world.

I think about the passage in Rom.12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. The world has continual pressure upon people to think and act in a certain manner. This word "conform" causes me to think of metal that is put into a die and forced into that shape. We can, however, only be forced into this shape through our ignorance of God's Word or us voluntarily acquiescing.

To be conformed is to take something as it is and form it into another shape. To be transformed is to take something as it is and make it something else, different from the original.

Peter tells us that we are not of this world and so it is unnatural for us to be like it. There would never be peace. We have been bought with a price and have the Holy Spirit resident within us. We are unable to serve two masters.

Many places in the Bible we are told that our minds need to be renewed, transformed, washed.

Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge..." It is critical that we have the foundation of the Word of God dwelling richly in us. It is through this knowledge that we have access into all things that pertain unto life and godliness.(2Pet 1:3)

Ephesians 4:17 "This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, :18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:" Yes it is possible for a child of God to be alienated from the life of God because of their ignorance. We then become targets for the "roaring lion" who seeks to devour them who are unprepared.

Anyway, there is abundance of Scripture that we cannot ignore, and I diverge from the question.

The reminder that we are strangers and pilgrims helps us in that Psalms 1:1 " Blessed [is] the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful." We obtain our direction from a different source than the world and realize that often our position will be in opposition to the world. Psalms 1:2 But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Peter tells us that we are being assaulted all the time, and that we must resist the temptations that constantly barrage us from all sides. He reminds us that this is a war for our souls, a war we cannot allow ourselves to lose. He reminds is that we are aliens, in-not of this world. These reminders help us to keep focused on the lifestyle we must adopt, that we may always give glory to the Father by acting like we are his in spirit - mind- and body.

It says that we should abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul. Besides Eve conformed to the lies of Satan and she thought that sin would not hurt her and look at the devasting long lasting results...

Galatians 5:16 says: "Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the **** of the flesh."

This reminder can help us by making us realize that we must have the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives in order to live as God would have us live. We can not do it by ourselves. "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure." Phil. 2:13

As we pray each day to be filled with the Holy Spirit, He will lead us to the Word of God and as we study His word, "it will not return unto Him void but it will accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."

Peter tells us to keep away from the evil pleasures of this world for they fight against our very soul. This should be warning enough for us all. Our real home, our true loyalty is not the things of this earth that will be destroyed. It is to God's truth, his way of life, his perfect creation. We are citizens of the growing kingdom of Heaven that at Christ's Second Coming will last forever. We live in this world but we are not of this world. We have to live a life that is anchored in the word of God. This is serious, it is a matter of life and death. We can let this be a daily reminder if we are to live eternally. Let us watch how we walk among our unsaved neighbors in this world; which is not our home.

a) Peter emphasis the theme that this world is not our home. We are merely passing through. Our real home is Heaven and our ruler is God.

B) The fallen world order dictates self gratification and survival of the fittest. Taking care of oneself rank as top priority. This is contrary to what Jesus teaches and what the bible says.

c) Our Lord Jesus has set the standard for all of us to follow, in service, in respond and in speech. The principals are there the choice is ours. To please God or self we decide.

d) The suffering and test are all permitted in order to mould us, to refine us and to prepare us for eternity which the world cannot comprehend because it has no part in it.

What does Peter tell us to combat these lies?

In 1 Peter 1:13 he says to prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled...We are like lambs -- we may not be aware of our enemy. Jesus has revealed to us our common enemy. The adversary lures us with an alterior motive, to cripple us and bring us to its level. Remember the curse given to it was 'you will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust'. We must prepare our minds for action before we encounter this belly crawling, dust eating creature!! Often times we shut our eyes (powerful), we turn from evil and do good!! We simply say 'no' and we command it to STOP speaking to us with its' lies. Then we must 'set our hope fully on the grace to be given us when Jesus Christ is reveald.' Meanwhile, the Carpenter and living Stone is building us like living stones!! :)

(I am late getting this question answered. I got sidetracked yesterday reading the book of Jeremiah.)

1. Peter reminds us we are just passing thru' this world with all it's "trappings" and temptations. But, we are not to be lured by worldly possessions and ways.

2. We have a greater calling to follow in Jesus' footsteps . Looking unto Jesus.....

Hebrews 12:1-2. Amen!