JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Prayer in Jesus' Name

• In John 14: 12-14 Jesus says, "I tell you the truth, whoever believes in me will do the same things that I do.  Those who believe will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.  And if you ask for anything in my name, I will do it for you so that the Father's glory will be shown through the Son.  If you ask me for anything in my name, I will do it."

• I believe that we should seek the will of God when we pray and ask in Jesus name.  God's will is for His children to be whole and blessed.  I think when we ask for what we need in Jesus name we really get God's attention.

• Well, ask yourself, "Is what I am praying for in the will of God?"

I think the prayer is one of the most important thing in Christian life. I can choose!

to have more relationship with him or not. It's up to us. Whether We consider Jesus as truly friend or not. If we do. GO ahead 

Q3. What does it mean when you pray “in Jesus’ name”? Do you use the phrase “in Jesus’ name” as you pray? Why or why not? How does praying “in Jesus’ name” limit what we will pray for?

When we pray in Jesus name, as he commanded, we are using his authority in our request to God the Father. As he stated anything we ask in his name he will do it, of course I believe this is to be within his will.

I always close my prayers in the name of Jesus.

I use Jesus name because he said no one comes to the Father except through him and he promised to answer our prayers, though we don't always see immediate results and we do not ask for ridiculous stuff.

Praying in Jesus name should not limit what we pray for. I pray to God the Father all the time and close with "in Jesus name amen".   

Prayer in Jesus name signifies that He has given you authority to go to His father with your heart desires. The bible says except you believes in Jesus you cannot see God.

Yes. The phrase "in Jesus name" appears serverally in my prayers.

Because i believes He is the way , the tryth and the life.

Praying in Jesus name does limit our prayers per say but gives us only what is best for us from the will of God through Jesus as he knows our needs better than we do.

Praying in Jesus' Name for me is a privilege as His disciple to be able to use His authority and power to act on His behalf in the lives of others. Yes I use the phrase "In Jesus' name to exercise the authority He gives me. There are no limits when I pray in His name. JESUS promises in John 14:13-14 " And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." True believers pray in His will.

This is an important teaching. We say " in Jesus' name" at the end of our prayers because Jesus required us to do so, " Anything you ask in my name I will do that the Father may be glorified in the Son." John 14:14 In our church I think it is perceived as the "magic" phrase that makes the prayer acceptable. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

The words appeal to Jesus authority and imply we ask this in accordance with the will of the Father. If Jesus were praying, in the flesh, with us, he would have asked for the same thing. So we can " stamp the prayer with His approval" as we submit it to a God.

I will definitely revisit this for Bible study on Friday.

• 4 weeks later...

Praying in Jesus' name means that we pray in accordance to God's will.

I end my prayers with the phrase "in Jesus' Name" because I am asking God to answer my petitions according to His will.

Praying "in Jesus' name" limits what we pray for because, it prevents us from pressuring God into giving us what we selfishly desire.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Q3. What does it mean when you pray “in Jesus’ name”? Do you use the phrase “in Jesus’ name” as you pray? Why or why not? How does praying “in Jesus’ name” limit what we will pray for?

It means that I am praying in Jesus' authority and using His name to ask for things in His will. Yes I do. I do it because it is only that my prayers will be answered. For Jesus said, " I am the way,  the truth and the life. That means that He is all we need to get His Father and get our prayers answered. It limits it by causing us to pray us to pray for things that are only God's will.

Question Three

When you pray in Jesus name you are asking that His will be done. You are seeking to find out what He wants or desires you to do. You are not praying to fulfill your own desires or wishes. You are seeking to fulfill His wishes and to bring God’s kingdom here on earth. You are under Him so you must pray according to what is in His will not yours.

Yes, I do when I am praying to God about things I know He wants for me. I try to line up my prayer according to what His will is for me. I pray in Jesus name because Jesus is our mediator and advocate with the Father. It is what we have been taught to do.

When we pray in His name we are limited to pray for things that He prayed for and what things are listed in His Word. We are not to pray selfishly for worldly things; like to be wealthy, famous or well-known like others. We are to pray for forgiveness, salvation of others, unity in the church, sanctification of all believers and for everyone to be more like Him.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

To pray in Jesus' name is using His authority as His representative to declare His will for that situation.  It is declaring belief and faith as I use His name - being subjected to and dominated by His power.  The limitation is to be aligned with God's purpose and Word as I walk out my salvation.

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:10 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. What does it mean when you pray “in Jesus’ name”? That's when you pray as though you were a disciple of Jesus.

Do you use the phrase “in Jesus’ name” as you pray? Why or why not? No, I don't because I never want act as though I was representing someone else's will. 

How does praying “in Jesus’ name” limit what we will pray for? We can generally pray for things that Jesus would approve of.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:10 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. To pray in Jesus name is to pray with power and authority.  It is acknowledging what He accomplished on the cross at Calvary -  salvation, healing and deliverance. When we are praying according to His will (His Word is His Will), praying in His name and believing we receive what we asked for.   For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us. (2 Cor. 1:20)

b. Yes, because praying in His name gets the promise of all He has done and accomplished.  It won't happen in any other name. 

c. Praying in Jesus name limits what we will pray for because it is all according to His will, which is His Word and is  for good and not for evil purposes.  

• 1 year later...

When I pray in Jesus name that gives me the authority and right to get answers to my prayers according to God's will in his word and how he wants the situation answer. I don't have confidence without Jesus name.

Yes I always use Jesus name in prayer. I wouldn't feel that assurance if I didn't. 

Well when I pray I have to make sure what I am praying for is in line according to his word and then I have that confidence that I can come in Jesus name and receive an answer.God has been faithful to give me an answer. Especially concerning my own life and some things I have asked about other people in order to better understand some things or trying to help them. It might not come when I want it may take awhile on some things, it might come in an unexpected way but I get an answer. We just have to go by his Word and how The Holy Spirit leads us. Going by the Word and The Holy Spirit is the right way to get answers and using Jesus name.

• 1 year later...

Q3. What does it mean when you pray “in Jesus’ name”?

ANSWER: Praying in Jesus’ name means praying with His authority and asking God the Father to act upon our prayers because we come in the name of His Son, Jesus. Praying in Jesus’ name means the same thing as praying according to the will of God, This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have what we asked of Him. Praying in Jesus’ name is praying for things that will honor and glorify Jesus.

Saying “in Jesus’ name” at the end of a prayer is not a magic formula. If what we ask for or say in prayer is not for God’s glory and according to His will, saying “in Jesus’ name” is meaningless. Genuinely praying in Jesus’ name and for His glory is what is important, not attaching certain words to the end of a prayer. It is not the words in the prayer that matter, but the purpose behind the prayer. Praying for things that are in agreement with God’s will is the essence of praying in Jesus’ name. To pray in Jesus' name is to acknowledge that our access to God in prayer comes only through Jesus.

Do you use the phrase “in Jesus’ name” as you pray?

ANSWER: Yes, I use the phrase “in Jesus’ name” as I pray.

Why or why not … Do you use the phrase “in Jesus’ name” as you pray?

ANSWER: Why, I use the phrase “in Jesus’ name” as I pray: Because there is power in the name of Jesus when I link my faith with heaven. Praying in the name of Jesus is powerful because when I pray in His name, I am praying with His authority. 

God promises to answer whatever I ask in His name according to His will. This is why I must know the will of God in order to pray with the authority of Jesus. This truth is wonderful because I have the assurance that He hears my prayers. Through prayer in His name I shall make known to all what He has done. His name is a strong tower and a fortress that all the forces of darkness cannot withstand nor overcome. He can do anything! “The name of Jesus is the gateway through which true prayers must enter heaven. His name is the ‘pass key’ that opens heaven’s account.”

How does praying “in Jesus’ name” limit what we will pray for?

ANSWER: We can limit our prayers by only what we think is possible.  God is not limited by the impossible; it is only we who limit our prayers. No. Big issues/situations are nothing to a God Who is bigger, and the Creator is supreme ruler over His creation, so we shouldn’t ever limit our prayers by what seems impossible to us, for with God, nothing is impossible. He is a God Who has unlimited power.

God loves it when we trust Him to pray big prayers and not limit our prayers by what we think is possible. Jesus said that whatever we ask for in faith, we will receive, that is if it’s good for us and according to God’s will. God will never answer a prayer that is contrary to HIS will. The point is, when praying big prayers for what seems impossible, pray that it’s His will and that the name in which you pray, that is Jesus Christ, will be glorified by the answer because God is always interested in glorifying Jesus’ name. That’s a promise!