JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Self-perception vs God's perception

God saw him as being a mighty warrior and strong, while Gideon saw his family and himself as being very weak and he the weakest of the whole bunch. God looks at us through His eyes and He sees what He created the beginning and the end, we tend to see ourselves through our own eyes or what others have said to us or about us and are so quick to jude ouirselves by our standards not God's. We are very limited by our own eye sight but with God's eye sight there are no limits, we need to view the world and ourselves with the eyes of our Savior.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God said he would be with Gideon at all times and they would win the battle. We should know that God is also with us He said in several places He would be with us even to the ends. God said He will never leave nor forsake us, this means He will always be with us to me. Our prayer should be: God thank you for Your unfailing Word and promises thank your for your continued presence with me. Continued presence with me. May You help me to always realize that You will always be with me no matter what. God also help each of to see ourselves and what we can do to advance Your kingdom through Your eyes we would certainly have a different view. Amen

• 2 weeks later...

God saw Gideon has someone capable of helping his people, the Israelites and that was why He called him the mighty warrior.

But Gideon saw himself as someone who will not be able to deliver his people by saying 'how can I save Israel, my clan is the weakest in Manasseh and I am the least in my family. He limited himself.

God,s perception if most accurate.

Our own perception can prevent us from becoming what God intend us to be if we limit ourselves, forgetting that we can do all things through Christ who strenthens us.

Florence

I am late getting started in this study. Do hope there are others starting out as well.

Like Gideon, it is hard for us to accept the world of sin that we live in. We are at the depth of our souls sinful and the entire invirnment we live in is tainted with sin. It is where we live so are used to it.

Gideon did not want to accept his own guilt nor the guilt of his people. He blamed the situation on God. Easier that way. It is always easier to blame others than to accept the responsibility for our actions.

We must recognize the sin problem in the world and in our own lives and not blame God, He is not responsible, and be willing to accept the salvation He so freely offers.

Gideon looked at himself, a captive in his own land. He was hiding to threshing grain for something to eat. How was he brave or a warrior? He only saw himself and his situation through his own eyes.

God always sees things through His eyes. He knew what He could accomplish through Gideon if He was allowed to function.

We can only be "all that we can be" when we allow God to function through us. Look what was accomplished through Gideon by God. What a lesson for me, and for all of us to let go and let God handle our lives.

Thanks to all of you for the promises of God's help. Thought I would add Eph. 3:20. " God is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think." I am sure that Gideon had no idea what God had in store for him as he was hiding preparing food. God was in charge.

After Gideon got the message that he was really dealing with God, he was willing to do what God asked him to do. I am reminded of Thomas. He said he would not believe unless he saw with his own eyes. Jesus showed compassion on Thomas' doubts and came and let him see and touch. Jesus pronounced a special blessing on those who would believe and obey without seeing. In my personal life, I would like to among those who receive that blessing. By believing and trusting what God has said about Himself and His concern and help for me in my daily walk with Him. Bless all of you today, Joy

• 2 weeks later...

God saw Gideon as a mighty warrior because He God, knew He was with Gideon. But Gideon thought he was alone and without God and saw his people, Israel as the weakest and himself the least in his family.

God's perception is the most accurate. Our own self-perception can prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be, because our own strength, whether strong or weak is always ineffective. One gives a false sense of security and the other no sense of security at all. Our only hope is to put our trust In His Strength, In The Lord our God Who has promised to be with us.

It would seem God had waited for Gideon and his people to become weak in order to bless them. And then Gideon would know without any doubt that his strength came from God alone.

"For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,

that no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God . . . and righteousness and sanctification and redemption . . . that, as it is written. 'He who glories, let him Glory In The Lord.'

Concerning Gideon

1 Corinthians 1 : 16 - 31 "For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,

that no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God . . . and righteousness and santification and redemption . . . that, as it is written. 'He who glories, let him Glory In The Lord.'

God's answer to Gideon's self-image is "I Will Be With You." And, Yes, this spiritual principle does apply to our lives as Christians. For He has said, "I Will Never leave you Nor Forsake you." Hebrews 12: 5

Some other New Testament passages which also teach this same principle are Matthew 28: 5 "And Lo, I am With you Always, even to the end of the age." And 2 Corinthians 4: 9 "We are persecuted, but not forsaken."

In light of what God has shown me from Gideon, comes bubbling up like a crystal clear fountain and flowing from deep within my heart, this prayer.

Oh

What is man that You are mindful of him,

And the son of man that you visit him ?

Behold, The Lord and my God

You who bring good tidings,

Get up into the high mountain;

O Jerusalem,

You who bring good tidings,

Lift up your voice with strength,

Lift it up, be not afraid;

Say to the cities of Judah, "Behold your God!"

He gives power to the weak,

And to those who have no might

He increases strength.

Even the youths shall faint and be weary,

And the young men shall utterly fall,

But those who wait on The Lord (young men included !)

Shall renew their strength;

They shall mount up with wings like eagles,

They shall run and not be weary,

They shall walk and not faint.

Psalm 8: 4

Isaiah 40: 9, 29 to 31

Behold, The Lord and my God

Amen.

• 2 weeks later...

The Lord saw Gideon as a "mighty warrior" because He knew His plans for him. Gideon's vision was limited by his own flesh; therefore he saw only that he belonged to the 'weakest' clan and that he was the 'least' in his family. We often see through our own eyes and act on what we see. If we could get just a glimpse of what God sees, we would be more likely to act on faith and step out in the things God has for us.

I see myself as a wife, mother, and employee, often times struggling to make it through each day. God sees me as a blood-bought, spirit-filled child of the Most High who can do ALL things through Jesus Christ! There are times when I see through God's eyes and feel like I could conquer the world, but most often my own vision determines my direction and my victories.

Constantly soaking in the Word of God is the only way to change how we see ourselves. The more we meditate on God's view of us and what His Word declares us to be, the more we will be convinced and begin to walk in the identity of who we 'really' are.

"But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise, and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty." I Cor. 1:27

What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image? (6:16) Does this spiritual principle apply to our lives as Christians? Can you recall any New Testament passages that teach the same principle? What is an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage?

God's answer is the same yesterday, today, and forever ..."I will be with you." He promises thoughout the bible to be with us. His strength is made perfect in our weaknesses. II Cor. 12:9

Jesus said, "without me, ye can do nothing." John 15:5

Great and mighty God, Father of all the earth, creator and lover of my soul, Your Word says You are with me always, even unto the end of the world. Lord, may I see through Your eyes and completely embrace the divine purpose You have placed on my life that I may glorify You. Help thou mine unbelief, Lord that I may walk in all that You have called me to do. Let not my own vision or that of the enemy rob me of the highest honor in this life. May I seek Your precious face and accept Your perfect will, purpose, and plan for my life. Your Word says You will complete the good work You've begun in me and that if I abide in You and You in me, together we can do anything, for nothing is impossible with God. Let me look to You for all things for You are my source and my strength. May my steps be ordered by the Lord and my thoughts be established according to Your Word, that I may do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. May my life be a living sacrifice unto You, for You are alone are worthy, Lord. Amen

• 2 weeks later...

God saw Gideon as a Mighty Warrior, yet Gideon saw himself as weak without strength and strong faith, a member of the weakest clan of Manasseh and the least among his family. God's self-perception is most accurate as he made us and has a plan for each of us Our own self-perception can actually hinder God's plan for us and his work in us. lmc

God's answer to Gideon's self-image was God's promise of His presence: "I will be with you"...Yes, this spiritual principle does apply to our lives as Christians and provides us with such encouragement through the valleys of this life. There are many NT passages that teach this principle; however, one of the best, I believe, is Matthew 28:20...a promise of Christ's presence, just what the disciples needed.

afternoon prayer: " Have your own way, Lord. Have your own way. You are the potter; I am the clay. Mold me and make me after your will while I am waiting , yielded and still. lmc

God saw Gideon as a mighty warrior.

Gideon saw himself as the 'least'.

That is mainly because we focus on our flaws and shortcomings, and we cannot see God's glory, power and promises. Also, Gideon would have constantly seen Israel at the receiving end - of defeat! So he believed his eyes and not what he had heard of God's awesome power in delivering Israel from the Egyptians.

When God calls us to do something, we can get so overwhelmed at the job on hand and focus totally on our inadequacies, that we in effect are saying that God's promises do not hold true for us. He has promised me that He will never leave or forsake me, and I believe I can do all things through Christ - but since my eyes see differently, I tend to believe my physical eyes. I think that results us in not living life as God intended us to.

God promised Gideon 2 things - His presence and a mighty victory for Gideon. When the Lord calls us for His task, He will also equip, and more than that He will be with us. In Paul's weakness, he was told - My grace is sufficient for thee. That was the same Paul who said I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. The pot is not strong, but fragile. What the pot contains (the Holy Spirit) is the source of power.

Lord, be with me in all that I do. Give me a fresh in-filling of your Holy Spirit. Let me walk in obedience to Your voice along the paths You choose. May your name be glorified in me, in all my thoughts, words, deeds. Help me to remember at all times that you are with me and I can never fail when You are on my side. Amen.

The Lord saw him as a mighty warrior, and equipped with everything he would need to be victorious. Gideon saw himself as inadequate. As we face the challenges of our days, we need to remind ourselves that greater is he that in you than he that is in the world. "If God be for us who can be against us. "With God all things are possible."

We know that the Lord saw Gideon as a "mighty warrior" and whatever Gideon thought of himself, it certainly wasn't "mighty warrior". Perhaps he though of himself as "the little brother" or the "coward" or perhaps even "wise" [for threshing his wheat in the wine press]. The word doesn't say this (nor is it overly relevant), but perhaps Gideon always thought of himself as a failure or perhaps even a great success in his family. We don't know. But we do know that the Lord called him something that he didn't call himself.

This is pretty interesting. I wonder how many times we as Christians are called and we just shake it off: "no, that's just not me". We're invited to work in the nursury one day, but no, we're not a "baby-person". Or we're recommended to help out around the church with every day chores [church helps], but no, we're too clerical for that job. Or how about prayer intercessory? But no, I'm not still enough for that - i'm a do-er, not a talker. There are many diverse jobs in the church, and God, being a God of seasons, is pretty set on getting us to fulfill them. One may lead Youth one 'season' and be positioned in the back corners of the kitchen the next. Perhaps it happens the other way around, and we refuse to lead the youth because being 'only' a kitchen help, what do I know about leadership?

God knows. He challenges us to see the big picture. He challenges us to think outside of the box. He challenges us to quit being comfortable with our own means, as He did Gideon, and calls us as we really are. It's a little bit scary, perhaps humbling, but never a failure and never degrading. Gideon's name by God reminds us: He's God. Not us. How much do you really trust His call?

What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image? (6:16) Does this spiritual principle apply to our lives as Christians? Can you recall any New Testament passages that teach the same principle? What is an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage?

God's faithful promise to be with him. The song "Standing on the promises" shoulld be every Christian's theme song. Christ's promise-

"Lo, I am with you always. even unto the end of the earth." Matt. 28:20 A prayer that is appropriate is one in which we commit ourselves to the task, knowing that if God be for us, who can be against us.

How did God see Gideon? (6:12) How did Gideon see himself? (6:15). Whose self-perception is most accurate? How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be?

God knew what Gideon would do and he knew of course that all things are possible with our Lord. So when he called Gideon a Mighty Warrior he was describing him as he would be when standing by the Lord. Gideon felt weak and lowly, he feared the Midianites and felt helpless against them until the Lord said He would be with him and gave him the sign of fire.

Few of us actually have the Lord sit down by us and tell us in person that He will be with us. We might know what God wants us to do, but feel unsure of it or unsure of our ability to do it. It seems like such a large undertaking how can one weak untalented person carry it out. :)

#4. What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image? (6:16) Does this spiritual principle apply to our lives as Christians? Can you recall any New Testament passages that teach the same principle? What is an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage?

He told Gideon that He would be by his side. That principle definately applies to our lives as Christians. When God is with us who can stand against us. Jesus tells us often that He is with us in different ways. i can't think of a specific verse, but there were many ways and times that He showed his presence. He has showed me his presence in many ways as well.

Father, we are just weak and lowly humans, without you we can do nothing of note but with you we can move mountains. Stand beside us O Lord in all we do, guiding us and strengthening us to do your will every moment of the day in the holy name of Jesus we pray. Amen :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Gideon saw himself as the "weakest link" which is a great position to be in to be useful to God. There would be no danger of Gideon taking credit for what God was going to do. "As a man thinks...so is he" and he acts according to what he percieves himself to be. Since I am a child of the King of everything, I am a "princess". I can trust that God can use my shortcomings more easily for Himself than things I know I can do.

LESSON: Don't limit my future with God by my past without HIm.

God saw Gideon as a man who could do all things through his power. God said in his Word that he created us to do a good work. When we do not have a true identity of who we are, we leave ourselves open to believe anything other than what God says about us. Gideon saw hinself as a weak man but had enough faith to believe that he could do all things. I wonder if Gideon was looking and hoping that another man would come along side him who believed in him and his potential. Then came the angle of the Lord! B)

God's answer for Gideon is to focus on him. God said he would be with him. However, what I find important is that Gideon knew what God had done in the past with his ancestors. This gave Gideon something to build on and at the same time gave God something to work with.

This spiritual principle applies to us today because as we recall what God has done for us in the past, this allows the Holy Spirit to use that to strenghten us when we have forgotten and have lost our faith in God and our selves or just plainly lost our way.

• 3 weeks later...

God szw Gidon as a mighty warrior whilst Gideon saw himself as the least in the weakest clan of Manasseh. Gidon was right in seeing himself as he was without God but God was right in seeing Gideon as he was with God. Without God I can do nothing but I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. (Php 4:13. A.V.) Peter walked on the sea when he kept his eyes on Jesus, but when he took his eyes away from Jesus and looked at the waves he began to sink.

God responds to Gideon's self image by showing him that as God is with him, he would have power to strike down all the Mideanites,but also, in verse 14 God reminded Gideon that he was on the Lord's business. Yes, this same principle applies to us in our lives and service. A good example is in Matthew 8 where the centurion understand what it means to be "under authority" as Jesus was, and as we are when we are doing the Lord's work and serving Him with our lives. Also Paul was conscious of this as in 2 Cor.12:9 "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ