JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Self-perception vs God's perception

Q3. (Judges 6:12-16) How did God see Gideon? How did Gideon see himself? Whose self-perception is most accurate? How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be? What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image? What might be an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage?

God sees Gideon as a mighty warrior with great strength.

Gideon sees himself as a weak member of his tribe.

God sees us the way he made us.

Our own minds deceive us into thinking we are less than we truely are.

God tells us in His word that he is always with us and will provide additional strength when needed.

Lord, thank you for given me strength when I feel unable. Thank you for making me who I am, a mighty warrior in Christ.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Judges 6:12-16) How did God see Gideon? How did Gideon see himself? Whose self-perception is most accurate? How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be? What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image? What might be an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage?

God saw Gideon as being strong and a mighty warrior. Gideon saw himself as nothing of any consequence.

God's perception was the most accurate because God knows the strength and the battle are His. Many times I have thought or known that the forces arrayed against me are too much for me but that is not focusing on the Lord but myself.

God assures Gideon that God will be with him. (If God be for us who can be against us).

Lord help me always to see things in your perspective because you are my strength and my shield, my fortress and strong tower. Amen

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• 3 months later...

1. God see Gideon as a strong man.

2. Gideon sees himself as weak.

3. God's preception

4. We must have faith that as long as God is with us, we are made strong through Him.

5. God told Gideon that He was with him and do go forth.

6. Praying no matter what He would have us do, He would strengthen us. Praying that He would always be with us and take us through.

God saw Gideon as a mighty warrior

Gideon saw himself as being not worthy, coming from a small tribe and being the least in the family. He saw all his weaknesses.

God's perception is most accurate.

We dont see ourselves through the eyes of Jesus, we just see our own imperfections.

God told Gideon that He would be with him and therefore Gideon would be victorious.

My prayer should be "God help me to see myself as you see me, and not look at my weaknesses. Help me to fully grasp when you promise in your Word that Greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world".

• 5 months later...

Q3. (Judges 6:12-16) How did God see Gideon?

God saw Gideon as a mighty man of fearless courage...of valor, because "The Lord is with you"....He saw him as he was going to be with God's help and courage.

How did Gideon see himself?

As a blameless victim, terrified and cowering in the winepress from the Midianites.

Whose self-perception is most accurate?

God is always accurate, because He's in the future and sees how we will be.

How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be?

We limit God by seeing only our fleshly capacity. He sees us fulfilling our destiny empowered by His Holy Spirit.

What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image?

He told Gideon I have sent you to save Israel..."go in this your might." (not in your own strength but Mine)

What might be an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage?

Lord I'm like Gideon when I see my flaws and limits, but You have called me to serve You in the power of Your might. I ask You to renew my mind so that I see myself as You see me, for You have promised to "complete the work in me" and to conform me to Your image. Forgive me when I doubt Your power and might on my behalf! Help me to have more awareness of your constant presence in my life....and that "I can do ALL things through Christ Who strengthens me".

• 3 months later...

As a mighty man of God, Gideon saw himself as the least(weak). God perception in the correct one,It's about God and his ability, not mine. Failure to act when called because of how we feel about ourselves instead of who we are in Christ. It is so important to know the word of God so we see ourselves through Him.

Help me Lord to see myself through your eyes, and trust that you have everything under control . I can trust that you all with me as your word says . I know Lord when you call me that you will provide all that is needed for me to complete the task. In Jesus name I pray

• 4 months later...

As a mighty warrior. The least in his family. God's.It can paralyze us. I will be with you. "Lord help me to trust You and see myself as you see me."

• 1 month later...

God saw giedon as a mighty warrior. Yet, gideon saw himself as least of the least.

However, when we see ourselves through God's loving eyes and in the reflection of the mirror of God's Word...we are more the conquers in Christ Jesus, we are Ambassadors of the Kingdom of Heaven. Still, we are Kings and Priests!

It is my humble opinion that low self-esteem is on the verge of hurting the very heart of God. We were created in the image of God. The word states, "Let Us create man in OUR image..." That is to say we are created in the image of the Father, the of Son and the of Holy Spirit. Low self-esteem can open the door to a world filled with depression, self-hate, and all manner of insecurities. I'm sorry, this is not the heart of God!

The LORD answered, 'I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites together.'"

Oh Daddy, forgive me for doubting Your plan for my life. You have stamped YOUR image on my heart and have sealed it with Your promised Holy Spirit! You have given me all the strength that is Christ Jesus, i implore You now to give me the wisdom and the tanacity to act upon that which you have given me. So Be It!

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Judges 6:12-16)

How did God see Gideon?

As a mighty warrior

Gideon definitely did not see himself as a mighty warrior; he mentions that he is the youngest in his family and therefore the least respected. He also says that his family is a insignificant one in Manasseh. We also see Gideon was not a person of great faith.

God. God knows Gideon

• 1 year later...

Gideon saw himself as very weak and of little use. But God saw him as a mighty warrior. It's amazing what we can become if we would only allow ourselves to see us through His eyes. Once he got his eyes off of himself, and focused on God, he was encouraged enough to believe he could do whatever God chose him to do, for it would only be in God's strength that victory would come.

Lord, I know that I am nothing in myself. Please fill me with your Holy Spirit and lead and guide me in what You would have me to do. I offer myself to You to be a vessel of honor, knowing that only as you enable and equip me can I be what You have called me to be. In Jesus' name. Amen.

• 2 months later...

God saw Gideon as a warrior but Gideon saw himself as a least in a clan. The self-perception that is most accurate is that of God’s. And the way that our own self-perception prevents us from becoming what God has made us to be is that we will also hold back if we don’t think that we can do the job.

God’s answer to Gideon’s self-image is that he isn’t depending on him to the job we are to depend on God to support us in doing what He wants us to do.

An appropriate prayer to pray is light of what God has taught me today in this passage would to for me to turn-off myself image and start relying on Him.

• 2 weeks later...

3a)As a strong mighty warrior.

B)G see’s himself as the weakest.

C)God’s- knew him better than he knew himself.

d)We can allow our feelings,to misdirect us.In Christ we are complete,and he gives us the strength,boldness to do things that seem impossible without Him.

E)God’s answer is to say he will be with Gideon&he will enable him to defeat all Midianites togther,seemingly impossible. F)help me Lord to not limit me to a poor-self image,but to trust,step out in faith knowing you are with me,with you power &help at all time. Mark 9:23 Jesus said to him, If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes Philippians 4: 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. John 14: 25 I have said these things to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Advocate,i the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you.

3a)As a mighty warrior.

B)The weakest of the clan

. C)God’s

d)Our limited self-perception can bring fears/unnecessary limitations of what we are able to do,focusing on self not God.

E)Reminds Gideon God will be with him&will enable him to do mighty task.

F)Helps me Lord to trust in God’s promises that he will protect,strengthen me & through HS enable me to discern wisdom and to step out in faith &trusting Him. Mark 9:23 Jesus said to him, If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.Philippians 4: 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

1,  How did God see Gideon? How did Gideon see himself? Whose self-perception is most accurate?

God sees Gideon as a mighty warrior while on the other hand Gideon sees himself as a weak person and to quote he said "my clan is the weakest in Manasseh and I am the least in my family". God perception of Gideon's strength is the mot accurate. he is the one who created us so He know what we are capable of doing.

2.How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be?

It hinders us to do things that we are intended to do...Just for example, in serving the Lord through the Music Ministry. Go called us for this ministry yet we refused because we view ourselves like " I don't have talent in singing", "I don't have a good voice", I can't play any musical instruments".

3. What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image?

God answers Gideon indirectly by saying that "I know that you are capable of doing this. Why should I be sending you if you can't?" God lso said that He will be with Gideon.

4. What might be an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage?

Father God we praise and we worship you. We we're created perfectly in your own image and likeness. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. Help us Lord, to look at ourselves the way you look at us. Help us to see beyond our human eyes can see - that we are capable of doing great and mighty things through you. Let not our own self-perception hinders us to do things that we ought to do. You said in your word that "We can do all things through Christ who give us strength". We claim that promise...in Jesus Name we pray..AMEN

• 1 year later...

God saw him as a mighty man of valor- Gideon saw himself as weak and not able. Gods assessment was more accurate. As Gideon's life unfolds he steps into his God-given destiny. The key phrase is "I will be with you"- we must acknowledge that we only overcome because of the grace and favor of God.

• 2 years later...

God ignored what Gideon says about himself  and responds with how He sees Gideon.  God sees and knows what we lack and as we obey He supplies what we need.  We have to view ourselves in light of what God says about us in His Word or what He says to us directly.  Our prayer should be "teach me, God, to see myself as you see me.  Cleanse me of unbelief, doubt, and fear when you speak into my life and replace the negative thoughts with belief, faith, and assuredness.  Your validation is the most important and the one that counts.  Allow your validation of me to rank supremely in every area of my life".  

• 10 months later...

Q3. (Judges 6:12-16) How did God see Gideon? He saw him as a mighty warrior.

How did Gideon see himself? He saw himself as scared and a nobody, and felt overwhelmed.

Whose self-perception is most accurate? We need to see ourselves the way God sees us, as overcomers who He can use.

How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be? When we identify ourselves with our sins and shortcomings, we feel unworthy and worthless. 

What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image? He promised to be with Gideon as he stepped into his new identity. He gave him a mission and a purpose.

What might be an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage? Lord, I often see myself as weak and unable to do ministry because of where I have failed and still fail. Help me to see myself as capable of serving You and as a vessel for Your use, and help me stick close to you so You can do this work in me.

• 1 year later...

Q. How did God see Gideon? How did Gideon see himself?

A. God saw Gideon as a mighty warrior while Gideon saw himself as the smallest in his family whose clan is the  weakest.

Q.Whose self-perception is most accurate? How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be?

A. God's perception about us is always the most accurate. As in the case of the ten out of the twelve spies that went to spy the promised land, they saw themselves like grasshoppers that would  be trampled by the giants they saw and were thus  not among those who God used to to take over the promised land- only Caleb and Joshua who saw the same giants but saw God helping them to overcome the giants. And He did.

Q. What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image?

A. God promised to be with him and to empower him to defeat the midianites

A. What might be an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage?

A. Lord God, help me to see myself the way you see me, able to conquer my challenges/ enemies in Jesus Name.

Please refer to previous post. As a third post of this study on Gideon, think either the second or this third was not rewarded the usual one point mark/ count. Please check and correct. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/10/2003 at 3:34 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God saw Gideon as a mighty warrior able to complete all that God asked Him to do.

As the least person in all of Israel.

God's perception is most accurate.

We refuse to do what God asks us to do because it doesn't line up with what we think we can or should do.

He reminds Gideon that He will be with him. So, really it is up to God to accomplish all that is needed, not Gideon's strength.

God, I pray that I will be faithful to obey you.  I pray that you'll give me faith to see myself as God does and trust in and experience God's nearness to me, and that you'll accomplish all you want to through me.

• 9 months later...

God saw Gideon as a valiant mighty one. However Gideon viewed himself as a deserted one in the midst of trials.  Gideon had a false view of himself, a limited view one indeed.   God's view of Gideon was far more accurate.  God knew the true depth of his character.   I think of my favorite ProphetEzekiel !   God knew that he was just the right man to bring forth prophecy in a pagan land.  Prophet Ezekiel experienced the death of his wife; he still preached the Word of God.  Gideon was strengthen by God as he commenced his mission. 

God had reassure Gideon that he could end this subjection by the Midianites.  God reassured Gideon twice that he could to it.  His consciousness of himself was enlarged. Likewise our self perception of ourselves need to be changed..I admire Ezra and Zerubabbel !  Yes ! Prophet Zechariah also.  They knew about past tragedies and terrible state of disrepair of Jerusalem; their eyes were on God--Yahweh Shalom--our present source of help.  They could not dwell on the past and ruined walls of Jerusalem

Holy Spirit my Advocate-I am destitute-you are here on earth- please visit me today.  As I study the Holy Bible, lead me into all truth.  

• 1 year later...

God told Gideon, "Go in the strength you have ..."

God didn't say, "Go in my strength ..."

When Gideon worried he wasn't up to the task, God promised that He'd be with him. He didn't promise to give Gideon strength, though this probably happened, but to accompany Gideon.

God reiterated to Gideon that He Himself was sending him. Undergirding this statement is the idea is that God wouldn't send Gideon to an unsuccessful end. He wasn't sending Gideon to his death.

--

I'm amazed at this. The self-image aspect of your question has to do with how God saw Gideon's strength which Gideon did not see, "Go in the strength you have..." God was telling Gideon that he was strong enough to do save Israel out of Midian's hand.

My prayer: "Lord, I have felt you telling me to go to  _____, and so plan to go in the strength that I have as long as you remain with me and help me strike down the evil I will surely encounter there. Be with me, Lord. Stay close. Increase my strength when needed. Surround me with your angels. Let this be successful. Amen."

• 9 months later...

How did God see Gideon?

How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be?

What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image?

What might be an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage?

God saw the Gideon that could be, (a  mighty warrior) not the Gideon that was there now. Now he was brave, in that he was threshing the wheat.  A coward in that he was doing it at the bottom of the hill and not on top of the hill, which was the appropriate place.  

Gideon, at this time and place had an inferiority complex, and was very skeptical.  He saw himself belonging to the poorest family in Manasseh, and also as being the least in his father's house.

God's is accurate because He sees far deeper than what we do.  ( When we perceive that we are nothing then He can use us without us opposing Him because we think we know better. )

If we rely on what we see and feel we will never get started on anything.  We will never take that step in faith.

Go in this thy might   .  .  .  have I not sent thee.

Gideon's strength was that God had sent him.  

Lord whatever and wherever You send me, may I be aware that I am able because Thou hast sent me. Without Thee I can do nothing. In and with Thee I am able. In Jesus Name I pray.  Amen

1 Cor 1:28 & 29   .  .  .  things that are despised, God has chosen .  .  .