JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Self-perception vs God's perception

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, God say Gideon as a might man of valor. A warrior. Clear. But I have been sitting here thinking about perons in the Bible who have been instruments of God's plan. Harlots. Shepards. How about Mary? It is not just enough to say that God has great plans for us and that he sees us differently. HE WANTS TO USE ALL OF US AS INSTRUMENTS OF HIS GOOD AND PERFECT WILL.

I also think it is odd/funny that Gideon actually "tested" God. Three times in these chapters (I think it is three) he "tests" God to make sure he is not being duped. God shows patience with Gideon. I can almost see God smiling. This is an interesting contrast to Zechariah's question to the angel Gabriel in Luke 1:19 when Zechariah loses his voice for questioning Gabriel.

Oh boy do we have a patient God!!

It is a comfort and relief to know that our all-powerful God is in charge. Even when we fail or when we are weak or when we let our insecurities get in the way, God is in charge. He is so powerful that we can't get in the way of His will--and it is a great relief to know that!

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us," 2 Corinthians 4:7

This isn't from the New Testament, but I'm thinking about it in relation to Judges 6:13: "Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Soveriegn Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, He enables me to go on the heights." Habakkuk 3:17-19

God's answer to Gideon is that He will be with Gideon. In our world, we often think we need to "find" God. We don't; He is always there (Matthew 28:20).

Heavenly Father: Thank You for always being with us! Thank You that no matter how often we may fail, You are always with us, You always love us and You still want to use to accomplish Your will. Help us to trust in You and grant us peace in the knowledge that You are in charge, not us. In Jesus' name, Amen.

The way we see ourselves can be influenced by many variables. It can be affected by the way other people see and treat us, our achievements or lack of it, even physical deformities can affect the way we view ouselves as a whole. This, plus the devil's influence (for he will capitalize on whatever advantage he can get to bring us down), can greatly diminish our self esteem.

This, I think, is one of the main reasons why Gideon - and the rest of us - have trouble looking at ourselves the way God sees us. Which is probably why Gideon's self perception and God's opinion regarding Gideon were almost opposites. Gideon saw himself as a weak, useless and insignificant man. God, on the other hand, saw him and used him as a mighty warrior and an ambassador that He will use to show His might and power both to His people and to the Midianites.

God assured Gideon that He would be with him and would demonstrate His power

through Gideon in defeating the Midianites.

This spiritual principle (principles always being true and eternal) indeed applies

to us as Christians.

I, too, thought of the NT passages Philippians 4:13, and especially Matthew 28:19--

"And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.

God saw Gideon as a mighty warrior. Gideon saw himself as a wimp.

We do tend to limit our actions because our own self perception but we also tend to discount God's power. We forget when He gives us a mission, He also gives us the capability to carry it out.

susan

3. How did God see Gideon? (6:12) How did Gideon see himself? (6:15). Whose self-perception is most accurate? How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be?

God saw Gideon as man of valor and Gideon felt he was too weak. God's perception of Gideon is most accurate because God is NEVER wrong. Our own self-perception can prevent us from becoming what God made us to be my not trusting in God and leaving everything in His hands.

In Christ Jesus, :rolleyes:

John

God saw Gideon as a "mighty warrior."

Gideon saw himself as the weakest member of the weakest family in the weakest tribe of Israel..

In human terms Gideon was right but by faith God was right.

Our perceptions of ourselves can make us hopeless. That nothing, that we will never change.

Glenn

I do feel that Gideon had low self esteem, and apparently was somewhat depressed about the conditions of his people. Which is where we all could be if we let ourselves. We must be careful not to allow our low self esteem to keep us from doing what God calls us to do. If God speaks to us to do something, I do think that a lot of times we lose sight of the fact that if He has called us, He will equip us.

God saw Gideon as a mighty warrior. Gideon saw himself as least in his family. God's self-perception of Gideon was most accurate because if God is with us we WILL be victorious. Our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be because we rely and trust on our own strength. We should have faith and trust in God who is our TRUE strength.

God saw Gideon as a mighty warrior, and according to the angel, God was with Gideon. But Gideon did not believe what the angel said because he saw his clan as the weakest in Manasseh and himself as the least , the weakest or the most incapable person in his family.

When Peter took his eyes off Jesus and began to look at himself and his circumstances, he began to sink, whereas he had been walking on water.

It is easy for us to take our eyes off the one who calls us and equips us for His service and see only our weaknesses rather than His strengths that make us what He wants us to be. If we can just remember to "Trust int he Lord" "Delight Ourselves in Him" and "commit our way to Him," we will realize that we can and will be the persons God created us to be fit for the tasks He lays before us.

The Lord told Gideon "I will be with you and you will strike down all the Midianites."

Yes, in the Great Commission in Matthew 28:19-20, Jesus gives the promise, "Lo, I am with you until the end of the age."

New Testament passages which teach the same principle are:

"Everything is possible to Him who believes." Mark 9:23

"Your Father knows what you need before you ask Him." Matt. 6:8

"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom." Luke 12:32

"Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." Heb. 13:5

"The Lord is my helper. I shall not be afraid." Heb. 13:6

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." I Peter 5:7

"And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19

Prayer: I thank you Lord, that you will fulfill your purpose for me because your love, O Lord, endures forever - I thank you that you will not abandon the works of your hands. Psalm 138:8.

3. God saw Gideon as a mighty warrior. Gideon saw himself as the least in his family and his clan as the weakest in Manasseh.

God's self-perception was most accurate.

When Gideon made an offering to God by preparing a young goat and unleavened bread - he was surprised and frightened when it was consumed by fire. Maybe this helped Gideon to realize that this was God and that He was with him and gave him the strength he needed.

God asks us to do things sometimes and it's not as big as fighting a battle - but we don't have the faith in ourselves that we should. We feel that we are too weak to do what God wants us to do (just like Gideon). :unsure:

To me, this is not saying that God saw beyond Gideon's weakness, but that God saw beyond Gideon. We so often fail to see beyond ourselves, but God always sees what we can be in unity with Him.

Not only does God see beyond the weakness I see in myself. God sees beyond my inflated self-assessment of my abilities too. He sees beyond all my insecurity and self-sufficiency.

We don't need self-confidence, we just need God-confidence, because there is no other power source.

Main message is: I am with you said the Lord, and when he Lord is with us we are migty

Gideon seen himself like weak and poor and can do nothting for the Lord and it is thrue.

I can not do nothting for my God in my sthrength,but when I see that God is with me,I am

migthy warrior

(Sorry if there is something whrong, I am Norwegian and english is not my language)

God's promise was to be with Gideon and that the work would be done together. When I taught in a Christian school our students soon stopped saying "can't" because they would hear a chorus of "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me!" If we remember this promise we will be able to accomplish many things. I pray often that I will be reminded of the source of allmy powers and abilities and that this source is always available.

God saw Gideon for what he was: a mighty man who was courageous. God always sees what He created in us, even if we refuse to recognize it, as Gideon did.

When we don't fully see what God has given us to use to serve Him, we limit ourselves to lives of, at best, pew-sitting; and, at worst, unsaved and wretched in our sins.

"I will be with you." What more do you need than that! :D When we Christians wake up and realize that God IS with us, than who can be against us? We may face much opposition and lose battles, but God Will Win The War!!!

Eph. 2:10 "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

Lord, help me realize my failings. Open my eyes to what You would have me do. Make Your will known to me, Father, so that I might serve You. Strengthen me with You love, Lord, and let me do mighty things in Jesus' name! Amen!

What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image?

God says that He will be with Gideon and that they will work together to strike down the Midianites.

Does this spiritual principle apply to our lives as Christians?

Yes.

Can you recall any New Testament passages that teach the same principle?

Matthew 18:20

20 For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

(from New International Version)

John 14:15-21

15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever- 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

Matthew 19:26

26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Mark 9:23

23 "'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."

Mark 10:27

27 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."

Luke 18:27

27 Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God."

What is an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage?

Oh Lord, I praise you for your awesome power. Thank you for seeing me better than I see myself. Help me to have the wisdom to better understand how you see me and to have the strength to step out in faith to do your work, knowing that you will work through me to accomplish your will. All praise and glory to you Lord. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Question 4:God's answer to Gideon's self-image was to confirm to him that He (God) would always be with him and stated that the Midianites would be struck down.

Yes I do feel that the same spiritual principal does apply today in our Christian life. We all have to learn never to forget that God will always be there for us no matter what but most importantly we have to put our complete faith and trust in His capabilities in our lives and truly believe what God can do for us. As the well known song goes "It is no secret what God can do", there are no limits above which God can help us as He is the Almighty God and nothing is beyond His reach.

Dear Lord,

We ask that you will eliminate any doubt that we may have in our life of what you can do and that your Holy Spirit will teach and guide us to surrender our all to you and also help us to listen to what you have to say to us and to obey your will without any doubt. We ask for your strength to be able to carry out your will and to do this without question knowing that YOU WILL BE WITH US ALL THE TIME.

We ask this in Jesus's name

Amen

What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image? (6:16) Does this spiritual principle apply to our lives as Christians? Can you recall any New Testament passages that teach the same principle? What is an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage?

Gods answer toGigeons self-image was telling him,Go in the strength you have.I would say this is building up his self- image,letting Gideon know he does have strength,then God tells Gideon,"I will be with you",Gideons strength is not in himself,but in God who has promised to be with him.This same principle we should apply to our lives:Matt:19:26,All things are possible in God. Mark 9:23,All things are possible to him who believes.Matt:28:20,Go therefore and make desciples of all the nations,baptizing them in the name of the Father,and of the Son,and of the Holy Spirit,20:teaching them to observe all things,that I have commanded you;and lo,I am with you always,even to the end of age Amem.

Prayer>Heavenly Father,I give you thanks and praise for everything you do for us.You are my refuge and my strength,a very present help in trouble.I humbly ask of you in Jesus name,help me Lord that I may learn to trust you with everthing in my life,and to not fear whatever is before me,knowing you are with me always.AMEN

Hi There,

God is telling Gideon to stop being so inward looking but to look outwards towards God.

To put his faith in God not himself. Faith is the core of the Christians life and being.

It is when we lose faith that things start to go wrong in our lives as Christians.

The scripture that immediately came to mind this evening as I was thinking about this

passage was Heb.11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of want we do not see.

My prayer is: Lord help me to realize that in my own strength I can do nothing but by puting my faith in You alone I can accomplish anything.

God Bless,

In Christ.

Glynis