JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Self-perception vs God's perception

God assures Gideon that He will be with him and that he (Gideon) will kill the Midianites as one man. Yes, we all have many times in our lives when we feel weak or incapable of handling a situation. Phil. 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. Rom. 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us. Jhn 15:5 I am the vine, you are the branches: he that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Lord,

I am nothing without You. You know I have to depend solely upon You for any and all my needs to be met and for any and all of my situations to be handled correctly and resolvedly. I ask that You help me to fully believe this. I also ask for the courage and strength to act on this. Amen

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am simply not convinced Gideon had a low self image. He may have had a lack of trust in what can be accomlished with the God of the universe on his team but, I cannot see where he had a low self image compared to his peers (which is how I take the context of the question and discussion).

Yes indeed, we constantly fail to remember that "for nothing is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37) adn I think this is the key. Along our path with him, we reinforces this. As we shall see in a few passages, God forces Gideon to cut his forces so that he cannot take credit. This also reinforces with me that God is the only guy you need on your team.

Heavenly father, you are the potter and I am the clay; the creater of the universe; the author and finisher of life. To you oh lord I lift up my soul; in you I trust oh my God. Fill my faith cup to the brim so that I may never doubt that you or your plans for me. My life is yours.

Gideon sees himself as weak and unable to stand against anyone. God tells Gideon he is strong because God is with him. It is God's strength in Gideon that will deliver the people. God's strength will be enough.

God has told us that his strength will be enough (or his grace will be enough). We cannot do all things on our own but, through God, all things are possible.

I think the Lord's Prayer is a good prayer to go with this principle. God's will be done.

God told him, He would be with him (Gideon). Isn't that just like God to be there with us, no matter what we're going through? :D This principle MOST DEFINITELY applies to our lives. If we don't believe God is with/for us, we'll operate in UNBELIEF in almost every area of our lives. Without FAITH, IT'S impossible to please God. Jesus, said in Matt 28:20 -- and lo, I am with you all ways, even until the end of the world.

An appropriate prayer would be, "Lord thanks for the reassurance of your presence at ALL TIMES. Help to remember that in each of these times, you will equip us with all that we need to accomplish Your purpose in the earth. In Jesus' Name., Amen"

God assured Gideon that He will always be there for him and with him. It is an assureance that has never changed even until now. Matthew 28:19 and Philippians 4:13 gives us the same assurance that God has given Gideon. And by this promise, we should rest assured in God's love for "if God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? (Romans 8:31-32)

But then again, since God gave us that promise, satan will do his best to destroy and corrupt our self image so that we will doubt God. To counter this, we should always pray for God to give us the strength to resist satan and his minions and for God to protect us from all kinds of temptations.

God's answer to Gideon's self-image is His answer to each of us: HE IS WITH US...it has nothing to do with who we are...If HE is with us, then we can do all things. It certainly does apply to our lives a Christians. None of us are good enough or equipped well enough..only if HE is with us. Philipians 4:13 says, I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me!

Prayer:

God help me to know that I can do nothing in my own strength but I can do all things thru You!

God promises Gideon that He will be with him. He promises this to all of us who take Him at His word, such as Paul's assertion in Phillipians: I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me. God does not ask us to go alone--He not only goes with us, He enables us to do what He asks us to do.

Lord, strengthen me and stretch me to be endowed with the courage and ability to do Your will in my life. I praise You for You are faithful and answer when we call to You for Your Presence and ability to work through me. Oh Lord! You are glorious! Amen.

:wub:

I will be with you. We can have low self image and the same principle apply to our lives as christian today.

New Testament Passage: "I will never leave nor forsake you."This is a comfort to know God is always there to strenghten us.

Prayer: Lord I will trust aand depend on you for my strtength and be obedient to your word. You are my strength and refuge, my very present help in trouble.

God tells Gideon that He will be with him, and that, together, they will win the battle.

Given the fear of failure that our society drives into us, and a history of others having failed at the same task, and other consequences of failure... Wow, that is alot of heavy things weighing us down. But when it is God's Will to be done... It WILL be done.

I have feared many steps in my life, yet here I am. And with each step, my faith has grown. I praise God for bringing me thus far. It is He who has carried me much of the way. I pray that He will continue to strengthen me and use me for His Will. I pray that I will hear Him and follow Him always. :huh::huh: God Is SO GOOD!!! :P

God saw Gideon as his mighty warrior; the person God was going to enable him to be. Gideon, on the other hand, saw himself as inferior. God's perception of course is the accurate one because He is always right!

Our own self-perception can hinder what God wants to do with us because we refuse to see ourselves as He does. Sometimes we are fearful and do not see our potential in Christ. We do not see the Greater One who lives in us.

Luminosa

God saw Gideon as a mighty warrior, the person God was going to enable him to be. Gideon, on the other hand, saw himself as inferior. God's perception is of course the accurate one because He is always right!

Our self-perception can hinder what God wants to do in us because we fail to see ourselves the way God sees us. Sometimes we are fearful and we don't see the Greater One who lives in us.

Luminosa

4. God told Gideon that He would surely be with him and

that they would strike down the Midianites together.

Yes, this applies to our lives as christians. We only need

to trust God that He will be with us in all that we do. He

cares about us and wants to help us. All we have to do

is ask.

Phillippians 4:13 is a NT passage that teaches the same

principles.

My prayer: Heavenly Father show me what you want

me to do and give me the strength to do this. :wub:

:) > The LORD assured Gideon that he could defeat the Medianites because He would be with him.

> Yes.

> "What is impossible with men is possible with God." (Luke 18:27)

> "Our Father in Heaven, remove any doubts in our hearts and when we are discouraged give us strength. Teach us to trust in you always. In Jesus name. Amen."

What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image? (6:16) Does this spiritual principle apply to our lives as Christians? Can you recall any New Testament passages that teach the same principle? What is an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage

God is telling Gideon I AM HERE WITHIN YOU and with me YOU CAN DO IT !

Oh yes this applies today as well sometimes I dont think I would have the strenth to walk out the door to do anything if I didnt have God within me With out him I could do nothing.

John15:4-5

4 Abide in me,and I in you As a branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine;no more can ye ,except abide in the vine

5 I am the vine,ye are the branches:He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much frut:for without me ye can do nothing.

My Heavenly Father,

Thank you for the carring you do of me and for allowing me to experiance the vallies for they are nothing but reminders that all I have to do is look up to you and you will take all my worries and fears and give me the strengh to accept anything that this world hands out because with you I can do anything, without you Im lost I give you all the Glory Lord

amen

God's answer to Gideon and to us is "I will be with you"

God is faithful, He will never leave us nor forsake us. With Him we can do all things. "It's not by might, it's not by power but by My Spirit " says the Lord.

When God sends, God empowers.

Father,

Help me to be the person you have created me to be, help me to recognise Your ways, and Your will is what is best also for me and will bring glory to You.

God told Gideon that "I will be with you and you will strike down all the Midianites together.. Yes, it is with us, because God is with us in whatever we do and as long as we have God in our hearts and life, we can do anything.

I can do all things with Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Dear Lord

I can do anything as long as you are with me. Thank you so much for giving me the strength to do all things. In your precious loving and holy name. amen

God taught me even when things are rough he is right beside us to carry us threw and he gives us strength to get through even the hard and the rough things and to overcome obsticles in our lives.

Praise God from whom all Blessings Flow. :lol:

God promised Gideon, "I will be with you!"

This spiritual principle applies to me - even when sometimes it does not feel like it!

I would like to add these two Scriptures to the ones already quoted by others -

John 14:16 - "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever."

Revelation 21:3 - "Now the dwelling of God is with man, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God."

What promises!

Abba, Help me always to remember that you are with me, no matter what the circumstances. Amen.

Marilyn

God gave Gideon the assurance. I will be with you. You will smite the Midianites. as one man.

What a shot in the arm for Gideon self image.

I really feel like it applys to our daily walk with the Lord. I always told my children every time they went out the door ,Greater is HE who is in me than he who is in the world. Give them that assurance you are never alone, if the greater one is in you ,you can do all things.

The Lord knew he needed that assurance.

I ask the Lord to help me be able to fight those battles, that will come up . Because it only takes one person who prays ,to cause a rippling affect when the stone is thrown in the lake. We can do all things through JesusChrist who strenghten us.

Don't worry the Lord thy God is with thee. With God all things are possible and he shall provide all that is needed.

Yes, in the presence of God, we all begin to understand our weaknessess and repent from them. This is the reason we need to stay in his presence. All men have weaknessess, with God we can develop the strength to pass through the strifes and trials.

I Cor: 27-29 God chose the foolish things.

Dear Father,

Thank you for your mercy and your kindness, without you we are nothing but lowly sinner who cannot do anything without your righteousness. Strengthen me each day with knowledge and widom to continue to fight a good fight of faith. I want to thank you and praise your Holy Name.

Louvenia

I have been struck by the number of replies that have quoted from Matt 28:

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father,and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things,that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of age.

And I wonder if part of God's answer to my low self-image is simply, "Go ...". Any thoughts, anyone?

The Lord God promises Gideon that He will be with him.

Jesus promised that He would send another Comforter, the Holy Spirit. God is in us.

Lord, help me examine myself when I have trouble. Help me see where I am in relation to You.

Help me see myself as you see me.

Glenn