JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Jesus Suffered for You

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (2:21) According to 2:21, in what sense did Jesus suffer for you personally?

at first glance at this scripture it did not appear clear whether the word you was the singular or the plural as quite obviously Peter is writing to more than one person. However upon looking into the Greek it does appear that Peter is talking to me exclusively in this verse. If Jesus suffered for me personally then this place is agreed onus upon me to live a life that is somewhat righteous. Or at least I should try to live such a righteous life. For every sin that I commit is another stripe on the back of Jesus that he must bear. Heavenly a savior, I pray, that I will be able to live a life which is sufficiently righteous that Christ will not need to suffer a great deal because of my terrible and treacherous sins. It pains me greatly to think that Christ must bear the stripes for my sins on his back and that I get away scot-free. Heavenly Father Make Me righteous as Thou Art righteous. Amen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
On 2/29/2004 at 6:26 PM, Thehammer44 said:

Jesus then spoke to my spirit and said this, "No Ed, it wasn't the physical pain that was unbearable, but the REJECTION of my love that hurt the most."

This is profound.

I have never thought of His crucifixion as painful because of my/our rejection of His love. It's easy to identify with the physical pain, more difficult to see His death as painfully separated from God, but to see it as painful because of something WE did to him, every one of us, is eye-opening.

I reject His love on a daily basis when I sin. Some people never stop rejecting Him and die unsaved -- the ultimate rejection. 

There must be some quality in true love that is pained when rejected that goes beyond the pain we experience when jilted or rejected by a lover. As our love for someone gets "bigger," our capacity to be hurt also enlarges. In the past, I thought of this as allowing myself to be more vulnerable, thus more deeply hurt, but in the case of Christ, HIs love has nothing to do with vulnerability. It's a strong love AND one that feels pain.