JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Jesus Bore Your Sins in His Own Body

On 2/26/2004 at 0:13 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (2:24a) This may seem like a simplistic question, but give it thought before you answer, and then answer thoughtfully. What is the significance to you personally that Jesus bore your sins in his own body on the cross?

The significance that Christ bore my sins on the cross helps me to know that he loved me enough to take my punishment due to me for my sins. All I have to do is, through faith, is to know that for me his love has saved me from eternal damnation and separation from God. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the significance to you personally that Jesus bore your sins in his own body on the cross?

the significance is that Jesus is my personal savior - he died for me and he loves me beyond all measure. There is no love a great of this then that he gave his life for me. It is a personal thing. There is a personal relationship between the person who sins and the one who Bears the sins on the cross. It is like one who has given life by  giving someone else an organ from his body, a kidney or part of a liver.

What awes me is the profoundly deep love which was shown by bearing our sins in His body.

Not hard to go thru communion regularly and be reminded of His personal gift to me.

Q3. (2:24a) This may seem like a simplistic question, but give it thought before you answer, and then answer thoughtfully. What is the significance to you personally that Jesus bore your sins in his own body on the cross?

Thank you Lord. You are doing for me. So I am free.

I can only imagine how is my life very important in the world. Now I understand  I walk not alone but with Jesus. Halleluyah.

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus having bore my sins in His own body gives me an assurance of salvation. When I repent of sins I've committed and seek His forgiveness I can be certain that it is indeed forgiven as Jesus has already stood as substitution for our atonement,

• 6 years later...

This is a three-part question:

• What is the significance that Jesus bore my sins?
  • What is the significance that He bore my sins in His body?
  • What is the significance that the sins He bore were on the cross?

What does it mean to bear someone sins? To me, it means that Jesus metaphorically carried my sins for me, that he shouldered my sins or bore them. At one point I was crushed by the weight of my sins (even though I didn’t know it), but now, the weight of those sins are carried by Jesus. I think, too, that had Jesus not carried my sins for me, I would not be able to move.

What is the significance that the sins are borne in his body? To bear sins in the body is to concretize or make “flesh” a spiritual event. Had sins been forgiven only in our hearts, by fiat, without Christ on the cross, the spiritual character of this event would have permitted our minds to think of it as a weird abstraction. Difficult truths are often softened in our minds -- the cross grounds thinking, disallowing us from straying too far from the reality of the greatest substitution.

What is the significance of Jesus’ bearing our sins on the cross? Again, I think that the cross, as a natural substance that everyone understands (wood) makes the sacrifice of Christ all too real. Most people aren't abstract thinkers and therefore benefit from this-worldly, concrete visual examples.

Many people at that time died on crosses. Dying in this way was not unusual. Because finding wood on which to kill someone was a commonplace activity, the death of Christ on the cross takes it’s meaning from the events that happened after the cross, the resurrection and appearances, and how the Holy Spirit was left in the hearts of all who believed. I guess I’m saying, in a round-about way, that the fact that He died on a cross, as opposed to being stabbed or drowned or burnt, really doesn’t matter except to drive home the idea that He was murdered by the people He came to save, in a common, ordinary way … just like His birth was a common ordinary experience. The earthly circle closed.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2004 at 12:13 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The significance to me personally is that I am one of those that God gave to his Son as a sacrifice to God, for God's acceptance, and secured an inheritance of eternal heaven, without losing any of those he died for. (John 6:37-39).