JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Go to Jerusalem

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn’t been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Would you have tried to dissuade him? It’s comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

I think that Paul, if he had not been absolutely convinced of God's instruction, and felt compelled to go, would have been dissuaded from going to Jerusalem.  I guess I too, may have tried to dissuade him, if I had come to the insight of what he was going to.  The motivation behind that would always be to avoid pain and hardship.  We all want to avoid pain, discomfort, hardship, loss, the things we fear etc.  

Which is why I think that when it comes to personal life steps, like going to Jerusalem, one has to be personally convinced of what God has told you first.  We often as believers are not sure about God's direction, then when we step out, the first thing that is tested is our conviction of God's direction.  When I listen to other people making a decision that may lead to pain and hardship, I often look at how they came to that decision.

I don't think it is as much spiritual maturity, as maturity in finding truth, being obedient and self discipline.  I believe that younger believers often show more obedience and self discipline to the call of God at personal cost, than so called mature believers who have stagnated in their walk with the Lord.  One does not have to be a "spiritual giant," one just has to be so in love with God, that if He instructs, you are compelled to obey because of your love for Him, no matter the cost, even "to lay down your life."

Choosing the easy way, is choosing not to be obedient to that you have become convinced of.  It is simply disobedience.  Paul not gong to Jerusalem, when God had told him to, would have been the same as Jonah not going to Nineveh.  God's instruction still stands.  All disobedience leads to consequences, sometimes those we don't notice.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Paul would not have gone to Jerusalem and he would not have been imprisoned. He would have avoided imprisonment yet it was inevitable. He would have given in to other people’s desire for his safety.

Would you have tried to dissuade him? Without consideration of God’s voice, Yes, I would have dissuaded him. But now that I have been made aware of listening to God’s voice, I cannot dissuade him but rather encourage him to follow what the Holy Spirit directs him to do.

It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? This is a high level of dependency on God.

What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path? God forseek us. We remain bound by the earthly behavior.

What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem?

Later, in Acts 23:11 the bible says: “Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.’”

Paul receives a blessing from the Lord, that he would not otherwise receive. We miss so many blessings because we do not step out by faith to do the will of God.

Would you have tried to dissuade him?

I would not see it as my call. I would support him in prayer and any other way.

It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger?

He allows those He anoints to go through hardships and danger, to become stronger and more humble and more conscious and reliant on Him. We keep reverting to the created part of us – our thoughts and logic – rather than listening and obeying the Holy Spirit. Oh, but it’s all too hard, I’m frightened, is often what the Deceiver wants us to hear.

The more conscious we become of God in our lives, the greater the opportunity for His presence and His glory to be reflected from our lives. We have to continually seek Him and practice using our senses (feeling, hearing and seeing in the Spirit) to seek God’s direction in our lives. We need seek such faith of the friends of the paralytic man that Jesus healed in Luke 5:20-22.

What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

We can miss out on a blessing.

If Paul hadn’t been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem then the prophets that spoke about the dangers of going there would have been able to convince him not to go. I think that I would have tried to dissuade him especially if had the knowledge that he was going to be harmed. I don’t know about the maturity to do the things that God wants us to do but it takes faith.

When we choose to take the easy way after God has told us to take a different path then we are not doing the will of God and we don’t get any satisfaction out of what we have done.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn’t been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Would you have tried to dissuade him? It’s comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

a.)    Paul was compelled by the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem. If he was not obedient and lnstead, moved by his flesh, fears and others he would not have gone and God’s will would not have been done.

b.)   Maybe I would have dissuaded him,  if I had not heard the Word of God in my spirit as Paul had.

c.)    A maturity level that talks and hears from God.  Knowing in my spirit that God had talked with me and given me instructions and knowing that I should not be fearful because He is with me.

d.)   When we choose the easy way, nothing happens, no miracles, no victory.  We must do it God’s way.

• 2 weeks later...

What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem?

Later, in Acts 23:11 the bible says: “Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.’”

Paul receives a blessing from the Lord, that he would not otherwise receive. We miss so many blessings because we do not step out by faith to do the will of God.

I would not see it as my call. I would support him in prayer and any other way.

It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger?

He allows those He anoints to go through hardships and danger, to become stronger and more humble and more conscious and reliant on Him. We keep reverting to the created part of us – our thoughts and logic – rather than listening and obeying the Holy Spirit. Oh, but it’s all too hard, I’m frightened, is often what the Deceiver wants us to hear.

The more conscious we become of God in our lives, the greater the opportunity for His presence and His glory to be reflected from our lives. We have to continually seek Him and practice using our senses (feeling, hearing and seeing in the Spirit) to seek God’s direction in our lives. We need seek such faith of the friends of the paralytic man that Jesus healed in Luke 5:20-22.

What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

We can miss out on a blessing.

• 3 months later...

Paul knew he had to go to Jerusalem by being in the spirit, for the Holy Ghost led him there, then to Rome to preach Jesus Christ.  I wouldn’t try to dissuade him because he was being led by the Holy Ghost and he knew he had to testify that Jesus Christ is Lord to those in Jerusalem then also in Rome.  It takes a great amount of faith and maturity to be in danger but still go forward with the plans God has.  We could miss God’s blessings if we aren’t obedient to Him, and He could also become upset with us as God loves and expects obedience to Him.

• 1 month later...

Guidance to Travel to Jerusalem -- and  Confusing Interpretations

LESSON 3: QUESTION 3

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Paul would have missed the direction of the Holy Spirit which would have led to disobeying God and even loosing his destiny.  I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me -- the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace."  It's important that Paul knows God's direction for sure. He understood the will of God. That is why he says; "This isn't my choice," Paul is saying, it's the Spirit of God who compels me to go to Jerusalem at this time.

Would you have tried to dissuade him? I believe I would also have dissuaded him, but would not if I understood the will of God.

It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? At the level whereby you take the "Spirit" as a human spirit rather than the Holy Ghost. When you feel compelled by the Holy Ghost. When you can sense His promptings.

What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path? We loose direction. The "flesh" resists pain and struggle. The "flesh" can keep us from doing what God tells us to do, if we're not sure of what God has told us.

• 2 weeks later...

If Paul wasn't sure of his instruction from the Holy Spirit, he would not have gone.

Yes, being in my human spirit I would have told him not to go since hardship and danger was ahead and after the prophet had shown him being in bondage.

When we choose the easy way, it is just a temporary solution.  The problem is still there. We  don't learn the lesson that God want us to received. 

• 4 months later...

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Would you have tried to dissuade him? It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

He could have given up and not gone, the Agabus word put him off. He could easily have given way to doubt and unbelief and fear. I think most of us would have questioned his guidance!!!!!  A great deal of maturity!!!!!! If we choose the easy way we may miss out on God's best of not fulfilling our destiny whose value we may not fully appreciate until after this life.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn’t been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem?

Flesh resists pain and suffering. Had he not heard from the Lord, Paul would have imagined that going to Jerusalem was not Gpds will. But thank God that Paul did not short circuit His plan on his life, whereby we got some precious epistles from him through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Most probably. 

It’s comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger?

It takes a great deal of maturity through a regular walk with the Lord.

Then we are clearly not walking according to the revealed will of God in our lives.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Would you have tried to dissuade him? It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

Paul would have missed out on the plan of God, He would not have been able to finish his course with joy and the ministry, which He have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

He would not have been able to fulfill God’s will for him.

Naturally speaking, yes , would have wanted to have Paul, the apostle to be around for as long as it was possible. And would have tried to stop him from going to Jerusalem.

When maturity in relationship with God reaches to a level to proclaim that to die for Christ is gain, and to live is for Christ. Completely sold out for Him and His purpose in our lives. All our life is for Him and Him alone. In such case, like Paul,we will be able to take a decision to face any hardship and danger. 

When we choose our way (easy way) than His way (difficult path), we will miss out His will for our lives, miss out our course and the ministry He has committed to us. There will be no completeness as He brings the completeness of our purpose here on the earth. Though His path will be difficult for the course, it will be of content, joy and fulfillment which will be missed out when we choose the easy way.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

If Paul had not had not have been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit  to go to Jerusalem, I beleive Paul would had ended up following the flesh and desires of those around him and sought the safety of places to presach where he was less likely to be inprisoned.

I think I would have tried to dissuade him away from the apparent danger of death and inprionsonment.  I would have reasoned he could do more out of Prison than in...

It sertainly is comforting to receive encouraging words, hence it requires a deep level of trust, decernment and personal relationship with the Holy Spirit which I believe only comes with maturity.  If one is to be led into hardship danger, one needs to feel assured  - It (Love) does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. - 1 Corinthians 13:6.

When we chose the easy way - the flesh, the world, idols - the enemy ultimately wins out.  The flesh resists pain and struggle which can keep us from God, especially when God leads us on a difficult path.

On 11/28/2017 at 6:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Would you have tried to dissuade him? It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

If Paul wasn’t sure about what he was supposed to do, he could have possible asked God for further guidance. I Bryan would not have tried to persuade him in a negative way, because if people of God allow negative things in their lives, they slowly grow lesser tuned to God and that is dangerous. It take a great level of trust and reasonable level of maturity to receive a direction that is hard and scary. It is always better to choose God’s path than your own easy

path. I am not sure what would happen if you chose the easy way but I’m sure that if you choose God’s way, He will be there with you.

• 10 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14)

What would have happened if Paul hadn’t been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Paul would probably not have gone to Jerusalem but the word here is "compelled" and that means the instruction was something Paul couldn't refuse. He was bound to carry it out; literally.

Would you have tried to dissuade him? I would not have dissuaded him if I had known that the Holy Spirit's instruction was compelling. I would tell him, "go, and do what you're charged with. Have faith that God would follow you and keep you in safe keeping." It’s comforting to receive encouraging words.

What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger?  I would think it's a matter of trust and faith in God that makes Paul carry out assignments that is clearly wrought with danger. Even if there's a chance that his life could end, he accepts that sometimes "Lord's will be done." 

What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path? Choosing the easy way may going against the instruction from God, so even if the word is to go where imprisonment and suffering is likely, if it was willed, it should be followed accordingly. Sometimes if the journey is quick and easy, the reward is not as great as when you've journeyed long and hard.

• 4 weeks later...

If Paul was not sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem he may never had obeyed and many souls that wer won by His preaching of the gospel would not have heard his witness of Christ.

As the others did out of love and care for him, I may have done the same,  They were not yet matured in the things of God.

Our maturity in Christ would have to be where we fully trust that God is speaking to you and that you;re fully persuaded that He is directing your path.

When we chose the easy way, when God leads  us on a difficult path we're manifesting distrust and not trust in God to take care of us.

• 4 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 2:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

If Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem, he might have allowed himself to be persuaded by his friends to abort that particular trip.

If, like his friends, I was processing the prophecy from Agabus through the ears of the flesh, I would have tried to dissuade him also.

It takes the level of maturity that Paul obviously had, not only to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger, but to obey that direction as well.

When God leads us on a difficult path and we choose the easy way, it puts a spoke in the wheel of our relationship with Him; it causes delay in our spiritual development; and we might not be able to move on from there until we allow God to have His way.  If that path is leading us to be of service to someone else, then God might very well bypass us and use somebody else to accomplish His purpose.

• 1 month later...

His friends would have been able to dissuade him from going. He would have had doubts about what he is doing. He probably would not have gone to Jerusalem for fear of being imprisoned.

When we are Spirit led, we don't know where we are going or what we will be doing from one day to the next, and this can cause conflict with those who are close to us, who don't really understand how the Spirit works. Yes they are genuinely concerned for our health, safety, and wellbeing, but Father and His Will must always come first.

Not at all.

Regardless of the outcome, nothing happens unless Father has authorised it to happen. (Psalm 24:1) and if He authorises it, there is a good reason why He has done so.

Not only would we have to place our entire lives and the lives of those we love in Our Father hands, we would have to hate our own lives and be willing to die for the Kingdom cause. Only by the power, strength and might of the Holy Spirit can this be achieved. Only by believing in Our Fathers promises for, protection, comfort, peace, and eternity can this be achieved. Only by believing in and looking to Christ can this be achieved.

All self desire would have to be removed.

Our tests, trials and tribulations are what bring us to maturity in Christ Jesus, they increase our faith, produce patience and endurance. It is through them that we mature and have the pleasure of seeing Our Father at work.

These verses got me through some very difficult times

James 1:2-4
My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

Philippians 1:21
For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Matthew 16:25
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Mark 8:36
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

If we choose the easy way, it will take longer for us to mature.

If Father has called us to an assignment, and we chose the easy way out, just like Jonah He will bring us back to where He wants us to be. That easy path will eventually become much harder than the path Father set for us initially.

Love and blessing to you all. Xx

• 8 months later...

This seems foundational -- Paul MUST know God's will in this situation because the church/believers are trying to dissuade him from doing God's will. He needed to be sure, then, what God's will was so he could resist the well-intentioned, but errant, opinion of fellow believers. 

So God made his will clear to Paul. He gave him that extra dollop of his (audible?) voice so Paul was absolutely certain what God wanted. 

Maybe, though, Paul wasn't certain. Maybe he waffled and wavered quietly because God's voice, though he thought he had heard Him correctly, could be interpreted as meaning something else. Maybe there was a leap of faith on the part of Paul, precisely because he wasn't certain. I do wonder if deep inside of Paul, he wondered if he was doing the right thing, if he had fleeting doubt or second thoughts. 

Paul plowed ahead anyway. To Jerusalem. To his death. Did God reveal to Paul the outcome of his journey, his death? Or, did God hold back that information from Paul, so that Paul wouldn't be anguished?

--

I want a solid, unwavering faith that God wants me to do a particular thing in my life, which involves a journey to a foreign country: unlike Paul, I haven't heard God's voice. I don't have that assurance. Will it unfold, slowly? Will I ever get it? Do I strike out and let God correct my course as I walk? I need to know God's will ... I NEED TO KNOW HIS WILL. 

• 1 year later...

Would you have tried to dissuade him? It's comforting to receive encouraging words.

What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger?

Paul was not one that just operated on his own whim or fancy.  He made sure that he obeyed and went where the Spirit led him.  He was stopped on occasions, from following original plans. Refer to Acts 16:6-10. He was sent on to Macedonia instead of following original plans, going through Asia Minor.  

The questions are not so easy to just answer.  One is reminded of Jonah, who tried to run away from God's plan.  God followed him and Jonah bowed to God's plan.  I'm sure that somehow God would have shown  Paul that He needed him to go to Jerusalem.  Being who he was, I am sure that Paul would have gone to Jerusalem , no matter what.  

It's hard to say if I would have tried to dissuade him.  I would have sooner prayed with him and also asked God's assurance for me to not stand in his way but to support him in prayer that He remain "standing" no matter how hard the trial.  

I do not think it has much to do with maturity, I think it sooner has to do with certainty that that is where the Spirit is leading.  

We loose out on a blessing if we follow a path not chosen for us by God.  Ultimately it will be a much harder path as we will walk it with baggage.   If we repent, there will be forgiveness, but usually there will be unnecessary baggage. (The principle of ultimately reaping what you sow).

• 4 months later...

If Paul had not been sure of the instructions from the Holy Spirit, he would have enquired more just like Samuel did when he went to Eli because he was not sure who was calling him. I think Paul was always obedient to do the will of God and made sure that he listened to the still small voice.

I would not because I believe that you can only dissuade a person if you also had a visitation of the Holy Spirit who would have indicated how dangerous it would be for Paul to go to Jerusalem. Prophet Agabus got the revelation and actually demonstrated to Paul what he was going to face. 

It takes a person who is rooted in the Word of God and who earnestly pray and believe that when we live or die we do so for the Lord. A person who is willing to do the will of God not his own will. We also saw Jesus asking God if the cup cannot pass but later realized that it was not His will but the will of God that needed to be fulfilled.

We become disobedient and not trust God that where he leads us to, His mercies will sustain us. There is no easy way out as children of God because want to do our own will. Where God sends us, we must try to understand us He will make a way. We should always ask for a discerning spirit to help us show the right paths.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn’t been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem?
God would have come to him in a dream or vision, or spoken to him like He did Elijah. I do believe God would have made sure he heard Him because His plans never fail.

Knowing that the Holy Spirit was leading him, no. I wouldn’t want to come in between what the Lord has planned for Paul or anyone. 

It’s comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger?
Knowing the voice of God and being filled with the Holy Spirit. Having the spirit of discernment.

You get farther away from God and end up spending more time in sin than planned.

• 7 months later...

If he wasn't sure, he might have made the wrong decision and that would have been a mistake.

If he wasn't sure if he heard from the Holy Spirit I would have tired to dissuade him other wise no.

A very high level of maturity and a strong conviction.

The outcome will not be what was meant for you.