JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. When God Is Silent

Pastor Ralph

Why does God sometimes not talk to us?

It is in God’s good time, not ours. Our perception of time is very different. Often, it seems, he talks to us in the 11th hour when we are most in need.

Is it always because we aren't receptive?

No, it’s when God sees it right for a particular moment and bigger purpose that we often don’t imagine.

What should we do when we don't hear anything from God?

If truly from God, an inner knowing tells me to act.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:14 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Acts 16:6-10; Psalm 27:14) Why does God sometimes not talk to us? Is it always because we aren’t receptive? What should we do when we don’t hear anything from God?

a.) Because we don't take the time to spend with Him, or be in His Word.

b.) Sometimes, it is our receiver.

c.) Be in the Word more and spend time in His presence, talk to Him and wait to hear from Him.

• 3 months later...

It’s not that God is not taking, it’s that we are not listening.  I believe God is always speaking to us, He is Omnipresent and can help anyone at anytime.  Yes, sometimes we are not receptive and yet sometimes we just aren’t listening.  God wants us to have faith in Him for everything, He loves faith and is constantly testing our faith.  If we don’t hear from God, we either have to speak to Him through prayer or just listen more diligently.  Because God is still speaking, He never gets tired, or taking a nap, or is not accessible to us, or has given up on us.  That’s what the devil wants us to believe that God doesn’t care about us, but that’s a lie God does care about us all of the time.

• 7 months later...

Q4. (Acts 16:6-10; Psalm 27:14) Why does God sometimes not talk to us? Is it always because we aren’t receptive? What should we do when we don’t hear anything from God?

God is sovereign and He can choose what He wants to do according to His will. We cannot box Him in or dictate to Him. If you are not receptive it may not be possible to hear Him, but even then since He’s sovereign and wants to get across to you He can definitely do that. But as a believer, we should be in a yielded posture and abiding position in His presence.

When we do not hear from Him, we should continue doing what He has previously revealed till He gives fresh instructions or guidance.

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (Acts 16:6-10; Psalm 27:14) Why does God sometimes not talk to us? Is it always because we aren't receptive? What should we do when we don't hear anything from God?

God is Sovereign and He does right and His ways are just. We must be tuned to understand God’s ways. When there is no communication from God, it also can be that we are not receptive or fully tuned. It is good to wait on the Lord patiently. Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength like eagles. Waiting upon God must never disappoint us, rather get refreshed, strengthened and renewed. Until we hear from God, we continue on our previous assignment faithfully , till we get fresh direction from Him.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:14 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Acts 16:6-10; Psalm 27:14) Why does God sometimes not talk to us? Is it always because we aren’t receptive? What should we do when we don’t hear anything from God?

I think God sometimes does not talk to us because, sometimes we are not receptive, nor listening out for  his voice or expecting him to speak to us. Other times it maybe becuase he has spoken and we ae expecting a different word or confirmationthat what we heard is right.  Similarly, it maybe becuase God is not speaking to us at that time.

It all seems challenging to discern, but I believe that God does speak to us and in his will, will enable us to hear from him in his time, so we can take comfort in

Psalm 27:14 when God is not speaking to us - Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD! in earnest expectation that God will speak in his timing which is the right timing for his will to be done in our lives.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Why does God sometimes not talk to us?
One of the main reasons we feel like God is not talking to us is because we do not know his voice because we do not know his word. Hearing the voice of God personally is directly related to knowing the word of God generally.

Is it always because we aren't receptive? No

It’s time to examine our life. Ask ourself is there any unconfessed sin in our life that may be blocking us from hearing God’s voice? The Bible tells us, “If I had not confessed the sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened” (Psalm 66:18). Doing this requires us to look deep into our own hearts and lives. Begin by asking ourself: Do I have bad motives? Is there anything or anyone that I love more than God? As these things come to light and we become more aware of what’s separating us from God, ask Him for His forgiveness. The act of repentance pleases God and restores our fellowship with Him.

• 3 months later...

Q4. (Acts 16:6-10; Psalm 27:14) Why does God sometimes not talk to us? Is it always because we aren’t receptive? I don't think it's God not talking to us. It could be that there's been a change in plans so God is thinking things over. It could also be that he responded and we just missed it.

What should we do when we don’t hear anything from God? If you don't hear back from God, you can always nudge him too. David asked several times whether he should attack the Philistines and God came back with a battle strategy.

• 4 weeks later...

He is Sovereign, God speaks to us when it matches with His sovereign will.

Is it always because we aren’t receptive?

Not that we're not receptive, but that in the moment His Presence with us is in stillness.

What should we do when we don’t hear anything from God?

When we do not hear anything from God we should worship Him because He's still being all that He is to us.  He is healer, provider, sustainer, sanctifier;  He's still God and is Faithful as the I AM.

• 4 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 2:14 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God sometimes does not talk to us because He is not always talking.  And no, it is not always because we are not receptive.  It is just that He is not talking at the moment.  So when we do not hear anything from God, we are to continue doing what we were doing (in His secret place), and patiently wait on Him for further directions.

• 1 month later...

Why does God sometimes not talk to us?

Maybe it is because we have sinned, without repenting, or asking for forgiveness and have turned away from Him in guilt and shame.

Maybe it is because He has nothing to say at that moment in time, He is probably working it out.

Maybe it is because we are in the place where we need to be, doing what we need to be doing.

Maybe we have been given our assignment and Father is waiting for us 'to go' to give us further instruction.

When I was in my depressive state Father was there every second of the day, from the moment I woke up in the morning to the moment I fell asleep and all through the night. We had such amazing conversations, I could not have carried on without it, and He knew that. ABBA is soo good, Thank you Father ?

At times I would vision a Father teaching his child to ride a bike. He holds on to the back, until he is sure that the child has mastered the art of balance and coordination, then he let's go. The child only realises when she talks to him and there is no answer. The father shouts keep going, you are doing it, you are doing great. Some children take great joy in the fact that they have achieved. Some panic and the father who is close by grabs hold of the bike to stabilise it and assures the child that he is still there . The child might become over confident too soon and then fall, and the Father runs to pick them up, dress their wounds, comfort, and correct them. But in all cases, the father is always there watching and waiting.

Not always.

Don't be afraid, be still or keep going, have faith, trust in, and wait on the Lord.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 2 months later...

Q4. (Acts 16:6-10; Psalm 27:14) Why does God sometimes not talk to us? Is it always because we aren't receptive? What should we do when we don't hear anything from God?

1- Possibly to have us become more clear that the Mission is His, not ours. He is the director & we are His servants.

2- 90 - 10 but improving.

3- A loving Father wants to keep us close. Keep listening & doing whatever you were doing, as He would you / me doing, His way.

Q4. (Acts 16:6-10; Psalm 27:14) Why does God sometimes not talk to us? Is it always because we aren't receptive? What should we do when we don't hear anything from God?

1- I likely am busy doing the stuff that interest me, gives me satisfaction, purpose, which come easy to me & I can do On my Own & get the desired results: So I think. God is exercising patient & will use whatever we are caught up with for His purposes & our good. So, He waits for us to Come to the End of our own Doing, are disappointed & Open for Ideas. He loves & knows us & will float a thought by us and capture our attention for our personal, relational, spiritual growth. In His process, He calls, draws us to Himself, as He knows exactly how to prepare us to be a great assistant in extending love to others around us ( which we would find satisfying especially as we become aware He was directing the events from the side. Delighting in our growing sense of His love & presence in our lives and Accomplishing His Devine loving purposes.

2- Not hearing anything from God?   Lord, thank You for allowing me to come to this place where I Miss You.  When I left You to go on with my own agenda, I came to experience emptiness, no fruit. Thank You because I am now again in that place where I know I am not God, You are, and as Your adopted son, I would like to learn by walking alongside You, listening & responding to whatever small thing  You would have me do, in Your disciplining process. The end results will all post back to    Your faithful loving purposes for me & You.  Thanks for counting me into  Your Family, for Jesus reconciliation & Holy Spirit eternal presence with me. I love you for placing a desire in me to want intimacy with You.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 11:14 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Psalm 27:14 Wait Patiently for the Lord. Be brave & courageous. Yes, with patiently for the LORD.

Great intentions may come to me, but are they God's best will & plan?   I have often assumed & barged ahead to try and make Whatever happen. That reaction of mine has never produced a Godly outcome. It was me trying to do What Only God Does. Thank fully, He uses all things together for good... and teaches me How & when & what I was to express on His behalf, Do, or Say.   God did not really need me to do stuff for Him, I think He uses these opportunities to help us learn to walk " In Step " with Holy Spirit. We are learning what we didn't know, we didn't know.  I love how the Lord uses these situations to learn "Without Him, we can do Nothing correctly.' 

• 4 months later...

Why does God sometimes not talk to us? Is it always because we aren’t receptive? What should we do when we don’t hear anything from God?

This question terrifies me. I want to hear his voice -- that's why I'm here -- so I'm desperate to hear him talk to me. I don't want to make plans without his will known in advance. I don't want to waste time thinking about what I think is his calling. I want -- no, need -- confirmation. To hear His voice loud and clear.

It would seem that if he is calling me to do something, he'd care enough to confirm it and give me the steps needed to go. I feel called to a particular country. Am I really called? God needs to talk to me about this, to confirm what I "hear" in my head and believe is Him. I'm VERY VERY receptive, so that's not the problem. I'm eager to hear Him. 

I have no idea what to do. When we don't hear from God, does life just stop?

• 1 year later...

Q4. (Acts 16:6-10; Psalm 27:14)

Sometimes God has spoken to us and we have not responded to His response to us,then it seems as if He does not talk to us.

Sometimes it is just a time where we need to just wait, be quiet and be strengthened for the next project God has, to put across your pathway, to involve you in.  When we don't hear anything I guess we need to look into our lives and make sure first that there is nothing in our lives, hindering God from speaking to us, or hindering us to actually be hearing His voice.

I asked for strength and God gave me difficulties to make me strong.

I asked for wisdom and God gave me problems to solve

I asked for courage and God gave me dangers to overcome

I asked for love and God gave me troubled people to help

Maybe He has answered by the above and I need to respond positively to that first before there is too much on my proverbial plate.  

• 5 months later...

God always talk to us and all that we need to do is to prepare ourselves to hear from Him. He is always at work and we need to ask the Holy Spirit to help us hear God.

Yes, most of the time we are not receptive to what God says to us. We need to position ourselves to hear Him speak to us and we need to be always eager to hear what God has to say in our lives.

Wait upon the Lord and while waiting, continue to read the Word of God and pray. Seek Him and humble yourself. God will surely show up because He says: " Seek and you find, knock and the door will be opened."

• 3 months later...

Q4. (Acts 16:6-10; Psalm 27:14) Why does God sometimes not talk to us?

I don’t think God isn’t talking to us I believe we just aren’t tuned in to hear Him. Maybe we are waiting for this loud boastful voice an He’s speaking in a small whisper.

Is it always because we aren’t receptive?

I believe so, He talked with the prophets in the Bible and with Yahshua. Being that we are His creation, His children why would He not converse with us daily.

What should we do when we don’t hear anything from God?

Wait on Him, clear your mind and focus on His word. Get someplace quiet where there’s no distractions and pray, I believe he’ll show up.

• 5 months later...

Q.4 God is always talking , might happen that at times He is not talking to us , because we are not tuned to hear His voice

Yes it could be because we are not quiet to be able to hear when He speak , could be ignorance or being not sensitized to His voice duck that we miss Him when He speaks

Reading His word , is the initial way we hear God speaks, and ask Him what He want us to hear through His word , that is how we grow in  hearing His voice. Being still also help us to hear when He speaks

• 1 month later...

God knows what's best, he has his reasons, I don't think it is always because we are not receptive.

Listen, wait on the Lord.