JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Upon All Flesh

Joel 2
28 And afterward I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions.
29 Even upon the menservants and upon the maidservants in those days will I pour out My Spirit.
30 And I will show signs and wonders in the heavens, and on the earth, blood and fire and columns of smoke.
31 The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the great and terrible day of the Lord comes.
32 And whoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be delivered and saved, for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the Lord has said, and among the remnant [of survivors] shall be those whom the Lord calls.
Ezekiel 36
 26 A new heart will I give you and a new spirit will I put within you, and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you shall heed My ordinances and do them.
Ezek 37
14 And I shall put My Spirit in you and you shall live, and I shall place you in your own land. Then you shall know, understand, and realize that I the Lord have spoken it and performed it, says the Lord.
Ezek 39
29 Neither will I hide My face any more then from them, when I have poured out My Spirit upon the house of Israel, says the Lord God.

Most of these are for these for the world excluding the Ezekiel passage in chapter 39 it states the House of Israel. Which does not mean the church. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Joel 2:28-32; Ezekiel 36:26-27; 37:14; 39:29) 
What promises do we find in Joel and Ezekiel concerning the Holy Spirit?                      Who are the recipients of these promises? 

And 'afterwards'  -    God makes and keeps His Promises, especially concerning the giving of His Spirit, but it is conditional on our part. Both Joel and Ezekiel help us to realize that only those who truly repent and proclaim the name of the Lord shall be saved. It is a volunteering army of believers that receive a 'new heart'  and have the Holy Spirit put 'within'  them.   To the Jew first - starting with the original church of Jewish apostles, ( as Peter tells us ) then to all Gentiles and finally to the remnant of Israel after that Great and awesome day of the Lord.   As the LORD tells us ( Ezekiel 36:22,23 )  He does it all 'for His name sake'.      

Q4. (Joel 2:28-32; Ezekiel 36:26-27; 37:14; 39:29) What promises do we find in Joel and Ezekiel concerning the Holy Spirit? Who are the recipients of these promises?

1. In Joel, God is promised his Spirit will come on all people. They will prophesy, dream dreams, have visions. Everyone who call on the name of the Lord will be saved!

In Ezekiel, God promised to give a new heart and put his Spirit in us. He promised to remove our stone hearts and give new hearts. The Spirit will move us to follow God’s decrees and to carefully follow his laws. God will not hide his face from us but pour out his Spirit on us.

2. We are the recipients. All who call on his name.

What promises do we find in Joel and Ezekiel concerning the Holy Spirit?

The promises in Joel and Ezekiel are centered on God pouring his spirit on the people who are called Israel. The promises also include everyone who calls the name of the Lord. The promises we find in Joel and Ezekiel include: -

• §  S  Sons and daughters would prophesy

1. §    Old men will dream dreams

2. §    Young men will see visions

3. §     Wonders will be shown in the heavens and

o   Blood and fire and billows of smoke on earth

1. §    The coming of the great and dreadful day of  the Lord

2. §    The faithful would be saved and there will deliverance on Mount Zion

3. §    A new heart and new spirit would see the removal of a heart of stone to be replaced by a heart of flesh

4. §    God’s Spirit would make the people follow God’s Laws and follow his decrees

5. §    Promise of life and land

6. §    God’s face will no longer be hidden from the Israelite

Who are the recipients of these promises?

The repentant Israelite and their servants, all those who called on the name of the Lord, those who obeyed God’s decrees and upheld his laws.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:04 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Joel 2:28-32; Ezekiel 36:26-27; 37:14; 39:29) What promises do we find in Joel and Ezekiel concerning the Holy Spirit? Who are the recipients of these promises?

God promises His Spirit will be poured out to all who believe in Him. His promises are never broken. 

Q. 4. (Joel 2:28-32; Ezekiel 36:26-27; 37:14; 39:29) What promises do we find in Joel and Ezekiel concerning the Holy Spirit? Who are the recipients of these promises?

1. The promises in Joel and Ezekiel concerning the Holy Spirit is that:" I will pour out my spirit on all people..son and daughter will prophesy..old men will dream dreams , young men will see dreams".. "I will give you a new heart and put a new Spirit within you;"  

2. The recipient of these promises in Ezekiel 39: 29 is the house of Israel in the future.

Joel 2:28-32 deals with the future tribulation; it also include the fulfillment on the Day of Pentecost according to Peter  Acts 2:16-21

On 7/23/2018 at 12:04 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The promises we find in Joel are about the Prophecies of Outpouring of God's Spirit , and the Salvation of those who calls upon Him (Joel 2/28-29  ,2/32a 

The  verses also speak to us about the  Promise --Receiving the gifts of prophecy  and interpretation of visions & dreams  by the believers  who are ""Sons""(children) ,old and young both men and women 

I personally rejoice in the verse - "I will give you a new heart and put a new Spirit within you; which is applicable to all of us  ,sinners and those humble to be repentant .the assurance of  salvation of many ,

Noteworthy to revise the  narration of Valley Of Dry Bones that will be regenerated to life ..Ezekiel  37th Chapter  It can be considered as a Promise and Power of the life giving  a attribute of Holy Spirit.as a Future event  in the House of Israel.

The Spirit upon All Believers (Joel 2:28-32)

Q4. (Joel 2:28-32; Ezekiel 36:26-27; 37:14; 39:29) What promises do we find in Joel and Ezekiel concerning the Holy Spirit?

ANS. Q 4: God promises His people (a Ministry of the Holy Spirit) a Spirit of prophecy through (Joel 2:28-32) also quoted in (Acts 2:16-21). 28. And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people.  Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. 29. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days....32. And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved...."(Joel 2:28-29, 32a)

God also speaks through (Ezekiel36:26-27; 37:14; 39:29) prophet Ezekiel. More of these promises of the Spirit upon God's people come in Ezekiel, some clustered around Ezekiel's famous vision of the Valley of Dry Bones that God brings to life:
26. And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 26. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules." (Ezekiel 36:25-27; cf. 11:19)

"And I will put my Spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I am the LORD; I have spoken, and I will do it, declares the LORD." (Ezekiel 37:14)

"And I will not hide my face anymore from them, when I pour out my Spirit upon the house of Israel, declares the Lord GOD." (Ezekiel 39:29)

These prophecies point to a future time: the New Covenant.

Who are the recipients of these promises? The prophets and the Apostles in the New Covenant. On the day of Pentecost.

THE SPIRIT UPON All BELIEVERS (Joel 2:28-32)

Q4. (Joel 2:28-32; Ezekiel 36:26-27; 37:14; 39:29).

a). What promises do we find in Joel and Ezekiel concerning the Holy Spirit?

ANS. Q 4: God promises His people (a Ministry of the Holy Spirit) a Spirit of prophecy through (Joel 2:28-32) also quoted in (Acts 2:16-21). 28. And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people.  Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. 29. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days....32. And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved...."(Joel 2:28-29, 32a)

God also speaks through (Ezekiel 36:26-27; 37:14; 39:29) prophet Ezekiel.

More of these promises of the Spirit upon God's people come in Ezekiel, some clustered around Ezekiel's famous vision of the Valley of Dry Bones that God brings to life: 26. And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 26. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules." (Ezekiel 36:25-27; cf. 11:19)

"And I will put my Spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I am the LORD; I have spoken, and I will do it, declares the LORD." (Ezekiel 37:14)

"And I will not hide my face anymore from them, when I pour out my Spirit upon the house of Israel, declares the Lord GOD." (Ezekiel 39:29)

These prophecies point to a future time: the New Covenant.

b) Who are the recipients of these promises?

ANS. Q 4: The prophets and the Apostles in the New Covenant. On the day of Pentecost..

In Joel and Ezekiel, these scriptures I believe are speaking to the children of Israel, whom God had chosen to be His people to teach the world of Him. Their forefathers, were the ones who were delivered from bondage, from slavery in Egypt and while in the wilderness, witnessed the glory and the power of God, the Almighty, whom they were to serve.  They were the ones who were to receive the promises that God made to Abraham and his descendants. This is the generation of them, but because they have sinned and forgotten the God their fathers served and taught them to serve, God has sent prophets to them to draw them back to him and to remind them of who they are and that they are to repent and worship him as their only true and living God.  Verses 32 of Joel speaks of Mt. Zion and Jerusalem, which are the places of worship in the Old Testaments, or the scriptures.  These scriptures are quoted by Jesus also in the New Testament, but it is only after his birth and his death that it applies to the rest of the world.  All of the generation that came from bondage have died out and these are the next generations who have adopted other gods as they enter other lands and have forgotten the God of their fathers.  God is trying to reach them to remind them of the wonders and promises He still has in store for them but they have to repent from their wicked ways and obey him and walk in His word and Worship only Him!  To show His power and His might and His glory, God has promised to pour out His spirit upon them and they will never again be but to shame.  We must remember that even in all their sinful ways, God still loved them and wanted to be their God and will forgive them and dwell with them again if they will just seek him and serve him and ask for forgiveness and worship him as their only God..  The Spirit is promised to those who accept Jesus and are holy and righteous, for His spirit will not live in a sinful soul, one who rejects him.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:04 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

4a and b:  The promise is of the Holy Spirit being poured out on all flesh, and sons and daughters will prophesy, old men shall dream dreams and young men shall see visions. Even upon menservants and maidservants He will pour out His Spirit. (No "class" or  race or gender or other favoritism.). He will show signs and wonders in the Heavens and on the earth, etc, and WHOEVER calls upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved and delivered. (all whom the Lord Calls!)

" 28 And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions.
29  Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days....
32  And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved...."
(Joel 2:28-29, 32a)

"26  And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27  And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules." (Ezekiel 36:25-27; cf. 11:19)

"And I will put my Spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I am the LORD; I have spoken, and I will do it, declares the LORD." (Ezekiel 37:14)

"And I will not hide my face anymore from them, when I pour out my Spirit upon the house of Israel, declares the Lord GOD." (Ezekiel 39:29)

These prophecies point to a future time: the New Covenant.  Believers in Jesus Christ who believe in their heart and declare with their mouths Jesus is the only way to the Father, repent and are baptized in Jesus name.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Joel 2:28-32; Ezekiel 36:26-27; 37:14; 39:29)

Q. What promises do we find in Joel and Ezekiel concerning the Holy Spirit?

A. God promised to pour His Spirit upon His people, the children of Israel and by extension all believers in Him and in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Q. Who are the recipients of these promises?

A. See b part of the first question please.

• 4 weeks later...

Both Joel and Ezekiel prophesy about the coming of the Messiah.

In Joel, once Messiah comes, God will pour out his Spirit on all mankind -- nobody is excluded.  As I understand, though, this doesn't mean everybody automatically receives the Holy Spirit.  All can: from the highest to the lowest, all can receive.  Not all will:  only those who follow Jesus ("Messiah" in Joel's prophecy) will receive the Spirit.  

The Spirit will manifest Himself in ways that can be understood by all: dreams, visions, and prophecy.  Older people typically relate to dreams, younger people are visionaries, and some were anointed to speak for God (prophesy).  This happened in OT times,  though limited to specific individuals and for specific purposes.  It will happen again at Pentecost and after, when miraculous signs and wonders take place.

According to Ezekiel, the Spirit will compel men to return to God, to follow Him and obey Him.  The Spirit will inject new life into dead souls.  Unlike before, when God gave and took away his Spirit, now it will remain within man's heart forever.  This all will take place after Jesus comes and people place their faith in Him.

Edited by LissaR
Clarified my thoughts

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:04 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Joel and Ezekiel prophesied that the Spirit would come upon all people, and would be within them. Then they shall know the Lord, and have amazing encounters, like see visions, dream dreams.

The recipients are "all people", inclusive of male and female, young and old.

On 7/23/2018 at 12:04 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When the Lord pours his Spirit on all his people they will prophesy, dream dreams, have visions, and to all who call on the Lord he will save.  They will receive new hearts of flesh, and they will follow statues and obey his rules, they will be given their own land and God will no longer hide his face from his people.

Q4. (Joel 2:28-32; Ezekiel 36:26-27; 37:14; 39:29) What promises do we find in Joel and Ezekiel concerning the Holy Spirit? Who are the recipients of these promises?

Whereas in the Old Testament, Holy Spirit come upon only specific people in order to carry out specific tasks, in Joel God promises that He will pour out the Holy Spirit on all who call upon the the name of the Lord. This was literally fulfilled in the inauguration of the church on the day of Pentecost when Peter preached to those who were gathered then and continues even to this day. On the day of Pentecost we see a new entity made - comprised of Jews and Gentiles and was called the church, His Bride and His Body. Because of His abundant mercy we gentiles also were able to be partakers of this heavenly blessing. In the Old Testament the law was written in the tablets of stone, whereas in the New covenant His rules are written on the tablets of our hearts. Not only that, He also caused our hearts to be regerated, ie given a new heart, and because of the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit within us, we are given the ability to follow His commandments. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:04 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We find promises of God pouring his Spirit on His people and men and women prophesy and see visions and dreams. He gives us a new heart and a new spirit and helps us follow His ways. And anyone who calls on the Name of the Lord will be saved. The recipients of these promises are anyone who believes in God and believes Jesus died for them.

• 2 weeks later...

In the last days, God will pour out His Spirit upon all flesh (people). Sons and daughters will prophesy, young men will see visions and old men will see dreams, even upon servants - men and women, He will pour out His Spirit.

God will give us a new heart and a new spirit, remove heart of stone and give a heart of flesh within. He will put His Spirit within us for us to walk in His statutes and obey His rules.

While God will put His Spirit upon Israel and they shall live, God will bring them to their own land to prove that He is God and He will do what He said. and He will not hide His face from His people.

This promise is for all who walk in the new covenant, God said it and will perform it. We can see His work around us even today.

• 5 weeks later...

In Joel 2:28-32, God promises to pour His Spirit out on all people.  He says that we will prophesy, dream dreams and see visions.  He promises that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

God promises in Ezekiel 36-26-27 that He will give us a new heart and a new spirit.  He will remove our heart of stone and give us a heart of flesh.  He will put His Spirit in us and cause us to walk in His ways and obey His commands.  .      
In Ezekiel 37:14, God promises to put His Spirit in us and that we will live.  He says that He will put us in our own land.  I believe this promise about the land is addressed to Israel specifically.  He says that we will know He is the Lord.  He says that He has spoken and He will do it. 

In Ezekiel 39:29, God promises He will not hide His face from His people any more.  He will pour His Spirit out on the House of Israel.

I believe the promises in Joel 2:28-32 and Ezekiel 26:26-27 are for all people.  I believe that the promises in Ezekiel 37:14 and 39:29 are for Israel.  

• 7 months later...

Q4. (Joel 2:28-32; Ezekiel 36:26-27; 37:14; 39:29) What promises do we find in Joel and Ezekiel concerning the Holy Spirit?

Joel and Ezekiel tell us about the future ministries when God’s Spirit will be poured out on and within all flesh.  

Who are the recipients of these promises?
Everyone that will call upon the name of the Lord.