JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Core Identity

1. Preparation of both Mary and Joseph.

Mary to know that she will conceive(not as usual by meeting Joseph) and should not be afraid or dismayed, as the Holy Spirit is at work.

Joseph not to be surprised and discouraged by the 'unusual' pregnancy of Mary, that is not through him. He must know that it is through the Holy Spirit and the child will be the Son of God.

This was preparation for  Parenthood and God's Presence in the family of Joseph as confirmed in the Scriptures elsewhere.

And this became clear when Jesus was baptized and prayed. The Heavens cleared and the Holy Spirit descended like a dove on Jesus, with a voice saying, " this is my beloved Son".

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth?

The Holy Spirit fell upon Mary, and she was overshadowed by the power of the Most High. Mary was still a virgin when she became pregnant, she had not yet known a man, so the Holy Spirit actively established Jesus' conception, actively confirmed that He would be Holy, and that He is the Son of The Most High.

An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph telling him not to be afraid that the child Mary is carrying is from the Holy Spirit. Joseph had confirmation that Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit descended on Jesus after He was baptised, and Father confirmed that He was His son.

How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?

By coming to live in me, and giving me a new life in Christ Jesus.

By replacing my old heart of stone with a heart of flesh that desires to please Father seeks to do His will, to want to obey Him and keep His commandments. The fear of upsetting Him and being Chastised by Him.

He walks with me wherever I go so I am always ready to preach the Good News of salvation in Jesus Christ, and to tell others what an amazing Heavenly Father we have.

He gives me the strength and the comfort to face the trials in life, the ability to comfort others with the comfort I receive from Him. He gives me a peace that surpasses all understanding, knowing that He is in control.

By giving me the spiritual gift of tongues, healing, visions, dreams and prophesy.

Others have witnessed the change in me, I am not the person I was before, so this confirms what I say to them, that the Holy Spirit is at work in me. That the life I live I now live it for Christ. I find it hard to talk about anything else but the power of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, how they can change lives and the amazing things they have done for me.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

Jesus's identity as the son of God is established by His Divine birth through the virgin Mary who conceived when the Holy Spirit overshadowed her.

Joseph, was reassured  by the Angel of the Lord not to be afraid to take the pregnant Mary home as wife, that she is conceived of the Holy Spirit. Mathew 1:20.

During Jesus baptism by John the baptise, the Holy Spirit descendef on Him and the voice of the Father was heard confirming  that Jesus is His beloved son and and that He was pleased with Him.

When we become born again the Spirit of God, that is the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in us, thus establishing our core identity as disciples of Jesus. 

• 9 months later...

I hadn't noticed how many references to the Holy Spirit were in the passages that dealt with Jesus' conception and birth -- thank you!

1.  This section starts out by noting that the OT prophetic passages about Jesus include Isaiah's description of the Holy Spirit "resting" on Jesus.

2.  Then, you mention that Mary's conception was due to the Holy Spirit in two ways: a) coming upon her, and b) bringing or giving her spiritual power.

3.  This made Jesus holy. Presumably, without the HS, Jesus would not be holy. It is, then, the spiritual origin of Jesus that makes him God/holy.

4.  That the relationship between God the father and Jesus the son is mediated, in some way I don't understand, by the HS

The centrality of the HS in the being of Jesus is much more clear to me now.

• 1 month later...

By (Angel) Gabriel's announcement and The Holy Spirit overshadowing Mary.

The choosing of Mary, a human virgin, not through procreation, to be The Mother and God to be The Father.

Through Mary, The Son would be human in every way but, through The Holy Spirit He would be sinless with His divine nature intact.

The Holy Spirit came upon me when I realized I needed to repent from living my way and desiring to live God's way. I believed in God but did not know Him until then. Changes followed.

Edited by Ludmila Kosenko

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus’ core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth?
From the very beginning with the conception of the Messiah through Mary. To the dream Joseph had with the Most High telling him to take Mary home as his wife because she was conceiving a child from the Holy Spirit. Right down to God confirming Yahshua is His son when He filled Him with the Holy Spirit when He was baptized.

I was filled with the Holy Spirit when I gave my life back to Christ. I believe He died for my sins and contoured death for me. Through Him I have healing and forgiveness of my sins. He is my rock, my savior, my healer, protector and provider. My Abba, my everything and I trust in Him and Him alone.

• 11 months later...

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth?

ANSWER: There are many ways that the Holy Spirit works in the lives of Christians, but they all share one common goal: to make us more like Jesus Christ. He works in believers by renewing our minds to be like the mind of Christ. He does this by convicting us of sin and leading us to repentance.

ANSWER: The Holy Spirit convicts us of our sin, comforts us, guides us, gives us spiritual gifts and the desire to obey God; and he enables us to pray and to understand God's Word. The Holy Spirit convicts us of our sin, and he enables us to pray and to understand God's Word.  Your identity should never be based on a hope or a guess. God gave us His Word, the Bible, so you can know Him and know who He is making you to be in Him. You are a member of His household, not a stranger. If you follow Christ, you belong in God’s household and with His people.

As a child of God, you are blessed and provided for. God is able to provide you with everything you need in Christ. He is the Owner of everything and the Giver of all good things. Humankind was created to reflect some of God’s attributes. You can look for your identity anywhere, but followers of Jesus are called to find their identity in Him.