JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Person or Power?

I believe that the Holy Spirit is a person because it makes it easier to relate to him. The Spirit reminds us when we are about to go off course, or reminds us when we are off course and tells us when we are on course. It is easy to refer to the Spirit as “it” rather than “Him” because we have never seen the Holy Spirit. In our society today we are not to pin a gender everything but everything is supposed to be of neutral gender.

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a)

Q. Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person?

A. Because he does functions that are beyond the ability of ''things'' and He is not just a force or power but has power. Furthermore, He is one of the Persons that make up the Trinity.

Q. What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do?

A. He appointed missionaries, spoke/ speaks, teaches, guides etc

Q. Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as "it" rather than "Him"?

A. When one thinks of Him as a force or power

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:11 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person? What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do? Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as “it” rather than “Him”?

Reasons why the Holy Spirit is a Person: (1) In John 14-16, Jesus' choice of pronoun referring to the Spirit carry a masculine gender. (2) The Spirit is attributed with a lot of roles and actions that only a personal being can perform.

In particular, He appoints missionaries, directs workers, speaks, corrects, teaches and comforts; He helps, sanctifies and testifies; He empowers and searches; He can be grieved, resisted or tempted.

It's easy to mistake the Spirit as "it" perhaps because we grew up associating it with an inanimate force. It may also be because the people who treated the Spirit as "it" never had a distinct and unmistakable encounter with the Spirit at all. To them, the Spirit is an abstract idea.

• 2 weeks later...

The Holy Spirit is a Person because Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as "He" (John 14:26  "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit...he will teach you all things"), and is referred to as "Him" indirectly, as many scriptures reference "the Holy Spirit...he..."

It's tempting to refer to any spirit as "It" because a spirit doesn't possess a body, thus it can't be identified as "he" or "she".  The Holy Spirit on the other hand is the third member of the Trinity, composed of God the Father and Jesus the Son.  It would follow that the HS would be identified as "He" versus "It".

The Holy Spirit performs innumerable functions that we see many people performing.  He teaches.  He guides.  He corrects.  He heals.  He reveals truth.  He comforts.  He does all of these and many, many more because He ministers to our spirit as well.  He saves our soul.  He convicts us of sin.  He intercedes for us when we don't know how to pray.  He steers us, cautions us and protects us from spiritual harm.  He gives us spiritual gifts that empower us to serve God in a supernatural capacity, in ways that are impossible for us to do simply in our own power.  He renews our minds and brings lasting change.  He gives peace unlike any that the world can offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person? What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do? Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as “it” rather than “Him”?

The scriptures makes it clear that the Holy Spirit is a person and not a force. In the creation account, He is mentioned as the one brooding over the darkness waiting for the spoken word (Jesus) to proceed from the Father. Jesus said that He would ask the Father to send another Comforter, someone who is just like Jesus. Jesus was a person on the earth and so is the Holy Spirit who is on the earth now with us as the Paraclete. During His earthly ministry, whenever Jesus did a miracle, we read that the people marveled and glorified God. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit’s ministry would be to glorify Jesus (John 16:14). And we also read that the Father was angry because “they vexed My Spirit”. Herein we see the love between the three persons in the trinity and how they are exalting the other person in the trinity. 

We see the Holy Spirit teaching, directing, correcting, comforting, guiding, sanctifying, empowering, being grieved, appointing missionaries and many more. When Ananias and Saphira lied, Peter declares that they have lied to the Holy Spirit. These make it clear that the Holy Spirit is a person and not a force. 

Because Holy Spirit does not have a name, but rather He is just called the Holy Spirit. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person? What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do? Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as “it” rather than “Him”?

We believe the Holy Spirit is a Person because there are numerous areas in the Bible that refers to the Holy Spirit sometimes with a neutral term but sometimes with the pronoun "He" and this is not a mistake because the Bible was written by God-inspired people so the pronouns wouldn't have slipped past but were put there for a reason to show the Holy Spirit is a Person.

There are many but a few are Him comforting us and Him glorifying Christ and testifying about Christ.

It is easy to refer to the Spirit as "it" because people never viewed the Holy Spirit as a Person but rather as an object or a force. But this is false because in the Bible there are numerous circumstances that shoe the Spirit should be referred to as "Him" since He is not some kind of force.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person? What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do? Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as "it" rather than "Him"?

From these verses, we see the Holy Spirit, when He comes (from Father as promised by Jesus), teaches , guides and will testify of Jesus. These are functions that we attribute to person and not power or force. 

Holy Spirit comforts, counsels, leads, guides, convicts, strenthens us and is a person, the third person in the Holy Trinity. These are functions attributed to person and not force or power. 

When you do not understand the Holy Spirit as a person, the third person in the trinity, then referral to Him will not be done in person but as “it”. There are even cults who do not believe in the Holy Trinity and refer Holy Spirit as active force or power.

But those who are convicted by the Holy Spirit always recognize Him as a person( in the trinity).

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person? What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do? Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as “it” rather than “Him”?

It is seen as a person because, the Spirit is referred to as a he in different Bible scriptures, you would not assign a gender to a force of power.  He Spirit can testify, teach, be lied to, be grieved, assign ministry, bear witness to the Christ and much more.  Because a lot of people still see the Spirit as a power and not a person.

• 4 weeks later...

Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person?

Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as He and has qualities of a person such as a helper and counselor.  The spirit advocates for us, is a helper and counselor.  Some find it difficult to see the Holy Spirit as a divine being and therefore refer to the Holy Spirit as "it".

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person?

On several occasions, John renders Jesus' words using the masculine pronoun, apparently to emphasize the Spirit's personhood.

What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do?

• The Holy Spirit appoints missionaries (Acts 13:2; 20:28),

• He leads and directs workers in their ministry (Acts 8:29; 10:19-20; 16:6-7; 1 Corinthians 2:13),

• He speaks through the prophets (Acts 1:16; 1 Peter 1:11-12; 2 Peter 1:21),

• He corrects (John 16:8),

• He comforts (Acts 9:31),

• He helps us in our infirmities (Romans 8:26),

• He teaches (John 14:26; 1 Corinthians 12:3),

• He guides (John 16:13),

• He sanctifies (Romans 15:16; 1 Corinthians 6:11),

• He testifies of Christ (John 15:26),

• He glorifies Christ (John 16:14),

• He empowers (Romans 15:13),

• He searches all things (Romans 11:33-34; 1 Corinthians 2:10-11),

• He works according to his own will (1 Corinthians 12:11),

• He dwells with saints (John 14:17),

• He can be grieved (Ephesians 4:30),

• He can be resisted (Acts 7:51), and He can be tempted (Acts 5:9).

Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as "it" rather than "Him"?
In John's Gospel the "Spirit" is often referred to by a neuter Greek pronoun, which you would expect, since the word pneuma has a neuter gender in Greek

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person?

On several occasions John uses the personal pronoun 'he' for the Holy Spirit. 

• The Holy Spirit appoints missionaries (Acts 13:2; 20:28),

• He leads and directs workers in their ministry (Acts 8:29; 10:19-20; 16:6-7; 1 Corinthians 2:13),

• He speaks through the prophets (Acts 1:16; 1 Peter 1:11-12; 2 Peter 1:21),

• He corrects (John 16:8),

• He comforts (Acts 9:31),

• He helps us in our infirmities (Romans 8:26),

• He teaches (John 14:26; 1 Corinthians 12:3),

• He guides (John 16:13),

• He sanctifies (Romans 15:16; 1 Corinthians 6:11),

• He testifies of Christ (John 15:26),

• He glorifies Christ (John 16:14),

• He empowers (Romans 15:13),

• He searches all things (Romans 11:33-34; 1 Corinthians 2:10-11),

• He works according to his own will (1 Corinthians 12:11),

• He dwells with saints (John 14:17),

• He can be grieved (Ephesians 4:30),

• He can be resisted (Acts 7:51), and

• He can be tempted (Acts 5:9).

Because in John's gospel the "Spirit" is often referred to by a neuter Greek pronoun, which you would expect, since the word pneuma has a neuter gender in Greek

• 6 months later...

The evident is clearly stated by the Holy Spirit that His action, and function as a person.

He will teach and remind you …He will testify, He will guide. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) The Holy Spirit appoints missionaries (Acts 13:2; 20:28),He leads and directs workers in their ministry (Acts 8:29; 10:19-20; 16:6-7; 1 Corinthians 2:13),He speaks through the prophets (Acts 1:16; 1 Peter 1:11-12; 2 Peter 1:21),He corrects (John 16:8),He comforts (Acts 9:31),He helps us in our infirmities (Romans 8:26),He sanctifies (Romans 15:16; 1 Corinthians 6:11),He testifies of Christ (John 15:26),He glorifies Christ (John 16:14),He empowers (Romans 15:13),He searches all things (Romans 11:33-34; 1 Corinthians 2:10-11),He works according to his own will (1 Corinthians 12:11),He dwells with saints (John 14:17),He can be grieved (Ephesians 4:30),He can be resisted (Acts 7:51), and He can be tempted (Acts 5:9).

A lack of study and knowledge. Listening to others instead of following the direction of God's Word.  

• 8 months later...
On 7/23/2018 at 1:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person? What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do?  Based on the notes, the Holy Spirit carries out duties of a physical person-- ministering, empowering, healing, etc.  I think we often make the mistake of seeing the literal defiition of Spirit as an unseen force but I think if he can assume an identity through living bodies, then he is a physical being, separate and apart from God the Father.

Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as “it” rather than “Him”? It's hard to say why people may refer to the Spirit as an "It." That sounds disrespectful and I personally wouldn't refer to the spirit by a gender neutral pronoun. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From the scriptures we see a solid evidence that the Holy Spirit is a distinct person in His own right since the masculine pronoun"He" is used to describe Him, emphasizing His personhood. He performs functions we attribute to personhood.

According to the Bible, the Holy Spirit leads, teaches, guides, indwells, comforts, speaks,corrects, helps, works, testifies, grieves, empowers and much more. All these are functions we attribute to personhood not impersonal forces.

It is easy for people to refer to the Holy Spirit as "it" because they do not understand Him and they do not know who He really is.

Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person?

Because just like Jesus, He was sent from the Father. All three work together. If Jesus was sending Him in His place He would have to be of similar character and mindset.

He is able to speak to and teach us. Comfort and correct us, Give us guidence, direction and advise.

Those who have not been filled with the Holy Spirit would see Him as some kind of invasive entity or external universal force, only.

I recall an occasion at work with my team leader who was a Christian. The day after I got saved, and filled with the Holy Spirt, I was booked in for supervision with her. I told her about everything that had happened the day before, how I heard the Gopel of Jesus Christ and believed in my heart, how I was changed instantly, how I was then brought to my knees in tears of repentance, and humbled in the presence of Our Holy Father and filled with the Holy Spirit of life. When I mentioned the Holy Spirit, she crindged and asked me how that felt, and asked if I didn't feel violated that something had entered my body. At that I experienced a mixture of emotions, shock and hurt, that she who claims to know the Lord would think that the Holy Spirit, who Jesus said He would ask the Father to send, violates our bodies in some way, and saddened that she has not yet experienced such an amazing feeling of love, power, and rebirth, that she has not felt the warm presence of Our Father radiating through her body and soul. I told her that it was not a violation, that I felt more alive now than I have done in my entire life, I could see she was still disgusted at the thought. ??

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 6 months later...

Q3

Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal  force or power , but a person?

In the bible whenever word spoken about Holy Spirit , He is referred to in personal form (He)

What kind of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do. He testifies and bear witness

Why is it so easy to reverse to the Spirit  as "it" rather than "Him"?

Not knowing and lack of understanding  of who the Holy Spirit is 

• 2 months later...

Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person? What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do? Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as “it” rather than “Him”?

First, I'm not a proponent of "gender neutral" language, but I do think it's odd you insist the HS is not an "it."  Pneuma, the word usually translated spirit/wind is gender neutral. The Spirit of God in Genesis is actually a feminine pronoun.  Now, Jesus is obviously male and God the FATHER is male, as well. So, I guess, by extension, since three-in-one, the HS is male, too?

I have no problem thinking of the HS as a person. Still, I do NOT think of "his gender" as part of being a person. Honestly, Jesus himself seems sorta sexless, though the Bible says he was tempted in ways similar to the temptations that all of us experience, which usually includes sex.

I think the reason we think of the Holy Spirit as an "it" is because of spiritual gifts. These gifts are not particularly masculine or feminine. I don't worry, that as I get closer to God, and become LIKE HIM, I'll become masculinized though I know people who claim that Christian faith feminizes men.

Nothing about the gender of the Godhead seems vital for my faith, though I agree with you, Sir, that thinking about the HS as a person is important. 

I'll work on just that: thinking of the HS as a person, like Christ. 

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Q3. John refers to the Holy Spirit as He , a person not a power. Unfortunately groups like the Jehovah Witnesses deny that the Holy Spirit is a divine being they strip away His personhood by referring to Him as God’s active force! The Holy Spirit comforts (Acts 9v 31), He teaches (John14v26), He guides (John16v13),He can be grieved ( Ephesians 4v30), He can be tempted (Acts 5 v9). The Holy Spirit can do everything humans can do and much more. If we refer to the Holy Spirit as ‘it’ , we are showing a lack of understanding of the status and role of the Holy Spirit. When we truly understand the Holy Spirit, we see Him as an equal partner of the Triune Godhead, three in one. Equal in status with different roles.