JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Greater Things

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers?

The benefit to the disciples would be two fold. They would receive salvation because of the redemptive work of Jesus on the cross and His resurrection would assure our resurrection. Moreover, Jesus going away would result in pouring out of His Holy Spirit whereby there would be a permanent indwelling of the Spirit in all believers.

John 14:12 says that the Spirit will empower the believers to do greater miracles than what Jesus Himself did. And we do see the impact of the far reaching greater miracles of Jesus through the ministry of the Holy Spirit using the believers being done in our days. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:13 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers?

Jesus's death will bring salvation to the world and then the Spirit will be sent to dwell in the disciples after Jesus goes away. They will be his witnesses unto the ends of the Earth and they will preach the good news.

Jesus promises us that the Holy Spirit will empower us and guide us and teach us in the ways that we should go. He will remind us of what Jesus has done and enable us to take after Him.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus death and resurrection has promised us eternal life in Him.

Jesus told His disciples that it is good for them that Jesus ascends to the Father in heaven. It is only after His ascension, that He can send them the promised Comforter or Counselor from the Father. And He will empower, guides, teach and remind all that Jesus taught them to do. 

And he that believes in Jesus will do all that Jesus did and greater things than these he will do, as Jesus is with the Father now. This is a great promise to all believers in Christ today.

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers?

First, through His death, they have redemption.  Also, they will do greater things but they had to wait for the Spirit to come and clothe them with power (receive the Spirit), before they could preach and teach.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away?

Jesus told the disciples, 'I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you."

What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers?

"I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away?

He will send the Holy Spirit to them.  If He doesn't go away, He can't send the Holy Spirit.  It is for their good that Jesus goes away so the Holy Spirit can come to them. 

What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers?

We will do the same works Jesus did and even greater works.

• 6 months later...

They would be filled with the Holy Spirit, the counselor.

"I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father." (John 14:12)

• 8 months later...
On 7/23/2018 at 1:13 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers? The belief is that the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus would help the world see the sacrifice God made in order to atone for the sin of the world. For this reason, Christ ascends to Heaven. The disciples would be left to carry on with the teaching, clothed with power and knowledge through the counselor, the Holy Spirit.  

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jesus going to the cross and being raised from the dead is God's plan for redemption and salvation of the disciples and the whole world. It was important that Jesus goes to the Father since He had a physical nature, and send the Holy Spirit so that Jesus would be present to the whole world through Him.

The Holy Spirit will be poured out on them after Jesus's crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension to empower His disciples for ministry.

In John 14 : 12 Jesus said "Anyone who has faith in me will do what i have been doing. He will do even greater things than these."

What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away?

Jesus will send The Helper

That we will be able to do great things, even greater than what Jesus did.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away?

Somehow, Jesus' departure is linked to the fullness of the HS on the disciples (and others). Those two events are correlated. Why couldn't the HS function when Jesus was on earth? Why does Jesus have to leave before the HS comes?

Whatever the reason for Jesus leaving before the Spirit comes, it's clear that Jesus saw his own "going away" as for their good. I'm not sure the passage suggests that the HS is for their good. I'm sorry but I don't see this. What I see is Jesus saying HIS OWN leaving is for their good.  When he goes, the HS will come.  Interestingly, in the translation you give, Jesus says "IF" I go, not "WHEN" I go.

What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers?

The HS empowers or makes possible to do greater things than He. It takes faith in Him to do greater things than He has done. 

The sequence in logic is this:

1) We must have great faith in Jesus.

2) The faith we have in Jesus enables us to do greater things "than these ..."

3) The reason why we're empowered to do these great things is that Jesus is going to the Father.

So, has anyone done anything greater than what Jesus did? Greater deeds? Greater miracles? I don't think so, but I've heard people talk about the dead rising and sick healed. I've heard personal testimonies of miracles. I just don't know what to think. I've heard but never seen. I have no first-hand proof or experience. 

I want the power of the HS in my life. If God chooses me to do "greater things" I hope to be ready and willing. 

Waiting for the spirit ... do we do this today?  Am I waiting for the Holy Spirit to give me His power so I can do what He asks me to do?

Maybe we re-live, in small measure and in our small lives, what happened at Pentecost.

If I want the power to do great things, I have to wait for the Holy Spirit to descend into me, to dwell with me. He has to make room for the Holy Spirit in me by burning some of the dross.

• 10 months later...