JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Greater Things

• 2 months later...

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away?

The benefits the disciples will receive will be the Holy Spirit who will  guide them in all truth.

What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers?
Whoever believes in Jesus will do the works he has done and greater things.

The disciples would benefit in 2 primary ways. The departure of Jesus would mean the gain of salvation and liberty from Law-keeping for themselves and the entire world. And it would usher the presence of the Spirit of God into their lives, not as a temporary empowerment but as a permanent indwelling. God in us would become reality for "whoever believes in Me".  Believers would now have direct spirit-to-Spirit access to the throne and heart of God. We would be sealed in a permanent relationship that will never end. And through the presence of the Spirit living in multitudes around the world who would come to faith, the works of the Spirit (the same works that Jesus did) would be greater and more far-reaching than those Jesus could do as one Man among them.

What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away?

John 16:6-7  I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you."

The benefit for their good and those receiving Christ is redemption; secondly as the lesson points out they as do those walking in the faith become empowered for ministry (He will never leave nor forsake as we abide).

What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers?

John 14:12 - Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. Meaning those adhering to the Spirit's leading in and of faith; abiding to His Will, will have the empowerment to server beyond the refines of a specific location. The Helper, Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby, Paraclete would aid and assist when/as need for His ministry, for His Glory.

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers?

1.  So that the counselor can come which is the Holy Spirit to lead and comfort them.

2.  Jesus said, “He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.”

They became empowered with the Holy Spirit and had tremendous impact on the world! They took the gospel of Jesus to far-off places and also left us the legacy of the New Testament. They used the training Jesus gave them to impact and encourage us in our faith.

Since Jesus dwells in us through the Holy Spirit, we, as believers, continue to spread God's words.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:13 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers?

a. The benefit of Jesus going away is that when He goes to the Father, He sends His Holy Spirit (another comforter - Jesus being the first one) to us.  The Helper would not be Jesus any more in the flesh but the miracle is that His Holy Spirit will be IN us, leading, guiding, helping, teaching, comforting us.  He would be like a friend that sticks closer  than a brother.

b. The promise that we as believers have is that he now sends us to do the work of God and even greater works because we have the Spirit of God within us and we are in partnership with God.  We have the Authority to Go........... He is the Power to do!  We have just got to believe the Word and Act on it.

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) 

Jesus’ leaving was necessary and beneficial to the disciples. Without His death, burial, resurrection, and Ascension there would have been no Salvation, since Atonement for sin was necessary for Jesus to save His people from their sins (Mat 1:21). And it was necessary for Jesus to go back to the Father, so that the promised Holy Spirit would come giving them eternal life (John 7:37-39), indwelling them (John 14:16-17), instructing them (John 14:26, empowering them, and giving them courage. In His concern for them He would not leave them without help and comfort. Jesus also promised (John 14:12) greater works will be done, not greater in power, but greater in extent. The disciples would indeed perform miraculous works, as Jesus had (Acts 5:12-16; Heb. 2:3-4), but Jesus was actually referring to the spiritual miracle of salvation that would spread throughout the world. They were to be witnesses to the end of the earth. At the same time, as an extra bonus, He would be seated at the right hand of the Father interceding on their and our behalf (Luke 22:69).

(John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away?

Jesus had to go away because it was part of God's plan for their redemption.  They Holy Spirit would not come to them until after his crucifixion and resurrection. 

What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers?

Those that believe will be empowered by the Holy Spirit to continue Jesus  ministry.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:13 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers?

The Holy Spirit will not only guide, encourage, teach, and remind them, as Jesus had done, but he will also empower them.

If we have faith in Jesus we will do greater things on this earth.

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers?

When Jesus goes away The Holy Spirit will come and minister to them. He will empower them to become witnesses for Jesus. He will teach, encourage, guide and remind them of things that Jesus said. We have the promise that we will do greater things than Jesus did because of our faith in Him. We have this power through the Holy Spirit within us. 

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away? What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers?

Jesus said that He must leave so that the Holy Spirit could come to them as what happened on the day of Pentecost. Also, the path to salvation for all people of the world was ushered in for those who believed in what Jesus did and who He was. The promise in John 14:12 is pretty much self-explanatory “, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.”(KJV)

Jesus' going to the cross and being raised from the dead is God's plan for the disciples' redemption, and that of the whole world, though this is unspoken here.

The Holy Spirit will be poured out on them after Jesus' crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension to empower his disciples for ministry.

The Holy Spirit will also convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgment as well.

That we will do even greater things than Jesus did.

Q4. (John 16:5-7; 14:12) What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away?

From the beginning of man's time GOD had a plan for us. Jesus' part as the 'suffering servant'  was now completed and upon His return to the Father He would then send the Holy Spirit to assist us in completing the next part of GOD's plan, for without the Holy Spirit's help and power it would not be possible. 

The timing was soon upon then as Pentecost ( the Feasts  of Weeks where all the Jews from around the world would be in Jerusalem ), where  GOD would get the greatest glory , it was then that the Holy Spirit would give birth to the Church as we now know it.  A Church of Jesus Christ filled with Power from above , with Wisdom , Knowledge and Understanding given to all who would freely receive by Faith.   With this power we would do Greater things then Jesus Himself ( and HE did alot, way too many to write down ) . Yup, GOD has a plan, and we are blessed to be a part of it because Jesus did go away. 

"I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father." (John 14:12)

a. The benefit for the disciple and the world is: Redemption and salvation, after, Christ ‘crucifixion, resurrection and ascension would the Holy Spirit be poured out on them.

b.  Jesus  promise his disciple, "...anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."(John 14:12

The benefit for the disciples will be the coming of the Comforter, the Holy Spirit who will be their guide to all truth, He will tell you what is to come (foretell the future) bring glory to Jesus, reveal what is of Christ, like the powers to heal to remove evil spirits and perform miracles.

The promise here from Jesus is that any believer will have the same powers that Jesus had and be able to do even greater things than Jesus when the Spirit’s power is in them.

Although the disciples had asked Jesus about his death, they had never wondered about its meaning. They were mostly concerned about themselves. If Jesus went away, what would become of them?

Unless Jesus did what he came to do, there would be no Good News. If he did not die, he could not remove our sins; he could not rise again and defeat death. If he did not go back to the Father, the Holy Spirit would not come. Christ’s presence on earth was limited to one place at a time. His leaving meant he could be present to the whole world through the Holy Spirit.

Three important tasks of the Holy Spirit are (1) convincing the world of its sin and calling it to repentance, (2) revealing the standard of God’s righteousness to anyone who believes, because Christ would no longer be physically present on earth, and (3) demonstrating Christ’s judgment over Satan.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

- John 16,5-7 The work of the Holy Spirit, Jesus goes to the Father, if Jesus not goes away than the Councelor will not comes to you.

What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers?

- Promise!!! Jesus the way to the Father prepares us to do like Him in Holy Spirit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Q-What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away?

Gospel Truths of Jesus Christ -The eternal PLAN of God the Father for salvation of man 

The return of Christ and coming of Holy Spirit (sending )on Christ return is part of Perfect Timing of Plan of Salvation for the lost Human Mind ------The redeeming act  of sacrifice and eternal comforter .

Summary 1. Christ is our Joy and Comfort -2.The Comforter is always With us ,In us and Goes before us 3.Prayer is the medium of communication to the Father  through His Son Jesus Christ aided  and anchored in Faith by the Holy Spirit.

Q-What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit’s power in believers?

The Promise in John 14:12  is an absolute Blessing and Favor.The promise here from Jesus is that any believer will have the same powers that Jesus had and be able to do even greater things than Jesus when the Spirit’s power is in them.

The works include  everything to  bring glory to God .It  reveals what it is to be Christlike....to proclaim the Gospel to all . convict the person of sin and need  of repentance (restoration) , powers to expel  evil spirit  and demonic dwelling in people and places ,and heal the sick . . Above all Holy Spirit help us proclaim Yahweh's  righteous judgement on earth and its inhabitants .

• 2 weeks later...

Benefits to the Disciples:

1. Jesus' going to the cross and being raised from the dead is God's plan for the disciples' redemption, and that of the whole world, though this is unspoken here.
  2. The Holy Spirit will be poured out on them after Jesus' crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension to empower his disciples for ministry.

Benefits to the Believers:

The Holy Spirit will not only guide, encourage, teach, and remind us,but he will also empower them.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:13 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4a: The handful of disciples had access to Jesus just about constantly, as they ate and drank and walked and worked with Him. During the time after He was crucified and before His Resurrection, they were suddenly alone, bereft, and terrified, already forgetting that He told them this was going to happen, and much more. Suddenly they were comforted and restored as first He appeared to them and then powerfully at Pentecost when Holy Spirit indwelt them.... now  they had constant access and fellowship with Him as well as His power and was available to live within each new disciple.

b. Jesus promises that anyone who steadfastly believes in Him will himself be empowered to do the things that He did, and even greater things....more far reaching. (Millions are now able to hear the Gospel preached through television, radio and other media, at one time! Jesus lived and traveled in a relatively small geographic area, as did the disciples, but now the entire world is being reached! (a new unknown tribe was just discovered several weeks ago in the Amazon Jungles as a drone circled and relayed pictures of this unknown people group! (Oct. 2018)  How amazing and wonderful is that!

• 1 month later...

. (John 16:5-7; 14:12)

Q. What benefit is there to the disciples that Jesus goes away?

A. His going to cross to die and to resurrect will bring salvation to world, furthermore, onnly after He has gone will the Holy Spirit be sent by the Father as requested by the returned Jesus Christ

Q. What promise do we have in John 14:12 concerning the Spirit's power in believers?

A. see text

“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.  (Joh 14:12)

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:13 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

After Jesus departs, the Spirit will be sent to dwell within the disciples. Therefore this is actually an advantage and blessing.

With the Spirit, we will have power to do even greater things than Jesus did!