JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Tongues, Prophecy, and Praise

On 7/23/2018 at 12:32 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Devout Christians differ on their understanding of these things. So please be gentle in your interchanges with each other on the Forum. You can disagree, but it must be expressed in love!

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially? What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren’t mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

I believe speaking in tongues.

If one is persistently a devout person of God and loves Christ above all things ,totally surrendered ,Gift of tongues or loosening of speech  and anointing of precious Holy Spirit does happen at worship and even in ardent prayer alone

.I do not come from a denomination that exalts the need to speak in  tongues .

I have a dilemma in judging or difficulty in having a strong opinion about tongues.and will refuse to make this a matter of debate as i commonly see ,esp against it .

Speaking in tongues MAY be one of the gifts the Holy Spirit gives.  In 1st Corinthians 12, Romans 12 and Ephesians 4, Paul lists many gifts: Wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, prophesy, tongues, teaching, miracles, administration.  All of these are the gifts the Spirit gives, but no one gift is given to all.  In verse 11, Paul says the Holy Spirit decides what gift is best for each person

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7)

Q. The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially?

A. Not really. The Holy Spirit can come upon a believer without the enablement of speaking in tongues. Every believer in Jesus Christ has one or more gifts of the Holy Spirit but not every believer has all the gifts and may not have the gift of speaking in tongues or prophesy.

Q. What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren't mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

A. Yes. Please see the b part of the answer in the first question above

No, the people don’t always speak in tongues and prophecy when they are baptized in the Holy Spirit. We are all filled with the Holy Spirit when we are baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. We are all given spiritual gifts but are not all given the gift of tongues or prophecy. But the gifts that we are given are just as important and necessary for body of believers.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:32 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Devout Christians differ on their understanding of these things. So please be gentle in your interchanges with each other on the Forum. You can disagree, but it must be expressed in love!

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially? What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren’t mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

It is logically impossible to argue for a definitive "always" from a few records, since it is never possible to have records of ALL fillings in ALL of history. Nevertheless, the tone of the verses imply to me that the coming of the Spirit "often", if not "always", carries visible signs like speaking in tongues and prophecy.

If you think that when tongues aren't mentioned then surely those saved people did not speak in tongues, your proof by silence is a weak argument. To illustrate this argument, does it mean that if those verses did not state they were baptized in water they must have skipped water baptism as well? Or does it mean that since the New Testament did not mention how the sun rose and set every day, then the sun must have stopped rising and setting since Jesus came? This argument from silence is truly ridiculous. When God inspires a Scripture passage to be written, He can mention something in order to emphasize it, or omit it in order to emphasize something else, but it doesn't prove that thing never occurred.

So I think those people were probably filled with the Spirit too.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't believe that the Holy Spirit always manifests Himself by way of speaking in tongues when He enters a person at the time of salvation.  If this were the case, many believers would doubt their salvation because they (myself included) did not speak in tongues at the point of salvation.  If this were required evidence of salvation, I could see a lot of man-inspired tongues being uttered as "proof".  A changed life is the proof of one's salvation and the filling of the Spirit, because it's only by the power of the Spirit that one's life can be changed from sin and enslavement to freedom and righteous living.

Ecstatic utterances, private prayer language, and tongues are all in evidence today, but not all of them in all persons at all times.  I have not spoken in tongues, but I have broken out in ecstatic speech during times of deep praise and worship, and I also enter times when I speak in a private prayer language.  I don't expect this of every believer.  I cherish this manifestation of the Holy Spirit in my personal life because it edifies my spirit and draws me closer to my Lord, but I don't consider it a necessary proof of my salvation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially? What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren't mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

I believe there are three relationships that the Holy Spirit can have with a believer. He is “with” us when we are convicted of our need to be born again. He is “in” us the moment we open our heart to the Savior. He “comes upon” when He empowers us for service. For a person, to believe in Jesus Christ, the presence of the Holy Spirit has to be with him. For it is the Spirit who convicts us of sin, righteousness and judgement (John 16:8). Also it is the Holy Spirit who baptizes us into the body of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 12:13). Then it is said about Jesus that He will baptize us with Holy Spirit and fire. I find this interesting that the Holy Spirit baptizes us into His body and I believe that it happens at salvation (and He takes us residence in our lives) and Jesus baptizes us with His Holy Spirit, empowering us for His service. When He makes His indwelling in our lives, it is not necessary that it has to be accompanied by speaking in tongues. Tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit and definitely helping us to pray to God in a way that will edify us and worship Him perfectly. Personally I received this gift a couple of years after I received Him into my life as my Savior and Lord. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:32 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

He may not always come like that, but He often does. When a believer accepts Christ, God pours out His Holy Spirit on them and fills them. When the time is right or God wants to work through the believer, the Holy Spirit comes upon them and they start to prophesy.

The people saved in the New Testament are also filled with the Holy Spirit. When a new believer accepts Jesus and then receives the Holy Spirit into their lives, then the Holy Spirit starts working through them.

• 3 weeks later...

The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers. There is no specific order to receive Holy Spirit after water baptism, it can also be before water baptism. Some also receive baptism of the Holy Spirit when they wait upon the Lord without the laying of hands. The pouring of the Holy Spirit is to ensure the new believers are empowered and at the same time is a witness of His promise released upon His people as prophesied.

The instances where people are saved and tongues are not mentioned, I am sure that they would have received the gift of the Holy Spirit though it is not recorded for all instances. As written by John, if all the instances were recorded, then this bible would not have been enough. As prophesied in Old Testament, as promised by Jesus and as practiced by apostles, we believe that new believers all over the world today and then receive the gift of the Holy Spirit without any doubt. Because His word and His promises are Yes and Amen. 

• 8 months later...

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially?

According to said scripture, He does not.

What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren't mentioned?

On occasion such as Paul’s receiving the Spirit Acts 9:17-18,no mention of tongues here, Samaria is another (Acts 8 ) also Paul planted dozens of churches, yet not all mention that they spoke in tongue. he did no

Are they filled with the Spirit also?

No. Acts 19:1-7 these disciples believed and was baptized unto John’s baptism, baptism of repentance. they had not heard of the Holy Spirit until Paul filled them in on detail of Jesus’s death, burier, resurrection and ascension.

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially?

According to said scripture, He does not.

What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren't mentioned?

In the New Testament,the synoptic gospels supports Baptize with the Holy Spirit, Matthew 3:11;Mark 1:8 Luke 3:16; John 1:33), Clothe with power from on high Luke 29:49), Give (Luke 11:13; John 7:39;!4:17), Receive  (John 7:39;20:22)and Send  (John 14:26;15:23)  Also, when Paul  receive the Spirit  in Acts 9:17-18, Samaria  (Acts 8).  Paul planted dozens of churches, yet not all mention that they spoke in tongues. 

No. Acts 19:1-7 these disciples believed and was baptized unto John’s baptism, baptism of repentance. they had not heard of the Holy Spirit until Paul filled them in on detail of Jesus’s death, bury, resurrection and ascension.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

No, the Holy Spirit does not always initially come accompanied by speaking in tongues and prophecy. The Bible does'nt record speaking in tongues every time a person or groups receives the Spirit at conversion. Paul's own receiving of the Spirit is one example.( Acts 9:17-18) and Samaria( Acts ? Again the bible only mentions a few incidents where receiving the Spirit with speaking in tongues occured when Paul lead his converts into baptism whilst planting churches.

Usually people are expected to receive the Holy Spirit when they first believe. However according to Acts 19 : 1-7 when Paul met some disciples at Ephesus and upon enquiries learnt that they had only received John's baptism of repentance and had not receive any teachings about Jesus or the Holy Spirit.

They were not filled with the Holy Spirit. So Paul explains about Jesus, they believed and he baptizes them. Then he lays his hands on them and the Holy Spirit came on them.

I personally believe that people who believed in Jesus and are saved are filled with the Holy Spirit even though they may not speak in tongues initially. I also believe that speaking in tongues sometimes can be activated by praying for the saved believer.

Again the saved believer in Jesus can receive the speaking of tongues by act of faith and praying all by themselves even in their own homes.

The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4).

Does He always come like this initially?

As I received Jesus, people in the room said I was humming and it sounded angelic, but I have no recollection of this. As I was being filled with the Holy Spirit there was a distinct groaning/humming. No tongues as such, at that moment, but I knew I was in the presence of the Great I AM, there was warmth, Love, freedom, peace, rest, comfort, and joy, all I wanted to do was dance, a definite conversion from death to life.

After my conversion there was no earthly support for me, just me and my Heavenly Father. I would go to bed and fall asleep repeating the Lords prayer, because that was all I knew. There was an amazing sence of the Lord laying next to me and me placing my head on His chest, which was soothing and comforting. Those early days were filled with prompts and nudges of certain literature I was directed to read and one of them was (Tongues: Beyond the Upper Room by Kenneth E. Hagin). Once I understood what it was, what it was for, I wanted it, so I asked Father for it and it was given to me. Hallelujah thank you Lord ???

In Acts 8 the people of Samaria received the Word and believed yet the Holy Spirit had not yet fallen on them, it was only when Peter and John went and placed their hands on them that they received the Holy Spirit, but there was no mention of tongues, but there must have been some sort of sign to confirmed they had received Him.

I believe there are many people then and today who have accepted the Word, accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour, ie said the sinners prayer, but sadly have not received the gift of the infilling of the Holy Spirit as yet.

Love and Blessing to you all.. xx

• 8 months later...

The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially? What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren’t mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

No, people don't have to speak in tongues to be saved, or is it needed as "proof" of salvation, but why wouldn't anyone want to speak in tongues? Or prophecy? Or manifest any of the gifts of the spirit? If it's available to me, I want it. 

We have many more biblical verses that describe speaking in tongues than we do on, say, on the trinity, yet I don't see a lot of contemporary argument over the trinity. There's something about the gifts of the Holy Spirit that's divisive.

I do not speak in tongues. I want to. It hasn't happened. I do not think my salvation is abrogated or threatened by the lack of this gift, but I do think that my spiritual growth may be hindered as well as my capacity to be used to serve others.

• 1 year later...

Q3. No the two incidents described in Caesarea and Ephesus are unusual and not what normally happens but I know God can use the time of conversion to bring about whatever He sees fit and right for the occasion.. There are many Christians including myself who have never spoken in tongues. We are still in-dwelt by the Holy Spirit.