JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Happiness Because of Persecution

If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?

It says they accept us and nothing about us is convicting. It says that we are like them and they see us as having nothing to offer them. They compare their lives to ours and so no real difference and do not react toward us. If we are persecuted they then know that we are different and live a life dedicated to a higher standard in Jesus. Persecution means that we are not offering an easy believism. That they cannot just live anyway they want and that is acceptable.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are not suffering maybe its because we are no threat to the status quo of the world. And there is plenty of persecutuion going on in America right now of Christians. Some stand alone because others will not stand with them. They are to worried about their jobs careers etc. Will not God take care of them. Do what you should and leave the consequences to God. As far as any rewards go anythng I get belongs to Him because without Him I have no strength and " my faith at best is weak. He whispers words of comfort that no other voice can speak."

God Bless,

Jen

If a Christian is not being persecuted, that says to me, that person is not out in the thick of the world showing mercy to people battered by adversity and sin and assuming their role as peacemaker. I would imagine that any person would recognize a person of God who is in direct opposition to the world system. When you have the values and standards of Jesus Christ you are in direct opposition to the commonly accepted values of the world system. Because of your identification with Christ you will be persecuted. So if your not being persecuted you're not in the thick of things being an uncommon person. People will view you as just common, of the world, if you don't represent Christ with those uncommon values and standards. Persecution should make us happy because it is completely contrary to the worlds' way of thinking! Stott said "it is a token of genuineness, a certificate of Christian authenticity." As the Scripture says in Acts 5:40-41, after the apostles were flogged and ordered to speak no more in the name of Jesus, "So they went on their way from the Sanhedrin, rejoicing that they had been considered worthy to suffer shame for His name." When I am persecuted I'm happy that Christ considers me worthy to suffer shame for His name. The world just doesn't understand that.

• 2 months later...
Q3. (4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?

If we as Christians are never rebuked by the way's of the world, then that tell's me that there is really no change and people don't see you as a threat to their lifestyle.

Winning the trials through persecution, or rejection, makes for the Joy unspeakable; as God's Character is being built up in us.

• 2 weeks later...

Just because we are not persecuted does not mean that we are bad. It may be a sign that you need to work on expressing your love for God more openly. Try to bring more people to know Jesus Christ. We should find happiness in persecution by knowing that we are loved by God and that we are here serving him.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

If we are never persecuted by other people that tells us and them that Christians are NO different then anyone else.

Knowing that we are fulfilling Gods will for our lives and know that no matter what persecution we face we will remain faithful to God brings us joy and glory and honour to His name. We know that we will recieve a reward for this in heaven.

• 1 year later...

If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?

If we never find ourselves confrontational circumstances as a result of our Christian beliefs, it must imply that we have never sought to witness our faith to unbelievers, which is an essential part of being a disciple of Jesus. If we do not do this it must appear that whatever we believe in does not assume great importance. What can be more important than our salvation and justification with God? If you have witnessed and handed out tracts in places where there is little evidence of a Christian way of life, you will have been certainly been confronted in a hostile manner and possibly attacked. I have been punched in the face and had my glasses broken when witnessing on a council estate. No, I did not like it but I knew that I was doing the right thing. Luckily a friend came to my rescue. To any one who was looking it showed my determination and my belief (and my friend's). Spreading the Good News is a duty. It is a pleasure. It can be very rewarding. To be effective it must be spread everywhere, even the most unlikely places. That may present dangers but it is worth it.

• 5 months later...

:) If we are never persecuted, it must mean that we are doing something wrong. The student is never greater than the teacher. Christ suffered and was persecuted and if we are indeed part of the body, then we too must face persecution.

Being persecuted let us know and brings us joy and happiness; because than we know that we are joined with Christ.

• 7 months later...

If we are never persecuted, on some level, we are not living out our Christianity. Actively ministering for Jesus Christ in word and deed in the community will bring a negative respond (at whatever level), from those who don't value the gospel, Jesus' teachings, and ministry beyond the walls of any given church.

An observation that I have made in the community I live is that some of the worse persecution of Christians comes from other so called Christians who do not want to actively serve the Lord.

• 9 months later...

We do not stand apart from the world if we are not persecuted. People would view us with no special distinction. We should be happy to be persecuted because that means we're walking our talk. We should aslo feel priviledged to be persecuted as an heir of Christ.

Q3. (4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us? In what way should persecution make us happy?

1) If we are never persecuted, that can only mean that people view us as one of them! This should never be so because we are called to NOT conform to the pattern of this world. If we are obedient to Christ and His royal law of love and are letting our light shine, then we can be certain that we will experience persecution because of the gospel and righteousness because a student is not greater than his Master. This is a promise from the One who cannot lie and has the power to fulfill all His promises. Therefore, if anyone is not persecuted in this world, let him be obedient to the One who has the power to destroy not only our bodys, but also our souls in hell!

2) When we are persecuted because of Christ in us, we should rejoice and be glad because great is our reward in heaven (Mathew 5:11-12) - and that great reward is those who persecuted us! That's right, in the same way that the people who previously persecuted Jesus later repented unto salvation, so too will those who persecute us if we hold on to our faith and perservere through the persecution in love like a good soldier of Christ.

• 2 months later...

If we are never persecuted then we are being a hidden christian and not showing our Christ life and living for Him. People will not see the who and what we really are. We must be bold and speak the gospel where ever we are led by the Spirit no matter how we are treated.

" A man's devotion to a principle can be measured by his willingness to suffer for it; therefore, any kind of persecution is a test of a man's faith. But it is equally true that it is only the real Christian who will be persecuted. the Christian who compromises with the world will not be persecuted. In a double sense persecution is the test of the reality of a man's faith."

That's why Peter was rejoicing when he and John were flogged. They realized that their faith was true and that the grace of God was really with them and that the truth that Jesus gave them, that He would never leave not forsake them, was true. They new they belong to Him and that He was their God and protector.

Peter goes as far as to say in our text: ( 1st Peter 4: 14 ) " If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and God rests on you."

Here Peter explains that most persecution comes in the form of verbal abuse rather than physical abuse. To be insulted carries with it the idea that someone wants to put you down because of your faith in Christ.

But in these times, as well as the times in which Peter wrote, as we are willing to love and serve God, there will always be people who will try and discredit what God is doing in this world through the lives of His people.

Many Christians who live their faith in the real world, instead of trying to hide it in the closet, will eventually run into someone who wants to put them down or make fun of them or try and create doubts concerning their faith and the God who gave them life through Christ.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.ph...;f=41&t=183

It is so easy to follow the way of the world and as long as we conform to their standards, we will not be persecuted by them. We ought to be happy when we are persecuted for standing up for Christ. We know we are doing His will when people in the world don't like it. He, that is Christ, has turned the world's ways upside down as He did when he taught and walked here. Just as He accepted His persecution, so should we.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They don't view us as Godly they don,t see Jesus in us. They only see another person like any other.

We should be happy because were doing whats right in the Lord. People can see a difference in us and long for what we have. We know we are on of God's children and doing the right things.

• 2 weeks later...

As a Christian I should be standing from the world and showing them a different way of living. This is not in what I say, but how I act.

If I am not prepared to join in with the gossip, dirty jokes and back stabbing of the office. If I am not prepared to fiddle my expenses or I hand back the extra when given too much change in a shop, I am not blending in and will therefore experience some form of persecution even if i am only called a fool.

A BLENDED IN 'CHRISTIAN' IS NO DIFFERENT FROM A WORLDLY PERSON. THEY ARE NO THREAT TO SATAN SO WILL BE IGNORED AND WON'T BE PERSECUTED.

• 8 months later...

I believe that if when we find ourselves in this situation we should seriously look at the way we are portraying ourselves to the general public, are we in fact proclaiming the gospel? Are we perhaps surrounding ourselves completely with others who believe what we do (Christians) so as to avoid persecution?

The statement above may seem somewhat strange but I believe that there are times when we as Christians get so caught up in our own little worlds, all nice and snug, we end up preaching and discussing the gospel among ourselves forgetting the world out there.

If all the insults have dried up, stop and re-evaluate your walk with the Lord.

If we are not persecuted they will not see Christ, they will just think we are like them, like the world. It should make us happy because we are sharing Christ, we are becoming like Him. We should be happy because we have the Holy Spirit to help us.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Q3. (4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us?

It could mean that people don't view us as being any different to them and therefore aren't threatened by our spirituality. It's only when we make someone feel guilty about how they live their lives that they feel they need to strike out against us in the form of persecution.

So, should we set up a soap box on the street corner and preach to the passers by to attract persecution? I'm not gonna do that.

In what way should persecution make us happy?

If it comes our way and if we're persecuted for the right reasons . . . because we're imitators or Christ . . . then it's an encouraging sign that we're on the right track.

Q3. (4:14) If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us?

It could mean that people don't view us as being any different to them and therefore aren't threatened by our spirituality. It's only when we make someone feel guilty about how they live their lives that they feel they need to strike out against us in the form of persecution.

So, should we set up a soap box on the street corner and preach to the passers by to attract persecution? I'm not gonna do that.

If it comes our way and if we're persecuted for the right reasons . . . because we're imitators or Christ . . . then it's an encouraging sign that we're on the right track.

• 6 months later...

If we are never persecuted, what does that say about how people view us?

This says that people see us as one of them. It speaks about a life that is so conformed to the ways of the world that noone sees the need to challenge it.In this case we are certainly not a threat to the enemy.

Persecution reminds us that we are in good company; that of Christ and other believers. That should make us happy.

• 8 months later...

3a)Non Christians may think our faith is untested by hard times, and we may appear holier than though without evidence to show that Christ’s presence in us can make any difference. b)I am happy when persecuted when it gives me more opportunities to share my hope in Jesus, and the difference his comfort, peace and hope gives me. It allows me opportunities to show that I won’t react to harsh words,in an angry way, because, I can bring my feelings of hurt to Jesus, and he will give me the ability to stay calm,be more self-controlled and gentle in my response.I’m also happy that these are seeds that can soften people’s hearts,helping them to be more open to salvation