JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Resisting Goads

(Acts 9:4-5; 26:14) Why does persecuting Christ's people constitute persecuting Christ himself?

When you are persecuting Christ's people, you are persecuting Christ.

What kinds of goads or prods have you seen God use on you to move you along Christ's path?

God has used my conscience to move me along. 

When you "kick against the goads" is it harder on you or on God?

I believe it is harder on God.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/28/2019 at 6:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Acts 9:4-5; 26:14) Why does persecuting Christ's people constitute persecuting Christ himself? What kinds of goads or prods have you seen God use on you to move you along Christ's path? When you "kick against the goads" is it harder on you or on God?

Christ's people are new creatures. Any persecution again them is persecuting Christ himself. On a peraonal ground my marriage is the goads that God used in drawing me more and refining me to better relationships 

Q1. (Acts 9:4-5; 26:14)

Q. Why does persecuting Christ's people constitute persecuting Christ himself?

A. Christians are the body of Christ. Persecuting them is persecuting Christ Himself

Q. What kinds of goads or prods have you seen God use on you to move you along Christ's path?

A. I think God has used failures or even sickness to draw me closer to Him or to slow me down on the path of worldly  pursuit of THINGS

Q. When you "kick against the goads" is it harder on you or on God?

A. On me of course

Everyday God is showing his mercy and power. In my case , it was many events that happens almost at the time that made me to run to his protection and he continuous pushing us with love , Every time when we going through something and  we are still believe on his promises we move to another level , we are starting living the glory and glory 

Because we are One with Him, we are In Christ because of our belief and faith in Him and His Shed Blood that was for our atonement, He rescued us, and we are His.  It would pain HIM because He sees what the cause is that leads to Him having to help us along to stay on the right path.  Conviction by the Holy spirit in me puts me on the correct way to go to repent and move along. 

Q1. (Acts 9:4-5; 26:14) 
Why does persecuting Christ's people constitute persecuting Christ Himself? 
What kinds of goads or prods have you seen God use on you to move you along Christ's path? 

Jesus mentions twice that Saul has been persecuting Him - directly accusing him of what he has been doing to believers, he has committed against Jesus Himself. Jesus specifically mentions “Me” and not “My Church”, declaring that all true believers are united to Christ by faith. We are the body of Christ and there is perfect union of Christians in Christ. We note that Paul had learned this lesson, as he acknowledges this repeatedly in his letters (1 Cor 15:9; Gal 1:13; Gal 1:23; Phil 3:6). Any injustice done to Christian believers here on earth, is an injustice done to Jesus, and is felt by our Lord in heaven.
God has many ways to goad or prod us, but in my experience, He would rather prefer to use gentler means that are available. I suppose that if we are very stubborn He might be forced to use more extreme measures to get our attention. God has been very gracious to me during my life. I can remember Him showing me His way by disrupting my normal routine, and thereby getting my attention. Also, He has humbled me when I become prideful - reminding me that it is not all about me - and that apart from Him, I’m nothing. Any success I may have achieved is due to His grace and mercy and nothing else. Often the trouble is of our own making, being the result of our own foolish choices. If we don’t listen, or don’t submit to His will the result will be harder on us than on God, but I do feel that our Heavenly Father like any good earthy Father feels our hurt as well. 

A.  Why does persecuting Christ's people Constitute persecuting Christ Himself?   When you persecute Christ you are trying to shame and degrade His people and to refute His Words.  We as Christ's people are like embryos growing, just like the disciples in the Bible days; stronger and more confident daily in our faith and convictions. Just like the disciples being persecuted for their beliefs.  They had first hand and on site knowledge that Jesus was "the son of The living God."  Through them He established His church (Matthews 16:13-19) and we are engrafted in Him.  Therefore, we become like Him doing the will of The Father and when Christ' people are being persecuted you are persecuting Christ Himself because we represent Him, like He represented His Father.  He is the foundation on which everything and everyone is built and like the disciples was empowered with power from on high, we too are empowered to profess Christ and impact the world just like the disciples.   

B.  What kind of goads or prods have you seen God use on you to move you along Christ path?   Truthfulness and faithfulness when broken shatters and hurts those involved and lead you off the path of Christ (Righteousness).  Hurt and hostility result and can manifest itself in negative ways   But the way of Christ can mend brokenness and hostility 

C.  When you "kick against the goads" is it harder on you or God?    I believe it's harder on me because when God wants something done His will will be done. Whether, you do it or someone else do it and you put yourself in jeopardy.  Hopefully not as bad as Jonah, because we suffer the consequences of working against God.  It grieves God because He knows what we are going to face for our actions.

Edited by pearl123
I thought about God being grieved when man fail

Question 1:  When we become disciples of Christ, we are one with Christ, that means He is in us and we are in Him.  Therefore, when we are persecuted, Christ also is persecuted.

B:  I am human with many flaws, even though, I'm cleanse by the blood of Jesus, I'm still making mistakes and yes, Jesus had to prompt me.  When I receive the messages by the Holy Spirit, I don't respond quickly, sorry to say, but eventually I do by repenting and confessing.

It hurts Christ more when I stray but thank goodness for his grace and mercy.  He died for me and he will move heaven and earth to bring back into full relationship with Him.

Q1. (Acts 9:4-5; 26:14) Why does persecuting Christ's people constitute persecuting Christ himself? What kinds of goads or prods have you seen God use on you to move you along Christ's path? When you "kick against the goads" is it harder on you or on God?

When anyone persecutes the church or even a pastor they are persecuting the King of Kings and Lord and Lords who died at Calvary on the cross. When I think about that I have seen how people persecute me and I think they do it because i am a Christian and I am not of this world. The goads or prods He has used on me are a current Bible study which showed me that I had many idols that I had to rid myself of. God took them from me and now I am spiritually awakened and He is using me for His benefit. When I kick against them; it is harder on me but it hurts him to see me to do it.

When we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, the Spirit of God dwells inside of the believer.  Therefore, the devil is persecuting Christ.   A good example is when God told Samuel do not worry about the people that was coming up against him.  God spoke to Samuel "the people are really coming up against Him."  I had left my church and God would not let me rest or have any peace.  I knew I had to return to the church to get back on Christ's path for my life.  I feel it hurts us because you have to start all over to get back into your rightful position and relationship with God.  My spiritual imagination tells me that God does have a conversation with Jesus who intercedes for us about how we kick against the goads. God is so merciful that He restores us.

Children of God (believers) constitute the Body of Christ, and this means that if we are being persecuted, then Christ is persecuted as well.   God has used many different means over my lifetime to move me along His path.  Some, but not all are disciplinary in a negative sense.  "Getting caught" was very effective in keeping me out of bad lifestyle habits.  Good teachers that offered rewards, and praise in general for building good Bible study habits was effective in spurring me toward spiritual growth.  I had my own personal encounter with the Lord while in college, and I came away from it committed for life to following Him with everything I have.  I think that particular experience -- a first-hand experience of God's love and personal attention to me, is what keeps me moving along God's path.  I grow weary from time to time and it hurts me, but I never doubt that He is with me and is strengthening me.  I have endured years of chronic illness, and it's only through His love and enduring favor on me that I have maintained strength and courage. 

On 8/28/2019 at 1:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Because we are united with Christ, we are the body of Christ.  Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me (Matt. 25:40)  

2. Letting me know I am watching too much news or TV and not spending that time with Him or in the Word.

3. Harder on me because I don't receive the blessing that I would have gotten and other things that are not of the Lord creep into my life.

1.Matt 5:10 "Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Two key points here: righteousness & "kingdom of heaven". The righteousness is Jesus. It reflects the relationship between believers and Jesus. 

2. What kind of goads? Unsuccessful might be one of those. Unless we obeyed to God and Holy Spirit we, Christians, might not be successful in every aspect. There might be a temporary success which is not blessing us and made us a blessing for the nation.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When we accept Christ as savior we become part of his church and we are indwelt with the holy spirit. When we are  being persecuted he is being persecuted also. Living in this chaotic world there are lot's of things to keep are minds occupied and remove our interest and love off of Christ. When things get me down and burdened the Lord goads me by his spirit to remind me that I am to rely on him for guidance and the love he has for me. Kicking against the goad is harder for me because I am usually going on my own will instead of his.  

Persecuting the Church means persecuting Christ himself because as seen from scripture, the 'Church' is essentially the 'body' of Christ. [Eph 5:31-32, Matt 25: 40, 45].

The specific 'goad' I see that God has used to bring me into, and keep me in Christ is that of 'Disappointments'. Only in hind sight I begin to see such letdowns as God's providences to keep me from straying, and then I thank Him for keeping me.

Kicking against the goads is hard only on man, not God. The earlier we respond to His LOVE, the better life for us!

Q1. (Acts 9:4-5; 26:14) Why does persecuting Christ's people constitute persecuting Christ himself?

1. Christian are God’s spiritual temple, those that persecute His temple (Christian) are persecuting Him. Therefore, an attack on the body, likewise is an attack on Him.

2. What kinds of goads or prods have you seen God use on you to move you along Christ's path? God’s Word. “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two- edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart”. Hebrews 4:12

It’s harder on the individual resisting the creator’s call to salvation. It’s because of His love that uses the goads.

Sometimes we can become stubborn like a donkey and refuse to walk towards the path God has for us. That is why the Lord will discipline you in a way that you may see the light and remove you from your comfort zone. It’s not easy, but God will never leave you no forsake you. When anyone persecute the children of God they are really persecuting the Lord Himself. God used Ananias to opened the way for the Lord to-use him as the powerful man he became to do the work of the Lord. 

Persecuting christians is like persecuting Christ because we are his people. Saul may have thought that by stamping out Christianity in Damascus, he could prevent its spread to other areas as well because he did not like christians.

Saul thought he was pursuing heretics, but he was persecuting Jesus himself. Anyone who persecutes believers today is also guilty of persecuting Jesus, because believers are the body of Christ on earth.

Faith in Christ brings great blessings but often great suffering, too. Paul would suffer for his faith. God calls us to commitment, not to comfort. He promises to be with us through suffering and hardship, not to spare us from them.

The church is one body but many members and Christ is the head of the body.  When Christians are persecuted Christ is attacked as well.  When it comes to goads used by Christ on me.  I know that God was speaking to me at a very early age that is trying to get my attention.  In my 30's I survived 3 strokes with no defects.  After the 3rd one God spoke to me through His word while walking through the Tony Evans series "Kingdom Man".  I gave God my whole heart from that moment.

I like what Pastor Ralph said about the church not being a mere physical body but Spiritual. Christ glorified is Spiritual no more physical therefore His excellency is shared with the church. And that is an indication that the church is United with its Master who defends it and protects it and guides it by His Holy spirit. So Jesus intercedes for His church and whoever frustrates the church is causing setbacks for the progress of the church. 

Christ is not limited nor affected by the sin of mere men. But He intervenes to reveal His glory as He did with Paul.

The goads I can relate to as things that hinder me from doing God's work. One major obstacle is low self-esteem and lack of confidence. And people around just make me feel unworthy and unqualified. As to available to serve God oh yes I accepted the path to work for God but the right time is still in process I believe. I have more training and experience to gain before overcoming these inner obstacles. 

1. When Christians are persecuted, it is Christ that is being persecuted because his holy spirit dwells in them.

2. He lets me see what I have done wrong and that he does not agree with it.

3. It is harder on me, even though it grieves God.

It hurts Jesus Christ.

When God goads us and we resist, continue to go the other way than we were supposed to, it hurts Him. 

I teach Sunday school children in my church. In 2015, I quit my job and decided to relocate to another city and become an entrepreneur. I was only able to get with people in the ministry and no matter how hard I tried, I didn't succeed in what I wanted to achieve. And whenever I tried to get involved in the ministry, God put me with the right people at the right time. 

I resisted the urge of returning back for 3 years and came back to the same city and started doing what I did before relocating. 

Now I feel like I resisted the goads for three years and finally understood the purpose and the place of calling. 

I also understand that if God puts us in a place or a situation, He would have already kept the doors open and help us see the positive result. 

We are all born of Christ, so what ever we do to another we do to Him. In situations where we do not show 'Christ' like love to another we are stepping outside being of Christ, stepping away from Him and acting in our own strength and reasoning. Un-Christ-like behaviour persecutes offends another but also the God within; resulting in a God who sees and knows all that an individual does.

Goads, tend to be gentle reminders that something needs attending to, and tend to re-occur until they have been tended. Inevitably goads lead me to where God is wanting me to be or they bring clarity of understanding that provokes a response.  

Heb. malmad, only in Judges 3: : 31 ), an instrument used by ploughmen for guiding their oxen. Shamgar slew six hundred Philistines with an ox-goad. "The goad is a formidable weapon. It is sometimes ten feet long, and has a sharp point. We could now see that the feat of Shamgar was not so very wonderful as some have been accustomed to think."   from  BibleStudyTools.com

In the NT Story, Jesus is asking Paul this question about "kicking against the goads," like an animal would upon feeling those sharp jabs in their ribs or hind quarters. Basically, this translates for all us humans as to why we all tend to fight againist God's Image-like conscience within our minds when we knowingly and willfully choose to sin, so much so we become addicted. And I speak from experience as I was addicted to sexually related sins for almost all my life, starting with *********** and on and on, until it jepordized my marriage. 

I'm thinking Paul suffered  the same kind of goading while he was being trained by his highly paid Jewish teachers against the "dogs" of the world aka Gentiles. It's no wonder there was no love lost on either side, the Jews or Geniles. The great lesson here from God is for us NOT to be prejudiced against those of another race, financial or educational status or any other of mankinds' ways of distinguishing us into our "pigeon holes." When we become christians, we must learn to discard those feelings and/or tendencies, which usually come from our family or environment like school when we're young & impressionable.

Instead, we (this includes me, most especially as I have to work hard at this) must pick up a new habit as described by Paul,    And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.   Rom 12:2    from BibleGateway.com

There's ONLY one single way to do this, we MUST pray constantly (being proned to a prayerful mood even while driving and pray a 15 second prayer while at a traffic light). Then we MUST study (and do this dilligently with the full intent of learning something new) God's Word to get the answers to our prayers and do this, at least daily. Again I know as a 65 year young man, we humans are habit (read addiction) prone to our own secret sin or whatever worldly way (read weakness) of ignoring God in favor of getting ahead is for you. 

Well at this point, I better hush my preaching but please for your soul's sake, think about the few words, I beg you and God Bless you all.