JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. A Healthy Willingness to Die

Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution. What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator

Being willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice, viz. our lives, shows that we have something not just worth living for but worth dying for. It means we believe what we preach and we value our Lord and his precious gospel to the point that we will die if need be. Many in todays world die for all kinds of reasons. If members of other religions die for it how much more we should be willin to die for our Lord. It shows the genuineness of our faith.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are not willing to die for your faith what testimony is that if we believe what we teach that we go to be with the Lord. If we aren't willing to die and I am assuming physical death is meant here and maybe painfully it destroys our testimony and we will live in a world that reaps the consequences of our failures. That world is a Christless world which is one which has no mercy.

Jesus took up His cross to be crucified which was a long drawn out horribly painful death. The Romans knew enough to know that a person would not even be able to faint to relieve his agony. On my own I don't have enough strength to bear up. That is why we must commit ourselves to a faithful Creator and know that He knows what is best, is with us, and do what He asks and leave the consequences to Him.

We need to pray for each othr and stand with each other.

God Bless!

Jen

"You are not your own, you were bought with a price," I Cor 6:19-20. If you are going to follow Christ, you no longer own yourself. Your willingness to deny yourself, even to death, is a decision to let Jesus be the Lord of your life. He must make the final decision, even when your life hangs in the balance. No matter what your circumstances, you are dependent upon God for your very next breath. I trust God for my very next breath to come to me, even at this very moment, so why wouldn't I trust Him when I'm in danger or being persecuted. A willingness to die to myself each day will certainly be a valuable asset when faced with real death. I must learn to live this way to become a true disciple of Christ. When we are not willing to deny ourselves, we are only being prideful and independent. I believe we become small, weak, limited, self-delusional. When we take up our cross everyday we are willing to face the facts about ourselves. The cross is valuable to us because it brings us face to face with ourselves. It will humble us, expose us, offend our pride. The cross will reduce you to the place where you are ready to accept the gift of the grace of God. I'm a sinner, I need these two things everyday, to deny myself and pick up my cross. Jesus is trying to tell us something here, don't try to escape or avoid the situation, welcome it, because it will bring you release, freedom, joy, love, gladness. After denying ourselves and taking up our cross daily come the words "follow me". Really that means "obey me". We are called to be disciples and our faithful Creator will provide what we need to do this. I'm certainly not perfect, I fail many times, but I am depending on my Creator to provide me with what I need to be a disciple of Christ. To do these things, I believe, is commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator. We trust in God.

• 2 months later...
Q4. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution. What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

Willingness to die show's no fear in the face of persecution.

If we do not pick up our cross and carry it daily, then we are not following Jesus. Doing so proves our Love and Obedience to Father.

• 2 weeks later...

We must be willing to die for Christ sake. This shows God that we belive in him and trust ourselves to him.. We are on his schedule not one that we made. He planned us from before were born. So, we should willing take up our cross daily and follow him.

• 1 month later...

A willingness to die, if need be, is essential to healthy Christianity during persecution because to die for the name of Christ is the highest from of worship we can offer. When we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus, we are seaprating ourselves from the Lord. This has to do with "commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator" in that we are rejecting the sole purpose of our creation.

• 10 months later...

It keeps us focused and if we have a strong will to begin with, it keeps us from giving up.

That fear will control us and paralyze us from doing what we know God called us to do.

We need to be willing to GO with God ALL the way, not jsut during the good times, but also during the hard times. We need to reamin constant and have a consistent relationship with God no matter what else is going on around us.

• 1 year later...

Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution. What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

"Then He said to them all:'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?'" [Luke 9:23-25]

The willingness to give up everything for one's belief is essential during times of persecution because this is how Christianity survived and then prevailed in the Western world. Untimately it is the test of true belief, it is after all a requirement for being a disciple of Jesus, and of the promise of salvation, which is more important than life on earth. This is the commitment that Jesus asks of His disciples and you are not a true disciple without this degree of commitment. It is a very stern test. Jesus sets the bar very high.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

A willingness to die for Jesus Christ is a complete surrender and commitment to Him. Being afraid lacks complete surrender and trust in our Lord. If God is my God and He is the God of this universe, I have nothing to be afraid of. All for Him.

• 9 months later...

If we don't die daily, we are not truly committed to Christ. We must trust him fully so that we can give our lives to him. I have really prayed about this concept in our Bible study. Answering this question has caused me to realize that I need to be more mindful and prayerful about picking up my cross and dying for Christ each moment.

• 2 months later...
Q4. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution. What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

( Luke 9 : 23-25 ) The Bible gives a very important passage where Jesus speaks to us and the Bible says, " And He said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. For what is a mans advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or cast away?" Jesus tells us some very important things about salvation. He tells us who can be saved. He tells us the attitude that a person must have to be saved. He tells us something of the consequence in this life to being saved, and He reminds us of the eternal consequence in the next life.

A person must choose. A person must say, " I will follow the Savior. One of the strongest forces in the world is the free will of a human being. God does not force us to do anything. He invites us, and He gently calls us. But we must make a choice.

( Phil.3:21 ) We go after Jesus. We pursue this great and high and noble standard. We never achieve it the way that He did, but we always reach out for it and we always hold forth as the one great goals of life to be like Christ. Paul Says" Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus."

Jesus said, " If any man will come after me, let him deny himself. " The only thing that can keep you from following Christ is yourself. The selfish will of man is the obstacle, and it can take many forms. The sinfully selfish person is not just the one who manifests the gross outward sins of the world. The worst thing you can do is to go your own way instead of God's way. Be careful of desiring anything to strongly except for the will of God. In order to follow Christ, you must deny yourself. " I am not going to go my way or do my own will. Instead I am going God's way.

Each of us also have a cross to bear. What is a cross. It is something that you suffer that you only suffer because you went God's way instead of your own way. A cross speaks of suffering and difficulty, and trial, and burdens to bear. We must never forget there is aways a good result from the cross.

Jesus is talking about the value of a human soul. There is nothing in the world more valuable than one soul. There is no advantage to gaining the whole world if you lose your soul because your soul is worth more than the whole world. Also, the world is passing away. It is temporary.

What Jesus said is true not only concerning being saved or lost, but also concerning the fulfillment of you life. We were put on this earth is to know and serve God and to do His will. There is no such thing as finding the will of God for your life some day and then doing that thing for the rest of your life. God's will is unfolded to you day by day. You find out God's will one day at a time.

It is a great challenge and privilege to be called to follow the Lord Jesus Christ in this world. I hope you have taken up the challenge while there is still time. Praise God, the time is short. Amen.

( Luke 9 : 23-25 ) The Bible gives a very important passage where Jesus speaks to us and the Bible says, " And He said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. For what is a mans advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or cast away?" Jesus tells us some very important things about salvation. He tells us who can be saved. He tells us the attitude that a person must have to be saved. He tells us something of the consequence in this life to being saved, and He reminds us of the eternal consequence in the next life.

A person must choose. A person must say, " I will follow the Savior. One of the strongest forces in the world is the free will of a human being. God does not force us to do anything. He invites us, and He gently calls us. But we must make a choice.

( Phil.3:21 ) We go after Jesus. We pursue this great and high and noble standard. We never achieve it the way that He did, but we always reach out for it and we always hold forth as the one great goals of life to be like Christ. Paul Says" Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus."

Jesus said, " If any man will come after me, let him deny himself. " The only thing that can keep you from following Christ is yourself. The selfish will of man is the obstacle, and it can take many forms. The sinfully selfish person is not just the one who manifests the gross outward sins of the world. The worst thing you can do is to go your own way instead of God's way. Be careful of desiring anything to strongly except for the will of God. In order to follow Christ, you must deny yourself. " I am not going to go my way or do my own will. Instead I am going God's way.

Each of us also have a cross to bear. What is a cross. It is something that you suffer that you only suffer because you went God's way instead of your own way. A cross speaks of suffering and difficulty, and trial, and burdens to bear. We must never forget there is aways a good result from the cross.

Jesus is talking about the value of a human soul. There is nothing in the world more valuable than one soul. There is no advantage to gaining the whole world if you lose your soul because your soul is worth more than the whole world. Also, the world is passing away. It is temporary.

What Jesus said is true not only concerning being saved or lost, but also concerning the fulfillment of you life. We were put on this earth is to know and serve God and to do His will. There is no such thing as finding the will of God for your life some day and then doing that thing for the rest of your life. God's will is unfolded to you day by day. You find out God's will one day at a time.

It is a great challenge and privilege to be called to follow the Lord Jesus Christ in this world. I hope you have taken up the challenge while there is still time. Praise God, the time is short. Amen.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.ph...;f=41&t=184

We all fear death, it seems part of our very nature. However, death can be faced by all who have a real relationship with God, and know, without doubt, that they will go to Heaven. So we should be willing to die, even without persecution, as people who will die for the sake of our convictions. Otherwise we compromise our convictions and revert to wordly ways.

When we aren't willing to die, as happened to 2 reporters in Afganistan, I think it was, who were forced to don Islamic robes and deny Christ, as they were Americans, to attain freedom, then we deny Christ. It is not a bluff, it is a denial. They live today, but would have to accept Christ fully and die as the Apostle Peter did, proving his love for Christ, to receive Salvation.

Our Creator, God, wants us for His own. Satan would love us to turn from God and become part of his world. When we are not prepared to suffer, for God's sake, we are aligning ourselves with Satan. And this leads to hell. Just as Christ endured the Cross, so we will be given the strength to cope with the persecution that will come our way, when we are obedient to Christ's calling. But the question is, will we compromise for our comfort zones? I fear, many of us do.

• 1 month later...

When you are willing to die for Christ you are showing your loyalty to Him and Him only. He is your all and all and that His word is buried in your heart. Your love Him just that much. When we are not willing to die for Christ or be persecuted we deny Him and show we are ashamed to be counted with Him. He is not are Lord and Savior. We are committed to Christ when we willing to follow Him unto death no matter what. We trust Him with our very life. I will never forget that 14 year old girl at Columbine School when she was asked if she was a follower of Christ with a gun pointed in her face and she said "Yes" and then she was killed. I know in for a fact that baby has a starry crown to heavy for her to carry on her head.

• 4 weeks later...

It shows that we are fully committed to Jesus. We have trust in him. We have placed our faith in him and know our reward is Heaven.

If were not willing to die for him or take u our cross, were not committed to him and need to reexamine our faith. If were not fully trusting in Jesus we might need to repent and recommit our live to him.

• 2 weeks later...

I really appreciate the post by djmclaren. I hadn't realise exactly what dying meant and to be honest I would rather die a martyr than to put my natural desires to death.

If I don't crucify my natural self, I am not committed to Jesus, and I am not a threat to Satan. It's all about popularity and I don't like being unpopular.

I don't exist and don't matter. I am a beautiful new creation in Christ called by Him to serve Him and do good works for Him.

To quote Paul, everything else is worthless.

• 6 months later...

It is impossible to please God with doubt and unbelief. If God requires something of us we must trust Him. If we are committed to God then we must consider "what is our purpose", "what are we designed for", knowing that our Creator is faithful, has a plan for us, and even gave his life for us. Our willingness becomes joy as we take up our cross daily. Not always "fun", many times, "grievous", but nevertheless, joyful. Oh, and remember, the press. Being in the wine press will be much better than on the threshing floor and found to be something not worthy of keeping.

• 1 month later...

Q4. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution. What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "committing ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

Firstly let me say that in order to attain salvation, we need to be

Our willingness to die is essential because it helps us to be strong and to stay in the joy of the Lord. We learn to trust the Lord completely. When we aren't willing to die and afraid to take up our cross, we lose fellowship with the Lord. We lose the closeness, our joy, our faith will grow weak. We have to remain committed to God, committed to His word, and truth so we can follow Christ and do the work he has for us, His work.

• 10 months later...

Q4.

Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution.

What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus?

What does this have to do with "committing ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

Our natural tendency is to save our lives by our own selfish existence. We may have all the comforts, pleasures and luxuries of modern living. Yet with all this we can still lose our lives, that is, we can miss the true purpose of life and the intense spiritual pleasure that should go with it! People think us mad if we first seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and yield unreservedly to Him, before our own selfish ambitions. But it is this life of abandonment that is genuine living, with a joy, and a deep inward satisfaction that defies description. This would mean denying ourselves and taking up our cross. To deny self means willingly to recognize His lordship in every area of our life, and finding a reason for our existence. We instinctively recoil from a life of cross-bearing. Our minds are reluctant to believe that this could be God's will for us. Yet the words of Christ

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Q4. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution?

Because it shows total commitment to Christ. The kind of death is the issue here. We're not talking about a useless death, but persecution unto death.

What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus?

Our commitment wavers and we're in danger of losing our faith.

What does this have to do with "committing ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

We need to have faith that God will in fact be our Rock and our Salvation. If we're persecuted unto death we then go to be with God.