JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Humility

Pastor Ralph

• 1 month later...

Paul was not violating any biblical principle by circumcising Timothy.  When I was doing mission work in western NY, I was sharing Christ with a very sick, bed ridden, elderly.  The doctors said she was terminal and that she would never leave the bed and that moving her very much could mean her death.  She realized she needed Jesus as her Savior and Lord, His forgiveness and cleansing of her sin and that God could chose to heal her or allow her to die.  We talked a long time.  She prayed to receive Christ and it appeared she was genuine.  On the next visit we talked about baptism.  It seemed no way to be able to baptize her by immersion.  We talked through the meaning of believer's baptism by immersion and all the ramifications.  She wanted to be baptized but moving her was out of the question.  SO, we got some water, expressed that this symbolized her being fully immersed and that, should God raise her up to be able to truly be immersed, she would do so.  So, as a Baptist pastor, with witnesses and family, we dabbed water on her forehead baptizing her in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  A glow came over her face.  She expressed she now had total peace in her soul know Jesus lived within.  As long as God was going to give her breath, she was going to tell other family, friends, and anyone else about Jesus and His saving grace.  God did not heal her physical body and she went home to be with Jesus 2 weeks later, in pain, but with a smile on her face.  In 33 years of vocational ministry this is the only time I felt impressed of God to baptize with just a little water.  So, was I using a principle from Scripture and Paul?  I believe I was.  I'll see that sweet saint in glory one day.

Q1. (Acts 16:1-3) Why does Paul circumcise Timothy, even though his principles don't require him to? Why does Paul "become all things to all people" (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)?

Paul has been called, by God, to carry the good news about Jesus to as many people as he can. Being as sensible as he is dedicated, he carries out his mission with intelligence. He doesn't just barge into a city and batter people with his message. He makes himself acceptable because that's the first step towards getting their attention. He finds common ground with them, tailors his approach to them, sets aside his dignity for them, and explains the good news to them. In this instance he circumcises Timothy so that the Jews accept them into the synagogues. "Become all things to all people" merely means that he does whatever is necessary to get people to hear and accept his message without distraction—as long as it isn't morally unacceptable to God. 

In what ways does the path of serving Jesus require humility rather than demanding our rights?  
When people start thinking about their rights they make themselves the centre of the world they carry about with them. If Paul and Timothy were to think about their own dignity and what they deserve or are entitled to they wouldn't be able to serve God effectively—they would have put themselves first.  They were successful only because they were willing to give up their rights and subject themselves to humiliation, discomfort, and ill-treatment. They replaced love and concern for themselves with love and concern for God and their fellowmen and women.

That may be something that Christians today should remember. If we want to win people to Jesus we need to go them on their terms and not demand they come to us on ours. What unites us is a relationship with Jesus, not shared customs and traditions. We shouldn't confuse social expectations with Christian principles.

11 hours ago, garymerkel said:

Paul was not violating any biblical principle by circumcising Timothy.  When I was doing mission work in western NY, I was sharing Christ with a very sick, bed ridden, elderly.  The doctors said she was terminal and that she would never leave the bed and that moving her very much could mean her death.  She realized she needed Jesus as her Savior and Lord, His forgiveness and cleansing of her sin and that God could chose to heal her or allow her to die.  We talked a long time.  She prayed to receive Christ and it appeared she was genuine.  On the next visit we talked about baptism.  It seemed no way to be able to baptize her by immersion.  We talked through the meaning of believer's baptism by immersion and all the ramifications.  She wanted to be baptized but moving her was out of the question.  SO, we got some water, expressed that this symbolized her being fully immersed and that, should God raise her up to be able to truly be immersed, she would do so.  So, as a Baptist pastor, with witnesses and family, we dabbed water on her forehead baptizing her in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  A glow came over her face.  She expressed she now had total peace in her soul know Jesus lived within.  As long as God was going to give her breath, she was going to tell other family, friends, and anyone else about Jesus and His saving grace.  God did not heal her physical body and she went home to be with Jesus 2 weeks later, in pain, but with a smile on her face.  In 33 years of vocational ministry this is the only time I felt impressed of God to baptize with just a little water.  So, was I using a principle from Scripture and Paul?  I believe I was.  I'll see that sweet saint in glory one day.

This will make the first time for me to quote a post at this site, but I was so taken by what you said about the why of the elderly woman being baptized the way she was spoke to me so loudly that I couldn’t resist. Had the woman not been baptized, she was still introduced to, Jesus, who looks into the heart of a person when judgement day comes, and that is one of the important things that took place. Her receiving Christ was the other important thing

Baptism in itself appears to be a ritual which took place under the law to represent spiritual purity. For example, people immersed themselves in water before they could worship, sacrifice, etc.

John (the Baptist) was the offspring of a high priest, born into a strict Jewish society and like he said, was baptizing with water (part of the shadow of things to come [the law], but under the new covenant spiritual purity is a state of heart.

While I think baptism is a beautiful practice, not being under the law, is over stressed.

Thank you for the post. It was very touching.

Q1. (Acts 16:1-3) Why does Paul circumcise Timothy, even though his principles don't require him to? Why does Paul "become all things to all people" (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)? In what ways does the path of serving Jesus require humility rather than demanding our rights?

Paul circumcised Timothy because, even though he was not required to do so, it would have prevented many problems when entering a synagogue since, although Timothy was both Jewish and Gentile mix, the Jews would have been offended by him not being circumcised. It was part of Paul’s strategy to visit the synagogues first when he went into a new place and being current with Jewish law more or less would have “kept the peace”, so to speak.

By becoming everything to everybody, Paul was taking the time to show that he was interested in what everybody was involved in, sort of a “talking point” for making common ground to show that he cared about the people. That can be hard to do, and more so for some than others because of the way it removes “me” from the subject and places the importance on the person you are trying to reach. It is so much easier to reach a fisherman if you learn fishing than it is to try and change his/her way of life.

Serving Jesus means one must be willing to do things you may never have dreamed of. God knows where you are needed the most and even though you may not know it, He knows your qualifications better than you do. It is a humbling experience turning every aspect of your life over to someone and trusting they will lead you in the right direction, even if it means you might get killed in the process. That is something else people need to remember, that we all will die some day and that to die is to gain, whereas to continue living if it means denying Christ is loss.

Q1. (Acts 16:1-3) Why does Paul circumcise Timothy, even though his principles don't require him to? Why does Paul "become all things to all people" (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)? In what ways does the path of serving Jesus require humility rather than demanding our rights?

Paul wants to make Timothy part of the apostolic team. But to have an uncircumcised Jew in his party, Paul would have been viewed by Jews as supporting "apostasy and would no longer have been allowed to appear in any synagogue.  Paul circumcises him as a practical matter, so as not to distract seeking Jews from the core message of the gospel.

Being humble as we serve Jesus will help us to be at peace with others and be an example of a true follower of Jesus Christ.  Jesus himself did not think of his rights but became humble so that He could be obedient to the Father's will and execute Gods plan of salvation to the whole mankind.  Philippians 2:5-11 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, ...

a.  Paul had Timothy circumcised, not for the sake of his salvation, but so there would be less to hinder ministry among the Jews. 

b.  Paul was free to do what he wanted, but bringing people to Jesus was more important to him than using his freedom selfishly.

c.  Serving Jesus requires humility rather than demanding our rights, because humility puts others before ourselves.  

(Acts 16:1-3) Why does Paul circumcise Timothy, even though his principles don't require him to?

Paul circumcised Timothy so as not to distract seeking Jews from the core message of the gospel.

Why does Paul "become all things to all people" (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)?

Paul humbled himself to before both Jews and Gentiles in order to save as many as he could.

In what ways does the path of serving Jesus require humility rather than demanding our rights?

We have to be humble and not put ourselves first.  We must think of the greater good.

Q1. (Acts 16:1-3) Why does Paul circumcise Timothy, even though his principles don't require him to?

Paul has Timothy circumcised as not to offend the Jews (Judaizers). Paul says in 1st Corinthians Chapter 9, To the Jew I became as a Jew; to the Greek I became as a Greek. Paul is not comprising the Gospel nor his principles, he fully understood that God prefers circumcision of the heart. Timothy is not saved by being circumcised. Paul had Timothy circumcised, because all the Jews in the area knew that Timothy's father was a Greek, therefore this was done as not to give an offense to some of these Jews. Timothy's mom was Jewish (a Jewess), being that they were going among the Jews, Paul had Timothy circumcised Timothy in doing so this allowed Timothy to minister unto the community without initial and/or immediate offence among the Jews.

In short that he may be a vessel of honor witnessing as did Christ, ushering those having an hear to hear wherein the receive the drawing of the Holy Spirit unto salvation. Jesus nor was Paul willing to engage into sinful actives as they witnessed in different environments and/or cultures outside of the acceptable norm so to speak.  

As Paul was lead to people having different cultural practices/regulations if the practices/regulations were not carnal/sinful unto God Paul wouldn’t allow the cultural practice/regulation supersede the call/charge given him by Christ Jesus.

Paul in these verse and actually the chapter in brevity is saying he was willing to deny SELF! He was willing not to hold onto biases/prejudices and/or his freedom to as he submitted unto the charge from Christ, “share with people the gospel.”

In modern times, if one is lead to minister to gang members, the Believer doesn’t have to become and undercover Believer. Nor does he/she need to be initiated into the gang. Even so it would not be advantageous to wear colors that would offend the audience you encountered. Nor would/should he/she speak with vulgarity to fit in even if the audience use such language. 

If the Believer is led to minister to those incarcerated, the Believer doesn’t need the mimic the behavior they perceived those incarcerated hold; nor do he/she need to present maladaptive behaviors.

If the Believer is lead to minister to people choosing to engage in same sex relations, the witnessing Believer should not engage in like behaviors to reach the those choosing to engage in same sex relations. 

In each instance and many other instances (people with addictions, drugs, sex, alcohol, etc… disorders – bulimia, anorexia, cutting, etc…) just as Paul did, the Believer as he/she accept the call should be willing to submit unto the call and not hold onto biases/prejudices so that those encounters will see reflective living epistles of Christ.

Humility allows compassion to come forth, to demonstrate grace

Humility allows/affords/facilities to ability to forgive, to show mercy

Humility allows/afford one to serve

Humility allows/affords one to have, (spiritual eyes) the eyes of Christ [Galatians 6:1; John 8:3-10]

Demanding our rights can lead to please self-first first mentality

Demanding our rights can lead to biases/prejudices (offending people and/or being offended easily)

Demanding our rights can lead to spiritual blindness/spiritual pride

Demanding our rights can lead to rebellion

On 8/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Paul fully believed and understood Grace, and free in Christ no longer adhered to the tedious, law which was impossible to keep. However circumcising Timothy would minimize confrontation with the Law keepers, who knew his father was a Greek. It was a small detail in the larger task of sharing the Gospel with Jewish adherents of "every male must be circumcised." That settled, they could focus on Jesus, their Messiah, rather than endless arguments about  circumcision (which in Christ is the circumcision of the "heart" in surrender to His Lordship)

2.  Paul became all things to all people because as he said: For although I am free in every way from anyone's control, I have made myself a bondservant to everyone so that I might win those under the Law.   "And I do this for the sake of the good news (the Gospel) in order that I may become all things to all men, that I might by all means at all costs and in any and every way save some by winning them to faith in Jesus Christ."

3. As Jesus was a bondservant of Jesus Christ, we are as well. This requires the humility of being in submission/subjection to another (to Jesus) to do His will rather than the freedom to have our own way or will. The goal, as we grow in Christ, is that His desires become our desires. (That He may increase as we decrease  (or that He must become more important and I become less and less important." John 3:30)

When I was learning about meekness (humble submission) Holy Spirit showed me a picture of a beautiful wild stallion....nostrils flaring, powerful muscles rippling, tail swishing, head and mane wildly turning.....and totally useless to his owner, other than to look at his wild beauty. When the owner was able to "break" him and train him to a bit and bridle and be ridden, just a light nudge with a knee could turn him in the direction the rider wished him to go. That picture gave me the desire to follow the Lords 'nudges' in submission to His will....not that getting there was without some upheaval in my plans, and a few fist shakings in His face, as I angrily resisted the "bit and bridle".....but it has been worth the "breaking" process and the peaceful life that flows now that I've grown to "listen" for those nudges, and the amazing and joyful journey we're on.

Q1. (Acts 16:1-3) Why does Paul circumcise Timothy, even though his principles don't require him to?

While it is true Paul was not required to circumcise Timothy but the fact is, Timothy was an uncircumcised Jew and it would have limited Paul effectiveness in ministering to the Jewish Christians. Salvation is not the issue, but, being circumcised help Paul to have him on his apostolic team, thus, preventing “Jews from viewing Paul for supporting “apostasy.”

In this scripture, Paul going along with the opinions and customs of others, does it mean he was compromising his convictions nor were he being two-faced. It means that he was getting next to men, to gaining their confidence and trust so they would pay attention to his witnessing for Christ.

If we are to draw souls to Christ, we must not only teach and preach the gospel, but follow his example. “The only humility that is really ours is not that which we try to show before God in prayer, but that which we carry with us in our daily conduct.”  Andrew Murray

“True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.” ― C.S. Lewis

He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God? Micah 6:8 (NKJV)”

(Acts 16:1-3) Why does Paul circumcise Timothy, even though his principles don't require him to? It only shows how Paul puts on the cloak of humility in serving the two groups of Jews. One group who are the trouble makers waiting to find fault in Paul and the other group the good Jews who are waiting and want to hear the Gospel. For Paul, his concern is more for the second group. Paul could have easily given it to the trouble making Jews by debating the Jerusalem Council’s letter but Paul does not want to waste time on that, he rather use the time to bring more to the Gospel.

Why does Paul "become all things to all people" (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)? When one is free in Christ, we can become anything to anybody. We are no more defined by what we feel. Because of the freedom Paul has found in Christ, he is able to relate to anyone. Even to the point of becoming a slave as long as he does not distract those who seek the core message of the Gospel.

In what ways does the path of serving Jesus require humility rather than demanding our rights? Almost, all the time, in every way, either it’s in our family or in church, the worship team/leader, we are challenged to put on the cloak of humility. Often enough we believe and know we are right but if we believe we are free in Christ, we should be able to serve others without the fear of humility. But it is really difficult at times to follow as Paul did, but I pray that I learn more and more to die to self that I may be free in Christ.Amen.

Paul circumcised Timothy because he didn’t want any controversy of Timothy not being circumcised. He wanted to compromise so he could get the word out about Jesus. Paul “become all thing to all people” so he could teach them about Jesus. The path of serving Jesus requires humility rather than demanding our rights because we want to be able to get through to those who not believe in Jesus.

Paul circumcised Timothy so that the Jews there don't become distracted by the fact that Timothy is an uncircumcised Gentile. They would not have let Paul into the synagogues because they would think he was an apostate.

Paul becomes all things to all people so that he can win them to Jesus. He wants to identify with the ones he is trying to convert. He wants them to know he is sincere and to put them at ease. Just like we as Christians should try to find common ground with the people we meet. 

It requires humility because in order to bring others to the lord we cannot insist on our own rights. We have to consider other people's feelings and where they come from. It  maybe something we say or do might inadvertently offend someone and turn them away from God. We have to be considerate of other people's cultural and religious backgrounds and make sure we are on the same ground as they are. Make sure we know enough about them before we make contact with them. 

Paul circumcises Timothy even though his principles don't require him to because to have an uncircumcised Jew in his party,Paul would have been viewed by Jews as supporting apostasy and would no longer be allowed to appear in any synagogue. So as a practical matter, with Timothy's consent Paul circumcises him so as to not to distract the seeking Jews from the core message of the Gospel.

Paul becomes all things to all people ( 1 Corinthians 9:19-23)  so that he can win many souls and many will be saved.

Jesus our Master demonstrated to us through washing the feet of  his disciples that  He came to be served and not to serve. Jesus chose to be humble than demanding His rights as the Son of God until His death on the Cross. Likewise we  have to  be humble if we want to serve Christ and true humility will help us advance the Kingdom of God and win many souls to Christ. If we demand our own rights, we cannot serve the Lord. We are called to be humble servants by Christ and follow Him.

Q1. (Acts 16:1-3)

Q. Why does Paul circumcise Timothy, even though his principles don't require him to?

A. For a smooth passage along his evangelical mission where he is not slowed down by Judaizers or any one who believes that a Gentile convert must be circumcised to be saved.

Q. Why does Paul "become all things to all people" (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)? 

A. For similar reasoning above but mainly to be able to have unhindered access to the Synagogues 

Q. In what ways does the path of serving Jesus require humility rather than demanding our rights?

A. The humbled will achieve cooperation and success in the cause of service for the Lord.

a. Because Timothy has a Jewish mother and the Jews that live in the areas they were to bring Jesus Christ to knew that Timothy's father was a Greek.

b. So salvation would come to as many people (Jews and Gentiles) as possible, as well as honoring the calling Paul received from Christ.

c. Philippians 2:5-9 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.  And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.  Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name.

Jesus was our example that Paul modeled very well for us in ministry of the early church.

It's all about Jesus and not us. He must be lifted up and glorified, not us, so that all that will come may come to Him.

Q1. (Acts 16:1-3) 
Why does Paul circumcise Timothy, even though his principles don't require him to? 

Timothy was only half-Jewish - his mother was Jewish but his father was Greek. So, to avoid any conflict in the synagogues, Paul thought it best to have Timothy circumcised. There was also the possibility that if the Jews knew Timothy was not circumcised they might refuse them entry to the synagogues, thereby preventing him from witnessing for Jesus Christ.
Paul’s aim was always to glorify God and bring people to Christ. To achieve this aim, he was prepared to accommodate people, as he put it, by making himself a servant to all. Becoming a servant to all required absolute humility, and being sensitive to the needs of others. Using the opportunities given him to serve Christ. However, this was always done without ever sacrificing divine truth. 

On 8/28/2019 at 1:33 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. Paul wanted Timothy to join him on his journey, so In respect to the Jews in the area, who knew Timothy's father was a Greek, he had Timothy circumcised, so as not to offend the people they would minister to and hinder the Gospel from being preached.

b. Paul did everything he had to do to bring others to Christ. To a Jew, a Jew under the law; to a slave, a slave; to a Gentile, apart from the law.  He had become all things to all people.  In all humility, ruled by the Law of Christ.

c. Jesus was our example and as He humbled Himself and became a servant of all , we too must in  spending time in prayer and learning of Him become servants to win others to Christ.    Matt. 20:26-28   But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:  Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Paul knew that Timothy was a Greek and would need to be circumcised by him in order to satisfy the Jews in that area. So he chose to do it in order to make sure that the Gospel would be still spread and shared with everyone in the area. He becomes all things to everyone in order to preach the gospel and show that the gospel is what is most important to him and the mission. When it comes to serving Jesus we must remember that the Lord was servant to all before us and did not find it hard to become humble to the point of death even death on a cross. He even washed the disciples' feet yet and that is the one of lowest jobs a person could do in His day. We need to follow His example. 

On 8/28/2019 at 12:33 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Timothy needed to be circumcised so that he would not be rejected by the Jews in synagogues.

Paul becomes all things to all people so that he witness to them in their type of culture which he was in. If they were poor, he was poor, if they were Greeks he was a Greek, he humbled himself to be become as they were, this allowed him to relate to their circumstances.

In serving Jesus we humble ourselves as he was humble to all he met. Should we demand our rights while witnessing for Jesus, I think not. The Lord will lead us in our paths and it is upon him we depend.

On 10/6/2019 at 1:10 AM, Uncle Dave said:

This will make the first time for me to quote a post at this site, but I was so taken by what you said about the why of the elderly woman being baptized the way she was spoke to me so loudly that I couldn’t resist. Had the woman not been baptized, she was still introduced to, Jesus, who looks into the heart of a person when judgement day comes, and that is one of the important things that took place. Her receiving Christ was the other important thing

Baptism in itself appears to be a ritual which took place under the law to represent spiritual purity. For example, people immersed themselves in water before they could worship, sacrifice, etc.

John (the Baptist) was the offspring of a high priest, born into a strict Jewish society and like he said, was baptizing with water (part of the shadow of things to come [the law], but under the new covenant spiritual purity is a state of heart.

While I think baptism is a beautiful practice, not being under the law, is over stressed.

Thank you for the post. It was very touching.

Uncle Dave, Thanks brother for your comments.  The rest of the story, or part of it, is that the lady wanted to give her non-practicing Catholic family a clear testimony of her identification with the death and resurrection of Christ and that she was totally surrendered to Him and wanted His will alone whether being raised up to health or being swept into heaven by God's grace.  It was very moving and significant for the family.  Like the thief on the cross, the most important thing was her receiving Jesus Christ into her life as Lord.  God bless you!!!

On 8/28/2019 at 11:33 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Paul circumcise Timothy because of the Jews who were in those places because he always begin in the synagogue, having an uncircumcised jew with him would have made any witness to Jews much more difficult. Paul became a jew to the jew; to those under the law to be also and to all so that he could win everyone to Christ. 

In serving Jesus we have to put on humility be to everyone and witness so that they accept christ.

Timothy is the first second-generation Christian mentioned in the New Testament. His mother, Eunice, and grandmother Lois had become believers and had faithfully influenced him for the Lord. Although Timothy’s father apparently was not a Christian, the faithfulness of Timothy’s mother and grandmother prevailed. Never underestimate the effect of godly parenting on a child.

Timothy and his mother, Eunice, were from Lystra. Eunice had probably heard Paul’s preaching when he was there during his first missionary journey (14:6-18). Timothy was the son of a Jewish mother and Greek father—to the Jews, a half-breed like a Samaritan. So Paul asked Timothy to be circumcised to remove some of the stigma he may have had with Jewish believers. Timothy was not required to be circumcised but he voluntarily did this to overcome any barriers to his witness for Christ. Sometimes we need to go beyond the call of duty in order to further the Kingdom of God.

• 3 weeks later...

In ICor. 10:24, Paul says, "Let no-one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbour."   If Timothy had been uncircumcised, this would have been a barrier for those Jews who were coming to believe in Jesus Christ.   Paul usually began his teaching in the synagogue, and Timothy, being uncircumcised, would not have been allowed to join Paul there.  Therefore, for the sake of the Jewish believers, even though the Jerusalem Council had deemed it unnecessary, Paul ensured that Timothy complied with the law.

Unless one "gets alongside" people, and becomes part of their situation, evangelism is difficult.    An we/they divide is not conducive to teaching.  Jesus varied His approach according to the people whom he was teaching, and an evangelist must be prepared to do the same.  Unless one understands a person's circumstances, one cannot empathize with them.

We need to be humble in the sense that we must respect the point of view of the other person, rather than alienating them by insisting on our own way.   Paul knew that the Jewish believers were still under the law, so, although he himself had been freed from the law through grace, he was still prepared to accept their point of view to the extent of having Timothy circumcised.   We cannot be arrogant in evangelism, insisting on a öne size fits all model,"  but must be aware of people's varying backgrounds and beliefs.