JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Honest Gospel

Pastor Ralph

Q3. (1 Corinthians 1:18, 23-24; Romans 1:16; Acts 17:2-3) Why might Paul be tempted to underemphasize a "crucified Messiah" when preaching to the Jews? Why are we sometimes tempted to tell others how great it is to follow Christ while not telling them the other aspects of the gospel? Why is it so important that we are honest about the gospel?

• 1 month later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 1:18, 23-24; Romans 1:16; Acts 17:2-3) Why might Paul be tempted to underemphasize a "crucified Messiah" when preaching to the Jews?

That word MIGHT in this case is a conditional word. Even though Paul didn’t want to offend I do not believe He would have been tempted to underemphasize a "crucified Messiah" when preaching to the Jews. He changed his deliver in as he encountered different people but he never changed the message Christ ordained him the deliver. 

I’d prefer to answer the question by saying, I believed Paul preached/taught Christ crucified as He was led to do so.  

Sugar coated preaching/teaching/witnessing is dangerous/harmful to the Hearer and for the Orator. Attempting to please men (mankind) more than God is a very dangerous.

When witnessing and/or preaching/teaching people one may be tempted to say things they believe the hearer wants to hear. They may feel the need to scratch and or tickle the ears of the hearer with a word/massage to please/satisfy the hearer rather than a word/message that is of God, from God according to God; they may seek to charm/lure/entertain rather than edify, and/or please rather than preach/teach.  

Why are we sometimes tempted to tell others how great it is to follow Christ while not telling them the other aspects of the Gospel?

My hopes are that anyone called to serve the Lord would surrender to His leading. I do not believe a Believer can tell the entirety of the Gospel at any giving point, but John 3:16 (in context to verses 1-21 is foundational; 1 Corinthians 15:3-8); therefore, it is essential to follow John the Baptizers example as appropriately and accordingly unto the Spirits leading.  We are to follow the examples Christ Himself employed, as we meet people where they are the Lord will give us the words to say and or the example to display.

I don’t know this to be true, but to answer the question, I think people in general are prone to share what they feel is most beneficial and/or what they think will be most alluring.

There was a time when many Believers mainly share fire & brimstone witnessing principles     

Why is it so important that we are honest about the Gospel?

It is important in my opinion because even though Life with Christ is transforming; a newness to life the Gospel, the Good News isn’t in the likeness of hocus pocus and all things change, no more problems.  (Even Christ faced problems)

More so in surrendering/submitting our lives to Christ, He provides a better way to live our lives through Him. By following Him as we live and move and have our being in faith, He will lead us in living in a meaningful way more so than we could of our carnal thinking, of our own power.  

It is so important that we are honest about the Gospel because the Adversary isn’t!

Q3. (1 Corinthians 1:18, 23-24; Romans 1:16; Acts 17:2-3) Why might Paul be tempted to underemphasize a "crucified Messiah" when preaching to the Jews?
Jews expect the Messiah to be strong and victorious. The facts that the Messiah was beaten, bloodied, and killed directly contradicts their beliefs. Many of the Jews rejected Jesus simply because they couldn't let go of their preconceived notions about what the Messiah was going to do (lead them to glorious victory in this world). It would have been tempting to gloss over the crucifixion just to win these Jews over. 

Why are we sometimes tempted to tell others how great it is to follow Christ while not telling them the other aspects of the gospel? 
I think there are three main reasons we may present the gospel selectively:
a) Because revealing everything to people, especially unbelievers, can give rise to awkward questions that we don't know how to answer
b) Because attributing any sort of (imagined) weakness to God is abhorrent to us. We know God is strong and mighty—but we want to hide anything that might make him look weak to unbelievers.
c) Because we think that we may not win unbelievers over if they are exposed to certain difficult aspects too early in their faith.

Of course there are Christians who go to the other extreme. The cornerstone of their ministry is condemnation and their approach to people is through fear. Perhaps the best way to find balance is through prayer. God knows what the right words are—and when the right time is. His wisdom is perfect and he'll know exactly what we should focus on and when.

Why is it so important that we are honest about the gospel?
Our honesty about God is important because: 
a) We can't convince people about God's integrity and honesty if we conceal or sugar-coat things that are hard to swallow. We are reflections of God and if Christians try to be manipulative we devalue God's goodness to unbelievers.
b) God is the epitome of power and goodness. To be less-than-honest about the gospel is to be disloyal to God. It tells God that we're ashamed of some aspect of himself or that we reject a message he's given us
c) If we conceal, distort, or lie about our faith in order to make God look good we're insulting God. We're behaving as if God is dependant upon our prevarications or manipulations for his glory.

Paul could be tempted to under emphasize a "crucified Messiah" when preaching to the Jews because the Jews were waiting for a victorious Messiah and not a suffering Messiah. The whole message of the Cross which Paul delivered revealing to the Jews that the Messiah had to suffer ,be crucified and rose again was something that they did not expect or anticipate. Preaching and teaching the right Gospel to an audience who believe in something else may tempt you from delivering the right message.

Sometimes we may be tempted to tell how great it is to follow Christ while not  telling the other aspects of the Gospel because we may want to please our audience, we may fear telling them the truth fearing rejection, we may want to seek our own popularity and fame than being obedient to Christ .We may want to tell all good things so as to sort of lure our audience into Christianity and have them as our buddies than being rejected by them.

It is highly important to be honest about the Gospel because it is God's Word and nothing can be added our deleted from it. We cannot twist Scriptures for our own advantage and preach what the itching ears want to hear  because we will be known by the Lord as wicked servants  by not doing His will of preaching the truth. True Gospel is preaching about sin ,judgement and righteousness and a call to repentance . If we are not honest we will lose our salvation and will lead many others to destruction as well.

When we are honest about the Gospel , we may be persecuted or offended  or many may not accept it, yet its for us to be loyal to Jesus and serve Him. We will inherit the Kingdom of God .

The bottom line is that a person cannot understand and appreciate the GOOD/GREAT News until he/she understands the BAD/HORRIBLE news.  It's much like the guy jumping out of the plane without a parachute...good news - a haystack below...bad news - it had a pitch fork in it...good news - he missed the pitch fork...bad news - he also missed the haystack.  I use my personal testimony a lot...at 11 I heard preaching on heaven and hell, God's love and God's judgment - I knew I didn't want to go to hell...so was I scared into heaven?  YES, thank God, because I also understood God's great LOVE in NOT wanting me to go to hell.  So was the emphasis on love or judgment?  Both.  As a previous educator teaching English, I told students the good news and the bad news....work hard, study, do your homework, you will make better grades...no work, no study, no homework, you will probably fail and have to repeat the class and next time it will be harder.  YOUR CHOICE.  I never had a student choose the second process.  The new I wanted the best for them, but understood the negative consequences if they chose not to study.  

We have 2000 years of Christian history and have to talk the WHOLE of Scripture and the WHOLE of what God had Paul write down.  Do we have the entire conversations Paul had?  NO...but we have what we need.  God will make sure we get what we need at the time if our hearts are open to Him.

IF...I were to err on one side or the other, I would err on the side of giving the warning of God's judgment, but I've never just given one side...always both.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:36 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (1 Corinthians 1:18, 23-24; Romans 1:16; Acts 17:2-3) Why might Paul be tempted to underemphasize a "crucified Messiah" when preaching to the Jews? Why are we sometimes tempted to tell others how great it is to follow Christ while not telling them the other aspects of the gospel? Why is it so important that we are honest about the gospel?

1. Paul may have been tempted but am certain he never wavered in sharing the Gospel. In fact, whenever he encountered Jews, he argued with them (reasoned?) The cross was a stumbling block to them since they crucified their Messiah and Savior.

He was sent to the Gentiles to whom the cross was horrific, but not a stumbling block to receiving the Gospel message.

2. I recall sharing the Gospel "lite"....in the very beginning because I didn't want to put people off by sharing that we are dead spiritually until we are born again into new life through Jesus' death on the cross and that we  are not above our Master and will also suffer for our faith. But I soon realized that is a disservice and is not truthful, and may set them up for falling away when trouble comes...as it always does. It's better to be honest , and to let them  know He will get us through whatever befalls us, and will get us safely to Heaven when time for the journey home.

3. Jesus IS TRUTH! We are called to be truth tellers. (To not share the whole gospel is like telling a child who is being taken to the doctor for a shot: "Don't cry....it won't hurt"....and then they know we can't be trusted when it does hurt and they've been lied to in order to get them in the car! 

The Jews viewed the Messiah as one who would conqueror, one that would free them from foreign domination and bring them into the promised kingdom or God that reigned over by David’s victorious descendant. Some of the Jews could not accept this “Suffering, crucified Messiah with the one they wanted “Victorious Messiah.”

Why are we sometimes tempted to tell others how great it is to follow Christ while not telling them the other aspects of the gospel?

The gospel bought about salvation, but the cross bought about suffering for the cause of Christ.

Because “For it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jews first and also for the Greek.” Romans 1:16  

Q3. (1 Corinthians 1:18, 23-24; Romans 1:16; Acts 17:2-3)

I.            Why might Paul be tempted to underemphasize a "crucified Messiah" when preaching to the Jews?

The Jews were expecting someone who would liberate them from the tyranny and oppression of foreign leaders. I wonder what went through Pilate’s mind when he decided he wanted no part of what was happening. Even though it was all as much a part of God’s ultimate plan as it was having Judas sell Jesus out, it still had to bother him and plague his mind for a long time—maybe till the day he died. But, to preach living a life of servitude appealed to few, if any. But the fact that many are called and few are chosen (Matthew 24:14), Paul knew that he had to preach the truth in its entirety and live as a servant of God most high himself as an example.

Something I sometimes think about is how God, Himself is the ultimate example of humility and servitude. I mean like;

·        Who is it we ask when we need something and who is it provides for all, Jews, Gentiles, and even the pagans?

·        Maybe God doesn’t set the table for us but who really sets it for Him and, isn’t the fact that He gives us food to put on the table enough? I mean, think about it, He provides for the whole world.

II.            Why are we sometimes tempted to tell others how great it is to follow Christ while not telling them the other aspects of the gospel?

The fact that we are called to serve, even unto death if necessary, would tend to drive many away. Things like eternal life when death is a 1 to 1 odds, you’re going to die is comforting to many, but the fact it could ultimately carry a (seemingly) big price would turn many away. I think that initially, sharing Christ’s love, the wages of sin, a fresh start in life is plenty but there is also the fact that anyone you share with who accepts the “offer” must be nurtured and that means telling the whole truth (or at the least making sure they are exposed to it). Of course, to anyone who accepts Christ, repents, and begins anew, it should be made sure of that the person has a copy of the Bible so they can begin to study the word for themselves. Buying someone a Bible, even at the risk they could eventually turn away is a small price (should not even consider the cost) to pay for a life you have begun the investment of salvation in. “Investment” might be the wrong word to use and probably is, but you never know when the time spent with that person could go on to affect many more.

III.            Why is it so important that we are honest about the gospel?

The importance of being completely honest with the gospel can not be over stressed. It is hard enough that there is a good chance the person you are sharing with had a questionable experience. One thing I find very important is when some asks you something and you don’t know the answer, say so. Don’t think that because you’re the one sharing you have to know everything. Another thing, don’t say something is going to be a certain way when you don’t know. A preacher I have much respect for, who is very knowledgeable in the Word used to always tell people “don’t take my word for it--check it out for yourself, if I’m wrong I want to know.” There are so many who go on teaching what they were taught, even if it is contradictory to the Word and have a way of twisting verses to mean something else.

The Jews traditionally viewed the Messiah as a conqueror who would free the Jewish people from foreign domination and bring into being the promised Kingdom of God, reigned over by David's victorious descendant. You can see how "Victorious Messiah" doesn't seem to fit with "Suffering Messiah." A suffering, crucified Messiah is a contradiction in terms, an oxymoron.  Paul's message could be difficult for the Jew's to accept and also mean persecutions to Paul and therefore he might be tempted to underemphasize a crucified messiah.

Fear of rejection and persecutions can tempt us to tell others all the aspects of the gospel.  Many time we don't want to offend people or loose them by telling the entire truth of the gospel.

But it is important to honestly and truthfully proclaim the entire gospel because somebody's salvation may be at stake because of our folly.  Romans 1:16For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

Paul might be tempted to underemphasize that Jesus was crucified because the Jews saw the Messiah as someone who come and be an earthly king. A king who would free them from the rule of the Romans. In their minds He was not a Godman who would have to die on the cross for their sins.He was someone who would forcibly oust the Romans and reign in their stead. 

We sometimes skip over the parts we think they will noi like to get them to make a decision for Him. Yet we fail when we do this ; because they need to know that sometimes there is trouble and hardship. Sometimes we are persecuted for our faith in some way and other times we see family members die. 

It is important for them to know that what Jesus said was true. In this world we will have trouble and trials' that just because you are a Christian doesn't mean that life will be easy. If we are going to represent Him then we need to be truthful. We need to tell them that once they start living for Jesus ; they will encounter opposition and ridicule in some cases. Yet we are not here to do our own thing but to do the will of the one who bought us.

a. Because Christ was a stumbling block to the Jews. They were expecting bold, powerful conquering king, not a carpenter's son from Nazareth.

b. If we highlight all the positives and leave out anything that scary or negative, we think people might be more likely to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior.

c. For one thing, we need to tell people the truth. There isn't anything to be ashamed of in the message of salvation. Tell people about Jesus, who He is and what He has done and how He has changed your life. It seems a lot easier to write than to do. All people need Jesus!   

I think the reason that Paul might underemphasize the “crucified Messiah” is because they were the ones that put Him on the Cross. He probably didn’t want to rub it in. We are sometimes tempted to tell other how great it is to follow Christ but not tell then the other aspects of the gospel because the need to get their attention on how Christ saved us. Then at a later date we can tell them the other aspects of the gospel. It is important that we are honest about the gospel because we are talking about Jesus who saved us from our sins.

Q. Why might Paul be tempted to under emphasize a "crucified Messiah" when preaching to the Jews?

A. Jews view the Messiah as a conqueror and thus can not reconcile that He will have to be crucified. But Paul knew better from the scriptures  and thus preached Jesus the crucified boldly.

Q. Why are we sometimes tempted to tell others how great it is to follow Christ while not telling them the other aspects of the gospel?

A. I am not sure whether I do that and do not know about others.

Q.  Why is it so important that we are honest about the gospel?

A. Because we are not supposed to water it down. We should add or subtract anything from the Word.

Why might Paul be tempted to underemphasize a "crucified Messiah" when preaching to the Jews? 

The Jews were expecting a mighty Messiah who would overthrow the Romans, and thereby liberate them from this evil yoke. To hear about a “crucified Messiah” goes against what they have believed for centuries. Paul showed convincingly, from the OT, that the Messiah had to suffer and rise again from the dead – declaring that Jesus was the long awaited Messiah. Some believed put in general this was not accepted, Paul might have been tempted to underemphasize this doctrine, but Paul had a mission to teach the gospel. I believed he called a spade a spade – whether they liked it or not. 
In the same way, we must only tell and explain the true and honest Biblical doctrines – nothing dollied up. The Holy Spirit will take over and to those who are being saved, the gospel is the power of God. They hear the message, they accept it by faith, and the miracle of regeneration takes place in their lives. To others it remains nothing more than foolishness. 

On 8/28/2019 at 1:36 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. The Jews are the ones who crucified Christ and they might be offended.  Christ crucified was a stumbling block to the Jews.

b. I haven't witnessed to a Jew, but most Christians who know of Christ's suffering, death and resurrection but it is not real and living to them if they have not surrendered to Christ.     If we tell them of the love of Christ and that God is not mad at them but wants a relationship with them.  After they surrender the Bible becomes open to them and the Holy Spirit will lead them in a life lived for Christ.  The Holy Spirit is gentle and it is His work to teach and bring the Word to life for them.  And revelations come step by step and God gives us grace to overcome difficulties.

c. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Rom. 1:16

The Jews were the ones who crucified Christ because they didn't believe He was the Messiah. He did it because he had to consider the fact they might become offended by it. I believe that it is because we are afraid of rejection and being mocked and scorned by those we know. There are those Christians who say they believe but don't know the full love of God and what it really means. They don't even know what the Gospel is about at all. Simply put it is because it has power to save souls from hell and eternal damnation. 

Q3. (1 Corinthians 1:18, 23-24; Romans 1:16; Acts 17:2-3) Why might Paul be tempted to underemphasize a "crucified Messiah" when preaching to the Jews? He really wanted to make sure that they hear the real message that Jesus Himself has revealed to him.

Why are we sometimes tempted to tell others how great it is to follow Christ while not telling them the other aspects of the gospel? I guess we do that because we are excited for the Lord and we forget that the person listening to me may not share the same mind set, I have experienced this even with my own family members and come away feeling like a fool, but I do take comfort in knowing that even being a fool for Jesus is so so worth it.

Why is it so important that we are honest about the gospel? So that the listeners do not turn around and say all religion is the same. (As I come from a nation where there are so many so called religions and races and culture.) It is so important to tell them that Christ is not a religion and that He cannot be compared to anything.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:36 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It may be hard to preach a crucified Messiah to the Jews because they were expecting a Messiah who was going to reestablish the Jewish kingdom again as the Davidic kingdom was. They thought he would defeat the Roman empire and bring all of the tribes back home from the four corners of the world.

We are sometimes temped to tell others to follow Jesus while side stepping the gospel, we may believe that they find the gospels foolishness as referring to the resurrection of the Lord.  

We must be very honest about the gospels when witnessing to others, how else can they believe in Christ and his grace that brings us to repentance and sanctification?

On 8/28/2019 at 11:36 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Paul preaching to the Jews in Corinth is focused  on the saving fact of Christ crucifixion  This method of execution was considered so crude it was not even mentioned in polite economy.

Sometime it is more important to witness to people about the greatness of Christ.  This is because they are still in the milk stage of believer when they start growing into maturity and are ready to the word then the understanding of the gospel will come into being.

The Gospel is the key witnessing to others. We can not add nor subtract.  It is the power in the word that convict and convert a person to repentance

Paul summarizes Isaiah 29:14 to emphasize a point Jesus often made: God’s way of thinking is not like the world’s way (normal human wisdom). And God offers eternal life, which the world can never give. We can spend a lifetime accumulating wisdom and yet never learn how to have a personal relationship with God. We must come to the crucified and risen Christ to receive eternal life and the joy of a personal relationship with our Savior.

Paul was not ashamed because his message was the Good News about Christ. It was a message of salvation, it had life-changing power, and it was for everyone. When you are tempted to be ashamed, remember what the Good News is all about. If you focus on God and on what God is doing in the world rather than on your own inadequacy, you won’t be ashamed or embarrassed.

The message of Christ’s death for sins sounds foolish to those who don’t believe. Death seems to be the end of the road, the ultimate weakness. But Jesus did not stay dead. His resurrection demonstrated his power even over death. And he will save us from eternal death and give us everlasting life if we trust him as Savior and Lord. This sounds so simple that many people won’t accept it. They try other ways to obtain eternal life (being good, being wise, etc.). But all their attempts are futile. The “foolish” people who simply accept Christ’s offer are actually the wisest of all, because they alone will live eternally with God.

Paul was not ashamed because his message was the Good News about Christ. It was a message of salvation, it had life-changing power, and it was for everyone. When you are tempted to be ashamed, remember what the Good News is all about. If you focus on God and on what God is doing in the world rather than on your own inadequacy, you won’t be ashamed or embarrassed.

• 3 weeks later...

The Jewish idea of a Messiah was that of a conquering king, who would free them from Roman rule and restore the state of Israel to the glory it had known under the kingship of such as David and Solomon.   So the idea of a suffering Messiah, although Isaiah had described it in Chapter 15 of his prophesy, was quite foreign to their expectations, and many met this idea with antagonism.

When describing something which one hopes will appeal to another person, it is always easier to emphasize the more pleasant and attractive aspects.  So it is easier to talk of the Good News, rather than to emphasize what has to be our response to it.   But redemption is not possible without the Cross.

We cannot expect anyone to "buy into "  the product we are selling if we are not honest about it.   Jesus never shied away from telling his disciples about the difficulties that they would face, and we cannot be less honourable.

• 2 years later...

(1 Corinthians 1:18, 23-24; Romans 1:16; Acts 17:2-3) Why might Paul be tempted to underemphasize a "crucified Messiah" when preaching to the Jews?

It does not help to not declare things as they are. The Jews might have not understood whom they were actually looking for as being the Messiah. Paul did not beat about the bush. He did tell them that Christ came and was crucified but that He also rose again on the third day. 

As said before it does not help to sugar coat the message. Wait on the Lord and let Him guide you as to how to present it to the person being testified to. 

Because the whole Gospel is what matters not bits of it.

It is not a hairy-fairy story, get rich quick, have no problem kind of myth. 

It is real life. Real life has everything in it. Pain the works. The difference is we don't need to attempt to walk through alone. Christ has carried and paid for our sins (which would have gotten us into hell). This is important to share. 

• 1 year later...

Paul is lawyerly. He presents his case, defends it and asks for a verdict. He knows that the Jews, his “jury,” are judging his message. These Jews expected a kingly, successful and important-looking Messiah – not a crucified “criminal.” Paul has to convince them otherwise. It’s a tall order.

Paul put out their scriptures about the suffering, dying Messiah. Then he claimed the Messiah must rise from the dead or not decay. Lastly, he claimed that Jesus was this Messiah, the one of which prophets in the OT spoke. 

I'm not sure Paul was tempted to deny or underplay Christ's crucifixion. He seems to speak of it often, in fact. It's the crux of the gospel and the message is empty without it.

More than a few contemporary evangelists downplay the gospel message in lieu of a more socially upbeat message of personal healing or emotional cure. Perhaps they think the gospel message will be accepted subsequent to the "teaser."

One of the reasons why evangelists and contemporary Christians tend to circumvent the gospel message is that the entire idea of sin seems foreign to Western culture. Its very difficult to get people to see themselves as sinners in need of a savior. They believe that the things they've done wrong are unfortunate, but to be expected ... not a big deal, that is. The gospel message is NOT good news to those who don't fear the status quo.

So, as evangelists, we tell the gospel message through another approach, as did Paul when speaking to different audiences. True, the cross is the message, but the approach to that message can vary as long as we actually GET to that message. At this point, I'm convinced that the Spirit has a large role, if not the only role, in "getting people saved." Without the Spirit, in a culture that has lost it's moral mooring, very few people will share the presupposition that they're a sinner therefore need salvation.

A quote from this morning's Oswald Chambers: "Our only priority must be to present Jesus Christ crucified -- to lift Him up all the time. Every belief not firmly rooted in the cross of Christ will lead people astray. If the worker himself believes in Jesus Christ and is trusting in the reality of redemption, his words will be compelling to others. ... the calling of a New Testament worker is to expose sin and to reveal Jesus Christ as savior. Consequently, he cannot always be charming and friendly ..."

I wonder if the idea of sin was more culturally embedded at the time Oswald wrote than it is now. He died more than a century ago ...