JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Atonement

Pastor Ralph

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Romans 3:25; 5:6-8; 8:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Mark 10:45; 1 Peter 3:18a) What is the Substitutionary Atonement?

To “atone for” is a multifaceted biblical term which means to “cover,” “forgive,” and “reconcile.”

Substitutionary atonement - Jesus Christ atoning sacrifice for the sins of sinners.

Jesus died in our place as a sacrifice for our sins. “Jesus died in my place, as my substitute, for my sins.”

As I (we) repented (repent) and surrendered (surrender) unto Him, He forgave my (our) sins (He forgives me {us}) and reconciled (reconciles) me (us) to the Father. I (we) have been Justified in/by/through Him; I (We) am being sanctified in/by/through Him; I (we) will be glorified by/through and because of Him – His Love/righteousness/work.  All that believe can live by His sufficient grace to live again in His gracious kingdom.   

How is this such good news?

I (we) am (are) redeemed, the price of sinful disobedience has been paid by only Him who could pay the cost. Instead of eternal damnation or condemnation in Christ there is not condemnation and I (we) have to opportunity for eternal salvation.

How does it give us assurance in our struggles with sin?

By His Grace through faith – we have assurance by Faith - through Faith – because of faith.

As we our eyes off of our feelings and/or failures/missteps and put them on Christ, His Word, and His sacrifice as we put God first. As we place our trust in Him and Him alone.... not on what we may feel, not on times we fail, not hearing the accusers voice more so than the voice of God.  We must recall and hold to the Truth, He didn't save us because of our works or our "goodness.  He saved us because it was His divined will, He is Faithful and He is Love.

John 3:36; 1 John 1:9, 5:5-12, 11-13; Romans 5:1; Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5-7

(Romans3:25,5:6-8,8:3, 2Corinthians 5:21, Mark 10:45,1 Peter3:18a) According to these Scriptures  , Substitutionary atonement means Christ who knew no sin ,sacrificed Himself for us sinners on the Cross so that we are reconciled with God. Christ died on our behalf and sacrificed Himself for our sins.

This is such a good news because only someone great as God could do this for us sinners and make us right with God and receive eternal life while we were doomed to persist because of our sin.

The Substitutionary Atonement gives us the assurance in our struggle with sins because its a truth that Christ paid the price on behalf our our sins and has redeemed us from curse and sin and we can run to Him to be delivered and forgiven from sin. We need to struggle in our sin but go to Jesus in repentance who will give us strength and victory over sin. Jesus will forgive us when we truly repent and renounce our sin. We need not struggle but believe that we have the victory through the sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross.

Q4. (Romans 3:25; 5:6-8; 8:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Mark 10:45; 1 Peter 3:18a) What is the Substitutionary Atonement?  
Substitutionary Atonement refers to the fact that Jesus cancelled our debt of sin when he died on the cross. He didn't just come to Earth to show us the way—he became the way. He took on the penalty for our sin and freed us from our obligation to pay for it.

This is wonderful news because we are now assured a place by God's side for all of eternity. It's wonderful news because we know that every wrong thing we've done in the past has been forgiven. It is wonderful news because we know that if we were to sin in the future, our repentance is all that it will take for us to be right with God again.

It's typical of people to give up if they fail at something too many times. Knowing that we haven't truly lost our battle with sin—or that Satan hasn't won—can be quite motivating. Knowing that God loves us—so much that his only Son took our place and atoned for our sins—keeps us going even after we've said and done things that make us burn with guilt or shame. I know that my struggles aren't in vain—not because I believe that I can win God's favour with my righteousness (because I can't ever be capable of the true righteousness that God requires) but because I know that my constant desire to be better and live by God's Way pleases God.

Q4. (Romans 3:25; 5:6-8; 8:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Mark 10:45; 1 Peter 3:18a) What is the Substitutionary Atonement? How is this such good news? How does it give us assurance in our struggles with sin?

The substitutionary atonement refers to Jesus Christ dying as a substitute for sinners. The Scriptures teach that all men are sinners (Romans 3:9-18, 23). The penalty for our sinfulness is death. Romans 6:23 reads, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

The good news is that eternal life is available through Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ died in our place when He was crucified on the cross. We deserved to be the ones placed on that cross to die because we are the ones who live sinful lives. But Christ took the punishment on Himself in our place—He substituted Himself for us and took what we rightly deserved. “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

We struggle with sin, and sometimes may wonder how God can forgive us again and again and again. God forgives us because Jesus the Messiah came specifically to die for the sins of the world (John 3:16) -- your sins and my sins. We may despair, but it is finished, Christ's death for sin, once for all. "It is finished!" Done! Over! And in sin's place, we have righteousness and the love of a Father for his redeemed children.

Q4. (Romans 3:25; 5:6-8; 8:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Mark 10:45; 1 Peter 3:18a)

What is the Substitutionary Atonement?

The substitutionary Atonement is that when we were yet sinners, Christ died in our place as a sacrifice for our sins.

Because He did what no one else could do for the lost world, by dying for our sin, redeeming us by the blood of the Lamb, .(” There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.2  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3  For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,” Romans 8:1-3 (NKJV)

Because God gave his son to die for the sins of the world,John 3:16 . We may scuffle but it’s finish, “in the sin’s place we have His righteousness and the love of a Father for his redeemed children.” 

Substitutionary Atonement:  Only Jesus qualified to satisfy the rightful judgment and wrath of God on sin.  Instead of us receiving eternal hell for our sin, Jesus took into Himself our eternity of hell judgment so we could have peace with God and be justified (just as if we had never sinned) and sanctified (set apart for God's purposes now and throughout eternity) so we could be glorified (live in heaven forever with God with a body like Jesus' body after His resurrection.  FOREVER, FOREVER....What incredible news and reality!!!  No matter what happens in this life...as the apostle Paul says..."this light suffering"....cannot be compared to the glory that will be revealed.  Hallelujah!!!

Q4. (Romans 3:25; 5:6-8; 8:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Mark 10:45; 1 Peter 3:18a) What is the Substitutionary Atonement? How is this such good news? How does it give us assurance in our struggles with sin?

The substitutionary atonement is when Jesus took our place on the cross and died for our sins. We were doomed to die because of our sinful nature. We could do nothing in ourselves to make atonement for our sins. Jesus came to the earth and as the Godman he took on Himself the sins of the whole world. This is good news because it means that our sins can be forgiven.We can be reconciled to God and become His child when we repent of our swind and ask Jesus to come and be our Savior. It mean that we will not go to hell but will be in heaven with the Father and the Son. All we have to do is accept this gift of salvation. blood had to be shed for the sacrifice and it was Jesus's blood that was shed for us.

It gives us assurance because we know that if we confess our sins that He is faithful and just to forgive us. He died for all of our sins; past, present and future. We need not worry that we will lose our salvation if we sin. Jesus is our advocate and high priest now and he will plead for us with the Father. He will tell Him that He paid the price for us and it is done; once and for all. 

a. Christ dying for our sins. 

b. Romans 3:23   for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Now when God looks at me, He sees the righteousness of Christ.

c. He substituted Himself in our place and paid for all sins for all time.

1.              What is the Substitutionary Atonement?

For openers, the penalty for sin is death. Atonement is payment for a crime. The fact that we were sinners before we knew Christ and asked Him forgiveness for our sins, we were under the weight of that death penalty. Substitutionary atonement is when someone willingly pays that debt, rather than the actual guilty person paying. When Jesus was executed on Calvary, he did so a sinless person, but He also took on the penalty for all of mankind’s sin for all who would accept this.

2.           How is this such good news?

Or put in other words, how could this not be good news. Mankind in general was facing a death penalty because of the sinful nature by which he lives. To make eternal life so easy to access, I find it hard to imagine any better news. Own up to your crimes, ask forgiveness, and repent (give up that past life) & follow Christ and you’re good to go.

3.     How does it give us assurance in our struggles with sin?

It gives me assurance because it seems like I’m always screwing up in one way or another. I don’t know if that makes me any different than anyone else or not, but it seems once you (at-least in my case) repent, you don’t notice the ways of others so much as my own. There are many things I’ve had to come to terms with because it has taken me a long time to realize I can never be perfect in this world.

The Substitutionary Atonement is that Christ died for our sins and the animals that we use to sacrifice is no longer needed. We have had the one and only sacrifice that is needed to be saved. This was good news because we don’t have to make weekly sacrifices with the animals. This assures us that our struggles with sin have been atoned.

Jesus Christ dying as a substitute for sinners.

Jesus paid the price and now eternal life is available for us. 

It gives us assurance because we know that if we confess our sins we will be forgiven because He is faithful and just to forgive us.

Q. What is the Substitutionary Atonement?

A. Sinless Christ died for sinful man to have life eternal. . 
Q. How is this such good news?

A.This is good news as man would have been doomed eternal damnation

Q. How does it give us assurance in our struggles with sin?

A.  God can now forgive us over and over because Christ has paid for our sin on the cross forever.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:37 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Jesus, sinless Son of God, died on the cross at Calvary, a substitute for my sins, past, present and future. (Under the old Covenant, a spotless animal without blemish was the substitute for each sinner) He took all my bad and gave me all His Good...even His shared inheritance!

2. Apart from the sacrificial death of Jesus I would still be on the road to hell for my sins. Instead, I am a new creature in Christ, washed clean by His substitution for me on the cross. And as He was raised from the dead, I will never face the second death of judgement for my sins. Instead I will spend eternity in Heaven with my Lord.

3. It's a fact that we each have a sin nature just by virtue of being born a human being since the Fall in the Garden of Eden. Though I am a new Creature in Christ, I am a work in progress as He continually works with me and in me day by day to conform me to His image (Rom 8:28,29) Until I am in my new spirit body and this body of flesh is laid to rest, sin will always be an issue. (sins of ignorance,  omission, and even willful disobedience at times until I am with Him in Heaven.) The good news is that we are always being cleansed and as we grow in love and grace will sin less and less. What a Savior!!!! 

Our Lord Jesus Christ died as a substitute for our sins – past, present, and future. He did no sin (1Pet 2:22), He knew no sin (2Cor 5:21), and there was no sin in Him (1 John 3:5), yet, God made Him to be a sin-offering on our behalf. When we put our trust in Christ, we are reckoned righteous by God. At His crucifixion our sin is laid on Christ, He takes our sin and makes us right with God. His righteousness is given to us at our conversion. The claims of the law have been fully satisfied by our Substitute. What a blessed truth it is that the One who knew no sin was made sin for us, that we who knew no righteousness might become the righteousness of God in Him. This is what is meant by Christ's Substitutionary Atonement for sin. 
This is such good news because all we deserve is death, yet in His love, mercy and grace He made reconciliation possible. In Romans 6:23 we read: “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Without Christ, we are going to spend eternity in hell as payment for our sins, but we see that eternal life is available through Jesus Christ. The only way God can receive guilty sinners is because the Lord Jesus has effectively dealt with the whole problem of our sins, so now we can be reconciled to God. In other words, God made Christ to be sin for us - Christ who knew no sin - that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. This gives us great assurance in our struggles with sin - the battle has been won - Jesus paid a ransom for us; that which we could not pay ourselves. His death released all of us from our slavery to sin. Thank You Lord Jesus!!

On 8/28/2019 at 1:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  Jesus Christ dying on the cross in payment for my sin and the sin of the whole world.

b.  For when we accept what Jesus has done for us we can have eternal life and fellowship with him forever and not spend an eternity in hell. He has paid to price for our salvation, healing and deliverance. He loves us.  He has given us peace with God, His righteousness and he has come to make His home in us. Our body is the temple of the Holy Ghost, we can walk and talk with Him.  We have abundant life and so much more.  He made us and knows what we need, and it was Him all the time!  Praise Him!

c.  He has given us His Holy Spirit, who is now our helper and teacher. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.  Romans 8:1-4

The substitutionary atonement is Jesus dying on the cross for my sins and the world's sins and covering it with His life's blood. It is good news because since there is no need for another animal sacrifice. It is also good news because we have the ability now to go before the throne and seek His face since His death tore the veil between in half in between the holy of holies and holy place in the temple. Now we have the right to go before the Lord and seek the Lord. It gives us assurance because we know we can trust Him to be there for us.

Q4. (Romans 3:25; 5:6-8; 8:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Mark 10:45; 1 Peter 3:18a) What is the Substitutionary Atonement?It simply means that someone took my place because of the sins I have committed,committing and will commit.That someone is Christ.

How is this such good news?It is indeed such a good news because I do not have to die for my sins anymore.I need not feel guilty,ashamed or anything the enemy wants me to feel.It is such a good news because when I die and stand in front of a Holy God I do not have to give excuses for my sins,all I need to do is stand covered by the righteousness of Jesus,believing and trusting in Him and Him alone.

How does it give us assurance in our struggles with sin?Yes,daily it is a struggle with sin,the sin of unbelieve,doubt and lately I am convicted by my Lord that even when I fear I am sinning against Him.Usually in times of trials and tribulations,the phathetic enemy never fails to disturbs our thoughts but the beautiful of assurance is that when we cry ou to Him, when we submit to Christ with the help of the Holy Spirit We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Paul presents the Substitutionary Atonement as the reason for Christ's suffering that Jesus died in our place, his bearing our sins that were not his own. Christ demonstrated his love for us by suffering and dying for our sins before we even knew him.

This is good news for us is because we can not atone for our sins against him, so God provided a way for us by sending his own son to suffer, die resurrect for our sins. Accepting his sacrifice for our sins we are justified and made holy before God.

To help us in our struggle's against our sin full nature, the Lord has provided his Holy Spirit to dwell within those who chose by faith to accept what Christ has done for us.     

• 2 weeks later...

Paul states presents the Substitutionary Atonement that Jesus is the Son of God, the promised Messiah, and the resurrected Lord. Paul calls Jesus a descendant of King David to emphasize that Jesus truly had fulfilled the Old Testament Scriptures predicting that the Messiah would come from David’s line. With this statement of faith, Paul declares his agreement with the teaching of all Scripture and of the apostles.

All three members of the Trinity are involved in our salvation. The Father loved us so much that he sent his Son to bridge the gap between us. The Father and the Son send the Holy Spirit to fill our life with love and to enable us to live by his power (Acts 1:8). With all this loving care, how can we do less than serve him completely!

When we trust in Christ, we make an exchange: He takes our sin and makes us right with God. Our sin was laid on Christ at his crucifixion. His righteousness is given to us at our conversion. This is what Christians mean by Christ’s atonement for sin. In the world, bartering works only when two people exchange goods of relatively equal value. But God offers to trade his righteousness for our sin—something of immeasurable worth for something completely worthless. How grateful we should be for his kindness to us.

Jesus’s ministry is the basis for our salvation. A ransom was the price paid to release a slave. Jesus paid a ransom for us because we could not pay it ourselves. His death released all of us from our slavery to sin. The disciples thought Jesus’ life and power would save them but Jesus said his death would save them from sin, an even greater slavery than Rome’s. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Jews were familiar with the idea of Substitutionary Atonement.  In the Old Testament there were clear rules as to which animals could be sacrificed as an atonement for the sins of an individual.   This culminated in the ritual of the Day of Atonement, when the priest would sacrifice a bull for himself and his family and a goat as a sin offering for the people.   This culminated in the ceremony of the scapegoat, when the High Priest would lay his hands on the head of a live goat and confess over him all the sins of the people of Israel, which would then be transferred to the goat.  After that, the goat was driven out into the wilderness, thereby carrying away their sins.  (Leviticus 16).   However, none of these sacrifices were satisfactory, for they did not complete the work of atonement, and had to be repeated over and over.    In the death of Christ, we see the fulfilment of all these Old Testament sacrifices, since, like the scapegoat, he took upon Himself all the sins of the world, and this perfect sacrifice of a sinless Being atoned once for all, and we can rejoice that all sin has been forgiven and we are fully redeemed and justified.

This is unbelievably good news, because Jesus, being perfect man and perfect God has done what we, as ordinary mortals, could never do, and has taken away our sins, allowing us to rejoice in this new freedom.

We are given assurance because, even if in our sinful natures we keep falling, the redemption of Christ is for all men.  He has achieved our salvation.

• 2 years later...

(Romans 3:25; 5:6-8; 8:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Mark 10:45; 1 Peter 3:18a) What is the Substitutionary Atonement? How is this such good news? How does it give us assurance in our struggles with sin? 

In the O. T. specific rules and regulations were given which needed to be followed, as far as sacrificing an offering for sin, personal and national etc. 

This was done again and again. 

Christ was the ultimate sacrifice. Unblemished. He is the Substitutionary Atonement. He paid the price in my stead. Never does it need to get paid for again. It is done. Finished. 

• 1 year later...

Substitutionary atonement means that Christ's substituted Himself for us, that is, He put himself in our place so we wouldn't have to bear the burden and death sentence for our own sin. It is difficult to conceptualize why and how this worked in the mind of God, who is, after all, of the same essence as Christ. In His death on the cross, then, He dies for our sins. Because of his death, we don't have to die for our sins. We can live because He lives -- that's the happy-making corollary.  

I think of it as being on death row and having someone walk into our cell, right before we're about to die, and offer to die for us so we can go free. That's pretty good news if you're the one condemned to die.

I'm not sure it gives assurance in our sin-struggles, but it does tell us that when and if we mess up, His death has covered our sin. We're forgiven before we sin. His payment for our sin is forward-reaching in time, that is.