JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Unbelievers

Pastor Ralph

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Acts 17:27-31; Romans 1:19-20; 2:14-15; Acts 4:12) How close is God to non-believers?

That’s a tough but not so tough questions to answer. It’s my belief that God is close enough to the non-believer the be received. I believe every human God created, He did so giving the human the compacities that makes us different than other mammals. We have the capacity to reason just as we have the capacity to strive to fill a void/yearning to devote to someone or something greater than ourselves.

I believe God empower those that believe on Him to live beacon lives, as the Believer let their reflecting light shine we glorify God. As we become the hands and the arms extending from God unto those willing to receive the Lord His Spirit ministers unto the non-believer unto being born anew/transformed. God speaks in many ways, (Nature/Creation, Circumstances/Situations/Difficulties/Events, His Word/His Spirit, Music/Pictures/Art, etc..), unfortunately as He speaks many of these means maybe ignore or misinterpreted. Therefore He may usher the Believer to be a witness unto Him unto the non-believer. The Believer maybe His mouthpiece, hands or arms, etc…   

Is he working in them? 

Yes 

Since God shows forbearance for sins of non-believers, why do Christians act so judgmental? 

It could be said “Hurt people hurt people” 

(Forgive me) Through ignorance some repeat patterns previously demonstrated 

Self-righteousness (misplaced comparison) – biases/prejudices – peer pressure direct and indirect (similar Peter and Barnabas in Galatians 2:11-21

Insecurity and/or lack of love or misplaced love

How should we act? 

We as Believers should conduct ourselves as we adhere to the Holy Spirit as we encounter non-believers and Believers alike.

Is faith in Jesus necessary for salvation?

Because I have come to the knowledge of Saving Faith - It is my STRONG belief that faith in Jesus is necessary for eternal salvation! It is of my VERY STRONG opinion if a person comes into the knowledge of Saving Faith and disregard it that person treads on a VERY dangerous foundation.   

There is a belief called “Inclusivism” – instead of delving into this belief - because as Paul said in 1 Corinthians 13:8-13, “at this point I know only in part but one day when I see His face and I will not see a dim reflection); in essence I’m saying I’d rather hold to God in His infinite wisdom to judge all at the appointed time according to His just character. Secondly, it is extremely important if a person has come into the knowledge of truth and that person decided not to have faith in that truth; the person would be walking/living in known disobedience. In doing so this in my opinion would be very-very dangerous.

What I am 100% sure of is that as a Believer we are to share the Gospel as the Spirit Leads us!  Jesus is the Way – The Truth - & the Life – John 5:39-40 39You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about Me, 40yet you refuse to come to Me to have life.

Excerpt from the “Lessons for Disciples,” “God is at work in non-believers through His Holy Spirit, for "He is not far from each one of us," says Paul (Acts 17:27). Non-believers have a conscience that can help them do right, even if they haven't heard the gospel (Romans 2:14-15). We shouldn't judge unbelievers by their sins, but rather look for where God is at work in them.”

Jesus is the only way.  No one comes to the Father except the Spirit draws him/her.  There is no other name under heaven, given among men by which we may be saved.  Creation shouts, screams, jumps up and down - GOD IS, GOD IS!!!!  Missionaries who have gone into remote locations find people worshipping.  When in Russia, I had grandmothers who had not seen a Bible in 70 years, receive a Bible, tears streaming down their faces, "We have believed in God, but we needed someone to tell us about Jesus."  God calls us to be watchmen and to warn the wicked of their ways or their blood will be required at our hands.

I do not understand all there is at the judgment seat of Christ or how God is going to judge those who have "never heard", but I do know that we have the privilege and mandate to tell others about Jesus.  Maybe that's one of the reasons God will "wipe away every tear" - when we see the scores of times we SHOULD HAVE shared the gospel.  

There is a difference between judgmentalism and having good judgment.  We should discern not be judgmental, even as Jesus severely chastized the Pharisees, yet died for them, paying their sin debt, yet they would not acknowledge it.  We can stand boldly for the truth and not hedge without be unloving, uncaring, and judgmental about it.  Much is attitude and tone of voice is sounding God's warnings.  Paul demonstrated this:  "I wish myself accursed for my brethern", yet he would speak the truth of God's judgment and wrath - Romans 1.

Q1. (Acts 17:27-31; Romans 1:19-20; 2:14-15; Acts 4:12) How close is God to non-believers?
God has accepted all of us as his children whether we accept him or not. God has chosen all of us for salvation whether we choose to believe in him or not. God has made himself accessible to all of us. The amount of closeness we feel depends upon the extent to which we've embraced him. 

Is he working in them?   
God works in Christians directly through the Holy Spirit. I think he works in non-believers in a different way. God has given everybody a conscience. He has given everybody the capacity for curiosity and intelligence. I think that if people were to put aside their pride in themselves and their fear of not being in control of their lives they would see the glory that infuses creation. They would devote their intelligence and passion towards finding out what that glory indicates. And if they reach out with their hearts and minds, in sincerity, they will find God.

Since God shows forbearance for sins of non-believers, why do Christians act so judgemental? How should we act? 

I think Christians sometimes confuse the message we're charged with carrying with the behaviour we're called to display. God's message is one of love and forgiveness—it's his alternative to the consequences of sin. There will be judgement and there will be condemnation. But we're not supposed to be the vehicle of God's judgement. We're supposed to love, serve, respect, and forgive. 

Jesus made that very clear, very many times. He forgave every sinner and every sin he came across. The only people he ever lambasted were the Pharisees who took it upon themselves to condemn people for not following their meaningless or unloving interpretations of God's laws. We're called to carry God's message of love and judgement in full—but we, ourselves, are only called to love and not judge.

Yes. We can try to be good as often as we can but we'll never achieve the purity that is necessary to enter Heaven. Jesus paid the penalty that washed away our impurity. The only way we can go to Heaven is if we're clean and the only way we can be clean is by availing of the cleanliness Jesus' sacrifice provides us with. And we avail of Jesus' sacrifice through our faith in him.

What about the people who lived before Jesus' time? What about the children who die before they know Jesus? What about the people who have never heard the gospel? I don't know the answer to those questions. I do know, however, that God is the embodiment of Love and Justice. He wants us all to be saved—he will go after a single straying sheep even if he already has ninety nine. We don't know how he'll do it, but we do know God. Those people won't experience God's justice without experiencing his love. All we need to do is carry the gospel to the people that we can reach.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:39 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Acts 17:27-31; Romans 1:19-20; 2:14-15; Acts 4:12) How close is God to non-believers? Is he working in them? Since God shows forbearance for sins of non-believers, why do Christians act so judgmental? How should we act? Is faith in Jesus necessary for salvation?

1. John 3:16 sums up His love and concern for non-believers: "For God so greatly loved the world that He even gave up His only begotten, Unique Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction) be lost, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world in order to judge to reject, to condemn, to pass sentence on the world, but that the world might find salvation and be made safe and sound through Him. (amp)

2. Absolutely...just as He worked in each believers life....Our Father draws the hearts, and Holy Spirit reveals Jesus to each  responsive one, watering "seed" planted, in each life. Sadly only a  minority will choose to be chosen as children of our Father God. Actually, He drew me by continuing to answer my "God if you're there" prayers so specifically that I could not deny His Presence and Reality!  He's not limited in how to reach us. 

3. If we're judgmental it's because we've forgotten that we were each hell bound sinners before He saved our sorry self righteous sinful self's. 

4. We are Christ's ambassadors, HIS LOVE written, not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on hearts of stone but on the tablets of human hearts. 2 Cor 3:3.  His love drew us to Him, and His love through us will draw seekers to Him also.

5. Yes, faith in Jesus is the only way to salvation...there is no other way. Acts 4:12: There is salvation in and through no one else, for there is no other name under Heaven given among men by and in which we must be saved.

Q1. (Acts 17:27-31; Romans 1:19-20; 2:14-15; Acts 4:12) How close is God to non-believers? Is he working in them? Since God shows forbearance for sins of non-believers, why do Christians act so judgmental? How should we act? Is faith in Jesus necessary for salvation?

God is their creator and can be seen all around them in creation, He is the reason they are alive and breathing. He is as close as the air they breathe into their lungs. 

God is hoping that they will recognize who He really is by what He has created. He is withholding judgement so they will come to Him and repent. He has put an awareness of Him within their very souls and consciousnesses. They need to acknowledge Him and admit they need Him. If they just open their eyes to what they see in creation and put aside their false idols and seek Him.

Believers often act judgemental because we think all unbelievers should talk and act as we do; when in fact they do  not know God and are acting as only they know how. They do  not care about spiritual things because they are of the world. It is wrong to try and point fingers at them and not look at our own behaviors. Are we speaking and doing all we should be? Are we showing them love instead of condemnation? We should be like Jesus and show love and mercy not judgement and hate. We should be concerned about them enough to reach out no matter what others think.

Yes, faith in Jesus is the only way to get into heaven and to be saved. He is only door or entrance into complete forgiveness and reconciliation with God. He is the way, the truth and the life.

Q1. (Acts 17:27-31; Romans 1:19-20; 2:14-15; Acts 4:12)

1.     How close is God to non-believers?

This question could get tricky because there is a difference between non-believers and those who simply don’t know. In both cases, there are people who rank as some of the nicest one could know and those who go to the other extreme. There are also those in the middle. It seems to me one would have to have knowledge of something before they believed it or not. Getting at the heart of the question, I think God close to non-believers because it is His will that none would perish. I thank Him much for the patience He has with people (like me), even though it does seem like there is a limit as to how far one can push against the system God has put in place.

2.     Is he working in them?

I believe He is, but it is ultimately up to the person to make the decision. Although this is a quote, I see it as a nice way of putting things: “If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice”. Some people flat out deny Christ, but this went out to those who think they can keep putting it off until they experience or get what it is they want from the world which they are have a hard time letting go of.

3.     Since God shows forbearance for sins of non-believers, why do Christians act so judgmental?

Perhaps because either they have not taken time to read “The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant” (Romans 12:14-21), or don’t believe what it says, or just plain never heard of it. As a whole, there is no excuse for judgmentalism even though it is often seen in believers. There is no place for gossipers in Christianity and anyone who call him/herself a Christian and is involved in it needs to repent of it. I don’t mean to sound like the almighty holy one, because I too am guilty of many things I need to repent of. It is bad for our witness when we partake of such things.

4.     How should we act?

We need to look upon Christ as the example of what we want to be and act accordingly. Some real wake-up call questions here

5.     Is faith in Jesus necessary for salvation?

As sure as we are all here, it is. We are saved by grace through faith in Christ.

God is close to all no matter whether they are believers of not. All we have to do is just reach out and accept it. God works with non-believers by showing them the everyday things like the birds of the air and the plant life and everything in the universe. God shows forbearance for sins of non-believers and Christians act judgmental because we are trying to bring them under God’s wing. But we are to love them and try to bring the good news to them. Jesus says that He is the only way to the Father so yes, Jesus is necessary for salvation.

God is very close to  the non-believers as well. In fact He loves them all. He sent His only Son Jesus because He loved the world and it includes non believers as well. God has left clues and traces in His creation so that the non believers will seek Him and find Him.

Yes He is working in them because part of His salvation plan includes the non believers.  God is trying to reveal Himself to them through His majestic creation and His chosen people.

Since God shows forbearance for the sin of the nonbelievers it is wrong on our part as Christians to be judgemental about them.

We must act in love towards non believers. Yes we must be bold to tell them about Christ and show them their errors. Be like Jesus selfless and kind, speak the truth with grace and pray for them asking God to save them. 

Yes faith is Jesus is absolutely necessary to be saved. We have to confess through our mouths and believe in our hearts that Jesus is Lord!

Q. How close is God to non-believers?

A. Very close.

Q. Is he working in them?

A. Yes in a way because through the creation around us, the power of God is demonstrated and everyone ought to know that there is a God Who made the wonderful creation.

Q. Since God shows forbearance for sins of non-believers, why do Christians act so judgmental?

A. May be due to ignorance.

Q. How should we act?

A. Repent mow and love everyone including mo-believers as the Lord loved us while we were yet siners He died for us.

Q. Is faith in Jesus necessary for salvation?

A. YES

According to scripture God work in non-believers through his Holy Spirit, for “he is not far from each one us”. Non- believers have a conscience to help them know right from wrong even if they have not heard the Gospel (Romans 2: 14-15)

Is he working in them?

I believe so.

Since God shows forbearance for sins of non-believers, why do Christians act so judgmental?

We are judgmental because we know time is short, we often see our self-lost and don’t want other to make the same mistake.

How should we act?

We should act as a disciple of Christ. Lead them to Christ, by scripture. beginning with that “if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.10  For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation Romans 10: 9:10,)”  (  For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9  not of works, lest anyone should boast.”  Eph. 2:8-9)

Is Faith in Jesus necessary for salvation?

Yes.”  Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12 (NKJV

How close is God to non-believers? 
Is He working in them? 
How should we act? 

God created each living person, and He knows each one of us inside out; He knows our very words, deeds, motives, and even our thoughts. So He is close to all, including non-believers, the difference is that believers have this close personal relationship. Believers have put their faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, have been sealed by the Holy Spirit, been forgiven of all sin, and now have this intimate relationship with their Heavenly Father. Sin is the barrier between God and non-believers.
However, God is a God of love and He loves each one of us (John 3:16). Although He hates sin, still in His great mercy, He gives all unbelievers every opportunity to be saved. Not wanting any to perish, He purposely extends the time of grace so that we all might have every opportunity of being saved (2 Pet 3:9). However, being a God of justice, sin must be punished, but it is this delay in punishing evil that upsets Christians. In the world today we see evil flourishing and criminals, murderers, and what have you, getting away with all their evil deeds. They are living the high life. In my country where corruption is rife, we see this every day. No one is punished and plundering of state resources continues on a daily basis, with no end in sight.
We should remember God is sovereign and He always keeps His promises, and it up to us to trust Him. He has promised to end the history of ungodly men with judgment. And when we get impatient and there seems to be a delay, it is not because God is unfaithful to His promise. It is because He is patient.
There is no salvation without Jesus. No other name under heaven has been given among men for salvation, and it is by this name alone that we must be saved. The Lord Jesus is not just one of many ways - He is the only Way. No one comes to the Father except through Him. Those who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ are loved unconditionally, securely, and forever.

1. God is indeed very close to these Gentiles.  God desires that they seek after him and find him.
  2. God is at work in non-believers through his Holy Spirit, for "he is not far from each one of us," says Paul (Acts 17:27). Non-believers have a conscience that can help them do right, even if they haven't heard the gospel (Romans 2:14-15).
  3. We shouldn't judge unbelievers by their sins, but rather look for where God is at work in them.
  4. In our day, we need to bring visibility to the gospel, not let it just hide in church buildings.  We need to keep declaring the resurrection today, even though our culture isn't acutely interested in the subject.
  5. Yes faith is in Jesus is necessary for salvation.  Jesus is the only door we know to salvation (Acts 4:12); we must declare Jesus as the answer.

I believe that God is close to non believers through creation and their conscience as well. The Lord wants them to know Him and seek Him like we do. He is working in them through their consciences and the Holy Spirit can prod them to come to Him at the right time when they are ready to come. We do so because we believe we know better than God does. We should act in love and not judge them. Yes for the Lord said none come to the Father but by Him.

He is knocking on the door of their hearts.Revelation 3:20 “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, [then] I will enter his house and dine with him, and he with me."

Yes, I believe that He is: 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

Because we are people; even though we are forgiven, we are still influenced by the world, the flesh and the devil. Judgment is for Jesus, but we still step in and bring that ourselves. It is a sin and harmful to the work that God is doing.

We should love them, not their sin.

Yes, absolutely necessary.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. & b. Yes, he is close to non-believers and continues to draw them by His lovingkindness. We are his offspring, made in the image of God. It is their response that when they hear the Gospel to believe and receive salvation.  

c & d. It is a religious spirit that makes us that way.  We have to remember that we were once in the same place.  We are not to be judgmental, because sometimes it takes a really bad situation to truly surrender to the Lord.  We are not to look on the persons outward appearance,  but knowing what they are going through and their need of a Savior.  Knowing how much God really loves them, we are to love them too from the heart of Christ in us.

d. Yes, faith in Jesus is necessary for salvation.  Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12

Q1. (Acts 17:27-31; Romans 1:19-20; 2:14-15; Acts 4:12) How close is God to non-believers? Close enough because He send His only son to die for the world.

Is he working in them?Yes.

Since God shows forbearance for sins of non-believers, why do Christians act so judgmental?Because of self righteousness.

How should we act?In humility and at the same time sharing the gospel as it is.

Is faith in Jesus necessary for salvation?Yes, most definitely.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God may not be with unbelievers, but he has given them plenty of evidence that he is the creator of all things. He is patient with them should they come to repentance and change their minds and turn to him.

As above God has given plenty of evidence of his being. The Holy Spirit will convict their conscience of right from wrong, it will be up to them wither they ignore their conscience or turn to God.

God shows forbearance for sins of non-believers and some Christians will be judgemental of them, perhaps they have forgotten what they were before they came to know the Lord.

We should be humble with non-believers and act accordingly. We should find common ground with them and explain to them what Christ has done for all of us, being we are all sinners.

Faith in Christ is necessary for salvation, for there is no other name in Heaven or earth by which we are to be saved.  

• 2 weeks later...

1 God is known in his creation, and he is close to every one of us. But he is not trapped in his creation—he is transcendent. God is the Creator, not the creation. This means that God is sovereign and in control, while at the same time he is close and personal. Let the Creator of the universe rule our lives.

Paul’s address were a good example of how to communicate the Good News. Paul did not begin by reciting Jewish history, as he usually did, for this would have been meaningless to his Greek audience. He began by building a case for the one true God, using examples they understood. Then he established common ground by emphasizing what they agreed on about God. Finally, he moved his message to the person of Christ, centering on the Resurrection. When you witness to others, we can use Paul’s approach establish common ground, and then move people toward a decision about Jesus Christ.

Paul did not leave his message unfinished. He confronted his listeners with Jesus’ resurrection and its meaning to all people—either blessing or punishment. Most of them preferred worshiping many gods instead of just one, and the concept of resurrection was unbelievable and offensive to them. Paul did not hold back the truth, however, no matter what they might think of it. Paul often changed his approach to fit his audience, but he never changed his basic message.

• 2 years later...

Acts 17:27-31; Romans 1:19-20; 2:14-15; Acts 4:12) How close is God to non-believers?

He is not far from each one of us, is stated very clearly, in God's Word. In Him we live and move and have our being. 

A persons conscience also shows that something is working in our hearts, by letting us most often choose an acceptable lifestyle. We seem to instinctively know it is wrong to take what doesn't belong to us etc. 

Is He working in them?

God's eternal power is clearly visible to believers and non-believers alike. So yes, He is working in them. Some just choose to keep themselves blind and deaf to His working. Until, one day!!!!! Glory, to God, may it still be this side of heaven, their eyes are opened and ears are unstopped and they recognize it is GOD. 

We shouldn't. For there, but for the grace of God, go I. 

How should we act?

We should pray for them too. 

Yes, absolutely. 

For by grace are you saved through faith. 

• 1 year later...

How close is God to non-believers? Is he working in them?

What an odd question, Pastor Ralph -- I would have thought you'd ask the opposite, "How close to God are non-believers?"

Lets pretend that humans can be identified with Jesus on a scale, say, of one to one-hundred. An unbeliever, that is someone who is adamantly certain that God does not exist and will not entertain even a sliver of possibility that He could exist, would be a zero on this scale. The rest of us are somewhere in the positive numbers. Those on the cusp of salvation, then, would be on this scale though far to the left. The Spirit is working in them, inexorably moving the needle toward faith.

A Christian most identified with jesus, that is, most "like Christ" would be on the far right of this continuum.

To ask if God is close to non-believers is to ask something we'll never know. How God chooses, calls and pulls people to Him is a mystery ... why he chooses/rejects is also a mystery. 

Since God shows forbearance for sins of non-believers, why do Christians act so judgmental? How should we act? Is faith in Jesus necessary for salvation?

Frankly, I also don't think most Christians are judgmental. In fact, I'd rather see more fire-and-brimstone conviction that sinners are in the hands of an angry God than the dominant culturally-cowed and compliant, "We're all in the same boat," mentality.

To judge is not to be judgmental. We seem to conflate these two words. The fact is that faith in Jesus IS necessary for salvation. There's no other way to God. This is the great binary divide that Christians must come to terms with -- people in the world are either in the kingdom or outside of it. Now, only God knows our status for certain, so we have to apply gentle wisdom when dealing with secular people and presenting the gospel to them.