JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Divisions

Pastor Ralph

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:11-12; 2:1; 3:3-6) What seems to be the primary difference between Paul's ministry approach and that of Apollos? Why does this create competing allegiances at Corinth? How does Paul address the issue? Can you think of any divisions over style within the Christian community in your region? What should you do as a result of those divisions?

• 1 month later...

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:11-12; 2:1; 3:3-6) What seems to be the primary difference between Paul's ministry approach and that of Apollos?

This is a challenging question to answer, method = technique = process = scheme = method.

I’m not 100% of the difference of ministry approaches, they each had talents and gifts given to them by God which they used as they were led and/or deemed best during the opportunity to use the talent and/or gift. They had different upbringings in different geological areas. Not only did that have different upbringing, more than likely they had different personalities. Even though they were different I think it’s extremely important not to throw the baby out with the bath water to differentiate and/or compare the two. It’s essential to identify Paul – Apollos, (Cephas and Christ), all shared the exact same doctrine—the Gospel of Christ. 

Paul shares in 1st Corinthians 3, Apollos was as servant of the Lords as he himself were.  One planted one watered, but God is the one that causes the growth, and thus is the only one who is anything.

Scripture shares Apollos is described as being “eloquent,” “mighty in the Scriptures,” “fervent in the spirit” and “instructed in the way of the Lord” Acts 18:24-28

Paul shared in 1 Corinthians 2:1-4 – “And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. … not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power”

My personal opinion, the point the Scripture makes in each instance isn’t so much that one speak with eloquence and the other doesn’t, but more so in each of these instances the Scripture demonstrated these men being used/lead of/by the Spirit lifting up Christ. As they lift Christ under submission, with authority/anointing/empowerment of the gift given by the Spirit, people were moved as the Spirit drew them near.   

Why does this create competing allegiances at Corinth?

People will like what they like, people connect with influence(s) that affect/reach them. To a degree everyone has biases and perhaps prejudices. These biases/prejudices could be labeled as immaturity or in truth it simply could be there’s a connection to one influence more so than the other.

In the case of Paul and Apollos, in 1 Corinthians 1, Paul stresses to focus on the BIG picture, (13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?), focus on Christ. Paul points out he and Apollos were not in competition, but worked in COOPERATION.

How does Paul address the issue?

He address the issue head on - Verse 5: “What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you believed. . . .” In other words, readjust the way you think about your favorite teacher. What are they? Servants.

Paul/Apollos both servants through whom you believed.” Through whom = the power that brought you to faith did not and does not originate in them. It flows through them. Paul nor Apollos were the Savior, they were not saviors. They were not the gospel -the Way, the Truth-and the Life. They were not the Comforter. They were Christ Jesus/God. They were willing servants/vessels. The servants do not create and/or originate the Bread of Life -hey deliver -they serve.

The Scriptures shares the people were pro-Paul or pro Apollos; wherein it doesn't suggest Paul or Apollos were haughty, or facilitated the difference. Paul made efforts to lead the people unto becoming mature in Christ.  

Can you think of any divisions over style within the Christian community in your region? 

There are so many denomination and even sub-denominations having split from a denomination. New denominations continue to form in this day and time just as they have over the years.   

What should you do as a result of those divisions? 

Continue to love Christ - continue extending love, grace – pray – CONTINUE to love Christ – remember the main FOCUS should be to live the example that Christ Himself demonstrated – to LOVE God -to Love others and to love ourselves. 

As Paul said else where under different circumstances:Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

Different approaches in sharing the gospel reach different people.  I will share the same message in different ways depending on whether I am speaking with highly educated politicians or with non-educated in my neighborhood.  This is where Paul says, "I am become all things to all men to save some."  It is never about competition with someone else over style or personality, but whether we are preaching Christ alone.

People will naturally gravitate toward a preacher that seems to connect better with them than someone else, even when they preach the same gospel.  God used Billy Sunday who butched the language and Jonathan Edwards who was highly educated.

Addressing any seeming comparisons head on is best, but doing it where the focus heads immediately to Jesus and Who He is rather then who you are or the other person.  When someone tells me they really like David Jeremiah or John Hagee, I say, "I do too", and we head toward talking about Jesus and how God can use each of us with differing gifts to reach people with the gospel.

Differences:  I don't focus on the different styles of preaching or the different preachers, I focus on what the Bible says in context and try to help people see Jesus in every line.  I will illustrate and call out some false teaching, but the focus is on the truth, learning the truth, and living the truth...all wrapped up in Jesus.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:50 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:11-12; 2:1; 3:3-6) What seems to be the primary difference between Paul's ministry approach and that of Apollos? Why does this create competing allegiances at Corinth? How does Paul address the issue? Can you think of any divisions over style within the Christian community in your region? What should you do as a result of those divisions?

1. Paul hints in I Cor:2:1 that he kept the message of the Gospel simple and to the point, rather than in lofty words of eloquence or human philosophy and wisdom,  as  the polished way Apollos taught and preached. Apollos was a trained speaker while Paul was a trained Rabbi, very much different in style and approach to subjects. Paul reminded them that each has different gifts and all are building and working to spread the same Gospel.

2. Paul and Apollos each attracted certain followers based on their style and perhaps even physical appearance, resulting in the sense that one was more desirable than the other and the people aligned themselves in different "camps"  rather than embracing the Gospel, which stands alone in instructing us that all believers are one body in Christ.

3. Paul addressed the Corinthian's immaturity, and their walking in the flesh resulting in factions and envious and unspiritual behavior and standards rather than  with spiritual discernment and behavior and heeding the message of the Gospel.

4. No, on the contrary large numbers of churches are working together to deal with the issues and needs in our area. It''s really amazing. A pastor from a smaller congregation asked the other pastors to pray, as his wife had accumulated $33,000 in medical bills which they could not pay. The other congregations raised the money to pay the debt and relieve them of the  burden. On Pentecost Sunday all of the pastors put their names in a "hat" and went to preach at whichever church they drew. Brother Lawrence, a Catholic, braved coming to preach at our Charismatic church. We loved hearing him. The Pastor who preached at the Catholic church said a woman came to him with tears streaming down her cheeks, saying I've prayed for this for years. 

5.  I'm not aware of any divisions. If there are and I become  aware of these divisions, I would pray for unity.

The primary difference between Paul and Apollos is how they present the Gospel and their appearances. Paul is less attractive than Apollos and also less educated. However Paul was once a Rabbi so the audience he will attract will be different than the one Apollos attracts. Since He is more attractive and his speech is more polished. He would probably attract people that work in the government and also people who are wealthy. It creates that because people think that they should remain loyal to the person instead of Christ. He tells them that Christ was crucified and that God gives the increase and that he and Apollos are just workers. Yes the Pentecostals thinking they are better than the rest of the churches. The Catholics believing the same thing. Pray for them to realize that unity is the answer. 

It is important to realize that both have a unique way of teaching.  Paul simply speaks so that he is understood by those he is speaking to and is schooled as a teacher. Remember Paul was a Rabbi.  Apollos was schooled in the technique of speaking to the masses. He uses his charm (Charisma) and mastery of language to teach.  Each uses what God has given them and each will reach different sector of the community.  God blessed Paul as an Apostle to bring the word to the Gentiles in many nations.  God blessed Apollos, as it seems, to encourage and enhance what Paul had already done.

The Corinthians were split between Paul and Apollos because they were attracted to the person speaking forgetting what was being said.  It could reflect our human condition to go with what sounds good to us forgetting that Christ is the center of all we believe.  It is the same today as you see some people love to listen to one Pastor because he/she speaks with eloquence while others choose another because he/she is down to earth in their teaching.  Nothing new under the sun!

Directly and pointedly reminding that it is Christ who died for us.  

Too many divisions are apparent.  The main feeling I have is that if all Christians took our basic beliefs, Christ Born, crucified, died, buried, resurrected, ascended, and set aside our "religious" beliefs - what people would see is the power of Christ arise.

Pray for unity in the Church of Christ.  Make Christ the center of all I do and love as Christ loved.  

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:11-12; 2:1; 3:3-6) What seems to be the primary difference between Paul's ministry approach and that of Apollos?

The primary difference between Paul’s ministry approach and that of Apollos is that of style: Apollo is eloquent, he has great fervor and speaks boldly. He is persuasive; however, “he uses his gift to declare Jesus.” HE only knew about John’s baptism unto repentant therefore He only was aware of part of the good news. Paul's ministry was through revelation from God and the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Apollo gift cause the early church to make comparison between the two, thus causing division.

Paul first letter to the Corinthian church addresses this matter in 1 Corinthian 1:11-12; 3:3-6 . We are all servant and are assigned to specific task.

Can you think of any divisions over style within the Christian community in your region?

Yes. There are several denomination started due to  splits of the church they came out of; often due to division from disagreement and jealousy. So often thinking they can do better., instead of supporting the Gospel of Christ Jesus and following His example.

we should teach God’s word and avoid making comparison as it is God that gives gift according to one’s ability.

Apollos was preaching the baptism of John and Paul was preaching the baptism of the Holy Spirit. But they were both teaching about Jesus. This created competing allegiances in Corinth because of differ stiles of preaching. Some liked what Apollos was saying and some liked what Paul was saying. Paul addressed the issue by saying one planted one watered and only God made them grow. There is all kinds of division over style within the Christian Community in all regions of the community. We have got to remember that is God that makes us grow and not our different worship styles.

a. Their manner of speaking and delivery. Apollos was a speaker in the tradition of Greek rhetorical oration, eloquent and polished. Paul lacked the style and polish that appealed to the Corinthians.

b. Some became followers of Paul. Some became followers of Apollos.

c. Paul basically tells the believers not to follow him or Apollos, but to follow Christ and Him alone. 

d. I have seen it in churches where people will prefer one Pastor over another because of the differences in their preaching styles. Sometimes this can cause a problem within that church.

e. Do as Paul did and encourage all to follow Christ and not one man over the other. We are all one in Christ.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:11-12; 2:1; 3:3-6)

Q. What seems to be the primary difference between Paul's ministry approach and that of Apollos?

A. Apollos is eloquent while Paul is simply- say it out simple and plain.

Q. Why does this create competing allegiances at Corinth?

A. The people were divided where some preferred Apollos while others preferred Paul.

Q. How does Paul address the issue?

A. He told them that there was no need for such division because the most important thing was to preach the Gospel of Christ and not to bother about who is better in presenting it.

Q. Can you think of any divisions over style within the Christian community in your region?

A. I can think of any now.

Q.  What should you do as a result of those divisions?

A. Find a way of resolving the cause of the division

The division is about style and training. Apollos is a trained speaker in the Greek tradition, while Paul has to defend himself against charges that he lacks the skills of formal Greek rhetorical oratory. Paul is a trained rabbi, a Bible teacher, and excellent at debate. But he is not formally trained in the Greek fashion. He lacks the style and polish that appeals to the Corinthians.

It creates competing allegiances in Corinth as some want to follow Paul and some Apollos.  There is jealousy and quarrelling among them causing division.

Paul calls them worldly and acting like mere worldly men.  He reminds them that after all Apollos and Paul are only servants of God through whom they came to believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Lord had assigned to each his task. "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow."

Unity is the solution to divisions.  Comparing one servant of God to another isn't useful (Galatians 6:4), and can be divisive. We must work hard to avoid comparisons and divisions, and work and pray for the unity of the church (Ephesians 4:1).

( 1 Corinthians 1:11-12: 2:1: 3:3-6;) The primary difference between Paul's ministry approach and that of Apollos is about style and training. Apollos is a trained speaker in the Greek tradition, while Paul has to defend himself against charges that he lacks the skills of formal Greek rhetorical oratory. Paul lacks the type and polish that appeals to the Corinthians. 

Paul addresses this issue by highlighting the importance of unity in the Church. In Ephesians 4: 3 he says" Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit  through the the bond of peace".

Yes.Certainly there can be divisions over style within  the Christian community . It is based on the style of preaching, worship  etc. People come together from various backgrounds in the Church and prefer to have someone leading them that appeals to their style. We have to work together all differences and as Paul asserts we have to strive to be united and function as the Church of Jesus.

1.     What seems to be the primary difference between Paul's ministry approach and that of Apollos?

Education vs “gained knowledge”. I’m not sure if I’m saying this right but to make a comparison: think of an officer in the military who has just came out of the academy vs a non-commissioned officer who has been on the line for a number of years. Although what information is reaped from being educated about different scenarios is valuable, that which the non-com has gained is much more valuable in survival and winning because no 2 situations are going to be alike. In other words, he has a better field of view of what is really going on. In Paul & Apollo’s case, Paul was taught by the original author whereas Apollo has been taught by man, but he doesn’t know the whole story.

2.     Why does this create competing allegiances at Corinth?

I would compare it to the current political situation in the U.S. While all the politicians have a “politically correct” mannerism about them the POTUS doesn’t.

3.     How does Paul address the issue?

Paul made it clear that both were trying to achieve the same end, that in-fighting pushes against that idea and that they need to come together as one if they are to get anything done.

4.     Can you think of any divisions over style within the Christian community in your region?

I would think that there seems to be a push toward success being measured in dollars. That is sad and a subject I wouldn’t be qualified to discuss because I’m not the smartest cookie in the pan but is so wrong.

5.     What should you do as a result of those divisions?

I think the biggest thing I would do would be to put an end to these multi-million-dollar buildings (which they call God’s house) and make things much simpler. The poorest of the population needs to not be intimidated by the big dollar people and not feel like they’re not good enough to walk into a service because they might smell from lack of shower or clean clothes. I know, they all say “that’s not us, all are welcome here” while at the same time getting more comfortable by the day with the ways of the world.

The primary difference is that Paul does not speak as eloquently as Apollos does. He doesn't use Greek rhetorical speech to persuade people. Paul speaks in his own style from what he has learned as a rabbi and what the Lord told him. He did not use anecdotes or examples to get listener's attention as Apollos did. He did not try to get them on his side by appealing to their emotions. He stated the truth as found in the Bible and what revelations given from the Lord.. He used facts to argue and make his points and the Greeks were used to more eloquent speeches. 

Some of the people that were won over by Apollos are jealous because Paul has come and want to affirm their allegiance to Apollos. They feel threatened by Paul and try to make him feel bad by saying that he is not a good speaker and holds no weight. Then some others say they belong to or follow Cephas or Christ. And suddenly everyone is fighting with each other instead of working together.

Paul tells them that they are still worldly and acting like mere men. That it does not matter who did what only that one planted and the other watered but it was God who made it grow. It was God who made the church in Ephesus grow. It was God who brought men to Him not paul or Apollos; they were only servants doing what they were told to do.That everything was theirs and they belonged to Christ and God was over Him. That everyone should work in unity.

The only thing I can think of is in the music area before; that ones in our church and from other places said they liked some musical groups better than others who came. It was just a matter of opinion and taste and nothing to get upset over. The only time there was a problem was years ago when we had a church split. An older member stated she liked the old hymns better than the praise music. She eventually left the church; i did not feel it was worth it to defend my likes and dislikes to her.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:50 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. They both had different styles of preaching: Paul's preaching was not eloquent ln speech or wisdom but in the power and demonstration of the Spirit.  Apollos was  eloquent,  a trained speaker in the Greek tradition, and spoke boldly.

b. There were contentions among the people as to who they were following.  For while one says, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos, I am of Cephas, I follow Christ.

c. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men? 4  For when one says, 'I follow Paul,' and another, 'I follow Apollos,' are you not mere men? 5  What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe -- as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6  I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow." (1 Corinthians 3:3-6)

d. Yes, each Pastor/Preacher is different but each one has something to offer to the Body of Christ. And I believe God has made it this way.  He has given each one special gifts, as he has the five fold ministry.  It is like a puzzle fitting all the pieces together - revelation, truth, the witness of the Spirit and agreement with the Word of God.

e.  Love your brother and sisters in Christ.  If it witnesses to your Spirit as Truth and agrees with the Word of God - receive it.

What seems to be the primary difference between Paul's ministry approach and that of Apollos? 

Apollos was a well-educated Jew from Alexandria in Egypt, and we know that he was well acquainted with the Old Testament scriptures. He arrived in Ephesus and began to teach in the synagogue. Aquila and his wife Priscilla heard him speaking, but they soon realized that his teaching was incomplete, so they took him aside and brought him up to date with doctrinal teaching about Christ. 
The drawback was that “he was acquainted only with the baptism of John.” Meaning that he knew about how John had called the nation of Israel to repentance, in preparation for the coming of the Messiah. Apollos only taught about the repentance from sin, but the whole message was to repent from sin and then also to believe in Christ. Apollos had not yet learned about the indwelling and regeneration of the Holy Spirit at the time of conversion, however, once he knew the complete message he was used mightily by God. After this, Apollos went to preach in Achaia, especially at Corinth, where he was very effective in representing the claims of Christ to the Jews. With his natural gifts, he had attracted a following among the church in Corinth, and was very useful in "watering" the spiritual seed which Paul had planted earlier. Being a skilled teacher of Bible truth and much appreciated by the believers there, this unfortunately produced a schism in the church as many of the Corinthian believers became attached to him, with some taking Apollos' part, some Paul's, and some staying out of the conflict. Apollos never encouraged this to happen and Paul never blamed him for the situation. Paul had sought to glory God and not himself. He did not want to use big words that would sound wise and show him off as an orator or philosopher. All he wanted was to preach Christ Crucified. We know he must have been a brilliant scholar and could easily have given the Corinthians all sorts of intellectual arguments. 
Paul deals with this by stating that Christ is not divided, and neither should we be. Paul was deeply hurt and appeals for unity based on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ – on all that our Lord is and has done. He made a conscious and deliberate decision to abandon any worldly wisdom and rather rely on the power of the Holy Spirit. Paul knew that the gospel of God’s wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption cannot be obtained through human wisdom. So he made sure that the lives of the new Christians rested securely not in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. God’s Word edifies and unites, whereas human opinions only confuse and divide. We are to exalt His name which will result in unity, and not the name of men which can only lead to divisions. It is the same today; when we are not focused on Jesus Christ we have discord and disunity. It is only when our attention is focused on our Lord that we will have less time for thinking of our selves or others in the congregation and getting up to mischief.
Like all over the world, there are churches in my community where it’s all about entertainment and the personalities of their leaders. Thankfully, most are about teaching the Word, the truth – about glorifying the Lord. It’s not about that which amuses, entertains, or generally appeals to the emotions. It is this selfishness that is at the heart of sinful behaviour and occurs were ever people congregate – a church or a sport club or whatever. Of course this selfishness is a characteristic behaviour of a child where their only concern is its own comfort and attention. So one of the ways to tear down barriers that divide us is to create mature Christians who are focussed on our Lord. This needs to be done with proper teaching of the Word – not a watered down version of the Word. 
Being over 80 years old, I have seen fighting, gossiping, criticism, hatred, and bitterness displayed in churches. Others again had elite cliques in the congregation. I would say the same problems we have today in our churches must have occurred in Corinth. Remembering that the church then, comprised of brothers and sisters new to Christianity; a lot of divisions must have been caused also by pure ignorance. Our own self-interest, and selfishness is the root cause of most of the problems in any church - wanting to have our own way. Like the church in Corinth, today we also have the problem of personality cults emerging and causing divisions. They were exalting the names of mere men and this could only lead to divisions. It is only when we exalt the name of the Lord Jesus that there will be unity in the church.   

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:11-12; 2:1; 3:3-6) What seems to be the primary difference between Paul's ministry approach and that of Apollos? Paul’s approach is the gospel of Jesus Christ and on the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Apollos’s is about John the Baptist. Apollos is very eloquent in his Greek theology. His personality had the better of him in Corinth, thus he was able to water what Paul had sown in its simplicity there.Apollos understanding of the gospel is incomplete since he was only acquainted with the baptism of John. He did not know the full magnitude of Jesus resurrection, Aqila and Pricilla taught him about what he did not know about Jesus.Then with a clearer understanding he was able to teach the true Christian faith. Paul then makes things clear as he teaches each are servants and each one does the work that the Lord gave to him. One sows one waters and only God grows.

Why does this create competing allegiances at Corinth? Apollos eloquent preaching led some of the listeners to give more credit to him than Paul thus creating comparison and idolizing man rather than truly listening to the gospel without any hindrance.

How does Paul address the issue? None should get the glory except God himself. Paul teaches all are servants of God who do the work given to him by the Lord.

Can you think of any divisions over style within the Christian community in your region? Yes there is much division when it comes to worship. For example when it comes to stringed instruments some encourage while others do not. This leads to one party seeing the other as heretics. Another example is when reading the word and how preachers interpret the word-some tend to look to the history and context of it while others tend to in cooperate personal experiences and try to find themselves in it.

What should you do as a result of those divisions? Continue to serve the Lord the best I can and be able not to over please man in my quest, all with the help of the Holy Spirit. At the same time division can be good if it is based on biblical grounds.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:50 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The primary difference between Paul's ministry approach and that of Apollos is that Apollos was a trained Greek speaker, Paul is a bible teacher and debater. He is not trained in the Greek fashion. 

Paul addresses the Corinthians issue by declaring that his teachings were demonstrations of the power of the Holy Spirit.

I do not recognize any divisions over style in preaching in my area.

If there were divisions among Christians in the area over a style of preaching it would be wise to inform those that no one is greater than another, it is by their gifts given by the Holy Spirit that they declare the gospel.

What seems to be the primary difference between Paul's ministry approach and that of Apollos?

Apollos is eloquent and persuasive man.

There was division in the church of Corinth because people began to compare Paul and Apollos of the gifts each had.

How does Paul address the issue? Can you think of any divisions over style within the Christian community in your region? What should you do as a result of those divisions?

Paul writes a letter to the Corinthian church and made it clear the he and Apollos were both servants of the Lord.  Pastors today have different styles where one may seem to be more entertaining than others.  However, just like Paul and Apollos, they are servants of the Lord.  It should not matter how  Pastor's deliver their message but the substance of their message.

• 2 years later...

(1 Corinthians 1:11-12; 2:1; 3:3-6) What seems to be the primary difference between Paul's ministry approach and that of Apollos?

Apollos is more eloquent in speech. Paul is a rabbi/teacher, so his method is in debating issues. 

Both methods are useful. It is not important how it is brought across but WHAT. Both were preaching about Christ. Both were using the gift God had bestowed them with. Apollos was not trying to imitate Paul. He presented the message as God enabled him to. He was not trying to be someone he was not meant to be. 

The competing was not between Paul and Apollos but the hearers were the ones trying to cause one to be more important than the other one. 

Paul addresses it head-on. Making them realize its immature to quibble about something like that. 

One sows, one waters and God brings about the end result anyway. 

Paul was not against Apollos. He was for unity not division. This grieved him greatly. 

Yes. Unfortunately division does occur. If it is not about the preaching it is about dress and what is allowed or taken to be taboo in the lifestyle of a so called Christian. 

Pray and ask God for unity. 

• 1 year later...

Style reflects a way of thinking -- differences in style are not necessarily shallow. I've watched rabbis speak very fast, for example -- almost unintelligibly. When they have to recite a long portion of scripture, they mutter the words, rocking back and forth on the heels of their shoes, bowing their head toward the torah scroll. They do not face the audience. Their "apologetics" includes a constant return to a particular point, digging into it by referencing other similar points using an elaborate and convoluted approach toward solving disputes. They believe God has one answer to every theological disagreement.

This may be very Western of me, but I think there's a momentum or direction in the way the church approaches ministry. Those who look back and cling to ways of doing ministry that worked well in the past will be left behind. It's neither helpful to jump on every fad OR to stay put. Change happens. The Hebrew way of thinking looks back ... it "remembers." Greeks, as Westerners, look forward and are willing to adapt. Both approaches have strengths and weaknesses.

Greeks throw the thought-net wider. They don't merely refer to a handful of religious documents, but enjoy reasoning and thinking broadly. They use logic. They interact with non-scriptural ideas. All ideas and sources can be used as long as they contribute to the flow of the discussion. When Paul talks about the unknown god, he's using Greek logic -- when he talks about eating food that's unclean, he's using Hebrew ways of thinking.

Greek argumentation expands the topic -- Hebrew argumentation narrows it. So it's not only that Apollos is eloquent and Paul stumbles with words, but that Apollos is trained to argue and think differently than Paul. Style emerges out of thinking ... although, perhaps, the other way around is also true.

Anyway, Paul was pretty good at both Greek and Hebrew ways of thinking though most comfortable with the latter.

Why does this create competing allegiances at Corinth? How does Paul address the issue?

People gravitate toward speakers who think in ways they themselves think. There's nothing wrong with this. It does, however, limit the range of thought and could create competing alliances or allegiances. It's no different than believers who love the wild dancing in some charismatic circles v. believers who prefer the staid, ritualized yet beautiful liturgy of the Anglican church; both the carefully reasoned and laid out sermons of New England Presbyterians v the emotion-bound sermons of some evangelical preachers are acceptable in the Christian church.

Paul simply says that all ways of thinking are permitted and used by God. There are ideas, of course, that are clearly unbiblical or wrong, but all ways are permitted with which people reason, emote and come to these conclusions. Perhaps Paul was most worried that the church would split between former Jews and former gentiles.

When there is choice, believers vote with their feet, so to speak. They participate in or join churches and other groups in which they feel most comfortable and that meets their needs and approach. It's a bit like shopping. 

Absolutely nothing. Just let the body of Christ express itself and let believers find congregations that fit them. The church is self-correcting, or should I say that theological errors generally work themselves out over time. The range of thinking that exists is mostly, though not entirely, permissible and biblical.  A strong and growing church will divide and particularize -- a weak church desperately seeks to paper over differences ecumenically.

The ecumenical movement of the latter twentieth-century within the United States was conceived by Christian leaders who thought they could erase divisions. It fizzled. Rightly. It was just another top-down solution to a problem that didn't exist.