JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Power Evangelism

Pastor Ralph

Q3. (Acts 19:11-19) Why do so many contemporary churches expect to evangelize effectively in the 21st century without signs and wonders? What are we afraid of? How do we identify people in our congregations whom God has gifted with ministries of healing, faith, and miracles? What will it take to move in this direction for you? For your church?

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Acts 19:11-19) Why do so many contemporary churches expect to evangelize effectively in the 21st century without signs and wonders? What are we afraid of? How do we identify people in our congregations whom God has gifted with ministries of healing, faith, and miracles? What will it take to move in this direction for you? For your church?

They believe that signs and wonders have passed and no longer are existence and are no longer needed for ministry. We are afraid of what people will think I believe in this century. I believe we have to do it through this spiritual gifts inventory where we can see what each person has. For me I already do this in a ministry that I have. For my church I am not sure the pastor does not believe like me. 

On 8/28/2019 at 10:53 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1.  Many churches teach that Holy Spirit is no longer functioning today (He retired?)  So they use gimmicks, flashing strobe lights, huge sound systems, videos to entertain, coffee and donuts, programs, loud music. (Old folks want hymns, which young ones dislike, and the young like the loud upbeat music which puts off the older people. There is a church in town with a small sanctuary with guitar music and hymns for older people, and the younger people are in a separate place with their rock music and the sermon is piped into both rooms. How SAD! We have become "CONSUMER" Christians asking what am I going to get at church today, instead of worshipers whose hearts are to give glory to God and to be used of Him in service or in allowing His gifts to flow through us to bless the body of Christ....so the Gospel is relatively stagnant.

2.  I think that the fear is if/when Holy Spirit "shows up" some will be offended  and will leave and their numbers will decline. (some I'm sure have been "burned" by a few  T.V. ministries faking miracles, and they don't believe miracles really happen today) My back injury from a rollover car accident was healed while I was watching the 700 club, and Demos Shakarian gave a word of knowledge that a lady with a back injury who is watching, is being healed right now....and bam! I was instantly healed. But there are some charlatans out there who cast doubt on real healings. I was healed from night blindness while praying for my husband to be healed from a serious illness! Praise God Holy Spirit is alive and all Powerful!

3. They are easy to identify, because the fruit which is produced through them is visible and lasting, God is glorified, and lives are changed!

4. It has been helpful to pray about identifying my gifts and learning that mine are evangelism, encouragement and faith. (We are all given a measure of faith, but I learned that there is a gift of faith to believe for the unusual which takes many years to manifest...as did Abraham and Sarah's gift of Isaac, and apparently is it, since I've spent most of my Christian walk, waiting. 

5. We're praying for our church. The gifts are taught, but we do not see "manifestations" of them very often. I think unbelief is the big factor. Many are "stuck" in the old traditions or have been taught that Holy Spirit is no longer involved today. 

We need the gifts today, in order to evangelize as Paul and the other disciples/Apostles did. When I was at a Kathryn Kuhlman crusade, the healings started spontaneously all over the coliseum while we were worshipping.....before she began to preach. I remember going and expecting to see miracles because I'd heard that her's was a healing ministry. She never left the stage and no one touched those who were healed, but Holy Spirit was there in POWER! I was in the balcony and observed the miracles! How I long for the churches to be blessed this way again!

Q3. (Acts 19:11-19) Why do so many contemporary churches expect to evangelize effectively in the 21st century without signs and wonders?

I cannot truthfully answer this question other than via speculation because I do not know the minds of the people within each congregation. Secondly, within each assembly/congregation there is more than likely a remnant that many believe in doing so with signs and wonders. 

I think it’s important to be a surrendered and willing vessel unto the leading of the Holy Spirit so that those evangelizing do not of themselves concoct signs and wonders. I believe if God ordains the sign and/or wonder it will manifest. 

Not to disrespect anyone, on some occasion, but not every occasion I was used by God in the laying on of hands wherein health was restored to the person I laid hands on.  There were times when the restoration manifested physically and other times inwardly (as the person shared with me at a later time). I’ve never professed I had the gift of healing and/or move from place to place stating so; as God lead me on occasion to do so I have.  

God has also lead me to speak to situations, after doing do some have shared they received the blessedness the Lord desired in their life. In essence, in my life the signs and wonders have followed after me. The manner in which the Lord has used me has been perhaps to my belief in which signs and wonders will follow after me more so than my pronouncing I have this or that gift. If He tells me the speak I speak; if He tells me to lay hand I lay hands; it He tells me to teach I teach, etc…  

What are we afraid of? 

I do not know, but I believe some do not believe signs and wonders are for the 21 Century; but believe it was more so for the establishing of the Gospel in Christ during the times of the Apostles.

I do not know, but I believe some do not believe in sharing/offering the Gospel "plus" something.

I do not know, but I believe some do not seek to discern if the signs and wonders are godly or from the adversary, (Matthew 24:24/ Mark 13:22/ John 4:48 2 Thessalonians 2:9/Revelation 16:14; Acts 14:3, Romans 15:9, 2 Corinthians, Hebrews 2:4), and thereby are not willing to be a willing vessel in this regard by the Lord.

I do not know, but I believe due to hireling being exposed some do not want to be seen in the same light.

I believe there are infinite speculations that can be shared in this regard.  

How do we identify people in our congregations whom God has gifted with ministries of healing, faith, and miracles?

I believe the Lord will reveal those that are gifted by Him!

What will it take to move in this direction for you?

As for me I believe signs and wonders are active today, therefore as for me, as the Lord leads.

For your church?

Many members where I fellowship believe signs and wonder; MANY seek to witness and/or be moved in demonstration via sings and wonders. 

I have taught and when I teach in this regard, I share the Hebrews saw many sings and wonders. As stated “Miracles don't produce saving faith, but they gain a sympathetic audience for the saving gospel.

I share even though signs and wonders according to my understanding of the Scriptures are still an active part of our witness the Gospel is the crux of our witness. Signs and wonders should not the PRINCIPLE witness of our witness unto God, but that His love through Christ Jesus should be the PRINCIPLE witness. Our reflective light should be the reflection of The Light; a change in our lives for His glory and not that of our own.

It appears that many churches have forgotten that Jesus said the " Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. " John 14:12-14.  I would think that they only believe that the signs and wonders were for the early church and not for the 21st century but the Scripture states "whoever" is that not for today.  Are we not believers, the "whoevers"?  

I am not sure what they are afraid of but it certainly appears fear of what people might think is one, and perhaps fear of persecution, rejection, and other sanctions that can be imposed on them.  

I believe that the Holy Spirit will identify those with spiritual gifts that will lead to a ministry.  We all have gift some are stronger than others and are more visible.  Scripture state that we are given gifts and that we should use them to the degree that we have been blessed.  This in and of itself is a way to identify those blessed with special gifts. 

I believe in signs and wonders for today.  I do not believe that they are the focal point of evangelism but a confirmation of what has been shared. A showing of the power of the true God.

I don't really know what the church can do but continue to rely on the Holy Spirit to further show us through signs and wonders, through physical healing, through break-throughs, through miraculous happenings, etc. so that the church will continue to grow spiritually.

Q3. (Acts 19:11-19) Q. Why do so many contemporary churches expect to evangelize effectively in the 21st century without signs and wonders?

A. There might be several reasons: They have no confidence that they can do that; doubt in the use of Go's power; lack of experience using the power of God to attract people to God etc.

Q. What are we afraid of?

A. Failure.

Q. How do we identify people in our congregations whom God has gifted with ministries of healing, faith, and miracles?

A. By encouraging everyone to try.

Q. What will it take to move in this direction for you?

A. Trial and total dependence in the Lord and His Spirit/power

Q. For your church?

A. Same above

Q3. (Acts 19:11-19) Why do so many contemporary churches expect to evangelize effectively in the 21st century without signs and wonders?

Some Contemporary churches today seem to care more about the numbers and how to keep the church functioning. However, others  welcome  signs and wonder when faith and the power of the Holy Spirit is manifested. 

What are we afraid of?

That we don’t have the spiritual gift or authority needed, and fear of challenges or wonder is it desire, instead of God’s power.

How do we identify people in our congregations whom God has gifted with ministries of healing, faith, and miracles?

We identify these people by their boldness and action

I have no problem; I serve on the pray and anointing team at the church I attend. The pastor totally believes in healing and spiritual gift, in fact, we are in a year study on spiritual gift so others will understand what the scripture say.

For your church?
presently active.

1. I believe in signs and wonders.  I still preach healing and I have witnessed outright healing - NOT showmanship.  It appears God uses more signs and wonders in other countries and America, as a whole, is not seeing signs and wonders due to unbelief.  Jesus said that the sign of Jonah was enough.  Also, we have creation, all of Scripture, Christian history, the incarnation, the cross, the resurrection, the New Testament church and the apostles.  If people will not believe because of all this, what would signs and wonders do?  Regardless, I believe God still works miracles today...every time someone receives Christ.  I have witnessed radical transformation of life through saved murderers, rapists, drug dealers, but these are not often.  I am open to God doing whatever He desires because He is Sovereign.

2. I fear no gifts.  I fear only God.  I look forward to God doing miraculous things.  I pray for the miraculous, not the specktacular but the miraculous.

3. God makes clear who has which gifts.  It is genuine and not self-serving or drawing attention to self.  Many today, especially on TV, appear to be in the "healing business" for the money and too often are proven as false teachers.

4. Persecution may draw more signs and wonders out.  We must teach ALL of Scripture and then practice all of Scripture depending upon the Holy Spirit.

5. For our church:  We are open to God's movement, to God's miracles and we have seen some miracles of healing.  It is never for "show' but people testify of God touching them in a miraculous way and give Him credit and glory and we rejoice with them.

(Acts 19:11-19)Many contemporary churches expect to evangelize effectively in the 21st century without signs and wonders  because  they may rely more on their wisdom than on God's power.  Jesus is the Head of the Church and we need to depend on God and His Holy Spirit to lead us and guide us and not lead through our wisdom. When you truly yield to God and totally depend on Him signs and wonders are sure to follow.

We may be afraid of the congregation itself or what they will think than trusting God.

The Holy Spirit will show us ministers who are gifted with healing, faith and miracles. You know a person by his fruit. If he is bearing the fruit of repentance ,you will notice the gifts operating in Him and through him. God will show it to us.

To move in this direction you need to pray and ask God to lead you. You also need to sharpen the gift within you by seeking counsel  from the elders.

F or our church: pray for those who are gifted and encourage them to move forward and use their God given gifts.

Probably the reason that many contemporary churches don’t effectively evangelize in the 21st century is that don’t believe in sign and wonders that God has provided for them. They are probably afraid of being laughed at for believing such things. If you can’t see it then you don’t believe it. We might identify people in our congregations whom God had gifted with ministries of healing and faith and miracles as being crazy because we don’t believe that they can do these things. There has been too many people who made money on these types of things and they didn’t have the spirit to do them. But I have seen it happen so I believe in it but I am still very caucus in believing these miracles.

Q3. (Acts 19:11-19)

1.     Why do so many contemporary churches expect to evangelize effectively in the 21st century without signs and wonders?

Could it be that signs and wonders just aren’t going to take place where the people’s hearts are hardened against Christ? In the U.S., most have heard about Jesus, yet many go around laughing at the “weak” believers, using His name in vain. This is more of a resistance movement against someone they know about yet refuse to accept the truth (not in them). Jesus said there would be no signs given to a people like this:

Matthew 12:39 But He answered and said to them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.

Luke 11:29 And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonah the prophet.

That could explain why miracles take place where the people have never heard of Christ. It is places like that you often times find a demon oppressed people looking for an escape to peace.

2.     What are we afraid of?

For some, its fear, for some, it’s frustration, and yet for others, they don’t worry about what people think and continue praying and continue with boldness.

For those consumed with fear, there is a verse which needs to be remembered:

Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Is fear an emotion or a lack of faith in what Christ has already taken care of? Or, is it unbelief? Not believing that the power is there? This question has turned into a myriad of questions which need answered. From what I’m seeing, fear, in this situation is dangerous and needs to be met head on.

I also picture frustration among believers trying to deal with a population of believers who simply don’t believe the truth. At-least not the whole truth and nothing but the truth. This points to the people who say that signs and miracles have ended right after the apostolic period in history. Their “get out of jail free” card is:

1 Corinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

It can be said that perfect came when Jesus was here, but if that were the case signs and wonders would have left with him and this was written after Jesus returned to be with the Father. In that case, we’re still waiting perfection because I don’t see that happening till Jesus returns and will make all things perfect.

It is frustrating to go to a church service and listen to someone preach what he was taught by men rather that what the Bible teaches. There are too many different doctrines being taught but the Bible remains the same. I don’t understand the pride that goes into twisting a verse to meet your agenda rather that serving the people.

The people, for the most part have become Sunday morning Christians, putting on their most expensive costumes, jewelry, etc. Much has become a vanity fair of sorts. You walk in and smell the most expensive of perfumes, heels clicking the floor like a herd of horses, etc., while just outside the door are the homeless who, although they say all are welcome, they really don’t want them inside.

Will there be signs and miracles in this atmosphere? The population of believers who really seek the truth are few because they think they can live on one meal a week, one good sugar coated piece of candy for the week when they have access to all the answers..

My apologies for the rant which I will now end before it goes off in a direction contrary to the question, but it is really frustrating to offer to pray for a person who tells you their doctor has things under control. If they only realized who the doctor really is.

To those moving ahead boldly, I salute you.

3.     How do we identify people in our congregations whom God has gifted with ministries of healing, faith, and miracles?

By their fruit. If a person lays hands on someone and prays for a healing and the person receives it, you can believe they have a gift for healing. Such a person won’t make a big to do about it or ask for money.

4.     What will it take to move in this direction for you? For your church?

In my case, I will have to come out of the bubble I have been in for a number of years and I have felt it coming for a long time. I keep praying for God to use me, and maybe He already is, and I don’t even know it. That would be nice. I know that one thing I have to do is learn the difference between forceful and boldly. The problem with being forceful is it drives you into situations where you are doing exactly the opposite of what you are supposed to be doing. A verse I often lean on when I become frustrated or discouraged is Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

The following link explains the way I feel more accurately than I can as I myself am not what one would call an “eloquent speaker”.

https://www1.cbn.com/biblestudy/signs-and-wonders-in-the-early-post-apostolic-era

I believe that many churches today believe that the time for signs and wonders has passed. That it was done in the early church when the apostles first began. In order for people to realize that it was God who sent these men to preach about Him and salvation. That once the Bible was finished signs and wonders ceased as well. That all we need to do now is to just preach the Word and people will listen. That God does not cause miracles to happen just because we ask Him to and like Jesus stated the multitude only came to Him to see miracles happen and not to hear the Word. 

I think we are afraid that people will place more importance on signs and wonders then on the hearing the gospel preached . That denominations cannot agree on the main points and so some let it go. We are afraid that we will construe emotionalism for real faith and some will be lost. That preaching is more important than healings or anything else. That Charismatics and Pentecostals have taken this thing too far and totally misunderstood what the scripture says about it. We are afraid that we all will become a bunch of holy rollers and be made fun of by people on the outside.

We can use spiritual gift tests to discern who has these gifts in our churches. Yet some pastors like mine believe that it no longer exists and they are unnecessary now. I myself speak in tongues and mainly use it at home to pray to God or pray over my daughter when she is not doing well.For my church it will take God showing my pastor that he is in error before he changes his mind and it will take that for some of the other members too.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:53 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  They cannot, effectively,  people need to hear by the Spirit, mostly they are trusting in themselves, not on the power of God.  

b.  Our Ego - Afraid it won't happen.  We are not believing what the Word says.   They will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” (Mark 16:18c) We need to know who we are in Christ and that he has given us Authority.  Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. (Luke 10:19)

c. You know them by their words and actions and being led by the Spirit of God.

d. Get in the Word, Believe, pray in the Spirit, and look for the Spirit's leading and guiding.

e. People need to know - This song comes to mind:   Be bold, Be strong, for the Lord your God is with you. I am not afraid, I am not dismayed, because I'm walking in faith and victory, Come on and walk in faith and victory, For the Lord your God is with you.

Q3. (Acts 19:11-19) 
Why do so many contemporary churches expect to evangelize effectively in the 21st century without signs and wonders? 
What are we afraid of? 
For your church? 

This is a large grey area for me. Living in South Africa, I’ve seen so much abuse of innocent people. There are so called churches opening up in shops all around CBDs. They promise so much from healing, to improved personal relationships, to great wealth and prosperity. The people are in a desperate situation which makes them so gullible, and they become prime targets for this type of scam.
These “churches” are like powers of darkness who prey on their ignorance and superstitions, keeping people filled with wonder and delight, locking them into misery and heartache, fear, hostility and emptiness. I’ve seen these, so called, prophets, “faith-healers”, false teachers amass great wealth. I hope I’m not too cynical, but I cannot see our Lord’s name being used in such devious schemes.
This is blasphemy of the worst kind. Our churches should be operating in the power of the Spirit, and by the authority of the Word. 

Q3. (Acts 19:11-19) Why do so many contemporary churches expect to evangelize effectively in the 21st century without signs and wonders? For the fear that they may not see any signs and wonders. So they just evangelize using their own strength, not confident where they stand with Jesus. Not really practicing the authority given by Jesus in his name. It could also be that they themselves do not believe n signs and wonders. It could also be that they are burned out.

What are we afraid of? I guess the fear comes in as now there are so many preachers and pastors preach and say so many teachings. Sometimes we are just taken into them. When we do not read the word of word for ourselves and depend on others

How do we identify people in our congregations whom God has gifted with ministries of healing, faith, and miracles? We identify them from the fruits of their works. We can identify them through their love for others and through their humility and humbleness in carrying out what they do. When we are with them there is always a sense of peace and joy radiating out from them and not only that, this peace and joy and love that touches us and refreshes us and rejuvenates us and in turn makes us want to take it and pour it out on others we meet.

What will it take to move in this direction for you? To move in this direction I need to completely surrender unto the Lord and literary rest in His presence. I need to exercise radical faith, the power, the love and self discipline that the Lord has given me to the fullest. I need to declare that all though I go through abandonment, loneliness, uncertainty, regrets disappointments, fear, sadness, frustration and anger that my Jesus will never forsake me more frequently than I think. I need to share that if I do not go through these trials and tribulation I cannot say that I have faith and that my faith is maturing every single day. 

For your church? I am sorry I can’t say much to this question. As for me, my husband and my children, we are looking for a word based church to go to right now. However we are members of Eagelsnest Malaysia. We are involved in a 24/7 Prayer house where we live. All our lives we have been in a church that did not teach about being born again. We never read the word of God as it should be read. We were so much into rituals and tradition right until the time there was awakening when one of our child became ill, our lives took a turn and through the storm up until now, we came to know the Lord for who He really is. The Lord has called us to Him through a perfect storm.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:53 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Many contemporary churches of today expect to evangelize without signs and wonders because they believe these gifts that were provided by the individuals faith and the Holy Spirit were  only needed in the early church growth and do not need them today.

Many churches do not want to be accused of fake miracles or performing magic to in non-believers. 

We identify people in our congregation who have one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit as deep faith believers, some have become evangelist.

Our congregation has no problem with the gifts of healing, prophecy and miracles. However, it is with great caution that these individuals are truly using these gifts and not counterfeits. That they are of a humble spirit, lead by the Lord and are prayer warriors. These are just a few characteristics the gifted ones will display in their ministries.   

• 1 month later...

We live in a scientific age, and lack the simple faith of those early disciples.  We no longer look to the church for healing, but to the medical profession.  Therefore, we often fail to identify and encourage those who have the gifts of healing and exorcism.

We are afraid of things that cannot be scientifically proven, because then we would "lose control"  and have to give the glory to God

We must encourage those who have these gifts and not belittle them.   We must pray that God would identify these people for us, and that they will be willing to accept the call in humility, knowing that healing is of God and not of man.   

I would have to have a clear message from God to know that this is indeed the path that He wishes me to walk.  The church would have to be open to  the prompting of the Holy Spirit - and I believe that the congregation where I worship does have this openness.

• 2 years later...

Acts 19:11-19) Why do so many contemporary churches expect to evangelize effectively in the 21st century without signs and wonders?

What are we afraid of?

For your church?

I guess one is scared of the "unknown", of the different. I have just recently read "God's Generals". 

It is scary how easy it is to move off the path God called you on. 

There has been so much scam etc with different Tele-evangelism. It puts one off and makes one even miss out on that which is real and wholesome. 

I personally have experienced miracle healings in my life on more than one occasion. Not only in healing but also financially. 

I know that I serve a miracle-working God. I have no problem with asking Him to intervene in healing or whatever. 

• 1 year later...

I have never seen signs or wonders used EFFECTIVELY in evangelism, though have read about such things occurring in other countries and in different times. As a Westerner, I have been taught that everything, in time, will gain an explanation, that miracles don't exist except in the minds of "primitive, emotional and gullible" people. 

The impact of signs and wonders is contingent on the ability of people to accept them as such. If a sign is only seen as a natural occurrence awaiting explanation, then it will never not rise to the level of "wonderful" to those who have this godless mentality. Signs and wonders done among this cohort, then, would be less a tool for evangelism than a prompt for scientific inquiry.

--

I have to admit that I often doubt God's hand in things that have happened to me which "beat the odds." Lately, in my life, events have been happening that truly seem like an expression of His care and will, but I'm never sure. I praise Him obediently and with hope, but my faith wavers. Was that really God?

It seems very faithless to ask God to see a sign or wonder solely to confirm they exist. It would be a gigantic act of faith, however, to be given by God the gift or strength to perform signs and wonders in front of those who do not believe.

Of course God COULD do miracles. That's not the issue. My faith wavers when I must assert that that God WILL do miracles when prompted. So many promises in the bible are contingent on a strong faith and, frankly, I am not certain my faith has reached that level. It's not like God does what I command. 

Haar, upthread, in one word said the truth:

Q. What are we afraid of?

A. Failure.

--

Right now, there's a strong current in the church of people who "decree and declare" God's future acts. The scriptural warrant for this is tenuous, at best;  the scriptural "proof" of miracles in the early church is un-contestable, however. Perhaps, to sum, the problem with the contemporary use of miracles as an evangelistic prompt is two-fold: 1) Does God still work this way among evangelists today; 2) Can we get Him to perform these miracles, that is, will God work this way when we ask Him to in prayer?

I also want to say that most claimed miracles are not done in the context of evangelization, but in the personal lives of Christians and their families. A miracle of healing, for example, is usually done  just to be healed. A miraculous healing may, indeed, cause unbelievers to come to the Lord, but the motivation of the healer is often just to get someone healed.

--

I have no idea how to tell apart the charlatans from the true practitioners of God's healing, etc. I know in my heart -- intuitively -- that certain people make me uncomfortable while others seem godly. Often, I go on that spiritual hunch. 

It's terribly concerning that the name of Jesus could be used by those who don't believe ... effectively. If a pagan went around healing in the name of Jesus at the same time that believers were unable to heal in His name, what does this say about the church?

--

Last week I was at a charismatic prayer meeting. Many of the woman who were participating in this meeting claim to be gifted in healing, exhortation, etc. To make it clear, I do NOT have these gifts, but enjoy being with these women anyway. At this prayer meeting, we broke into small groups. As I was sitting next to a young woman, I felt a maternal-like concern for her so instinctively reached over and put my hand on her shoulder. 

Afterward, she told me her back had been hurting and when I put my hand on her shoulder, she felt a warmth and her back was healed.

Now, I never prayed for her healing. I didn't even know her back was sore. I do NOT have the gift of healing, anyway. In situations such as this, do we claim, in faith, that she was healed? She may have just been feeling the warmth of my hand but her interpretation of that warmth was God's healing power flowing through me into her. 

So, is it possible to heal someone without knowing it?