JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

Q4. (2 Chronicles 20:15-17a, 21-22; Acts 16:25-26; Philippians 4:4-9; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17) What do praise and thankfulness have to do with faith? Why do you think praise and thankfulness are such powerful weapons in our warfare?

Praising and thanking God always shows that we have faith in God even through tough times, believing that He is in control and can use even the most trying of our situations to bring about good.   it does not reflect well on Him, when we as His children live a gloomy life. It doesn’t make sense to say God is your Father, and yet live a miserable joyless life filled with fear, depression and unhappiness.  Faith in God gives us the confidence that He will bring us through the storms in life. Hence God wants us to be cheerful no matter what, and this also sends across a positive message to unbelievers about Him.

Praise and Thankfulness lifts our eyes off us and allows us to focus on God and trust in Him to fight our battles.  Our faith increases when we praise God and we get strengthened to face our circumstances.  When we are thankful and praise God we do not blame God for the circumstances we are in, rather look to Him to help us and receive the victory which He has already won for us.  Rejoicing and praising confuses the enemy.

Q4. (2 Chronicles 20:15-17a, 21-22; Acts 16:25-26; Philippians 4:4-9; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17) What do praise and thankfulness have to do with faith?

Both are directionally relational to our focus. Praising God and being thankful unto Him can be  effective, beneficial and even restorative unto our spiritual walk, emotional status; but more importantly it can be the means to help fortify the measure of faith given to us by God because as we give reverence/honor unto Him we are consistently relating/meditating to and reflecting on Him.

Praise and thankfulness unto God both are expressions of faith.

Why do you think praise and thankfulness are such powerful weapons in our warfare?

I think praise and thankfulness unto God is powerful our warfare because both are expressions of faith. Faith in the Lord via these two means bring us to the realization and/or reminds us presence of God is not distant but present as we invite His presence.

When I refer to praise, I’m not referencing and exhaustive term nor an inclusive term as it relates to singing and dancing, etc… It is of my STRONG belief the life we live demonstrates our praise unto God. I’m not opposed to singing, dancing, exalting nor exhortation, I simply believe in addition to those forms of praise as we live, move and have our being glorifying God in our daily living we are praising the Lord as well.  As we HONOR Him with our living we praise Him.    

Thankfulness – I’d like to use 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18  in part, part of verse 18 “give thanks in all circumstances”.  

Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will].

In everything give thanks; I do not intend to offend the Lord as I say the verse at hand doesn’t say give thanks for everything. Although He is Sovereign and that He ordains or allows circumstances I don’t think He wants us to be thankful unto Satan as Satan inflict/afflicts us.  However, the more so I believe He wants us to develop and grow in faith [James 1:2-4 (NRSV)

My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing, Romans 8:28].

Prayerfully, hoping that many do not have to go through trials in the likeness of Job and/or Joseph, but if we should may we continue to TRUST/BELIEVE and move from breath to breath, step after step by faith, through faith, in faith; be it mustard seed faith or the gift of faith may we continue to give thanks that He is faithful regardless of the circumstance/situation or ongoing event in/of our life/lives.

God is consistent in every season – thankfulness unto Him helps us to reverence that He is.  

Praise and thankfulness are a related to our faith in Jesus Christ. When we truly are yielded and submitted to Jesus we will be praising and thanking  Him in any situation of our lives. Obedience to the commands of God is faith and God has commanded us to be people of praise and thankfulness. Praise and thankfulness is the demonstration of our faith as well.

Praise and thankfulness are powerful weapons of in our warfare because we are trusting God and allowing Him to take control and we look ahead for victory,rather than believing the lies of the enemy and get into into fear and despair. As we use these weapons of praise and thankfulness we bring about the defeat of the enemy. The walls of Jericho fell because they obeyed God firstly and then shouted praise. NO matter what,when we obey God by praising Him and thanking Him ,we obey and trust Him it is God who will go ahead and fight all our battles and gives us the victory. That is why praise and thankfulness are powerful weapons on our warfare as God moves on our behalf, stills the storm and defeats the enemy. God works when sing and praise in faith as he did with King Jehoshapat. Praise and thankfulness is also a cure for anxiety . Thanksgiving is a language of faith and God expects us to come to Him in an attitude of remembering His faithfulness in the past situations and thus an expectation of his answer in this situation.

Praise and thankfulness as powerful weapons help us to keep our focus in Christ and not on the problems.As we remain joyful and thankful we are in good health as well and we don't strive to battle in the flesh but use our weapons and fight the good fight of faith and allow God to take over.

Ditto to these wonderful comments.  Everyone has faith.  The question is, "In what or whom do you place faith?"  And, depending upon the subject of faith, you will live in a positive love relationship with God or you will live in a negative relationship with self, others, and God.  If for any reason I could not place absolute faith in God, what would be the meaning of life?  If someone irritated me why not hurt them?  The object of faith has huge consequences.  Paul addresses this in Romans 13 under a repressive government.  When my future is secure IN Christ, what can man do to me?  At most, torture and kill me, but this life is a VAPOR...but eternity in heaven...WOW!!  But, also, walking with God in THIS live causes me to praise and give thanks for the privilege and honor of being HIS child.

Our praise and thanksgiving are based in faith in the LIGHT of the world, Jesus.  In HIM, there is NO darkness.  Jesus created light and is the LIGHT.  How can I but praise and thank Him for His gift....HIMSELF!!

Q4. (2 Chronicles 20:15-17a, 21-22; Acts 16:25-26; Philippians 4:4-9; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17)

Q. What do praise and thankfulness have to do with faith? Why do you think praise and thankfulness are such powerful weapons in our warfare?

A. They indicate the level of our dependence/ trust/ faith in the Lord and this in turn  provoke God's answers to our prayers to follow.

On 8/28/2019 at 11:01 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (2 Chronicles 20:15-17a, 21-22; Acts 16:25-26; Philippians 4:4-9; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17) What do praise and thankfulness have to do with faith? Why do you think praise and thankfulness are such powerful weapons in our warfare?

1. Both praise and thankfulness demonstrate that no matter what we are going through, we trust Him, and believe what His Word tells us: Rom 8:28, He is working all things together for good, because we are called according to His purposes, and v.29 "that we are being conformed to the image of Christ."  Praise and Thanksgiving honor our God as being Sovereign and good and holy, so we are in agreement with what the Word says about Him. His Word is true and the devil is a liar!

2. Praise and Thankfulness lift us up and get our eyes off of our selves and our circumstances (which may be hard going and the cause of discouragement) and demonstrates to the enemy of our souls that regardless of what is going on, we love and honor our Savior and God. It's almost impossible to stay "down in the dumps" (and fodder for Satan's attacks) when our focus is on the One Who created us, loves us,  and died for us to set us free from Satan's power.  

Praise and thankfulness can lift us out of our "feelings" into expressing our faith, and what we know and believe about our God. Psalm 149 says : Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword be in their hands".....so as we praise and worship Him, the sword of the spirit is active against the warfare in the realms of this world.

We are both worshippers and warriors!

Q4. (2 Chronicles 20:15-17a, 21-22; Acts 16:25-26; Philippians 4:4-9; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17) What do praise and thankfulness have to do with faith?

Without faith, it’s impossible to believe and give thankfulness and praise. Philippians 4:4-9, tells us, we should rejoice in the Lord always… the Lord is at hand…. but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.”
Why do you think praise and thankfulness are such powerful weapons in our warfare?
In our study it’s has been noted that Praise and prayer is another spiritual weapon and our dependence is in Christ Jesus..

When trouble or crisis come into our lives, sometime singing and praying as Paul and Silas in Acts 16:25-26;  offers us comfort and a closeness to the only one that can meet our  needs. When I am trouble, I sing and pray ; I have found it  help me spiritually to endure whatever situation I'm dealing with.

Q4. (2 Chronicles 20:15-17a, 21-22; Acts 16:25-26; Philippians 4:4-9; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17)

1.     What do praise and thankfulness have to do with faith?

The language of faith. You can’t praise God without being thankful. Being thankful to God requires faith in the things He has promised that we have yet to see. I’m talking about the “hereafter”. It is really sad that so many people don’t believe what God has to offer, opting for the “good times” while they last. But, that said, if you have the faith to believe in the fact that God has a wonderful life waiting for us in the realm of eternity, how can one not be thankful?

2.     Why do you think praise and thankfulness are such powerful weapons in our warfare?

Number one, I believe that God likes His children to be in contact at all times “Ephesians 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;”. I really believe God honors praise and prayer when we acknowledge Him with the credit for everything good. There is so much truth in that because even though we talk about being God’s servants on earth, could we ever come close to the display of humility He demonstrates? I mean, sure, we might plant corn but who brings the rain and who gave us corn to begin with? When we need, or want something, who do we turn to? In an emergency, who do we cry out to for help? With answers every time even though it might not be the answer we expect, if we are as patient with Him as He is with us, the sun not only shines but the blessings pour down like rain. God is so amazing. He even takes care of the sinners, many of them holding riches beyond the normal imagination. There is so much more to everything than we can imagine taking place at any given time. I know personally that since I have begun to spend as much time as possible with Him how different things have become. I will not say that hard times will not come because I know that to be part of life, but I have such a sense of contentment. Sometimes, I think of how much we have, which by standards of the average person might not be anything to brag about but I don’t expect I’ll take anything with me, and I know where I’m headed. Only the amazement of the destination remains a mystery because the human imagination could never touch what awaits. There is no such thing as over doing it when it comes to praise and prayer.

When it comes to praise and thankfulness your faith shows through by them being made manifest meaning as you do these you are showing the world that you believe that God will do what He says. When you praise God you are being thankful at the same time. Praise and thankfulness go together with faith. Complaining and ingratitude go together with doubt. Praise and thankfulness gets our minds off of us and onto God. They are powerful weapons because together they combat doubt and discouragement and many other areas that us Christians face. 

Praise causes us to take our minds off of our problems and focus on God instead. Praise helps us to remember that God is in charge and sovereign. God is the one fighting for us and all we have to do is start singing and praising Him and He will make it happen. Praise tells God and everyone else that we believe what He said; that His word is true. Praise reminds us who God is and helps us to focus on his traits. Thanksgiving helps us to remember all the things He has done for us in the past. It helps us to remember that God is faithful and He will do as He promised. 

Praise and thankfulness are powerful weapons because they help  bring us closer to God. We are to remember His goodness to us and be thankful even when trials come. Because we know they are for our benefit. Praise helps us to remember that it is all about Him and not us. He created us for His glory and pleasure and it does not please Him when we are unthankful and complain like the Israelites did. Praise and thankfulness draws us closer to God and lifts us up.

What do praise and thankfulness have to do with faith? 

When we truly realise the marvellous truths of the His Word and what our Lord Jesus Christ means to us, then our hearts will overflow in praise and thanksgiving. Our faith isn’t complete without praise and thanksgiving – it’s through praise and thanksgiving that we acknowledge our faith in Him. I have experienced that when I place my trust in the Lord, when I praise Him, and when I thank Him; I feel Him closer to me. I become more alive to His loving goodness. Psalm 100:4 reads: “Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise; give thanks to Him and praise His name”. I love this verse - we are to come before Him with a grateful heart. Thank Him for the blessings of grace, peace, pardon, righteousness, and salvation. Praise Him for His goodness, love, mercy, truth, and faithfulness. We thank Him for what He has done for us and we praise Him for who He is. As a believer we have all we need to battle against Satan and his army of demonic forces. With our praise and thanksgiving our Lord is closer to us. At the same time we have God’s Spirit in us, and He is always available to help us with our temptations and struggles – He will fight for us and He always wins! All we need to do is ask for His help; realise the battle is not ours, and recognise our limitations; allowing God’s strength to win for us. 

On 8/28/2019 at 2:01 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. Praise is faith shouting. Praise is the language of faith.  Praise is acknowledging that God is and has been there for you working on your behalf. You are believing God and thanking Him for who He is and what He has done and what He will do.

b. Praise and thankfulness are powerful weapons in our warfare because they pave the way for God's working and deliverance on your behalf. In blessing the Lord, you are blessed. Praise tramples the enemy and makes him powerless!

What do praise and thankfulness have to do with faith? Because it is the language of faith. Because it is better to pray and ask and request and make petition praising and thanking God as it shows our character .We are strong in the Lord and hopeful in Him and not hopeless. It also shows God that we know He will never let us down from our past experiences of His faithfulness and kindness .

Why do you think praise and thankfulness are such powerful weapons in our warfare? They are such powerful weapons because it takes us away from the present difficult and painful circumstances. It fixes our eyes on how great our God is instead of how great the problem is. It gives new strength, new hope amidst any problem.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:01 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Praise and worship have much to do with our faith, praise is the language of our faith in the Lord. In praise and worship our hearts are giving thanksgiving for all the Lord has done for us and the blessing to come forth in the future.

Praise and worship keeps our mind off the impending struggles we are facing daily, it keeps us in touch with the Lord and he fights our battles for us Praise the Lord all day long.

What do praise and thankfulness have to do with faith?

It shows that when we praise and give thanksgiving, in the midst of our struggles when we ask God for help, he will fight our battles.  We trust and believe that the battle is not ours but its the Lord.

Praise and thankfulness are powerful weapons in our warfare because when we  (1) rejoice, (2) pray with thanksgiving, (3) let God's peace guard your mind and heart, and finally, (4) turn your thoughts to good things it helps to keep our mind on the Lord.  We are reminded that the Lord will fight our battle.

• 1 month later...

If we do not give thanks in all circumstances, we might despair when trials and tribulations beset us, and lose our faith.   it is difficult, sometimes, since we are human, to believe that God has all these negative circumstances in which we find ourselves under control, and this is where the discipline of praise and thanksgiving can be useful, in fact, essential.  Turning our eyes on God in faith means turning them away from our circumstances, and, just as Paul and Barnabas rose above their pain and suffering to sing hymns and give thanks, so can we also, in the strength of God, have faith that, at all times we are in the hands of God.   This is a very powerful weapon against the devil, who uses despair as a door into our minds and hearts.

• 2 years later...

(2 Chronicles 20:15-17a, 21-22; Acts 16:25-26; Philippians 4:4-9; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17) What do praise and thankfulness have to do with faith?

Why do you think praise and thankfulness are such powerful weapons in our warfare?

When you worship and praise God, your focus changes. You no longer center your focus on your surroundings but your eyes behold your Saviour (the One you are worshiping) 

It is a powerful weapon because no longer are you fearful (or whatever it was that was trying to tie you in its grip). You have changed your focus away from that fear and are putting your trust in God. 

The negativity flees when your focus is on Christ because automatically you remember with a grateful and thankful heart, what He has done for you. 

• 1 year later...

I do think that praise and thanksgiving are important, but it's also important that they be genuine and not forced. One of the stories about Paul I most admire is his singing while in prison. Though his circumstances were dire, he was able to sing and praise God.

Yet ... there's an element of "the power of positive thinking" in all this, a sense that I'm tricking my mind or pretending that my circumstances are not as dire as they are. I want to mean it when I praise, to have it well up from within and not be forced. I don't want to manipulate my mind but be able to escape the circumstance enough to truly praise Him, even if that escape is purely mental.

So, my first question to God is this: When circumstances are horrible, is TRUE praise possible? Paul says it is. Perhaps this is why we both pray AND thanks. My prayer is rational -- it takes into consideration circumstances and begs for relief, vindication, justice, escape ... whatever. My praise is irrational in the sense that it denies circumstances and looks solely at and toward God. God may be asking me to be both.

A second question for Him is this: It is commonly said in Christian circles that we praise God for future deliverance, not current circumstances; it shows faith to believe that God really will deliver in His time. I must say, however, that as the years pass and deliverance does not come, it's difficult to keep praising God for something He may never do. It is simply the case that God doesn't always deliver. Paul, in the end, was beheaded, after all. Thus, I'm having difficulty conceiving of praise as a future-oriented faith-stance toward God. 

Thirdly and lastly, perhaps I'm to praise/thank God not in spite of my own life circumstances, but solely because of who He is. I get this but it's difficult. I know God through the prism of self. In the midst of deep suffering and unrelenting circumstances, believing in God's love is almost impossible. The truth is I don't feel protected. I don't feel justly treated. I know, objectively, that God is love but don't feel or rationally understand His love right now. So my praise is stilted and feels fake. I can say "God is love" and praise Him for His love, but when I don't see evidence of His love, what am I to do? When I say God is a God who holds me under his wing, protecting and guarding me while in my own life, right now, I'm fighting to survive, what exactly does praise mean? Can I say He is my shepherd while I'm being eaten alive by wolves? Can I praise Him for His protection when, objectively, I'm not being protected?

These are huge issues in my faith life, now. Perhaps I shouldn't give voice to them but perhaps, too, someone needs to know that they're not alone when doubting God's goodness and forcing praise.