JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Prophecy

Q2. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-23; 21:11) Are the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem in conflict with Paul’s leading from God? What, then, conflicts with Paul’s leading to go to Jerusalem? Why do you think Paul actively encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes (1 Corinthians 14:1, 5)? Why do you think many Christians despise prophecy today (1 Thessalonians 5:20)?

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2019 at 11:05 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-23; 21:11) Are the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem in conflict with Paul’s leading from God? What, then, conflicts with Paul’s leading to go to Jerusalem? Why do you think Paul actively encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes (1 Corinthians 14:1, 5)? Why do you think many Christians despise prophecy today (1 Thessalonians 5:20)?

1. No they're not. In fact they are confirmation to Paul of the Lord telling him and compelling him that he was to face imprisonment and suffering there at the hands of the Gentiles.

2. The conflict is in the Christians love for Paul, and their pleading with tears for him to not go to Jerusalem to suffer.

3. Paul's encouragement was that the churches would interpret the divine will and purpose in inspired preaching and teaching and that rather than just speaking in tongues in their services, they would in the Holy Spirit's inspiration, preach and teach the Word of God, for the building up and encouragement of the Church.

4. I  think they either fear and or doubt the validity and necessity of prophecy, due to false teaching that Holy Spirit's gifts were only for the early Church. Unbelief in the gifts inhibits the spiritual growth of those who deny them and deprives the Church of encouragement, enrichment and affirmation of God's work among us.

Q2. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-23; 21:11) Are the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem in conflict with Paul's leading from God?
No, the prophecies don't contradict the mission Paul is on. They deal only with the events that result from Paul's mission. Since the results weren't going to be pleasant people concluded the prophecy meant that Paul wasn't supposed to go ahead with his plan.

What, then, conflicts with Paul's leading to go to Jerusalem?
The error lies with the interpretation of the message. God's messages to us are usually clear. They only become complicated when we decide that if we don't understand them then we must have misunderstood them. I know that I used to be guilty of this very frequently. God would give me a message and instead upon reflecting upon it to truly understand what he wanted me to do I would 'interpret' it in a way that made sense to me. And I was almost always wrong. It took me many years of introspection and learning to control that impulse and develop that obedience (and I still make the mistake from time to time). I've learned to rely upon the Holy Spirit to curb my impatient, half-baked interpretations.

Why do you think Paul actively encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes (1 Corinthians 14:1, 5)? 
Not everybody is willing to put in the time and effort to hear God's voice. Not everybody knows how to listen for God's voice. Prophets are people who are specially gifted when it comes to hearing God's voice. God always has instructions to give us (or perhaps I should say we always need instruction from God) and he uses prophets to communicate with us. Paul knew he wouldn't be around forever but as long as there were prophets to relay God's words to the people he knew the Christians would be able to 'stay on track'.

Why do you think many Christians despise prophecy today (1 Thessalonians 5:20)?
Many Christians don't trust prophecy because the gift has been abused or faked for the gain of false prophets in highly publicised cases. And they often don't perceive the genuine usages of the gift, even when they benefit from it, because they don't realise that it was the power of God at work.

No they are not in conflict. They only deal with the fact that eventually he will have to deal with authority figures and answer to them and give an answer for the hope that is in him. What conflicts with Paul's leading to go to Jerusalem would probably be the love of the people at the church he is leading and their decision to plead with him not to go at all. It actively encourages it because it edifies the church and not just one person. It also glorifies God. i believe it is because there is false prophets out there who use it for their own gain. 

Q2. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-23; 21:11) Are the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem in conflict with Paul's leading from God? What, then, conflicts with Paul's leading to go to Jerusalem? Why do you think Paul actively encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes (1 Corinthians 14:1, 5)? Why do you think many Christians despise prophecy today (1 Thessalonians 5:20)?

No the prophecies are not in conflict with Paul's leading from God, they are just an indication of what will surely happen when he goes.

The conflict is because of the love of well-meaning friends Paul had and their interpretation of it.

Paul encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes because with this gift of the Holy Spirit we will be able to declare the divine will and purposes of God.   We should seek after the gift of prophecy to edify our churches.

Many Christians despise the gift of prophecy because it is wrongly used, sometimes used by people of influence a future telling or because people may fear to know the will of God for their lives, mostly when it seems difficult to follow.

Q2. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-23; 21:11) Are the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem in conflict with Paul's leading from God?

No, I believe the prophecies are affirmation – Acts 9:15,16 But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.”

The conflict lies within the Believers as they lean upon their own understanding. Agabus’ prophetic demonstration and verbiage was from God, it prophesied/revealed what would happen; however he did not tell Paul not to go. He told what would happen.

Paul wasn’t defying the Holy Spirit's warning given by Agabus nor was he being disobedient to Christ’ leading. Paul received the prophesy and was prepared to continue the charged given him by Christ even if it meant he would die in the process.  

The prophecy was given to prepare Paul and to inform those within the hearing of the prophesy, that when the “Jews at Jerusalem bind Paul and deliver him into the hands of the gentiles they will know that his suffering was in line with God's will (permissive/divine).

Why do you think Paul actively encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes (1 Corinthians 14:1, 5)?

In relation to 1 Corinthians Paul’s strongly encouraged prophecy:

so that the church may be edified

for the benefit of the Church

so that the church may be edified [instructed, improved, strengthened]

so that the church may be edified and receive good [from it]

that the church may receive edifying

so that the church may be built up

o that the congregation can be edified

that the assembly may receive edification

so that the whole church can be helped [edified; built up]…...

I believe Paul in 1 Thessalonians 5:20 isn’t speaking of foretelling but more so forthtelling in reference to “not treating prophecies with contempt” here. In context verses 12-28 is Paul’ Final Instructions/guidance’s regarding behavior/godly behavior being these are Believers/Christians.  

I believe Paul is saying do not presume you do not need farther godly instruction/guidance. If you despise the prophecy (forthtelling) you prevent maturing within the Christlike walk.

In regards to prophecy today - this answer is subjective and speculative at best:

Some treat prophecies with contempt due to carnal thinking

Some treat prophecies with contempt due to carnal abuse/misuse of perceived prophetic utterances (false prophecy)

Some treat prophecies with contempt due to carnal thinking

On the other side of the coin in the Western Hemisphere there are many Believers that flock to hear what he/she believes to prophetic utterance and/or a word of prophecy from God.  Some people travel afar to hear Crusaders and/or press to attend audiences when a said Prophet/Prophetess come to their town.

Q2. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-23; 21:11)

Q. Are the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem in conflict with Paul's leading from God? What, then, conflicts with Paul's leading to go to Jerusalem?

A,  I don't think the prophesy about imprisonment in Jerusalem were in conflict with Paul's leading from God. The fact was that imprisonment was one suffering he was destined to experience along the way of fulfilling God's plan.

Q. Why do you think Paul actively encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes (1 Corinthians 14:1, 5)?

A. Because through prophesy people get to know God's plan and will.

Q. Why do you think many Christians despise prophecy today (1 Thessalonians 5:20)?

A. Because of their erroneous belief that prophesies have ceased. 

No, by no means.. Paul’s determination to go in spite is a testimony of him willing to suffer for the cause of Christ. Paul had already said the Holy Spirit bore witness to him that bonds and affliction would come upon him in every city.  Therefore, he knew there would be persecution waiting for him in Jerusalem.

The conflict would be in Acts 21:11, as the believer felt that Paul should not go to Jerusalem, they were in fear of Paul’s life.

He felt that prophecy was one of the spiritual gifts and its needed for edifying the body of Christ

Why do you think many Christians despise prophecy today (1 Thessalonians 5:20)?.

Most feel it's no longer need and false teaching. 

Wonderful comments, insights...thoughtful.  I'll just address the last question.  Prophesy deals with future telling and with forth telling.  When someone prophesies about the future it must line up with the character of God and the Word of God.  There are some that have this gift and we should not minimize it, nor should we accept every prophesy about the future.  The spiritual character of the person must line up with Scripture.

Obviously, forth telling is a no brainer as we are all called to proclaim Jesus.  Some, with the gifts of preaching and teaching, must also be in line with the teaching of Scripture and proclaim in context, coupled again with the character of God and His mission.

Skepticism, has been noted because of the misuse of prophesy and the self-promotion of many.  Getting "rich" on the back of prophesy does not fit the Scriptural pattern.  God does not call us to be poor, at least not most of us, but He also does not want us to use this gift or any of His gifts simply to become rich. Gifts are for the purpose of glorifying God and leading people to Christ.

(Acts 19:21;20:22-23; 21:11) No the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem are not in conflict with Paul's leading form God. He had to go to Jerusalem and face imprisonment and death according to the will of God.

It was the opinion and the fear of Pauls life of the other believers that persuaded him not to go to Jerusalem and face persecution. The believers loved Paul and did not want to lose him too and tried to convince him not to go to Jerusalem.

Paul actively encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes because it edifies the churches. ( 1 Corinthians 14: 1,5)

Many Christians despise prophecy because they are not tuned to hear the voice of Jesus and his will which comes through prophecy but have rather sort to their own wisdom and understanding without hearing from God.

The prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem is not in conflict with Paul’s leading from God. The prophecies came true and Paul’s mission was also accomplished. There was no conflict with Paul’s leading to go to Jerusalem. It is just that he was going to be arrested. Paul knows that if it is the Holy Spirit leading them then they should prophecy. I think that the reason that so many Christians despise prophecies today is that we have been hood winked to many times by false prophets. We have a tough time discerning true prophets.

1.     Are the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem in conflict with Paul's leading from God?

Prophecies coming from God would never be contrary to God’s leading in a person. At the beginning of this study one of the things we learned was when God mentioned that He would show Paul how much he must suffer for Christ’s name (Acts 9:16). The prophecies which came forth about being jailed in Jerusalem simply stated that he would be handed over to the Gentiles after arriving there.

2.     What, then, conflicts with Paul's leading to go to Jerusalem?

If there were any conflicts at all, it would have been disbelief that Paul was moving in the Spirit of God when he went. Perhaps unbelief might even be the wrong choice of words. It could have been concern for Paul’s well being in mistaking the fact that Paul was actually caring out God’s will

3.     Why do you think Paul actively encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes (1 Corinthians 14:1, 5)?

I think the reason for encouraging prophecy was because of the readily availability of access to God’s will to the church. Prophecy could serve as a warning to the church or a member or certain members of it if it were taking a wayward step which needed to be corrected.

4.     Why do you think many Christians despise prophecy today (1 Thessalonians 5:20)?

I think the main reason for despising prophecy today is the fact that it uncovers the truth, something which so many people today go to great lengths to avoid, often using careful edits and twists to prevent themselves from being exposed.

Are the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem in conflict with Paul's leading from God? 

No, Paul has his instructions from our Lord Jesus Himself to preach the gospel. His single most important goal was to tell others about Christ regardless of what might happen to him. Also, he had this inner compulsion to travel to Rome and beyond. The only conflict would be the physical harm that might be done to him; perhaps resulting in him not being able to continue his mission. Paul actively encouraged spiritual gifts for individuals in the churches, as he felt it would help in building up the local fellowship resulting in encouragement and edification among the congregation. Of all the gifts, he showed a preference for prophecy and teaching, which he felt would be of greater benefit for the church as a whole. Today, I feel, many Christians are uncomfortable when hearing prophetic messages. I think mainly because of being exposed to many so called prophetic messages; heard especially on TV.  

On 8/28/2019 at 2:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. No, they just tell what will happen to him when he goes to Jerusalem. 

b. The believers feared for his life and did not want him to go, but Paul was determined to do the will of God, stating that -  "I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus."

c.  Paul says, earnestly pursue love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.  We should seek after this gift of prophecy to edify our churches. 

d. I don't know about other churches, but people do prophesy in our church. It is usually a word of encouragement to uplift the body of Christ.  When a person has a word during a service, they usually talk to the Pastor or the Pastor in charge of the service to get the go ahead.  They are usually people that are strong in the Word and encouraged by the Holy Spirit to get up and give a Word to the people. 

Maybe the people that despise prophecy have got a word from a false prophet, not led by the Spirit of the Lord and it was a condemning Word to them.  

Are the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem in conflict with Paul’s leading from God? What, then, conflicts with Paul’s leading to go to Jerusalem?

No.  Paul sought God and followed what he clearly showed him, not what others said. There are no conflicts because Paul was following God's direction.

Why do you think Paul actively encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes?

We should seek after the gift of prophecy to edify our churches.

Why do you think many Christians despise prophecy today?

I think it has to do with lack of understanding and fear.

Q2. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-23; 21:11) Are the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem in conflict with Paul's leading from God? No, they were not .

What, then, conflicts with Paul's leading to go to Jerusalem? What Agabus prophecy is an indication of what will happen but it doesn’t matter to Paul as I believe he already knows what will happen to him. The conflict is the pain in the hearts of those who love him and care for his safety.

Why do you think Paul actively encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes (1 Corinthians 14:1, 5)? Paul actively encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes because prophecy edifies the church. He says that proclaiming God’s truth to the church in a language where all understand brings growth and strength to the church

Why do you think many Christians despise prophecy today (1 Thessalonians 5:20)? Some Christians tend to take in everything they hear without checking it out first. When things do work out the way they think it should they tend to despise prophecy.

Q2. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-23; 21:11) Are the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem in conflict with Paul's leading from God? What, then, conflicts with Paul's leading to go to Jerusalem? Why do you think Paul actively encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes (1 Corinthians 14:1, 5)? Why do you think many Christians despise prophecy today (1 Thessalonians 5:20)?

No the prophecies are not in conflict at all; Agabus and others are just telling what will occur when Paul goes there.The conflict comes when the others try to dissuade him from going because of what will happen when he gets there.

Paul actively encourages prophecy because it helps to edify and build others up in the church and encourage them.

I think many Christians despise it and no longer do it because they believe it is no longer needed. That they have seen others acting in strange ways in meeting and are against it. Some of them probably think that the way they do things now in the church is fine. They have become rigid in their services and no longer follow the example in the New Testament. 

On 8/28/2019 at 1:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Prophecies about the imprisonment  of Paul if he goes to Jerusalem are not in conflict with the Lords leading. Those present thought Paul should not go there. But Paul was going to follow the Lord at all cost.

Paul actively encourages prophecy in the church because it edifies the members in the word of God.

Today many Christians despise prophecy because they believe that it was only for the early church. They feel today the Holy Spirit does not use these prophecies to further the church.       

• 2 weeks later...

Are the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem in conflict with Paul’s leading from God?

No. Paul is trusting God and obeying his direction.

What, then, conflicts with Paul’s leading to go to Jerusalem?

There are no conflicts because Paul obeyed God.

Why do you think Paul actively encourages prophecy in the churches he establishes (1 Corinthians 14:1, 5)? Why do you think many Christians despise prophecy today (1 Thessalonians 5:20)?

Prophecy is encouraged to edify our churches. People despise prophecy because of lack of understanding.

• 4 weeks later...

The prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem do not conflict with Paul's leading from God, but rather make it clear to him what the outcome of this journey will be.  Paul is still to follow the Lord's prompting and go to Jerusalem, but to do so in the open-eyed awareness of the dangers that will confront him there.  The conflict comes from his well-meaning friends and disciples, who seek to turn him from God's purpose so that he can be kept from danger.

Paul encourages prophesy by way of edifying or building up the young church.  He compares it with speaking in tongues, which, although also a spiritual gift, benefits only the one who speaks, unless there is someone who can interpret the tongues.  Prophesy, on the other hand, is understandable by all who are present.

I think that it is safer to say that some Christians treat prophesy with caution, rather than despise it, because of what Paul goes on to say in  1 Thess.  5:21,  "but test everything."  We must be sure that the prophesy is indeed inspired by the Holy Spirit.

• 2 years later...

Acts 19:21; 20:22-23; 21:11) Are the prophecies about imprisonment in Jerusalem in conflict with Paul's leading from God?

Paul felt the Lord leading him on to Jerusalem and not only that also that the Lord was showing him that imprisonment awaited him. 

The people Paul had been ministering to who had a close bond with him obviously did not want to lose him. Others who he had been leading and encouraging obviously did not want bad things to happen to him. And many tried to dissuade him from going straight to where he would be imprisoned. They took it all to be a warning to stay away whereas Paul saw it as confirmation of what God had shown him what would happen. 

He was thus going fully prepared. Thy will Lord. 

He encourages prophecy as the Lord would not have given it as a gift if it was unimportant. It can be a guide and confirmation to someone. 

I would sooner say they are careful of it as so many prophecies are spoken for "soothing" and not saying the real words lain on the hearts.