JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:3; 3:10-12; 4:7) Why are we quieted so quickly by mild societal disapproval of our witness? What would enduring hardship “like a good soldier of Christ” look like in your life? What would it look like to “fight the good fight” for you?

utI believe the reason is because we are afraid however as believers we need to remember that perfect love casts out fear. Meaning God's love casts it out. We need to also be like Peter and obey God rather than man in some situations. In the situation of our witness we need to remember that God will choose when we need to witness and when we don't. We need to obey His leading not fear the society and how they will look at us when we witness. For me it would mean enduring persecution and threats of all sorts. The good fight would mean spending more time with Jesus and doing His will more than mine. 

From personal experience:  I received Christ when I was 11.  I went from being a shy little baseball player in St. Louis and then in Ft. Myers, FL where I received Christ to a boy who went door to door telling people about Jesus and inviting them to church.  God turned the switch on and it has never dimmed.  I have learned a lot more of course.  At age 12 I knew God has called me into vocational ministry and at age 18 started preaching in Stephens Country Jail while attending Bible College.

Why people are shy about sharing Jesus floors me.  I'm convinced they really don't know Who He is and what He has done for them...what He has saved them from, to, and for.  There is so much false teaching out there, AND the enemy is a master at deception having people believe they are shy or don't know what to say, or 1000 other lies.

The good fight is the greatest fight because Jesus has already won.  I've been to the former USSR and helped lead a Bible study on one of the largest former military bases with hardline red communists and lived to share this.  I've been to Mexico 5 times, Guatemala 2 times and my wife and I were in Germany 3 years as missionaries.  The worst thing anyone can do is kill you or your family.  All my family are strong believers, we fear no man.  We take precautions but when it comes to witnessing, there is no need to fear.  I know many do, but I pray for believers to see Who Jesus really IS, as the mighty God and only Savior of mankind, and the One who conquered the power of sin, death, satan, and hell.  As has been stated, His perfect love casts out all fear of man.  This is why Paul and thousands of others since, could and can share the gospel with no fear but with great confidence in Christ, our Coming King.

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:3; 3:10-12; 4:7)

1.     Why are we quieted so quickly by mild societal disapproval of our witness?

That is a great question which will be answered by the “quieted” should they remain that way. Just like actions, inactions shall come to account. This bothers me because there are so many opportunities that have escaped me. Disapproval, at least in the U.S. is, for the most part nothing to really be concerned about because violence against preaching the word is rare. I know in other (not all) countries it has its consequences but not so much here. The worst fire I ever came under was with someone who acted offended when he told me he was a believer of something other than Christian belief but even at that we didn’t end up with WWIII.

2.     What would enduring hardship "like a good soldier of Christ" look like in your life?

As one who spends most of my time in the U.S. and also spends time in the Philippines, which is a country deep into Catholicism, the hardest I would more than likely have to deal with would be rejection.  

3.     What would it look like to "fight the good fight" for you?

Fighting the good fight for me would mean hitting the streets every day like I should be doing.

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:3; 3:10-12; 4:7) Why are we quieted so quickly by mild societal disapproval of our witness?

It has been said that mankind’s greatest fear is rejection – being rejected and his/her greatest need is acceptance.

If that is true fear has/plays a STRONG role!

There maybe 1000’s of reasons/excuses stemming from fear:

Perceived perception

Perceived adverse reaction/response  

Mockery/ridicule = judging

Insecurity/inferior (Moses – Exodus 4:1-14)  

Complacency, lack of compassion/passion - apathy

Etc… … …

What would enduring hardship "like a good soldier of Christ" look like in your life?

I would say that question would be best answered by those within the circle of influence and the circles of influences I’m blessed to live move and have my being.

When I am obedient, when I adhere to His Voice, prompting, nudge I am empowered to carry-out His will.

Daily as I live move and have my being within His grace my desire is not to s lay behind

evade work He has assigned to escape the walk/work and or to performed that which He has blessed my hand (me) to do.

As the Spiritual war rages on I strive to be sober, circumspective and surrendered unto His will.

My being a Yield Servant in unselfish servanthood unto Christ is the look that I desire the Lord and others to see.    

What would it look like to "fight the good fight" for you?

To walk under the anointing of the Lord as the Lord desires I walk.

On 8/28/2019 at 11:10 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:3; 3:10-12; 4:7) Why are we quieted so quickly by mild societal disapproval of our witness? What would enduring hardship “like a good soldier of Christ” look like in your life? What would it look like to “fight the good fight” for you?

1. Our human nature is such that we want to be liked...to have others approval (unless we're renegades!). We shrink from any form of disapproval, especially if that is a childhood wound from dysfunctional upbringing. We want to "fit in" and shun rejection. However, one of my gifts is evangelism and because of that gift it's very easy and comfortable to share my faith, but I understand that it can be more difficult for others with different gifting.

Paul said: …..If I were still seeking popularity with men, I should not be a bond servant of Christ the Messiah. Gal 1:10

2. Well, you can't reach my age without enduring some form of hardship, and we have endured what some might say is more than our share and it continues even today. Having said that, I've endured some...and I mean "just endured" but not as a good soldier of Christ, but in the flesh, with self pity and shame, in the early days of my walk with Jesus.  (I have to chuckle remembering that I said "I feel like you're grinding me to powder in your mortar and pestle! What's going to be left of me?" I heard "ME"....oh.) Growing in grace through the years has brought improvement in the suffering, as I've learned from Paul that hardship trains us in the battle to be a soldier of Christ! Also that pain is a gift from God, to teach, train, and grow us up, so that we can encourage and comfort others with the comfort we have received from Christ. Enduring is much like persevering (Gal 5:22), a fruit of the Spirit, so is a valuable aspect of our new nature and character in Christ. I'm almost able to quickly say, Thank you, Papa, for this new trial, for I believe in your love for me, you mean it for my good and for your Glory, and to conform me to the image of Christ. (Rom 8:28,29)

3. It means having learned through hardship, to continue to face the fight, not run from it. Ephesians 6 tells us we have lots of armor for the fight, but none for our back if we choose to run away. It means for me "to stand" in faith that this too will pass, (hopefully without a lot of whining)  to remember to put on the armor of God, to choose to believe that God loves me and is always on my side and by my side, and inside....so it is He who fights through me, and He is a Warrior Who always wins. Those are the days to spend more time in the Bible, more time in prayer, more quiet time in His company listening and surrendering to Him and Ephesians 6:13 tells us when we've done all we can, STAND. 

So...that said, I'm standing on His promises which are true but as yet unfulfilled....I'm standing although sometimes I'm leaning hard on Him in order to continue on.

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:3; 3:10-12; 4:7) Why are we quieted so quickly by mild societal disapproval of our witness?

I would think those that don’t know the Lord, or weak in the faith lack courage or Fear of acceptance, rejection or just wanting to fit in. I started teaching God’s word when I was a teen. I wasn't  strong in the faith as a teen, but I don’t ever recall being quieted. When Christ came into my life, I wanted everyone to experience Him for themselves.

What would enduring hardship "like a good soldier of Christ" look like in your life?

My husband was pastor for 40 years at one congregation. There were great challenges, and struggle being a young mother of three. But God gave us the strength to endure. I am now in another congregation, doing outreach ministry and missionary work. I went to Monrovia Liberia,Africa  during their civil unrest. I had faith that God would protect me.  

It means to work the work of Him that sent you while it’s day, night time come when no man can work. I go when I don’t want to go. I do when I don’t want to, for the cause of Christ.

I think that we are quieted so quickly is because we want to accepted by our peers. Enduring hardship “like a good soldier of Christ” would make us unaccepted by our peers. In order to “fight the good fight” I would stand out and be watched all the time for anything that they think that I did wrong.

( 2 Timothy 2:3; 3:10-12;4:7)  We are quieted quickly by mild societal disapproval of our witness because we fear rejection, persecution and approval from man. Often, we want  to remain in the good books of men by not offending them speaking the truth. We fear losing relationships and many things attached to it and we remain quiet when we see the societal disapproval.

A soldier is one who has committed his life to fight for his country and willing to fight any battles and even lose his life for his country. Like as a good soldier of  Christ ,we remain committed to Jesus and obey Him and share the Gospel even when we may have to face trials ,persecutions and hardships. We do not back out when we face the enemy and flee but we stand firm and endure hardship like a good soldier of Christ.

Fighting the good fight means we realize what we are fighting and for whom we are fighting. We fight for something if we want something. Likewise as Christians committed to Jesus we must know we have a fight against the enemy. When we stand for Christ in faith and serve Him and want to see may souls lost we must continue to fight the good fight our faith knowing our fight is against powers of darkness and our aim to testify to the Gospel of grace to many who will be saved. We fight against all odds and win because Jesus will give us the victory.

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:3; 3:10-12; 4:7) Why are we quieted so quickly by mild societal disapproval of our witness? For fear of persecution and suffering. And also the fear of offending others. Could also be because we are not 100 percent ready to witness Christ although we say we love the Lord so much.

What would enduring hardship "like a good soldier of Christ" look like in your life? Like a good soldier would mean for me is to fight, stand up and fight but not on my own strength. The past 10 years have been a real hardship in my family, my husband and my two children. Our endurance level has been tested to the maximum, every day I believe and know it is the hand of God that pours out grace and mercy. From car parks to MRI’s and CT scans and persecution from the people around us for being born again in the Lord, Christ, our highest General has been with us the soldiers, sometimes badly wounded, sometimes victorious sometimes just too tired to fight back and  letting the Lord do battle for us. This has slowly but steady brought out the soldiers we have come to be knowing that these battles and overcoming them and still overcoming them has produced perseverance,character,,and hope.The hope in our General Jesus Christ that has never disappointed us.

What would it look like to "fight the good fight" for you? To fight it with hope and trust in the Lord, to be able to cry but at the same time rejoice that we going to win this fight no matter what because God is on our side. To fight till the end never giving up but surrendering unto the Lord. That to me is a fight worth fighting.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:10 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. Fear of man, afraid of offending family (although they know God, they are afraid of missing out on life), He is the Life.   Rejection, persecution. 

b. Suffering rejection and persecution but knowing whose I am and that His Spirit lives in me and that I am strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.

c. Fighting the good fight is keeping on with the Lord  and being totally committed to Him to do His work.  Christ came to destroy the works of the devil and as His disciple I am called to do that too, in the power of the Spirit, by preaching the Word.    Putting on the Whole Armor of God and having done all to stand.  Know who I am in Christ and who He is in me.  Spending time with the Lord and hearing a Word from Him.

Why are we quieted so quickly by mild societal disapproval of our witness? 

There is a lesson here for me. I’m much too sensitive to rejection, and take it personally if people are rude when I mention our Lord Jesus. I need to learn and understand that when we share the gospel with unbelievers we are to persevere in the face of rejection. We are being rejected not because of something we did. We are tempted to put the blame on ourselves – did we say something wrong, did we not mention something we should have, did we use a wrong word, did we quote the wrong Scripture, and so on?. We worry about ourselves and our presentation, but it’s not about us and our presentation, it’s about the unbelievers and their heart. As long as our message is clear and we are telling them the true gospel then it’s their understanding which is darkened because of their hardness of heart (Eph 4:18). They need a new heart and only the gospel and Holy Spirit can do this. The bottom line is – I’m to persevere in the case of rejection. As a good soldier of Jesus Christ, I should be able to endure suffering and hardship. We only have to look at Paul as an example of what it is to suffer as a servant in his loyalty, worship, devotion and hard work for Christ. To have fought the good fight would mean to have given my best. I will be the first to admit that I have not always given my best. But I think this is more about finishing rather than about winning. Being in my 80’s I do feel I have persevered and kept the faith, and have continued to believe and obey my Heavenly Father. Tried to have been a good steward. But I know I have put my faith in my Lord Jesus Christ, and acknowledge Him in nearly everything I do. I trust Him fully, and know that it’s not about me; it’s all about Jesus Christ and His glory. 

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:3; 3:10-12; 4:7) Why are we quieted so quickly by mild societal disapproval of our witness? What would enduring hardship "like a good soldier of Christ" look like in your life? What would it look like to "fight the good fight" for you?

I think that we long to fit in and be like those around us. We do not like it when people make fun of us or ridicule us for what we believe. We like others to think well of us. If we do  not have a strong faith and relationship with God. We fear man more than we fear God. We are comfortable where we are and do not want to be disturbed. Unlike the Apostle Paul we have lost our love and zeal for the Lord. In its place is the love of a comfortable life and pleasure in all forms. 

It would probable mean having others tell me I am foolish or crazy. It would mean sending more time studying and praying and witnessing. More time doing what the Lord wants ande not what I want. More time really getting to know Him so that I have no fear of man anymore. More time centered on heavenly treasures and less on the things of the world. 

It would mean doing all that He asks of me. It would mean giving of myself to others whether monetarily or through good deeds. It would mean that I always put Jesus first and then others. Speaking up when I should and being quiet other times. It would mean that at the end of my life people could say I had been faithful to Him.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:10 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We may become quieted quickly when society around us shows disapproval to our witness because of several reasons; one we may become ashamed to share our witness, two we may start an uprising. We should never become afraid to share our witness or the gospel. It may be the only time some individuals will the the truth and be saved. We never know who the Holy Spirit is convicting to repent and come to the Savior.

Enduring the hardship "of like a good soldier of Christ" coming under persecution of man and Satan is our duty for Christ. We count ourselves as nothing for bring lost souls to Christ. It is our duty as ambassadors for him that we were brought to the saving grace of God.

To fight the good fight I am willing to take the gospel anywhere the Lord has led me, whether one on one or a group we stand for the Lord, he will never abandon us.    

Q. Why are we quieted so quickly by mild societal disapproval of our witness?

A. Fear.

Q. What would enduring hardship "like a good soldier of Christ" look like in your life?

A. To face whatever comes no matter the challenges without giving up but to continue to preach the gospel without fear.

Q.  What would it look like to "fight the good fight" for you?

A. Proclaim the word in season and out of season despite persecution

Why are we quieted so quickly by mild societal disapproval of our witness?

Fear

What would enduring hardship “like a good soldier of Christ” look like in your life? What would it look like to “fight the good fight” for you?

I must not be afraid to follow Christ in whatever may come my way.  I must be joyful even though I feel like crying.  I must fight on to reach the finish line knowing I would receive my reward at the end.

Timothy preached and taught, that he faced suffering, but was able to endure. Paul used a comparison with soldiers, athletes, and farmers who must discipline themselves and be willing to sacrifice to achieve the results they want. Like soldiers, we have to give up worldly security and endure rigorous discipline. Like athletes, we must train hard and follow the rules. Like farmers, we must work extremely hard and be patient. We need to keep going despite suffering because of the thought of victory, the vision of winning, and the hope of harvest. We will see our suffering is worthwhile when we achieve our goal of glorifying God, winning people to Christ.

Paul summarized his lifetime of suffering for the sake of the Good News. He mentioned his suffering here to contrast his experience with that of the pleasure-seeking false teachers. Paul told Timothy that people who obey God and live for Christ will be persecuted. We must not surprised when people misunderstand, criticize, and even try to hurt us because of what we believe and how we live. We must not give up. Continue to live as we know we should. God is the only one we need to please.

• 5 weeks later...

We are so often conformists - wishing to fit in with those around us, not to stand out as different, but to be "one of the crowd."   But being a Christian demands that we are, in fact, different from the world as Christ's disciples, in  the world, and yet not of  the world.   This may often call upon us to stand firm for our faith, even if it means societal disapproval.

• 2 years later...

2 Timothy 2:3; 3:10-12; 4:7) Why are we quieted so quickly by mild societal disapproval of our witness?

Possibly the proverbial 'not wanting to step on someone's toes'. 

What would enduring hardship “like a good soldier of Christ” look like in your life?

What would it look like to “fight the good fight” for you?

I do try to live the life as portraying someone who serves Christ. Where and when I fail, I have tried to make amends by apologizing and changing my ways. There have been such times. (I sure am grateful for Christ's forgiveness and second chances). 

I do speak about my Lord and Saviour unashamedly whenever the opportunity arises. I guess that means 'fighting the good fight'. 

I do tell the truth about what the results of a wrongdoing can have on one's life eg., abortion, drugs, living in sin, etc. I do this knowing that it sometimes meets disapproval of the hearer. 

Paul warns us in 2Tim3:12

All who desire to live a godly life in Messiah Yeshua will be persecuted. 

My prayer is that nevermind what, I will remain standing, and that at the end of my lifetime I too will be able to say like Paul, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course and have kept the faith." 

• 1 year later...

"Mild" societal disapproval doesn't silence most Chrsitians, or so it seems, but rather we fear the sort of not-so-subtle persecution which is increasingly prevalent in the West, such as being fired from a job for sharing the gospel or refusing to engage in obviously immoral practices. I have known Christians who were turned into social service agencies for obeying their elderly parents, for example, and who were subsequently dragged through the court system. I know many Christians who were denied tenure  and even more who were not even hired in the first place because they were evangelical. Persecution within Western secular society is increasingly "tough" not "mild."

Being a good soldier for Jesus means suffering. Suffering is hard to square with a good God.  So, being a good soldier means, to me, to continue to suffer in silence even when I question God's goodness and control, which I do, at times.  Being a good soldier means not giving up. It means standing up after being defeated, tightening the armor, and going back into battle.

The "good fight" is mostly internal. Yes, there is increasing persecution -- external fight -- but to remain a "good soldier" one has to battle internal tendencies to give up or in, to weaken and even deny Christ. Most of the time, when the fight has been waged in the mind (it is never completely won), the odds of winning the good fight in one's external circumstances are much better.  Fighting the good fight doesn't means I always win, but rather it means that when losing, I confess, pray for the strength to continue, and then force myself back into life. The victory is His.