JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Eternal Home

• 2 months later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 5:8; John 14:2-3) In what ways is heaven like your "home"? Which is eternal? Which is temporary? What kind of faith would it take for you to walk or live with this as your belief, rather than holding on to your earthly possessions, status, and life?

Heaven is like my home in many ways for one it is where we will spend eternity, two that is where the Lord is, three that is where our mansions are. Heaven is eternal while the earth is temporary. It would take a very strong faith that is firmly planted in Christ. 

Q2. (2 Corinthians 5:8; John 14:2-3) In what ways is heaven like your "home"?

In the way this present world is not the Believers home

Which is eternal?

Eternal that as spoken in Revelations 21 and like Bible verses/Scriptures

Which is temporary?

As the Scripture say: 2 Corinthians 4:18; 1 Peter 1:24; Isaiah 40:6-7; Matthew 5:18, 24:35; Mark 13:3; Luke 21:33; 1 Corinthians 7:31; Hebrews 1:10-12; 12:26, etc …

What kind of faith would it take for you to walk or live with this as your belief, rather than holding on to your earthly possessions, status, and life?

The kind of faith the Lord has BLESSED all that received Him to have.

On 8/28/2019 at 11:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (2 Corinthians 5:8; John 14:2-3) In what ways is heaven like your "home"? Which is eternal? Which is temporary? What kind of faith would it take for you to walk or live with this as your belief, rather than holding on to your earthly possessions, status, and life?

1. My home is temporary and is not much like Heaven! We have to pay rent and put up with noisy, thoughtless neighbors, who come and go. I used to treasure my earthly possessions: Grandmother and Great Grandmother's antiques and beautiful sterling silver and their treasures. Now, not so much. They all require lots of upkeep and polishing and the antiques are getting more fragile at 175 years old. There is still some strife between family members, though all love Jesus. So, I'm getting more and more homesick for Heaven, my eternal home. The one which was created for me (and for you!) and is forever...no strife, nothing will wear out, our bodies will be eternal with no maintenance and upkeep (I'm sooo looking forward to that....no dentists, no disease, and no combing and styling the same hair for 77 years, which is getting thinner as I type, and the gym is getting harder and harder to get up the gumption to go!) I doubt we'll have weight issues there, as our new bodies will not be flesh! Jesus lives here in our home but more like a guest.... in Heaven we will dwell in His Glorious, loving  presence continually, His Bride....His family,  and the home we can't really even imagine....Forever and ever!

I can't wait to meet Paul...I have a million questions for him...and want to thank him for living the life and fighting the good fight of faith to demonstrate how we are to live and to not give in or give up no matter how weary or discouraged we become.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 5:8; John 14:2-3) In what ways is heaven like your "home"? Which is eternal? Which is temporary?
As the saying goes, home is where our heart is. It's the place we rest in, the place we are strengthened in, the place that brings us joy, and the place to which we always return. Heaven is our ultimate, eternal home—it's where the One who cares for our hearts resides. It's where we find an abundance of joy, strength, and rest. It is our final destination. My home on Earth will house me only for a handful of decades more. The building itself will probably last only a few generations before it falls to man or nature. Nothing can damage or bring down Heaven however. Heaven is eternal and beyond the reach of earthly forces.

What kind of faith would it take for you to walk or live with this as your belief, rather than holding on to your earthly possessions, status, and life? 
It takes informed faith to live according to this knowledge—we need to know what's in store for us and how we're getting there before we can truly live by our belief in it. We also need will-power. Knowing what God wants doesn't always mean that we'll obey him—I know that I give in to my own desires very often. It takes willpower to surrender our desires and walk with this as our belief. It takes patience and self-control to let go of earthly possessions and keep our eyes fixed on God. And the only way to develop that will=power is by asking the Spirit for strength and guidance.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 5:8; John 14:2-3) In what ways is heaven like your "home"?

My present home is in the body and temporary  but, my heavenly home is eternal, everlasting and unending.   …we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 Corinthian 5:1. 

Which is eternal?

That which is eternal,  everlasting or unending. that which has no beginning or ending.

Which is temporary?

Temporary is a brief passing

The faith to walk by faith and not by sight.

As wonderful as my home was growing up and as wonderful as our home was raising our daughter and as wonderful as our home is now as empty nesters, there is NO comparison with heaven as my home.  We have lived in 9 states and Germany.  Nothing compares to our eternal home in heaven with Christ where there is no more dying, no more death, no more pain, no more suffering.  But until that time comes...and since the age of 11 when I received Christ, I have longed for heaven.  With Paul I proclaim, "For me to live is Christ, to die is GAIN!"  As long as God can use me on this earth, I am totally HIS.  The moment He is done with me on this earth, heaven is the next stop.  Hallelujah!!  

I hold NO earthly possession as "mine".  Everything belongs to my incredibly wonderful Lord.  Every breath, every heartbeat, everything, even my wife, daughter, and 5 grandsons...all gifts from God.  My status is: child of God, servant of the King.  He is my life, my all!!!  It is by HIS grace, HIS love, HIS power.  HE won the victory over sin, death, satan, and hell.  Hallelujah to the Lamb of Glory!!!  I'll turn 70 in Dec. Lord willing and as He tarries.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 5:8; John 14:2-3)

1.     In what ways is heaven like your "home"?

This is a touchy one at this time, but what I see concerning Heaven is that it is God’s dwelling place. I believe what Jesus said when he mentioned “theirs is the Kingdom Of Heaven” and “great is their reward in Heaven” in Matthew, and  5:3 & 5:12, but when I try to figure out what Heaven really is the only thing I have come up with so far is from Genesis 1:10 …and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. So often I hear the stories told about Heaven with it’s pearl gates and streets of gold but if you read what it says in Revelation  21:2 it says he …saw the Holy City, the New Jerusalem coming down out of Heaven… So where is this city coming down to or whatever is the new earth for. I take it that heaven is the space between everything contained in the heavens which would include the New Earth. I do apologize if this offends anyone but it appears the earth is like what it says in Psalm 115:16 The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD'S: but the earth hath he given to the children of men. Is not Jesus to ultimately be the King who will rule the new earth? There are just too many variables at this time for me to give the answer I would like and that is mainly because I have too many questions myself. I do believe we have the offer for eternal life though and that is good enough for me—to spend eternity with Christ.

2.     Which is eternal?

That which is eternal comes after life as we know it now.  

3.     Which is temporary?

Temporary is where we are at this point. Everything we have, have had, hope to have, have seen, see, will all pass (2 Peter 3:10 & 11).   

4.     What kind of faith would it take for you to walk or live with this as your belief, rather than holding on to your earthly possessions, status, and life?

Temporary is where we are at this point. Everything we have, have had, hope to have, have seen, see, will all pass (2 Peter 3:10 & 11).  

In what ways is heaven like your "home"? 
Which is eternal? 
Which is temporary? 

In the same way that we now feel at home in our earthly body, when we receive our resurrection body, we will feel at home as well. However, to be at home in the earthly body means to live in an “earthly tent” built by human hands (2 Cor 5:1), to be outwardly “wasting away” (2 Cor 4:16), and to be in a state of mortality. And since, here on earth, we live by faith, and not by sight (2 Cor 5:7), it means that we don’t see our Lord; in other words we are not in His presence. All this will change, in that when we die, we will immediately be with Him, and eventually in our new home from God, not made with hands - exchanging our temporary residence for a permanent residence “with the Lord”. To think we will be spending eternity with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ! In a place where there is no sin (Revelation 21:27), no sorrow or death (Revelation 21:4), no mourning and no night (Revelation 21:25); no separation (Revelation 21:1); no tears (Revelation 7:17); and no war (Psalm 46:9). The question is rather, why would any true believer want to hold on their earthy possessions, status, and life?  

Q2. (2 Corinthians 5:8; John 14:2-3) In what ways is heaven like your "home"? In every way heaven is our home. There is so much expectation of heaven,I believe it more than any of our expectations.

Which is eternal? As Jesus said in John 14:2 My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? Heaven is my eternal home in every way. It is so hard to even express because no eye has seen and no ear has heard.
Which is temporary? This place on this earth is temporary.

What kind of faith would it take for you to walk or live with this as your belief, rather than holding on to your earthly possessions, status, and life? A simple faith as small as a mustard seed said Jesus. . A faith that makes me  live away from my  body and to be constantly with Jesus from the moment I open my eyes in the morning until I lay down to rest and close my eyes in rest.

Heaven is like my home because it is where Jesus will be and i will see Him as He is . He is with me now residing in my body but then I will be like Him. I will have a body like His and I will finally see Him. Here I long to become more like Him and know Him more. There I will know Him fully as He knows me. This home I have now is temporary but heaven is eternal. it is where I will be with Jesus and the ones who died before me, forever. 

It will take me saying to Jesus that I want to know Him more than anything. It will take me surrendering all and trusting Him to take care of me. It will take spending more time with Him in study and prayer; learning to love Him more than anything or anyone; even my own life. It will take me giving over to Him all my fears, anxieties, and doubts and realizing that he loves me and wants the best for me.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To me, heaven is like home, to be present with the Lord and be where he is. It is he I love and the one I want to spend eternity with.

The kind of faith it takes to walk and live in my belief is to me astronomical, only through Christ and the Holy Spirit can I even do this. For the cravings of the flesh are even stronger it seems because of the war between my spirit and the flesh. These earthly possessions are only temporary and will do nothing for me in eternity.  

Q. In what ways is heaven like your "home"?

A. It has all you need compared to a worldly place whether  your home or somewhere else on earth where some of our needs cannot be met, I think.

Q. Which is eternal?

A.Heaven.

Q. Which is temporary?

A. Here on earth.

Q. What kind of faith would it take for you to walk or live with this as your belief, rather than holding on to your earthly possessions, status, and life?

A. Solid and cast iron faith that is unshakeable

Paul contrasts our earthly body and our future resurrection body. Paul clearly states that our present body makes us groan, but when we die we will not be spirits without bodies. We will have new bodies that will be perfect for our everlasting life. Paul wrote as he did because the church at Corinth was surrounded by Greek culture, and many believers had difficulty with the concept of bodily resurrection because the Greeks did not believe in it. Most saw the afterlife as something that happened only to the soul, with the real person imprisoned in a physical body. They believed that at death the soul was released; there was no immortality for the body, and the soul enters an eternal state. But the Bible teaches that the body and soul are not permanently separated.  We will still have personalities and recognizable characteristics in our resurrected body, but through Christ’s work, our body will be better than we can imagine. The Bible does not tell us everything about our resurrected body, but we know that it will be perfect, without sickness, disease, or pain.

Jesus said, “I am going to prepare a place for you,” and “I will come and get you.” We can look forward to this eternal life because Jesus has promised us all who believe in him. Although the details of eternity are unknown, we need not fear because Jesus is preparing for us and will spend eternity with us.The life we are living today is temporary

On 8/28/2019 at 2:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. Heaven is like a home where God's presence is continually.  It is a place of total peace,  extreme joy, love  and happiness.  No sin, no fear, no doubt, no tears, no lies, no regrets, no stress, no unbelief, etc.  I don't think we will have to ask any questions because God will automatically give us input and we will be content beyond contentment. We will be continually praising God and thanking Him for Jesus and His Holy Spirit and the work of Redemption. We are complete in Him and for eternity.

b. Heaven

c. Earth

d. The faith of God and the Word of God.   As our Father Abraham, we look for a city whose builder and maker is God. Heb. 11:16;   Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. Col. 3:2 ;   Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:  But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Matt. 6:19-21  Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. I John 2:15

In what ways is heaven like your "home"? Which is eternal? Which is temporary?

To be in Christ's immediate presence in heaven.  Eternal is Heaven.  Temporary is here on earth.

Faith the size of a mustard seed is all it takes. 

• 4 weeks later...

For a Christian, to be "at home" is to be with Christ.  In John's Gospel, Chapter 14, he states very clearly that He is preparing a home for us "where He is." i.e. in Heaven.   It is hard for many Christians, like myself, to grasp this, because this world is all we know, and we cling to the familiar.    Our minds are too small and confined to understand the concept of our eternal home.   Therefore, we have to accept, in faith, the fact that this world is only temporary, and that our eternal home is with Christ.   Many brilliant minds have tried to explain what this will be like, but in the last instance, none of us actually know.   But we know Jesus Christ, and we know that His promises are true.  Therefore, in faith, we have to turn our backs on this temporary world, and on the possessions that anchor us to the earth, and look forward, in joy, to our eternal home.   

• 2 years later...

2 Corinthians 5:8; John 14:2-3) In what ways is heaven like your "home"?

Which is eternal?

Which is temporary?

I am reminded of the song we used to sing : This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through. My treasures are laid up, way there beyond the blue. The angels becon me from Heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore. 

It sort of explains it, that where we are now is temporary. The eternal is coming where we will forever be with the Lord. That is where true peace and happiness reigns supreme. 

• 1 year later...

It is so horrible and frighteningthat Paul was beheaded. I thought he was crucified upside-down but that must have been another disciple. Where was God? Why didn't God rescue these two godly men? Did Paul expect God to come get him at the end, to rescue and deliver him? It hugely challenges my faith in His goodness and brings tears of fear and anxiety to read about Paul's death as well as the painful end of other godly martyrs. If God can't be depended upon to rescue us when flames under us get hot, then how can we expect Him to rescue us in lesser things? That's the crux of faith in martyrdom, isn't it? 

I want to believe that God will rescue me here and later. I want to believe that He'll answer my prayer for deliverance when the time comes to die. But I fear He will treat me like Paul ... Paul's example looms too large in my mind to put aside easily.

--

Yes, heaven is home. As I entered my 50s I started to think, for the first time, about heaven. Perhaps that's an age-appropriate way of being. Younger people aren't as interested in heaven as older folk. I'm thinking through the idea of heaven now -- even the idea of eternal life boggles my pea brain.

I understand this physical world, this temporary life I now live. It's familiar. Comfortable. So, it's difficult to think about something utterly different though better.

I have already given up my earthly possessions and status but not my life. In this world, I'm no one with nothing. Life, itself, though, is hard to give up which is why martyrdom is so frightening. "Lord, help me deal with this. I cannot get over the fear that you want me to suffer horribly as I die and will abandon me in this and other crucial prayers. When I pray for provision, I want to know you're faithful and dependable, not capricious. When I pray for protection, I need to believe you'll swoop down to rescue me. I want to truly believe that you're a good God who wants the best for me, yet stories like Paul 's death ... are too much. I need Your help."