JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Death Is Gain

• 2 months later...

Q4. (Philippians 1:20-23) In what way is death "gain" for Paul? (verse 21). Which is better for him? Life or death? (verse 23) How does Paul decide which he prefers -- life vs. death -- according to verses 22-24?

Death is gain for Paul because he will be with Christ for eternity. For him he wants so badly to be with Christ. He decides through realizing that the church needs him more and chooses to stay longer until his death. 

Q4. (Philippians 1:20-23) In what way is death "gain" for Paul? (verse 21).

Truthfully I believe we’ll only know on the other side of heaven, we can speculate. It is my belief the witness Paul shares here in context of the Scripture death for the cause of furtherance the Gospel of Christ is the next progression of the union with Christ. Paul’s Chains Advance the Gospel verses 12-26 & Life Worthy of the Gospel verses 27-30

Self- Martyrdom is not the call of Christ; however denying Self is - Paul throughout his writing (his life) speaks of serving Christ even if it means suffering and dying for the cause.  When I served in the military I didn’t want to die, however I was willing to sacrifice my desires and my life for the cause of serving. If giving my life would have been the next progression to the union of the cause I was willing – if my living distracted and/or took away from the furtherance of the call I would have rather died.  If in my living I could farther and/or strengthen the call – then my living to farther the call/cause would allow me to continue in the endeavor.  

Which is better for him?

Being the Lord had continue work for him, continuing in life was in accordance with the Lord’s will/plan.

Life or death? (verse 23)

Life in service fighting the good fight of faith inward and outward.

How does Paul decide which he prefers -- life vs. death -- according to verses 22-24?

He continues abiding in Christ, he continues serving, he continues being an anointed vessel, he continue in his assignment/appointment unto Christ.  

On 8/28/2019 at 11:14 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Philippians 1:20-23) In what way is death "gain" for Paul? (verse 21). Which is better for him? Life or death? (verse 23) How does Paul decide which he prefers -- life vs. death -- according to verses 22-24?

1. To die is to gain the Glory of Eternity. (After being with Jesus for 3 years in Arabia (Gal 2:18)  and if he died when he was stoned and left for dead at Lystra but brought back to life, as it seems to hint in scripture, (2 Cor 2:12) he has been to Heaven and "tasted" the Glory of Eternity, and is more than ready and longing to be set free from his earthly body and to be in Heaven.

2. He yearned to die and be with Christ in Heaven, which was "far, far better."

3. To live was more "needful and essential" for the Church, in his service as apostle, missionary and teacher, so convinced of this he knew he must remain.

( Philippians 1:20-23)Deaths gain for Paul because he departs to be with Christ.

Paul says to depart and be with Christ is far better than life in this body. He prefers death to life because it being at home with Jesus, a gain and far better than life.

According to Philippians 1: 22-24 Paul has to decide which is better life or death in terms of the benefits of him being alive or dying. He feels convinced that he lives physically it will be fruitful labor, benefit to the Philippians and other churches to help them towards progress and joy in the faith and to increase their joy in Christ. Even though Paul says death is a gain and far better than life, he still decides and prefers life because his life will benefit the   Churches all around and build them up in faith and joy.

Q4. (Philippians 1:20-23)

1.     In what way is death "gain" for Paul? (verse 21).

Death would have been gain for Paul because instead of rotting away in chained torment, he could be with Christ where every tear is wiped.

2.     Which is better for him? Life or death? (verse 23)

Death would be better for him in fact it would be better for all believers because it would mean the end of all struggles. We must patiently await the day God calls us home though keeping in mind until that time He has something for us to do.

3.     How does Paul decide which he prefers -- life vs. death -- according to verses 22-24?

Paul decides on life however I don’t think it was so much his idea as it was God’s. Paul decided that it wasn’t his time and there were still things he needed to do.

Q4. (Philippians 1:20-23) In what way is death "gain" for Paul?

ways gain for Paul; He will be released from his home in the body, Paul’s death “gain” he would have  finished his course , be with the Lord and gain eternal life.

(verse 21). Which is better for him?

To live for Christ to produce fruit for his labor

Life or death? (verse 23) How does Paul decide which he prefers -- life vs. death -- according to verses 22-24?
Paul life vs. death. Paul chose what would be better, not for himself, but for others Philippians 1:22-26

The questions are always:  What is God's will?  What will glorify Him most?  What will He use for the maximum benefit of His kingdom?  I have wanted to go to heaven since receiving Christ at age 11.  Who wouldn't want to go to heaven?  But God has seen fit to use me for His purposes on this earth and I will soon hit 70.  Glory to Him alone!  He always knows what is best and right for us, for our families, and for others.

Death is “gain” to Paul because he know that he is going to be with the Lord. Probably death was the better choice because he was going to be going through a lot of pain. I don’t think that Paul decided life over death he is letting the Lord do it for him. He knows that if he sticks here on earth that he will be able to convert more people but to die he will be with the Lord which is much better.

In what way is death "gain" for Paul? (verse 21). 
Which is better for him? 
How does Paul decide which he prefers - life vs. death - according to verses 22-24?  

Paul gains by dying because he will actually be with Christ, “at home with the Lord” (2 Cor 5:8). Paul also rejoices most when Christ is magnified in his person which will be the case when he is with Christ (1 Cor 13:12). Death would be better for him, a distinct gain, as his partial knowledge of Christ will be perfected (1 Cor 8:13), there will also be more joy, more adoration, and more fellowship with Christ. As I read somewhere: death is gain because it brings more of Christ to Paul, and more of Paul to Christ. Paul truly loves Christ, and more than anything else loves to be with Christ to glorify Him forever; to be free from sin and from suffering. But he realises that there is still much work to be done here on earth – there are many spiritual needs and that any further ministry will bring glory to the Lord. The choice is a difficult one - remaining here or departing to be with Christ. But for the sake of the church, he felt it was necessary that he lives on earth a little longer. The church had existed for not much longer than a decade, it had its weaknesses, and was confronted with real dangers (Php 3:2-3). The need of the church weighs heavier with him than the desire of his own soul. This goes to show what an unselfish and great-hearted man Paul is. 

Death is gain for paul because he will be with the Lord then. Paul does not know which is better; he longs to die and be with Christ which is better for him personally but he laos longs to remain and help the churches and believers become stronger in the faith. He says that death is far better than life because he will be with the Lord then.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:14 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

For the apostle Paul death was gain for him because he will be in the presence of the Lord and reap his reward.

As for Paul it was better to remain with the living because it was for their gain that he remained with them. He could continue teaching and evangelizing where ever he went. Because of his persecution he counted it gain for himself to be with the Lord.

Paul would rather have death versus living, for he states he has finished the race the Lord has given and he is ready to meet the Lord.  

Q4. (Philippians 1:20-23) In what way is death "gain" for Paul? (verse 21). Paul considers death “gain” because he immediately gets to be with Jesus and all pain and affliction is no more.

Which is better for him? Life or death? (verse 23) Paul’s desire to die physically is far more powerful than to go on living physically.

How does Paul decide which he prefers -- life vs. death -- according to verses 22-24? Paul decides that if he is to go on living it would be an opportunity for him to continue to labor for Christ. Even though he seems torn between the both, his desire to be with Christ is stronger but at the same time for now he has be around for the sake of others.

Q. In what way is death "gain" for Paul? (verse 21).  

A. Death will enable him be at home with the Lord Jesus Christ

Q. Which is better for him? Life or death? (verse 23)

A. Death.

Q. How does Paul decide which he prefers -- life vs. death -- according to verses 22-24?

A. Quoting Him "23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me." (Philippians 1:22-26)"

To those who don’t believe in God, life on earth is all there is, and so it is natural for them to strive for this world’s values: money, popularity, power, pleasure, and prestige. For Paul, however, to live meant to develop eternal values and to tell others about Christ, who alone could help them see life from an eternal perspective. Paul’s whole purpose in life was to speak out boldly for Christ and to become more like him. Thus, Paul could confidently say that dying would be even better than living, because in death he would be removed from worldly troubles, and he would see Christ face to face

On 8/28/2019 at 2:14 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. Because he would be immediately present with the Lord.

b. It would be far better for him to be with the Lord

c. . Life - He would be able to bear more fruit for the Lord, benefiting the Philippians and other churches helping them to more joy and faith in Christ.                                                         Death - He would be with Christ, gain, far better.

d. I am torn between the two. I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better indeed. Phil. 1:23

In what way is death "gain" for Paul? (verse 21). Which is better for him? Life or death? (verse 23) How does Paul decide which he prefers -- life vs. death -- according to verses 22-24?

Death is gain for Paul because he will be with the Lord.  If he died is better for him for he will be spared from the troubles of the world and see Christ face to face.  Paul ponders between the two.  Paul concludes that whichever gives Christ the most glory.

• 4 weeks later...

If Paul is to die, he will move into the closer presence of God and will be with Him in a more special sense.  He would rather depart and be with Christ, but he still feels a responsibility to the churches that he has created, and a need to remain and to keep working with them.   He feels that this is more necessary, for to die is a more selfish wish, for it would be only for his own benefit.

• 2 years later...

Philippians 1:20-23)

In what way is death "gain" for Paul? (verse 21).

Which is better for him?

How does Paul decide which he prefers -- life vs. death -- according to verses 22-24?

For Paul death would mean to be with the Lord.

In one way death would be better for him, as long as Christ is exalted in his body. But in another way life would be because there would be fruit from his work. 

For him to be with Messiah would be far better but unselfishly he decides that for the peoples' sake it is more necessary for him to be alive. 

• 1 year later...

Paul is facing death. He knows it. Christians do not weigh the advantages of death unless they believe they're soon to die. The brutality of Paul's death may not have been known to him, but the fact of his soon death seems sure.

Yes, it's good to be with Jesus for eternity, but i'm still troubled that God did not intervene in the brutal deaths of those who were most passionately devoted to him, his disciples. It's very faith-deflating to fear God may NOT deliver us in the most dire, truly existential moments of our lives. I can't deal with this.