JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2019 at 11:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Colossians 1:14-20; Romans 8:1) What does it mean to be “in Christ”? Why is such union with Christ so important?

1. It means that we no longer walk after the dictates of the flesh but after the dictates of the Spirit. (John 3:18) We, having said "yes" to His invitation to become His, are born again into His likeness,  and we are new creatures in Christ, indwelt and empowered by Holy Spirit. ( indwelt by the God-head Colossians 2:10)

2. First, it is the only way to have eternal life! Second, our new life begins at that moment and the transformation of our flesh begins until we become more and more like Him. We no longer just know "about" Him, we've begun the amazing and miraculous process of KNOWING HIM, in an intimate relationship (Phil 3:10-14)....we "hear" His voice, we are led by His Spirit, no longer lost and adrift toward a meaningless end in eternal death, but now look forward to the joy of eternal life with our God, in His Presence forever!

These are a few of the benefits I am rejoicing in this morning because we are in Christ, after reading Ephesians chapter 1:

1. God chose, selected, called me in love before the foundation of the world was formed.
  2. God foreordained and adopted me as His own, in Jesus because it pleased Him.
  3. In Him I’m redeemed and forgiven.
  4. I am God’s portion.
  5. I obtained an inheritance.
  6. I am destined and appointed to live for the praise of God’s glory.
  7. I am sealed with the  Holy Spirit.
  8. I am alive in Christ.... the same new life with which Christ was quickened from the grave.
  9. I am seated with joint seating with Him.
10. I belong to God’s own household.
11. He has crowned me with  glory, honor, beauty, and splendor, bearing God’s beauty. 

How we praise and thank You for this unbelievable privilege....a million thank You's aren't adequate...we'll be thanking You throughout eternity as we rejoice in Your Presence!!!

"Being in Christ" means God has initiated our relationship through the new birth, and we have surrendered all to Him so that Christ, by the work of the Holy Spirit, has regenerated us, redeemed us, and now fills us so that Christ will be seen and heard through our lives, bringing glory to God alone.

Q2. (Colossians 1:14-20; Romans 8:1) What does it mean to be "in Christ"? Why is such union with Christ so important?
To be 'in Christ' is to be in Christ's domain. It is to accept Christ as our saviour, it is to be in a relationship with him, it is to hear his voice, and to be blanketed in his presence. To be in Christ is also to have Christ in you.

The union is important because without it we are imperfect and therefore incomplete. Without that union in Christ, which makes us righteous, we are all that is weak and powerless about humanity. Some of us may be better, others may be worse, but none of us is pure enough to go into God's presence. With Christ's sacrifice to justify us, with our repentance and God's forgiveness, our weaknesses are covered by God's strength and our imperfections are exchanged for Christ's perfection. We tend to aim for excellence in most things we do—to be united with Christ is to achieve ultimate eternal perfection.

(Colossians 1:14-20;Romans 8:1) To be "In Christ " means to be in union with Jesus Christ. It suggests a close association that is, union with Christ.

Such a union is very important to as as believers in Christ because we receive the fullness of Christ as Christ dwells in us through His Holy Spirit. This union with Christ empowers us to His true disciples and we will be sharing His righteousness. We no longer belong the world but we belong to Christ who has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us into His Kingdom and we receive redemption and forgiveness of our sins because we are "In Christ"

Through this union with Christ ,we are born again, created anew, adopted as God's children into His family and redeemed from sin and darkness.

Q2. (Colossians 1:14-20; Romans 8:1) What does it mean to be "in Christ"?

It means to be in union with Christ, therefore, we cannot be condemned, old things have passed away, and now all things are made new.

Why is such union with Christ so important?

This union with Christ is important in several ways: it’s says, we are redeemed, by the blood of Jesus, transferred into the kingdom by adoption into son-ship. Now, if Christ is righteous and we are in him, therefore we share his righteousness because we are one with Christ.

If a person is not "in" Christ and Christ "in" that person, there is no salvation.  As Jesus prayed in John 17 that we would be one as He and the Father were one means that we have been regenerated by God's Spirit and He sealed us unto the day of our final completed redemption.  There is NO condemnation to those who are IN Christ Jesus.  It means we have received Him and He has transformed us from children of darkness to children of light, from a child of hell to a child of heaven, from being lost to being saved.  We are IN God's hands, never to be released.  We are empowered by the indwelling Holy Spirit.

The meaning of being “in Christ” is to know him and study him all the time. We are to pray and stay in touch and we have the Holy Spirit to help us. This union with Christ is so important because we can’t do the things that the Holy Spirit puts on our hearts. We are to imitate Him and we can’t to that unless we are in Him. Christ is the only way to heaven.

Q2. (Colossians 1:14-20; Romans 8:1) What does it mean to be "in Christ"?

In Christ to me means that I completely believe in His works on my behalf. I trust His Word, I trust His Love, I trust His shared Wisdom; I trust His Work before the cross, on the cross and after the cross. I fully accept His sacrifice as payment for my own sin. As I believe in the work of Christ I believe that I am in step with Him, being in step with Him I am in union with Him.

In Christ Jesus I am His Child through faith, through spiritual baptism into Christ I am clothed with Him; through physical baptism I publicly announced my decision to surrender unto Him; as I live move and have being the Fruit of the Spirit through Beatitude living I demonstrate I’m living in Christ.

Such a union with Christ is so important in so many ways; I shall attempt to mention only a few

John 15:4-5, Philippians 4:13

This union with Christ is so important because it is life, (Justification, Sanctification, Glorification; the union is the crux salvation, our being sanctified and central to joy/peace given by the Prince of Peace while on this side of heaven) and has the potential to change lives.

Q2. (Colossians 1:14-20; Romans 8:1) What does it mean to be "in Christ"? To be in Christ means that we belong to Christ as we have been bought by His redemptive blood. Not only does Jesus save us by going to the cross, He also gives us His Holy Spirit. When the spirit of God intermingles with our human spirit, it is so powerful that it can mean for us that we are in Christ, what a wonderful privilege from God our Father.

Why is such union with Christ so important? Such a union with Christ is so important because it frees us from all condemnation. It transforms us from the old self to a new self in Christ Jesus. This is something planned and purposed by God for us as a free gift because of His love for us. Being in union with Christ allows us to be born again. Without such a union with Christ we will be unable to use his righteousness to enter heaven.

Q2. (Colossians 1:14-20; Romans 8:1)

1.     What does it mean to be "in Christ"?

Let me begin with the line “image of the invisible God on this one. As Christ was the image of God, we need to set our sites on being just like Christ. Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. The verse says it all. Jesus was without sin just as His Father is without sin and, on top of that Jesus was willing to be a servant to all going so far as to die for our redemption of sin. We need to be imitators of Christ, living our lives without sin, willing to do what Christ said was the ultimate show of love for fellow human beings. That is quite a belly full but isn’t that what Jesus said?

2.     Why is such union with Christ so important?

This union is important because if we are looking for the resurrection which leads to eternal life, yet on that day Jesus would look at one of us and say “I don’t know you” then everything you lived for is lost forever. Jesus said to defeat sin and live accordingly so that we may serve His purpose here in this life and also in a life hoped for to come.

Q. What does it mean to be "in Christ"?

A. To be in union with Him through the indwelling of the Ho;y Spirit (His Spirit) that dwels in us.

Q. Why is such union with Christ so important?

A.We are in Him and In God even as He is God and this makes us secure in Him and in God. 

What does it mean to be in Christ?

We have been delivered from darkness and placed in the kingdom of God's beloved Son through the redemption from and forgiveness of our sins. He has sent us the Holy Spirit to dwell in us.

This union is important because we are in Christ now.  He is righteous and we share in His righteousness.  We are one with Christ; we are heirs and joint heirs with Christ. 

Q2. (Colossians 1:14-20; Romans 8:1) What does it mean to be “in Christ”? Why is such union with Christ so important?

We are delivered from the power of the darkness and directly placed in the kingdom of God's Son through redemption and forgiveness of our sins. He has sent us the Holy Spirit to inwardly dwell in us forever. The union with Christ is so important because without it we can't be heard by God and can't enter heaven.

What does it mean to be "in Christ"? 

To be in Christ is to be a new creation. If we have sincerely trusted Christ for our salvation and acknowledged Him as Lord, then the Holy Spirit lives within us - we are born again. We enter into a spiritual union with Jesus Christ and we remain in this position forever – it’s a permanent gift from God, and will never be taken away. Our union with Christ makes available to us a great number of spiritual benefits, and can be used and enjoyed continuously during our time here on earth and will continue into eternity. We are made perfect in the sight of God (Col 2:9,10), and we have obtained the Righteousness of Christ (2 Cor 5:21). While here on earth we are identified with Christ in His life and we share certain aspects of His life (Eph 3:1-14). For example we share in His election (Eph 1:4), His Holiness (1 Cor 1:30), His inheritance (Rom 8:16-17); and His Kingdom (Col 1:13). Biblical examples of our union with Christ are: Vine and branches (John 15:1-7); Head and body (Eph 1:22-23); Bridegroom and bride (Rev 19:7-9); and Shepherd and flock (John 10:16). Our union with Christ is vital because we are now justified, declared righteous, not under His wrath (Romans 1:18), and have eternal life (Romans 5:17-18). Not only has God declared us not guilty but He has drawn us close to Himself. There is now no enmity – instead we have become His own children (Galatians 4:5). 

When Paul says that we look forward to the joys of heaven, he is emphasizing the security of the believer. Because we know that our future destination and salvation are sure we are free to live for Christ and love others. When you find yourself doubting or wavering in our faith or love, remember our destination—heaven.

Paul lists five benefits God gives all believers through Christ: (1) He enabled us to share his inheritance. (2) he rescued us from Satan’s kingdom of darkness and made us his children ; (3) he brought us into his eternal Kingdom. (4) he purchased our freedom from sin and judgment with his blood. (5) he forgave all our sins Thank God for what you have received in Christ.

The Colossian church had several misconceptions about Christ that Paul directly refuted: (1) Believing that matter is evil, false teachers argued that God would not have come to earth as a true human being in bodily form. Paul stated that Christ is the image—the exact likeness—of God and is himself God, and yet he died on the cross as a human being. (2) They believed that God did not create the world because he would not have created evil. Paul proclaimed that Jesus Christ, who was also God in the flesh, is the Creator of both heaven and earth. (3) They said that Christ was not the unique Son of God but rather one of many intermediaries between God and people. Paul explained that Christ existed before anything else and is the firstborn of those resurrected. (4) They refused to see Christ as the source of salvation, insisting that people could find God only through special and secret knowledge. In contrast, Paul openly proclaimed the way of salvation to be through Christ alone. Paul continued to bring the argument back to Christ. When we share the Good News, we, too, must keep the focus on Christ.

Q2. (Colossians 1:14-20; Romans 8:1) What does it mean to be "in Christ"? Why is such union with Christ so important?

"In Christ" means close association or in union with Christ. This close association is initiated by God.  This close relation, this union with Christ, is brought about by the Holy Spirit -- Christ's Holy Spirit being joined with our human spirit (1 Corinthians 6:17). In that sense, we are a "temple" of the Holy Spirit who dwells within us (1 Corinthians 6:19). It suggests that when Christ saves us, he places us within his own sphere and joins us to him. We belong to him. We have been bought by his blood. We are united with him in spirit. We are "in Christ." This is not a fragile union, dependent upon our daily emotions. Rather, we have been transferred by God into Christ's sphere:

Such a union with Christ is important because Christ is righteous and when we are "in him," we share his righteousness. We are one with Christ and God sees us in the righteousness of Christ.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:17 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Because Christ has shed his blood for us, through faith we are joined with him by the Holy Spirit. We are now one in Christ, we are now a new creation the old nature is gone.

It is important to have this union with Christ because he has made us a new creation, by his power we can overcome the sinful nature that we once had and bring glory to God.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:17 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Colossians 1:14-20; Romans 8:1) What does it mean to be “in Christ”?  Why is such union with Christ so important?

a. I am in union with Christ.  I am born again by the Spirit of God, I am created in Christ Jesus, I am adopted into the family of God, I am redeemed by the Blood of the Lamb.        I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.  (Galatians 2:20)  For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. (Acts 17:28) Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. (2 Cor. 5:17)  There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. (Gal. 3:28)

b. This union is important because we can know who we are in Christ and whose we are, by His Holy Spirit living in us. Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? (1 Cor. 3:16)   I am in Christ. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.  (Col.3:2) 

It means that we are joined to Him. We are one with Him and in His sphere. We are in the same family because we are adopted into the family of God. We have been bought with the precious blood of Christ. We share the same Spirit and the same Father, who is God.

It is important because without Him we can do nothing. We must be a part of the vine in order to produce fruit. If we are not a part of Him then we are lost. Only when He comes to live within us can we do anything. He gives the power and strength to do His work. 

What does it mean to be “in Christ”? Why is such union with Christ so important?

It means you are covered by His sacrificial blood & you have accepted Him as your soul's saviour! It means you are a christian & obey His word. It means you have been baptized for remission of sin in Jesus's name. We can do nothing without Christ.

•  

• 5 weeks later...

If we are "in Christ" we have been born anew, a new creation.   We have been adopted into the family of God and we have been redeemed by the death of Christ so that, being cleansed of our sins we may truly be part of His Body, the redeemed.

It is important because, when we are in Christ we have been saved from the darkness of sin, and transferred into His heavenly kingdom.  If we are in Christ, and Christ dwells in us, we will be better able to resist temptation, and will be able to live as one of the redeemed sons of God.

• 2 years later...

Colossians 1:14-20; Romans 8:1) What does it mean to be "in Christ"? Why is such union with Christ so important?

To be 'in Christ' means to be in close association with Him, to be transferred into His sphere. To be one with Him. To be part of Him. 

Some have mentioned the branch in the Vine. 

This is important because it is the only WAY to get to be with Him throughout eternity. It is the only way to come before the Father as Christ's righteousness is seen. That covers me. (Thank you Jesus) 

• 1 year later...

As Pastor Ralph just taught, "in" means "union." So, to be "in Christ" means to be unified with Christ, in union with Him, or one with Christ. 

I tend to skip over the importance of little words such as "in" and therefore miss their significance. When I say that I am "in Him", in prayer, and with others, it is a way of saying I'm a Christian. But it's much more than this, and I should use my words more carefully. 

To be "in Christ" is somewhat like having the ground I stand on made new and different. It's foundational, that is. Furthermore, just as I am in Him, He is in me. That's the circle of faith and salvation, that God is in me for the first time, and I am in Him -- unified with Him.