JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Knowing Christ

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2019 at 11:19 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Philippians 3:8-9) How can pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements actually get in the way of "knowing Christ"? Has this ever happened to you or someone you know?

1. Any time I might be deluded into depending  upon my own righteousness (of which I have none and Isaiah 64:6-8 declares as "filthy rags") I would nullify His Sovereignty (to which I've eagerly and willingly submitted). How crazy to create distance and separateness at which time He would step back and let me take a "tumble"...requiring correction and discipline. I don't want to go there! 

2. I don't recall that exact situation, but definitely recall pride rearing it's ugly head (I "get" why  God hates pride! Prov 6:16-19). Pride is an attitude of independence from God....sheer foolishness! I shook my fist at Him while a brand new believer, determined to have my own way, and even went so far as to say "It would be just like you to try and stop me". Talk about arrogance and blindness! He didn't stop me. I regret that to this day, though forgiven and under the blood of Jesus! However, it was a valuable learning experience I never want to revisit again! I'm so grateful that He is my loving Papa, and I've learned to trust His will for me even when it's painful because He's always loving and always right...FATHER  KNOWS BEST!

Rom 8:28,29 says He used that ugly disobedience and willfulness for my good.... to further bring me into conformation to the image of Christ!

Pride in our own "righteousness" is no righteousness at all.  Pride in "our righteousness" is an abomination to God.  Our righteousness, acceptable to God is imputed righteousness, coming from Him into us.  It is also the Holy Spirit working the righteousness of Christ IN our lives, NOT us trying to "work righteousness".  Ours is to surrender and yield even as Romans 12 exhorts.

From time to time pride raises its ugly head when I think I don't deserve to be treated in a certain way.  I deserve nothing but eternal hell and so when I think I "deserve" better, the Holy Spirit puts me in check so I repent of pride immediately.  It is so very sly.  It takes seconds.  O that God keeps me sensitive to His whispers so live in a spirit of repentance.

Q3. (Philippians 3:8-9) How can pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements actually get in the way of "knowing Christ"? Has this ever happened to you or someone you know?
When we take pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements we remove the credit from God. We pretend that the strength that came from the Spirit was our own and that the forgiveness that God graciously gave us was a right. We rely upon ourselves and stop making an effort to open ourselves up to God. 

Yes it has happened to people I know. I've seen them go further away from God and deeper into themselves, without realising that they're straying, as a result of that belief. They become more likely to condemn people, more likely to demand perfection in others, and more likely to interpret scripture to support their own conclusions. It feels like they're trying to be in a relationship with themselves, blind to the fact that they're no longer with God.

It's also happened to me. The way God handles it fills me with joy. When I begin to rely upon myself or take credit for God's work he is quick to disillusion me by sending me some form of discipline. It's usually in the form of my great plans going wrong, my hard work going down the drain, or my 'perfect' self making humiliating mistakes. His discipline is swift and brings me to my sensesit instantly hits me at those moments that I was trying to do something without God or trying to be someone without God. And this is something that constantly amazes methat God watches over me so carefully and sends me the discipline so quickly. I may suffer a little for it, but if he were to not alert me to my error I know I would suffer even more. God cares about me at every level for every minute of every day.

Thank you Jesus for your mercy, your patience, and your love!

(Philippians 3:8-9) Our own pride and righteousness and religious achievements can actually get in the way of "Knowing Christ" because we are proud and self righteous depending on our own wisdom  and knowledge  to know God. We will not be able to experience the reality of who God is if we full of ourselves thinking we know it all. We have to empty ourselves as Paul did, unlearn everything and seek to know Christ through His Holy Spirit in us. We have to let go of all our achievements ,our human wisdom or knowledge , our self righteous attitudes and seek to know Jesus humbling ourselves before Him. 

Pride,righteousness and confidence in religious achievements will hinder us developing a closer intimacy with Jesus or knowing Him truly. We have to seek a personal relationship with Jesus by letting go of ourselves and learn from Jesus who gentle and humble. As we develop  a closer walk with the Lord and seek to know Him intimately spending time in His presence and His Word we will surely "know Him".

To "Know Christ" is living in a closer relationship with Jesus and have intimacy with Him.We have to give up everything as Paul did to know Him.We need to have child like faith in Christ and not faith in our righteousness and religious achievements which makes us proud from experiencing the power of Christ in our lives.

Yes many a times my pride ,righteousness and religious achievements have come in the way of Knowing Jesus and getting closer to Him. But He is always faithful and chastises me of these attitudes through any situation and since He is the Good Shepherd of my life ,He leads me with His rod and staff. Thus, I know I am nothing without Christ and have to a place to know that all I am and all that I have is only because of Christ who saved my by His grace and not on my own merit.

Q3. (Philippians 3:8-9) How can pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements actually get in the way of "knowing Christ"?

Perhaps the same and/or some of the root causes which prevented my religious leaders mentioned in the Gospels and the Epistles.

Self-righteousness is dependent upon one’s own knowledge, acknowledgement, perceived wisdom and understanding and in most cases humility is absent. Without humility the person will not allow themselves to submit to and/or humble themselves to focus upon anything other that the perception in which he/she hold.    

Religious achievements stem from adoration/complements /rewards from man, some people glory in receiving the praise of men.  If this occurs the person tends to seek the glory; when this occurs – it gets in the way of INTIMACY with Christ.

Instead of loving the Lord with ALL his/her heart, strength and soul, the person loves the perceived earthly/carnal /natural rewards.  

Has this ever happened to you or someone you know?

In regards to myself, if it has no one has brought it to my attention; I’m sure on occasion it may have, but if so I am not aware of it.

Not mentioning a specific individual, but unfortunately I have witness what I perceive as an abundance of self-righteousness as one person speaks against a denomination. They boast about holiness, use of the gifts, righteousness and the another person from a different denomination boast of grace and not being under the law, law of liberty, etc…

I often find both sides of the argument sadden at times and discouraging. It’s been said if we are not able to get along now, how will we get alone in glory. My FERVERNT prayers are we strive to become more like Him Today in servanthood, godly servitude, humility, meekness, love, etc…

It is my prayer that all believing to serve Him do so according to His will wherein we  will not hear the words of Matthew 7:21-23, BUT hear “well Done thy good and faithful servant”

Q3. (Philippians 3:8-9) How can pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements actually get in the way of "knowing Christ"?

Pride in our own righteousness and religiousness achievements are at odds with the gospel. pride puffs up, “if anyone thinks he knows anything, he does not yet know it as he ought to know it.’ (1 Corinthians 8:1-2). Being self-center, get in our way of knowing Christ. The scripture tells us our own righteousness are like filthy rags (Isa 64:6) and therefore if we want to know Christ, we must recognize that true righteousness is a matter of our faith, not works.   Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall.Proverbs 16:18 (NKJV)  Isiah  14:12-15

The way that our own righteousness and religious achievements get in the way of “knowing Christ” is that we think we know it all. After that there is no need to study the bible and work with bible lessons that keeps on informing us. I have gone through a spell that this happened but I quickly learned that I had better stick with learning more about Christ.

Q3. (Philippians 3:8-9)

Q. How can pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements actually get in the way of "knowing Christ"?

A. Once we feel that we know it all, there wont be any room for desiring to thirst for knowing Him more. And we can never know Him fully on this side of the world until we see Him face to face at the other side- Heaven.

Q. Has this ever happened to you or someone you know?

A. As for me, I feel inadequate and never there yet. I thus desire to know Christ more and more, moment by moment.

It can cause us to think that we know everything and we don't need Christ and we don't need prayer and we are already there. I have seen it in someone that is a Catholic that says she is saved and doesn't need to be saved or prayer. She believe her works will get there. However her character shows a big problem that will make it impossible for her to get there that way. 

How can pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements actually get in the way of "knowing Christ"? 

God’s will for us is to become more and more like Christ (1 Thess 4:3), but when we allow sinful thoughts and emotions to govern us, we fall short of His plan. Our actions are a reflection of our inner thoughts, and self-centred pride is the root of almost every other sin; we read in Prov 16:18: “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall”. Pride gets in the way of knowing Christ in that it tells us we are better than we really are, and we start to think we don’t need God. We begin to claim glory for ourselves. This has happened to me when I have claimed success due to my cleverness or superiority over others – result I’ve bumped my head, and things started to go wrong. Instead of giving God the glory and credit; at the same time being most thankful for His grace and mercy. I know it’s not wrong to take pride in a job well done or in an accomplishment, as long as we acknowledge that God gave us the abilities and He alone deserves the credit. The Bible says, “For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you” (Romans 12:3). Self-centred pride is a sin, and we must confront it honestly and humbly seeking God’s forgiveness and help. It is only when we understand how great God is that our boasting and pride will begin to fade. 

Q3. (Philippians 3:8-9) How can pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements actually get in the way of "knowing Christ”? Self righteousness and religious pride will definitely get in the way of knowing Christ deeper for who He really is. We begin to believe in the goodness of ourselves and in the goodness of our performance for God and showing off to people that we are special and doing something special, but the truth of the matter is that we are not ready to throw away everything that once thought so important for the sake of Christ. Until then we will not be able to know Christ closer and deeper.

Has this ever happened to you or someone you know? Most definitely it has happen to me even after being born again. There were times I wanted to bring what I found in the Lord to my family members and when it was not well received, I was judgmental towards them. The Lord has corrected me, shown me this and made me realize that even the so called credentials that I think I have being born again compared to Jesus is nothing. I need to lay down completely everything within me just for Him and Him alone. I have learned it the hard way and am still learning and am in a season that I am able to declare the pain and humiliation and the breaking of my heart is all worth it. I have decided to follow Jesus no turning back, I’m depending only on His grace and mercy. Amen.

1. How can pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements actually get in the way of "knowing Christ"?

Because it makes us forget where our righteousness really comes from. It causes people to walk around in their “religious uniforms” and pass by those in need. There is no such thing as “tit for tat” or doing favors for God. When you are doing anything, it should be done as though doing it for God under the veil of humility, that is, your right hand should be blind to your left and visa versa. Jesus said “…inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matthew 25:40) If you are doing something for the sake of recognition you can have your good feeling about it but in the end, it will go up in smoke.
2. Has this ever happened to you or someone you know?
If I said it never happened to me, I would be lying. The spirit of zealousness shows no favoritism. I can’t help but think that this (undesirable) quality of finding it in others is like a contagious disease that blocks any self-detection of the symptoms in one’s self. I thank you for this question for helping me to see something.

How can pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements actually get in the way of knowing Christ

When we get puffed up in pride and righteousness indignation we set ourselves up for failure for we begin to think it is about us and our achievements and forget that it is all about Jesus Christ.  We tend to forget that our righteousness is but as filthy rags in the sight of God and that pride cometh before a fall.  It is not because of anything we have accomplished that we are who we are but because of His grace and mercy.  If it had not been for the saving grace of Jesus Christ we would still be in our same sinful state.  And it is the Holy Spirit that is keeping us for we are not able.  We must remember to humble ourselves before God that He might do a work in and through us.

Yes, it has happened to me.  I had to remind myself that I could do nothing without God and without Him I am nothing; but, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

After Paul considered everything he had accomplished in his life, he said that it was all “worthless” when compared with the greatness of knowing Christ. This is a profound statement about values: A person’s relationship with Christ is more important than anything else. To know Christ should be our ultimate goal. Consider your values. Do we place anything above our relationship with Christ? If our priorities are wrong, how will we reorder them?

No amount of law keeping, self-improvement, discipline, or religious effort can make us right with God. Righteousness comes only from God. We are made righteous (receive right standing with him) by trusting in Christ. He exchanges our sin and shortcomings for his complete righteousness. 

Paul gave up everything—family, friendship, and freedom—in order to know Christ and his resurrection power. We, too, have access to this knowledge and this power, but we may have to make sacrifices to enjoy it fully, are we willing to give up in order to know Christ? We need to set aside a few minutes each day for prayer and Bible study. Whatever it is, knowing Christ is more than worth the sacrifice.

Pride in one's own righteousness and religious achievements makes one blind to see things in the perspective of God.  He is self justified and does not believe he needs to hear from Jesus.  They believe their salvation is dependent on their works and not by knowing Christ and receiving Him.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements actually get in the way of knowing Christ because we have totally become prideful and are not letting Christ fulfill his will through us. In fact could we actually say that we are true Christians if we do not humble ourselves and let the Lord lead? For sure we are not acting in faith for what the Lord has done for us.

This has happened to me on several occasion when I get over confident in what I am doing for the Lord. I get in the way of my own self, however the Lord finds ways to bring me back into humility. Only by repentance and asking for forgiveness can I find my way back to the Lord. I have known of several others who thought that their way was the correct way to handle their stewardship in the church congregation only to find that they were wrong and refusing to admit their mistake and repent they left for another congregation.   

On 8/28/2019 at 2:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. Because pride blocks the flow of God in our lives. We cannot know Christ when we are walking in the flesh.  Righteousness cannot come by keeping the law and doing good works, but by faith in what Christ has done for us.  Our faith has to be in Him, not in ourselves.  I  am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abides  in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. John 15:5  Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ. Phil. 3:8

b. Yes, that comes by depending on yourself,  instead of trusting in the Lord. When I was first saved, I was quickened to believe God for everything, everything was a "God"incidence, not a coincidence.  Then later on, you might get cold and fall into religion and your relationship is not there, you then depend on yourself and nothing happens.  Its like falling from Grace, when you trust yourself.  As we believe God, trust Him and spend time with Him, He reveals Himself and we can know Him more and more.

Pride can cause us to lose the close intimacy with Jesus we had before. it can cause us to rely on our own strengths or abilities. It can cause us to become too puffed up like the Pharisees were. It can cause us to look down our noses on others who struggle and are are not as far along as we are in our walk. It can cause anger, bitterness and ultimately divisions in churches. It can totally stop the work of God.

Not to me as much to someone I knew a few years ago. Someone who is from the Pentecostal church and instead of focusing on the major things she focused on appearances. We were going to the church and her attitude drove us out.

How can pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements actually get in the way of "knowing Christ"? Has this ever happened to you or someone you know?

Pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements can get in the way of humbling ourselves so we can trust Christ for righteousness.  Yes it has happen to me.  Sometimes when you achieve success in your personal life, you forget how you were able to do it.  I began to think I was doing it on my own merits and totally left Christ out.  

• 5 weeks later...

It is only as we acknowledge our utter dependence on God that we can achieve any measure of righteousness.  Our human efforts, in which we take such pride, are as nothing.  If we are caught up in our own "achievements"  we gradually grow away from knowing God and depending on Him completely.   It is very easy to confuse intellectual knowledge with the intimate knowledge that comes with a personal relationship.

• 2 years later...

Philippians 3:8-9) How can pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements actually get in the way of "knowing Christ"?

If pride rears it's ugly head, that means we are putting an achievement in Christ's place and that is a no-no. Without Christ, all our works are as filthy rags. 

I can do all things through and with Christ. Righteousness is mine through Christ and not because of something I do or achieve. Only as the "I" is laid aside and Christ is on the throne of my heart can I know Christ in my heart and life. 

• 1 year later...

How can pride in our own righteousness and religious achievements actually get in the way of "knowing Christ"? Has this ever happened to you or someone you know?

It's interesting how the question is worded. It's not pride in our worldly achievements, but in our righteousness and religious achievement that is being put under a lens. Bracketing the word "religious" which has taken on a strange negativity in recent years, and replacing it with "spiritual" which still has positive connotations, the question we're asked is whether we can feel proud of our growth as Christians -- our spiritual growth -- as well as proud of what we accomplish for Him on this earth.  Looking at it this way, yes, I think there's a holy space for pride, for looking back and saying to ourselves, "I'm not what I was ... He has changed me," and "by His grace I was able to _____."  Must we always focus on our failures and shortcomings or is it more edifying to others to openly be amazed AND PROUD that God used us like he used, say, George Mueller?

I suppose if a person was credited with building a great Christian empire, a new denomination, a series of evangelistic crusades or healing ministries, or an achievement that put a human face and name on the ministry, such as Billy Graham's crusades, then pride in religious achievements COULD be a problem. Some do fall, after all. Ego does rear it's ugly head. But most Christians, including Graham, live a long life without becoming overtly and excessively proud or big-headed because of their acclaim and personal popularity.

It's possible for Christians to achieve great things in the public eye without falling into pride and sin. Perhaps probable. Failure is NOT inevitable. We tend to glom onto the salacious stories of the day, the latest pastor caught in bed with a "dead girl or live boy," to quote the late Edwin Edwards. Thankfully, God always uses broken and leaking vessels. that's all He has to choose from! If He didn't choose from prideful humans, none of us would be chosen for the obvious reason that there are no perfected men and women on earth. And yet ... and yet ... most great Chrsitians who are cracked at birth stay intact ... most leaks never become springs. God protects his anointed. 

I think of Saul and David who both sinned greatly and all the kings of Judah and Israel who did evil in the sight of God. And yet, from them, an occasional good king came forth. Finally, Jesus Himself was born from that fallen bloodline.

--

Perhaps all of us on this site should pray that God uses us in much greater ways. Pray to be instrumental. To have a big life in Him and never settle for the safe and secure, but to risk failure, pride and all the sins that "get in the way of knowing Christ." Perhaps we are supposed to press toward and beyond the limits of our ability as well as the dark limits of our character? Perhaps we're to risk failure and becoming prideful in order to gain whatever we're to do?

Most of us will NOT fall in big, public manner, but will succeed if we put our faith in Him and keep pressing. Perhaps our fear of falling short is keeping Him from using us in bigger ways? We are "to fight the good fight fight the good fight, HOLDING ONTO FAITH AND A GOOD CONSCIENCE." We are not to hold onto faith and a good conscience by avoiding fights.