JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

1. Prepare

1. Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner?

God chose someone like John because He knew him before birth, his mother’s Elizabeth, said that John leap in her womb at the voice of Mary’s greeting Luke 1: 41-44. Isaiah 40:3-5 foretells what is fulfilled in Luke 3:1-6

2. How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose?

Our Differences can be used because God made us to be different in order that his plan and purpose be carried out. For example: Rick Warren said in his book the Purpose-Driven Life. There are the talkers that love to talk; they are important for communication; Feelers are those that feel things, they are important for compassion, another is the Thinkers, thinkers are analytical who think things through and Reflection is so important in life and the Doers, they get things done, therefore, we need people with various gifts to accomplish Gods plan and purpose.

Can't some be patterns of sinful reactions to past events? Yes, for example, individual past additions did sinful acts to support their habits; now clean and helping others to get clean.

3. John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training ground for your preparation? 

I was raised in a pastor’s home; a family of 10, seven girls three boys in a four room house. Often I was allow to travel with my father  to churches miles from our home, not knowing that one day this would be my life. The Methodist would send him to help the congregation build their church, after the church was built, he was sent to another , he did this is ten times. I enjoyed following my father in his ministry. I met and married a deacon who later was called to be a preacher and from that a pastor. He pastor for 40 years, I feel I was prepared and trained from childhood.

1.    Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner?          I believe that God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner so that the meekest and most humble among us can come to Him and feel that he/she fits in.

2.     How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose? Can't some be patterns of sinful reactions to past            events?       We can be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose because of His Word to us in Jeremiah 1, Psalms 139, and  Jeremiah 29.   God knew us and formed thoughts concerning us before our conception.  God made each of us unique.  God set us aside and appointed us  before birth. 

The Lord gave me this message:   "I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations.” (Jer. 1:4-5, NLT)

“You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.  How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered!  I can't even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand! And when I wake up, you are still with me!” (Ps. 139:15-18, NLT)

“For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11, NLT)

No patterns of sinful reactions to past events can be attributed to God.

And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, “God is tempting me.” God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else.”  (James 1:13)

3.       John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training ground for your preparation?   When I use the word circumstances, I seldom use it to mean causing an outcome beyond the normal.  In answering this question, I can say the God used the ministries of the church and my studies in Bible College as training ground for my preparation.

4.       How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you? How can you change this without becoming callous?    I am dependent upon what others think and say about me, even though I would not want to dwell on it. I can change this without becoming callous by meditating on God’s words, His thoughts that He thinks towards me are thoughts for me to prosper, to be successful.  Thank You Jesus!

5.       What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? How can guilt be healthy? How can guilt be unhealthy?    To a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins, I would read with them the scripture verses that tell us how confession and repentance of past sins brings us in right standing with God and that he/she should not feel any guilt over what was done prior and forgiven by our Lord.  Guilt can be healthy if it promotes a learning of what not to do and the consequences. To continue in remembering and feeling guilty is unhealthy and stagnates any progress of growth in our walk with Jesus Christ.

6.       Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus?     Humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) was necessary to form disciples of Jesus, (It still is required today); this is the action of the Believer crucifying the flesh to be sanctified and walk in the Spirit.

7.       What kind of cutting, filling, straightening, and smoothing work has God been doing in your life? What does he still need to do? Why is this necessary preparation for disciples?     The revealed work of God through His word is truly doing in me what it proclaims: “For the word of God is living and active and full of power [making it operative, energizing, and effective]. It is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating as far as the division of the soul and spirit [the completeness of a person], and of both joints and marrow [the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and judging the very thoughts and intentions of the heart.” I pray for God’s continued drawing me unto Him and revealing to me His thoughts for my success as His disciple.

1. God didn't "choose someone like John" but made John.  So the question is "why did God make John -- his herald for Jesus -- a wild and crazy guy?" 

So John would stand out and be heard;    So he would be fulfillment of prophecy;   so that he would withstand years of preparation: lonely preparation during which he had only God as companion.

2. Do we treasure our eccentricities as God's gift, making us uniquely suited to do some specific work?  Or try to fix these personality differences and awkwardnesses?  How do we know which is which?  Treasure? or Blemish?  Surely not everything wrong with me is a gift -- some are just wrong. 

You know through prayer; by seeking how to use it;  by trying to use it and discovering in experience whether it is a treasure or dross.  You have to be optimistic and try!  You have to be realistic about letting go.

people may say, of some apparent flaw "that's just who I am, how I'm made" -- well if this thing is hurtful to others (perhaps a short temper, or always being late...) then you need to really think maybe this is a challenge to overcome; or search for how it can be used for God's purpose.

3. My preparation? My training ground? Not a desert.  Well: maybe a desert in terms of spiritual training and sustenance as I grew up in a secular academic family.  And thus prepared I understand that territory in ways someone raised in a solid Christian home cannot.  I must consider, then, that this may be my mission field:  people of at-least-middle-class affluence in both money and education who think that "Jesus" is an embarrassing word and God is for fools.

4. Well this is pretty convicting:  I am greatly dependent on what others think of me.  I like to be liked -- well, I hate to be despised.  I refrain from speaking out for Jesus anticipating silent ridicule and labeling, anticipating being classed as a nitwit.

I think of a friend's quote "if you have to choose between being kind and being right, choose kindness" which I thought most excellent when she said it, but now am thinking: that can't always be the way. But it is the easy way.

5. Guilt precedes repentance -- it is a wakeup call for action, and that action is both seeking forgiveness (and being confident of it) and making changes in life so that a sin like this won't happen again.  That  sin -- the one that caused the guilt -- is done and forgiven.  That  guilt has done its job; let it go.  But thank God for the guilt response which caused you to seek and receive forgiveness and move forward in the change of repentance.

6. Jesus's disciples must be humble to know -- in mind, body and soul -- that he is Lord over them.  The humility is before the Lord our God.  it is only a side-effect that humility places you in a different relation to other people.  The disciple relationship is between the Lord and you, and you must be broken and abased for it to take place.  This is not an equal relationship: there is the Master and the disciple.

7. Straightening of me -- as a "path" -- so that Jesus can walk with (in?) mew is a very mixed metaphor.  Mixed up metaphor.  The part that is sensible to me today is that I can view the obstructions in me (boulders, twists and turns, pot holes) as obstacles that slow down Jesus' work in making me fully his disciple.  The question "why is this necessary preparation for disciples" I reject.  it is not "preparation" but an ongoing process.  It is mingled -- this work with the advancement of the relation and transformation.  What are my "bounders" etc? I'm thinking: laziness, lack of hunger, acceptance of mediocrity. 

Thought brought up by all this, as I head into this year or two with this material:

I can't say what my life will consist of if I become a "better disciple" -- I can't say what the days, or even feelings, will be.  That isn't the goal: to have a "better life".  The goal is to have His life.  It is a mystery what that will look like -- I don't care what I will be doing; I care who I do it for !

Q1. Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner?

God chose John for a special assignment. From his birth, John was set apart for the assignment of "the voice calling from the wilderness" for people to prepare the way for our Lord Jesus Christ. From his conception, filled with the Spirit of God in his mother's womb, set apart as a Nazarite and bred in the desert. John's assignment was both  divine and radical, and could not be corrupted by human ideology or compromised by human norms.

Q2. How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose? Can't some be patterns of sinful reactions to past events? 

God has made each one of us unique and has destined each one of us for an assignment. We believe in the word of God which tells us He has given each one of us giftings that we may glorify His name. Some differences can be patterns of sinful reactions to past events but if we examine our personal differences through the lenses of the Word of God and with the help of the Holy Spirit, we can be able to identify sinful reactions and surrender them to Jesus. Submitting ourselves fully to the Lord enables us to walk in the light, worthy of the calling we have received, bearing the fruit of the Spirit.

Q3. John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training ground for your preparation?

I have grown through difficult circumstances and experienced persecution in different levels. Through these challenges, I have learned to trust in the Lord. His unending grace and mercies have embraced me. Because of this, I can empathize with those who are going through similar challenges. If we fully surrender to Christ, the Lord refines us continually for His purposes. We are called forth to show His excellence in every situation we find ourselves in.

Q4. How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you? How can you change this without becoming callous?

I find that sometimes I worry about what others think about me especially when I have to do something that I know is the right thing to do, but a majority do not agree with. Otherwise, as long as I have a clear conscience, I do not worry. I can change this by being humble, and where circumstances allow, lovingly explaining my point of view to the others without judgement.

Q5. What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? How can guilt be healthy? How can guilt be unhealthy?

We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. But we have been justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ. He that the Son sets free is free indeed! If we repent of our sins and surrender to Jesus, the Lord blots out our transgression and we are redeemed. Some things we did in the past can be constant reminders and envelop us with guilt. However, if we believe the Word of God and in the forgiveness of sin, we are set free. Guilt can be healthy when it helps us avoid situations that will put us into temptation. Guilt can be unhealthy if it paralyses us and causes us to dwell in the past and avoid availing ourselves to server our Lord and savior.  

Q6. Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus?

Humbling allows us to submit to the power of Christ. By humbling ourselves, we surrender our pride and prejudices and die to the flesh, so that we can be alive in Christ. By humbling ourselves we acknowledge that we are surrendering ourselves to the power and authority of Jesus. We are in essence, agreeing to walk in obedience to our master - the Lord Jesus Christ.

Q7. What kind of cutting, filling, straightening, and smoothing work has God been doing in your life? What does he still need to do? Why is this necessary preparation for disciples?

This is a deep question. God has been teaching me the depth of "trusting in the Lord with all my heart, and leaning not on my own understanding. Submitting to Him in all my ways, so He can make my paths straight". This has been an amazing journey as I am becoming more sensitive to obvious things I have leaned on my understanding rather than seeking the Lord regarding them. Trusting the Lord and leaning not on my own understanding is necessary preparation for disciples as it enables the disciple to fully depend on the Lord. It's AMAZING!

• Having lived in the wilderness, John had not acquired worldly influence and therefore did not concern himself with what people though of him.  This made him the best candidate for the work the Lord wanted him to do. 

2. How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose? Can't some be patterns of sinful reactions to past events? (Let's resist the temptation to get too deep into the mystery of predestination. Grin.)

• By asking God to reveal what is in our hearts, we would be able to know if some differences are a sign of past wound or not. 

3. John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training ground for your preparation?

• He placed in me a situation where I learned of sheep in wolves clothing.  On the second occasion, He moved away from everything I know and I got see and experience God in a new way and learn to trust Him.

4. How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you? How can you change this without becoming callous?

• I am a work in progress on this one.  At times I am able to shrug it off and at other times I don't. I need healing in those areas where I still care about what what people think because they stem from my woundedness.  

5. What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? How can guilt be healthy? How can guilt be unhealthy?

• I have not found a way yet.

6. Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus?

• A humble person does not judge.  Repentance is possible when a person feels loved and understand as opposed to feeling judged and condemned.  Self condemnation is one of the reason people find it hard to accept the forgiveness of sins

7. What kind of cutting, filling, straightening, and smoothing work has God been doing in your life? What does he still need to do? Why is this necessary preparation for disciples?

• God is working on a lot of areas in my life, including brokenness, impatience, deep hurt, betrayal and others I cannot think of at the moment

On 1/18/2021 at 8:25 AM, Isaac L said:

Thanks for your candid sharing. Wow, that's a lot you had gone through! 

Your welcome. "ALL THINGS" work together. Father has graciously brought me through the storms of life, and placed my feet on solid ground, He is awesome. My life is in His hands, to do His will. ????

• 3 months later...

Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner? I believe one of the main reasons that the Lord probably chose John for our Lord's forerunner was because of the fact his own father faithfully served the Lord for years even when he his wife was barren and still did not give birth to a child. Even it he was obedient to the daily w/o fail. This told the Lord that anyone from that family would surely obey Him. This meant that God's will would be first in that person's life and following Him would be all that matters. 

How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose? For me recently I have learned that the only way to whether or not they are part o His plan and purpose is through consistent and constant contact with my Lord through both prayer and time in His word where I listen to what He is saying to me. Sometimes I get impatient and want the Lord answer me right away and not to wait  for an answer from Him. Since He requires me to be patient with Him.

John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training for your preparation? For me the Lord had used a variety of experiences to change and train me for my ministry that He lovingly have to me so I could bring people to Him. One of the biggest experiences He has used in my life is the past I thought I could not redeem or even be able to use for the glory of the Lord.However He  showed me that even my past is completely redeemable

How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you? How can you change this without becoming callous? For me I have realized that the only person who really should matter when it comes to my self esteem and self worth is the Lord because He's the one who created me to begin with. By telling them politely I am not interested in their opinions.

What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? How can guilt be healthy? How can guilt be unhealthy? I would first start off by saying that they are forgiven for those sins by the very blood of Jesus Christ. But also that there is no longer any condemnation in Christ Jesus for anyone who has believed in Him. For Christ Himself is out intercession on high before the throne of God above.

Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus? What kind of cutting, filling, straightening, and smoothing work has God been doing in your life? What does he still need to do? Why is this necessary preparation for disciples? Humbling is necessary order to keep the disciples eyes on their Master and Lord. For one day He would no longer be with them. He has been taken away my ability to write for a season to wake me up and cause me to realize that I was killing myself. He took away my desire for certain foods in order for me to lean more on Him. Teach me how about self.control in some areas.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

1. John was Conceived by The Holy Spirit.  His father and mother were from tribes of Priests.  He was set aside by The LORD, fulfillment of Bible Prophecy.

2. If I believe that The LORD is omnipresent and omnicient then I believe that The LORD has foreknowledge of my life regardless of my choices.

3. The LORD has given me a character and spirit of non-compliance which questions EVERYTHING and trusts no one, except The Word of The LORD.  John provides an example of that character type.

4. I am not dependent on anyone.

5. The LORD Forgives ALL sin.  The LORD Jesus Christ died a death by crucifixion to Forgive ALL sin.  ALL are forgiven.  

6. The Word says that Repentance is required to be born again.

7. The LORD has Forgiven me of my sin.  I have Repented. I Believe. I claim The Promise of Rest, Peace, and Eternal Life.  I am Born Again.

• 1 year later...

1.Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner? God chose John

because he was humbler, and he was different than anyone else. He was one who God knew

would not bend to man's opinion or rules. He would not be easily swayed from what he was

supposed to do. Because he had spent years in the wilderness alone listening to God. He was a

man, who would be loyal and obedient regardless of the consequence

2. How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose? Can't some be patterns of sinful reactions to past events? (Let's resist the temptation to get too deep into the mystery of predestination. Grin.)

God created us exactly the way we are in order to use us for His specific purpose. God decided before we were born what plans we were to fulfill, and He knew what would be needed. There are no mistakes with God. Everyone one of us is unique and no one is the same. Each of us in the body has talents and gifts that were given to us to use in the kingdom. Each one of us have different temperaments and personalities that fit different tasks He wants us to do. These are different than reactions we may have to things that happened to us before. Though He uses our experiences to mold us us to His image as well. If we surrender and put it in His hands, he can do wonders with us.

3. John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training for your preparation? God has used various experiences in my life to mold me in someone He can use. I have had job losses, death and separations. As well as bad treatment from others to show me how to be more compassionate to others. I had summers where i volunteered to cook for kids and others at camp. This taught me how to serve others.

4. How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you? How can you change this without becoming callous? I have to say that sometimes I care too much about what others think and say about me. I tend to compare myself to others when all I should be doing is caring what God thinks. I know I can surrender my feelings over to God and choose to listen but not take it to heart. That I am not here to please them.

Edited by Lottie
I want all the questions on the same page.

• 8 months later...
  1. Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner? I believe, God chose John to be the forerunner for Jesus because John had a very consecrated, set apart and intimate relationship with God. John was able to hear the word of God (or God’s voice so clearly), that God totally trusted him to do His Will and to obey God’s Way of doing things. John was not like others, John had totally forsaken the things of the world in his day and lived a recluse life in the desert and was willing to trust God to be his everything. 
  2. How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose? The only way we can be sure that all our personal differences are part of God’s plan and purpose is to daily die to our self life by surrendering, submitting and yielding our way for God’s way, our will for God’s Will, our thoughts for God’s Thoughts and our understanding for God’s Understanding. Yes some of our personal differences can be patterns of our sinful reactions to past events that’s why we must daily ask God to search our hearts, and to forgive us of sins of commission and omission and to ask God to renew a right spirit within us and to put on the mind of Christ and the whole armor of God and praying without ceasing. If we do these things and read & meditate on the word - we will be equipped, empowered and enabled to resist temptations.
  3. John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training ground for your preparation? The circumstances that God used as a training ground for my preparation was being poor, living in poverty and being a part of a despised and hated group of people - just because of the color of my skin. Living and growing up on these types of training grounds has alienated me from the world and set me apart like John. 
  4. How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you? How can you change this without becoming callous? I am not dependent upon what others think and say about me. I’ve learned that Everybody has an opinion. If I became influenced by opinions of what others think and say - I would be a doubled minded man and unstable in all my ways. I would be like the chaff that is blown here and there. I’ve learned how to listen and respect other peoples opinion but I have learned to respectfully disagree with others and try not to be cold hearted, hard and insensitive in doing so. Over the years, I’ve learned to hear the voice of God;  and learned to be solely dependent on what my Heavenly Father thinks & says in His word. His words are Truth, Wisdom and Life for me. 
  5. What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? How can guilt be healthy? How can guilt be unhealthy? I would tell the person who is suffering from chronic guilt over past sins to take everyone of those sins (by name) to the Lord in prayer with Godly sorrow and tears. Truly repenting and asking God to forgive them of their past sins. The Holy Spirit may even lead the guilty person to go to the person they wronged to reconcile (i.e. if they stole from someone, repay the person) to make them whole if possible. Guilt can be a healthy internal spiritual monitor system - convicting a person of wrongs (the Holy Spirit convicts us of wrongs). Guilt can be unhealthy when a person ignores it as not being wrong. Guilt is also unhealthy when a person can’t accept the grace, mercy and forgiveness of God.
  6. Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus? Repentance and Baptism are God’s prescribed path for reconciliation and for being in right standing with God. In order to be formed into a disciple of Jesus, the individual must be willing to follow and obey the required guidance that God prescribes. Humbling (in the form of repentance and baptism in John’s day) was necessary in becoming disciples of Jesus; because John was the forerunner of Jesus. He laid the groundwork and paved the highway or path for those who would become disciples of Jesus.
  7. What kind of cutting, filling, straightening, and smoothing work has God been doing in your life? What does he still need to do? Why is this necessary preparation for disciples? God has been preparing the way for the Lord in my life by straightening paths that were crooked in my life, by filling in the valleys and potholes in my life. He has humbled every mountain or high thing that I had elevated above God and has brought them under the obedience of Jesus. He has made the the rough and rocky things in my life that I was stumbling blocks smooth. This work is continuous and ongoing and the Lord is the Author and Finisher of my Faith. This work is necessary preparation for any disciple of Jesus - because without it we can not be transformed or created into the image and likeness of Jesus the Christ. 

• 6 months later...

He was called of God to preach a message of repentance. John’s message of moral reform, symbolized by baptism, was God’s way of preparing Israel for the coming of the Mightier One—the Lord Jesus Christ.  He would be great in the eyes of the Lord. he wouldn’t drink wine or liquor; and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit,
He was chosen by God before he was born

God chose John because he was a man that would declare  God's message plain and straight forward
        God’s plan and purpose for our lives are guided by a divine plan or purpose. Our differences wheterphysical, emotional or intelectual are woven Into our existence. These differences serve a greater purpose, contributing to the richness and diversity of human experience. They allow us to learn, grow and fulfill our roles in the grand design.It’s true that some of our differences may arise from past experiences, including sinful reactions. These could be patterns of behavior learned over time.
However, even these patterns can be part of God’s plan. They provide opportunities for growth, redemption, and transformation.
For instance, someone who has struggled with anger might learn compassion through their experiences. Their journey toward healing becomes part of their purpose.

Our lives are God’s training ground. Through trials, tribulations, and fervent prayer, we learn to overcome and persevere. As we study God’s Word, we discover His guidance, shaping us into vessels fit for His purposes.
In the desert’s heat, God molds us, fortifies our faith, and equips us for the ministries ahead. Let us embrace these training grounds, glorifying Him wherever He plants us, reflecting the attributes of Christ to the world

4. How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you? How can you change this without becoming callous?
        What others’ opinion  can significantly impact our will-being and self esteem. Develop self awareness by reflecting on your values, strengths and beliefs. Trust your own judgement. Share you feelings with a friend about how you feel when someone says something to you and it affects you. Remind yourself that you can’t please everyone, and that’s okay. Focus on being true to yourself rather than seeking universal approval. Treat yourself kindly when you encounter negative opinions. Acknowledge that everyone makes mistakes and has imperfections.
Cultivate self-compassion by speaking to yourself as you would to a friend in a similar situation.
Remember that you have the power to shape your self-image and reduce dependency on external validation. It’s a gradual process, but with practice, you can find a balance between considering others’ opinions and maintaining your authenticity. 

5. What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? How can guilt be healthy? How can guilt be unhealthy?
 Seek solace in confession, whether to a trusted friend, a spiritual guide, or even in silent prayer. Acknowledge your humanity, for we all stumble on this journey. Guilt can corrodes self-esteem, sabotages relationships, and harms our well-being.
Guilt can be a teacher. Remember, guilt dances on the tightrope between healing and harm. Listen to its melody, but don’t let it drown you.