JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

1. Prepare

• 2 months later...
  1. Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner?  God chose John because he was a man that would declare  God's message plain ans straight forward.
  2. How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose? By asking God to use us the way we are for His  service alone. Can't some be patterns of sinful reactions to past events? (Let's resist the temptation to get too deep into the mystery of predestination. Grin.)
  3. John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training ground for your preparation? He was isolated and did not get too intimate with people. This enabled him to be blunt in proclaiming  Gods word with fear of offending those he would have developed some familiarity with.
  4. How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you?  To a certain extend I sometimes consider  how some may view my action to determine what I do/ say to avoid offending them. How can you change this without becoming callous? By prayers that Lord will guide me aright.
  5. What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? To confess and forget it by the leadership of the Holy Spirit because when God forgives, He forgets it and we too should forget. How can guilt be healthy?  When it leads us to repentance. How can guilt be unhealthy?  when it makes us withdrawn from God.
  6. Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus? 
  7. What kind of cutting, filling, straightening, and smoothing work has God been doing in your life?  God has transformed me to like His word, to submit to His will and spend time in His service. What does he still need to do? Work on my temper and  anxiety Why is this necessary preparation for disciples? This will make me more like Jesus that I am learning 

• 4 weeks later...

This was real life material for me. I often worry about my inability to conform to the society norms of a diplomatic approach to things. I am impatient when people, especially leaders in my church, try to smooth over unchristian behaviour with nice words, or even when they keep silent. I find that I have blurted out my impatience, and then hold my breath and think Oh my God!! I should not have said that. But I also now realise that many times I say things out of pride. May the good Lord continue to smooth over my very rough edges so that He can use me for His Glory 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 9:02 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Please share your thoughts on one or more of the questions in this lesson. 

1. Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner?

John lived in an era where he had to defy the tides of political and religious bureaucracy to be true to his herald message. His proclamation of a coming Redeemer did not sit in well with the Roman government who was quick to quench new revolts from self-appointed redeemers. His call to repentance and baptism did not sit in well with the self-righteous Pharisees, Sadducees and scribes. If John were a bit more cowardly, he would have compromised his message.

1. How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose? Can't some be patterns of sinful reactions to past events? (Let's resist the temptation to get too deep into the mystery of predestination. Grin.)

I can't be sure if ALL our differences are part of God's plan. There are certain unique features of what we are, which modern psychology calls personality (e.g. extrovert, introvert, sensing, intuitive, etc.), which I believe is how God made each of us. We can celebrate that, instead try to imitate some Christian hero and defy who we truly are. As we see in John's case, God can use even quirks in our personality. It just means that we are different, not necessarily that we are wrong and sinful.

Undeniably, there are also parts of us which are patterns of sinful reactions to past events and people. I guess it takes Spirit-led intuition and techniques/experience (like cognitive behavioral therapy) to uncover and rectify those.

In short, we are fallen creatures but made in the image of God. There are aspects of us which we can celebrate, and aspects which we should repent of and rectify.

1. John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training ground for your preparation?

In contrast I was raised in a sheltered environment. In my childhood I was quite isolated from friends. This has made me quite learned, and I bring this aspect into my study, analysis and teaching. My earlier isolation had turned me inward to be more reflective and sensitive to feelings. I am not unfriendly, just introspective. In later life it has helped me to counsel with sensitivity. Hence I can celebrate my different background as a training ground.

1. How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you? How can you change this without becoming callous?

Being sensitive, I'm quite dependent on what people think of me too. I'd changed slightly and slowly through knowing my identity in me, thanks to Neil Anderson and Ellel training. I think the root of callousness is pride and selfishness, so if we can guard our hearts against those two, our seeking for identity and confidence need not have to spiral down to callousness.

1. What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? How can guilt be healthy? How can guilt be unhealthy?

Such a person has not known the blessed assurance of 1 John 1:9 and that Jesus' death is a sufficient sacrifice once for all. Guilt can be healthy if it spurs us to listen to our conscience and to put things right with God, i.e. it must lead to repentance and restoration. Guilt can be deadly if it leads to condemnation or self-pity.

1. Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus?

A disciple submits himself to Jesus as his Master to learn from Jesus. If he is proud (he thinks he is that good, he can make it by himself, etc.), he cannot submit to Jesus' Lordship.

1. What kind of cutting, filling, straightening, and smoothing work has God been doing in your life? What does he still need to do? Why is this necessary preparation for disciples?

He has allowed failure in relationship, disruption of plans, domination of toxic leaders, etc., to force me to halt, retreat in solitude, and take a good look at what's going on in my soul. I am not sure what more He will do (!!!), but since I am not a finished work, He will definitely do more. The one who began a good work in me will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:6).

• 3 weeks later...

J

John the Baptist knew his mission in life. He clearly understood that he had been set apart by God for a purpose.

John was different to the prophets and priests of his time.  He did not conform to society norms, living in the wilderness.   He was fearless and got God’s message across, with force and authority, to the people about turning away from sin and being baptized.  I think that he was seen as being charismatic, but never losing sight of his mission, even as crowds of  people turned up to hear him and be baptized.  

Through God's direction, John the Baptist challenged the people to prepare for the coming of the Messiah by turning away from sin and being baptized as a symbol of repentance. Although he held no power or influence in the Jewish political system, he delivered his message with the force of authority. People could not resist the overpowering truth of his words, as they flocked by the hundreds to hear him and be baptized. And even as he attracted the attention of the crowds, he never lost sight of his mission—to point people to Chri

Through God's direction, John the Baptist challenged the people to prepare for the coming of the Messiah by turning away from sin and being baptized as a symbol of repentance. Although he held no power or influence in the Jewish political system, he delivered his message with the force of authority. People could not resist the overpowering truth of his words, as they flocked by the hundreds to hear him and be baptized. And even as he attracted the attention of the crowds, he never lost sight of his mission—to point people to Chri

1.       John was different to the prophets and priests of his time.  He did not conform to society norms, living in the wilderness.   He was fearless and got God’s message across, with force and authority, to the people about turning away from sin and being baptized.  I think that he was seen as being charismatic, but never losing sight of his mission, even as crowds of  people turned up to hear him and be baptized.

1. Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus?  
    As I think about this, I realize how much I do to put on a front of perfection or a picture of superiority.  People will form their opinion of me based on their experience of me...not based on how I want them to think.  I pray to grow in genuine love and care for others.            Humbling,repenting, turning from sin...all these are forming me to be Christ’s disciple, submitted to him—trusting Him to be the strength I lack.  

Question 7 - God, just this morning, showed me I need to crucify "my opinions". No one wants to hear what I think on the subject, nor can I help anyone. God, on the otherhand, is very helpful. He showed me I need to die so He can live thru me. When I got to the end of the first lesson today and read the summarization, I had to laugh. I see God isn't wasting any time!!! Gotta love Him. Praise Jesus forevermore!

Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner?

Father chose him for this work, before He formed him in his mothers womb. Elizabeth got pregnant, after being baron for so many years. He was a part of Fathers plan.

How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose?

Because He told us so (Jeremiah 29:11) "for I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord...

We are fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14)

Father formed us in our mothers womb, He knew us before we were born, and He appointed us to do His will. (Jeremiah 1:5)

(Psalm 139:16), all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Can't some be patterns of sinful reactions to past events?

We are who we are, who Father made us to be. Our circumstances helped to form our character.

(Let's resist the temptation to get too deep into the mystery of predestination. Grin.)

John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training ground for your preparation?

Being saved from depression and suicide - Faith in Father that He is able, that nothing is impossible for Him. He is mighty to save.

I am a mother of 5, grand mother to 9, spiritual mother to 2, Thank you Lord, I am blessed - looking out for the needs of others, putting others first. Sacrificial love.

I grew up in a household where my parents argued a lot - I refuse to argue, and lose my temper, push all the buttons you like.

Rape and abuse - Forgiveness.

Losing my house and business - letting go and moving on, not storing up and holding on to things that can be taken away.

A lot has happened since 2013, when I got saved, that has contributed to my faith and maturity in Christ Jesus, so many trials matched with equal victories.

How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you?

Not at all. I was bought at a great price, I depend on my Father, the sustainer of life.

How can you change this without becoming callous?

He has set you apart, you are blessed. Embrace and believe what the Father thinks and says about you in His Word. Spend time with Him and feel the love He has for you. You are special. 

What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins?

If they have repentented, confessed to Our Father, and have asked Him for forgiveness, he is faithful to forgive, therefore you have been forgiven. His mercies are new every morning therefore tomorrow is a new day, leave that guilt in yesterday, and walk into the gift of a new beginning a new day, saying Father Your Will be done In my life today.

How can guilt be healthy?

It can turn us away from sin, stops us from committing the same sin again.

How can guilt be unhealthy?

If we are stressed by it, or if it burdens us with sorrow.

Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus?

To step away from the old self, the old ways, to become a new, renewed, reformed, converted, changed.

The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working(James 5:16)

What kind of cutting, filling, straightening, and smoothing work has God been doing in your life?

Over the past 7 years there has been a lot of the above.

At the moment I feel that Father is taking me back to the beginning, Him and me, just basking in His presence. Sitting at Jesus' feet, while I enjoy doing these bible studies, learning more about Father, bellowing the flame.

What does he still need to do?

To continue working on me, guiding me, transforming me into who He wants me to be, for the service He has prepared me for.

Why is this necessary preparation for disciples?

Father knows what, how, who He wants me to be, so I trust He knows exactly what I need, and how to prepare me to serve Him, to bring Him honour and glory.

Love and Blessings to you all.. xx

1. Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner? 

John was not a people pleaser. He had learned to rely and trust in God, Who was his Companion, Confidant and Teacher. John's allegiance belonged to God. John was not ordinary, but in the eyes of the people, an accentric, a very out of the norm person (different/unique). An ordinary person would have bent too easily to the extreme religious and political pressures exerted on him. Someone was needed that would not compromise. John was not marred by man's influence. 

2. How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose? 

God made each person unique. Each one will react to an event/happening differently, possibly because of past experience ; but also, you are you and I am me, we are not each other. God has put us on earth for a purpose and this purpose can only be fulfilled if we allow God to use us as He has purposed us to be by molding us according to His plan. (by allowing Him full-sway in our lives). 

Sinful reactions to past events can be put aside when we die to ourselves and allow Christ to be the One to live through us.

Sinful reactions can be bitterness and this can be resolved by continually placing it at His feet, when it crops up. 

It can be evil desires/thoughts/lusts - these too can only be overcome by living close to Christ and as soon as they pop up, place them at His feet.

It can be extremely low self-esteem, which too has to be conquered, as we continue our walk with Christ. 

The best we can do is daily ask God to lead us and help us to be the person He has made us to be. (not someone else). 

1.  Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner?

John was courageous, comfortable in his calling, and prepared to stand up against the religious leaders of the time.

2.  How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose?   Can't some be patterns of sinful reactions to past events?

It is always encouraging to look at the disciples whom Jesus chose - rough fishermen, a despised tax collector, Sons of thunder, a coward who denied him three times and one who would betray Him.   Each of these was chosen with a plan and purpose in mind, and we are similarly chosen, to be moulded to God's plan.   

3.   John was raised in the desert.   What kinds of circumstances has God used as training ground for your preparation?

A loving Christian home, with parents who demonstrated, in their different ways, a commitment to the Gospel

4.   How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you?   How can you change this without becoming callous?

Probably,  as I have got older, I have become less dependent upon the opinion of others, and better able to make my own decisions.   However, it is always true that all our actions and reactions influence others, and we must be sensitive to the needs of others, even if their opinions no longer drive our actions.

5.    What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins?   How can guilt be healthy?   How can guilt be unhealthy?

Once a debt is paid, it is no longer owing.   Similarly, once one has repented of past sins, they have been forgiven by the cross of Christ, and no longer need to be a burden.   True repentance is metanoia   - turning away.   We leave our sins behind, and turn away, by God's grace, into a new path.   Guilt can be healthy if it leads to repentance, but wallowing in guilt can be unhealthy, and can block true forgiveness.

6.   Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus?

Only when we acknowledge our sinful natures, and cast ourselves wholly on the Saviour's forgiveness can we be made whole again.   We have to confess our helplessness and our need of divine assistance before we receive the grace of forgiveness.   God can only place a gift into empty hands

7.   What kind of cutting, filling, straightening and smoothing work has God been doing in your life?   What does he still need to do?  Why is this necessary preparation for disciples?

Sanctification is an ongoing process, and one in which God is moulding us day by day.   I am aware of many sins and inadequacies which still need to be ironed out before I am worthy to be called a disciple, and am empowered to be his messenger.

A. God chose John to be Jesus’ forerunner because he hadn’t been corrupted by the present culture. He was able to see what needed to be done and was willing to do it.

How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose? Can't some be patterns of sinful reactions to past events? (Let's resist the temptation to get too deep into the mystery of predestination. Grin.)

A. Our personal differences are part of his plan because it uses it for the good of the congregation. It is spiritual gifts that God has given us. Some of our sinful reaction to our past events is what has shaped us.

John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training ground for your preparation?

A. God gave me a caring mother where she helped with the Berlin air lift, would help the destitute, and care for elderly people.

How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you? How can you change this without becoming callous?

A. This is an interesting question. Sometimes I do care about what they think because I keep this in mind what I dress in the morning and other time I don’t care what they think about my actions.

What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? How can guilt be healthy? How can guilt be unhealthy?

A. All I can say is that God has forgiven them and they need to forgive themselves. Guilt can be healthy when it changes your actions and it can be unhealthy when they are thinking about it all the time.

Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus?

A. If you don’t humble yourself you will not be able to follow Jesus. You will not be willing to do what He asks of you.

What kind of cutting, filling, straightening, and smoothing work has God been doing in your life? What does he still need to do? Why is this necessary preparation for disciples?

A. God has been cutting, filling, straightening and smoothing my life ever since I was about 35 years old. I have quite cursing, telling dirty jokes and the like. He has pointed out some my errors. He is still doing that today because sometimes pride tries to take control of me.

Q1.John the Baptist was chosen by God for a particular task of laying a foundation for Jesus to build on. John was to draw people to the things of God , to tell them that the Messiah was coming and to get them to repent and turn away from sin. He baptised then with water to purify them. God prepared John by being with him as he roamed the wilderness near his home. John spent more time with God than with other people. He was a hermit and as a hermit he did not adhere to the norms of society, and he didn’t care about convention! He needed to be like this to withstand the political and religious pressures he would encounter as he carried out his ministry.

Q2.I don’t think we can be sure all our differences are part of God’s plan and purpose. I think part of our ways and personality are formed by the environment we have been brought up in and the experiences we have had in life both good and bad. However God can use us complete with faults, and quirks to carry out His purposes, if we are walking close to Him and are obedient to Him. We also need to have a willing heart and be striving to overcome anything we know that is wrong in our lives.

Q3. I have had a number of difficult situations in my life , as a result I find it easier to help others going through similar situations. 
Q4. As I become more and more steeped in the things of God, I find I care less about the opinion of others but if someone says something untrue or cutting I do feel wounded. Sometimes it can be easier than others but I think my sinful nature is always lurking in the background, so I feel hurt and sorry  for myself. There are so many beautiful verses about how God loves us as His children that there is no need to feel injured for too long! Psalm 31v7. I will be glad and rejoice in your unfailing love, for you have seen my troubles, and you care about the anguish of my soul. 
Q5. Once we have confessed our sins, and are truly sorry, and turn away from all sin we must trust God’s forgiveness. It is as though our sins are caste into the sea, never to be thought of again by God. Guilt can be healthy if it makes us turn away from sin and turn to God for forgiveness. Guilt can be unhealthy if we keep going over and over things in the past which we have asked God to forgive. This is sinful in itself because it shows we do not trust God and we do not believe in what the Scriptures tell us. Romans 5 v8 God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were yet sinners , Christ died for us. Romans 5v 18.Romans 6v6.

Q6.Humility comes when we realise how wretched and sinful we are. We then realise how we need a Saviour and how dependent we are on Him for absolutely everything in life. Both material things but also leading , guiding, protection both physically and spiritually and in so many other ways. When the ways of God become the most important part of our lives, we become fit to be a true follower of Jesus and His disciple.

Q7. There are a number of sinful ways in my life that I need to correct with God’s help. I sometimes feel I am making progress and then take a couple of steps back! God has a hard job with me, but I am a work in progress. 

3. John was raised in the desert. 

What kinds of circumstances has God used as a train g ground for your preparation? 

I had a sheltered childhood by city standards. I had the best parents a child could wish for. God-fearing, strict yet loving, intent on serving God with all their hearts. As a late teen I experienced extreme loss. From a family of 6 we were reduced to 2, lost home and life as I had been accustomed to. Then later a marriage where I learnt about physical and verbal abuse. The pain and turmoil of that time has helped me share first-hand with others, not only of that but more so of God's goodness, faithfulness and love. His promises are true. I experienced Hosea 6:1(b) "He has torn so He may heal us; He has stricken so that He may bind us up." 

4. How dependant are you upon what others think and say about you? 

How can you change this without being callous? 

I have had to " fight" being over-sensitive to others' unfeeling remarks and being left out of things and have that all be OK and not worry about it. In spite of the over-sensitivity, I have usually gone ahead and done what i knew I had to do. 

Definition of callous is heartless and unfeeling. 

I am anything but heartless and unfeeling. 

5.What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? 

Remind him that "all have sinned" Roman's 3:23

Also 1 John 1:9 "If we freely admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins (dismiss our lawlessness) and continuously cleanse us from all unrighteousness - everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought and action. "

Yes, it is easy to think what one would say - but when the time actually comes, I feel that the Lord will guide as to the words to use. If genuine repentance has taken place one can gently remind the person that God, the Almighty, has forgiven, so who are we, (you or I), that we cannot forgive ourselves. 

Guilt is the result of unforgiveness on our part. 

Repentance often comes as a result of guilt for what was done. 

When one broods on the wrong/sin committed and ends up having pity parties and cannot overcome the guilt felt for the sin. 

6. Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus? 

Getting rid of impurities i.e. being cleansed. There is no room for pride, we need to remain humble before God. Pride blocks blessings. We need to be at the place where there is nothing between us and God, so He can use us as His instruments as and how it seems good to Him. 

7. What kind of cutting, filling, straightening and smoothing work has God been doing in your life? 

What does He still need to do? 

He has allowed failure in relationships. He has allowed aloneness and loneliness in crowds, not being accepted where I thought and hoped I would fit in. He has placed me in situations or positions where I could but only lean on Him. He has opened my eyes to the fact that you cannot (not even slightly) lean on man. Your whole weight needs to be on Him and Him alone. He has proved never to have failed me even in my darkest hour - He has been there. Many curves and kinks have been straightened or (ironed out) there is much work still to be done, but God is in the CONSTRUCTION BUSINESS and He is still working  on me. This work g is necessary so that as a disciple I am ready to go wherever, however and whenever with NOTHING BETWEEN us. 

I am reminded of the song 

He's still working  on me, to make me what I ought to be, it took Him just a wk to make the moon and stars, the sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars. How loving and patient He must be. He's still working on me. 

God chose John because the ordinary person would have bent too easily to the extreme religious, traditional and political pressures and would not be able to accomplish the mission assigned to him by God.

To any person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins i would tell them to repent, confess and ask for forgiveness of sind from the Lord. If they are not saved i would encourage them to receive the Lord as their personal saviour so that they would be saved.

People always have their opinions about you from their point of view. I am not dependant on what others say and think about me. I have learnt to take things to the Lord in prayer and so i even pray for people who say negetive things about me.

Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner? God chose John because he knew that he would not be tempted by anything in the world. John had spent years being alone in the desert and listening to God's voice. He was not afraid to speak the truth to people. God knew he would tell them like it is and not sugar coat things. 

How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose? Can't some be patterns of sinful reactions to past events? (Let's resist the temptation to get too deep into the mystery of predestination. Grin.) We must be sure to spend time with God and study His word. God knows what quirks and traits we have and what can be used to glorify Him. Some we got from our famiy and others we used to protect ourselves from being hurt. Yes, I believe some can be patterns of sinful reactions from past events. These are the things that God has to work on in our lives to get rid of any root of bitterness or anger.

John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training ground for your preparation? I was always teased and even traumatized when I was younger. I married someone a lot older tham me cause I was looking for a father; my real father did not spend much time with me. My husband died of a heart attack after 28 years of marriage. I had to sell the farm and move and walk to work. Our friends left us and we had problems in church. Through it all He has taught me to trust in Him.

How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you? How can you change this without becoming callous?  I am very insecure and I sometimes worry what my neighbors think of my house. It hurts me if I hear someone say something bad about me or my daughter. I know I can learn to care more about what God thinks about me. I can keep reminding myself that God loves me and Jesus died for me and loves me regardless of how I look or how my house looks.

What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? How can guilt be healthy? How can guilt be unhealthy? I would tell them God has forgiven them of their sins and they do not need to beat themselves over the head for them. God has buried them and will not bring them up again. That Jesus died so that they could be free of their guilt and shame. Guilt can be healthy if we know that we have done something wrong and need to ask forgiveness of someone we know and if we have sinned against God. It will remind us that there is something wrong and we need to make amends.Guilt can be unhealhty when we refuse to forgive ourselves of past sins and it hinders our relationship with God.

Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus? Repentance is necessary if we want to become followers of Jesus. We need not only to be sorry for what we have done but repent. We need to totally turn around and refuse to do or act the way we once did. Baptism is necessary if we want to publicly let others know we are His and that we have been cleansed from all sins. It shows that we have surrendered all to Him and are willing to serve and obey Him. 

What kind of cutting, filling, straightening, and smoothing work has God been doing in your life? What does he still need to do? Why is this necessary preparation for disciples? God has been working on my selfish tendencies at times; and causing me to put others needs before mine; especially my daughters. He is used 2020 to show me how faithful He was. He used other people I knew to help me out. He caused my faith to grow. He still needs to work on my fear in witnessing and in my tendency to waste time readig when I am depressed. It is necessary if we want to beb able to reach others for Christ. We need to always listen and obey Him no matter what and love each other. Only when we put everything on the altar,including our fears, doubts, worries and anxieties; only then can He use us.

Endnotes

1.    Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner? 
It had to be someone who would not succumb to the religious and political pressures of the day. Someone who was eccentric enough to proclaim the word and be the forerunner of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. John was this man. A unique person who stood out from the crowd - a man with heroic qualities; fearless and uncompromising, very direct calling a spade a spade. On top of this he was a Nazirite, one set apart for God’s service. Used to living a hard life. He knew he had a specific role to play as the forerunner to Jesus and he put all his energy into this task - becoming a popular and powerful preacher. A man of integrity proclaiming his message of repentance and forgiveness forthrightly and forcefully. He was the last OT prophet, and as such it is easy to miss the greatness and the many qualities of this unique individual. 
2.    How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose? Can't some be patterns of sinful reactions to past events? (Let's resist the temptation to get too deep into the mystery of predestination. Grin.) 
God has made us ‘different’ for a specific purpose. It does not matter what our nationality, race, social standing, or political position is. Once we have given our life to the Lord and have the love of Jesus in our hearts, out goes all the baggage of our past life, and any doubts we presently have. In comes our Lord Jesus to reign for eternity. 
3.    John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training ground for your preparation?   
Having been brought up in a non-Christian home, the Lord had to start from ground zero with me. During my 20’s He started me getting interested in religion, but it was only when I was 44 yo that I became born-again. I became a new creature with a lot of baggage and a lot to learn and understand. From then on His sanctifying work began in earnest. Over the years He got me into leadership positions in church. But now in my 80’s I have taken a backseat in church affairs and concentrate on reading and studying His Word. That is why I’m so thankful for people like Dr Ralph who make these Bible lessons available, helping me grow in my faith. God is Sovereign and nothing happens by accident. I’m so grateful that the Lord has had so much patience with me and has, and is still busy, getting rid of all the rough edges and preparing me for eternity. 
4.    How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you? How can you change this without becoming callous? 
It’s not all about me, it’s all about our Lord Jesus Christ and the glory we can bring to God our Father. In the world today we see an exaggerated sense of self-importance. There should be a dying to self and more of humility and fear of the Lord (Prov 22:4). We should rather clothe ourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but shows favour to the humble" (1 Peter 5:5). Jesus Christ is the perfect example for us to try and emulate - He did not come to earth to be served, but to serve. If we follow Jesus, there will be more dependence on God and service to others – no thinking of self and no arrogance or callousness. 
5.    What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? How can guilt be healthy? How can guilt be unhealthy? 
Chronic guilt over our past sins occurs when we keep on remembering them. All I can say is to take the promise of God seriously that He will forgive sin and remove guilt based on the blood of Christ. Once we put our trust in Jesus all past, present, and future sins are forgiven. Now we must believe this and move on! (1 John 1:9; Rom 8:1). While writing this I was listening to Christian music, and the Hymn “There’s power, power, wonder working power in the precious blood of the Lamb”, came on, how appropriate!
Guilt can be healthy in that it can drive us to seek forgiveness. The moment we turn from sin to our Lord Jesus Christ in faith, our sins are forgiven.
Guilt can be unhealthy when we continue remembering past sins that have been forgiven. We forget that these sins have been confessed, repented of, and forgiven. Now it is time to trust in God’s promise of forgiveness, and believe that we are new creatures in Christ (2 Cor 5:17). 
6.    Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus? 
Pride gets in the way of our relationship with God. James 4:6 tells us that He resists the prideful but gives grace to the humble. Pride makes us self- centred and leads us to be self-sufficient, and takes our focus away from the Lord. We must resist our in-bred pride and humbly abandon ourselves to the will of God. If we don’t He will do it for us; and this may be a very unpleasant experience. To become one of His disciples we must approach Him in humility. 
7.    What kind of cutting, filling, straightening, and smoothing work has God been doing in your life? What does He still need to do? Why is this necessary preparation for disciples? 
God has been busy preparing the way by getting rid of every occurrence of false humility as well as every attitude of pride and arrogance. Sly, perverse, deceitful habits must be broken. Disobedience, indifference, doubt, unconcern must all make way for genuine interest and obedience. 
Anything that obstructs the Lord's entrance into my heart; it could be self-love, apathy, ****, unbelief, all have to be removed. I need to do a real search of my heart, and reflect on my personal sin, and confess all unconfessed sin. There must be on my part true repentance in preparation for discipleship. He still has so much to do, and will only stop when I go to be with Him; when I will be made perfect, and spend eternity with Him! 

1. Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner?    Actually, God chose John before he was born to be the forerunner of Jesus. I feel sure John’s parents deeply instilled in him the miracle of his birth and the message of his life’s purpose that was revealed by the angel Gabriel before his conception. As a young man, I can imagine how growing up with the knowledge of such a clear call on his life to prepare Israel for the coming Messiah may have led him out into the desert at the Spirit’s leading to enter into the deep communion with the LORD that would shape him into the servant-prophet he was called to be. That intimate search for God outside the confines of the rigid structure and soon-to-be replaced demands of religious law shaped his unshakable reliance on God. But it also shaped him into a rugged, odd-ball, uncultured nonconformist! John wasn’t bound by human perceptions or opinions or doctrines, but by an intimate relationship with the God of Israel. He had confidence in truth learned directly from God. He was fearless in speaking that truth to challenge false doctrine or corrupt teaching or misplaced confidence in simply having a Jewish identity. Those kinds of barriers to truth had to be addressed in order for people to humble themselves in order to “prepare the way of the Lord” through their repentance and God’s forgiveness.  And John had a single-minded focus on delivering that message.

2. How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose? Can't some be patterns of sinful reactions to past events? (Let's resist the temptation to get too deep into the mystery of predestination. Grin.)    God creates us for the overarching common purpose of glorifying Him. But within that purpose He creates each of us for differing components of His plan. He gives circumstances/traits/qualities/abilities unique to each of us to equip us for fulfilling our own individual role in His design. But it’s our responsibility to individually seek His plan for us, yield to it, and let the Spirit lead us in how to rightly use those gifts for His glory. As a Body, we have to work together to complete His plans and purposes. And yes, I believe that many times our differences can result from patterns of sinful reactions to our own experiences. God desires to use the lessons we should learn from those reactions to make us better servants for His purposes.

3. John was raised in the desert. What kinds of circumstances has God used as a training ground for your preparation?   I recently worked on a study of lessons about wilderness experiences. Sometimes God leads us out of our safe & comfortable cocoons into “deserts” where everything is stripped down to the essentials. It's like a classroom where He wants to teach us total reliance on Him, where He seeks to draw us close in recognizing He is our only reliable source of truth, strength, sustenance, direction, hope. Luke 3:2 recounts it was in the wilderness, where John learned these things, that “the word of God” was given to him. It is there that the LORD also teaches us to seek Him above all else, listen to His voice, find purpose and direction, willingly obey what He says, and find joy in Him.

One of my most profound wilderness experiences was a 2 year period when my daughter first became ill and had to learn to live with a serious chronic auto-immune disease. As I fought fear and depression in my walk through that journey with her, it seemed that every single person in my life – including my husband and my own mother - had blinders on to my own heartbreak and struggle. But that emotional isolation drew me deeper into the Word, taught me how to battle fear with faith, showed me what a loving and faithful Father I have, and provided profound lessons I would never have learned otherwise. I finally came to realize that He wanted me to rely on no one but Him during that time and that He is my Enough for everything I need. I don’t ask to go into the wilderness, but I have learned to look for the lessons when those hard experiences inevitably come.

4. How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you? How can you change this without becoming callous?    My confidence in who I am comes from confidence in whose I am. I’ve suffered hurts and some rejections, but have learned not to let that destroy my understanding of who I am in Christ. Sometimes I do have to work hard at maintaining humility and kindness, but that comes through staying close to Him.

5. What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? How can guilt be healthy? How can guilt be unhealthy?   Chronic guilt is like a heavy ball & chain that you drag around in everything you do. Dealing with that weight and struggle can color your view of who you are, become your identity, strip you of hope, drain your strength & purpose. When we have sinned, we should feel guilt when we realize the wrong. It is healthy to accept a sense of responsibility for the offense & realize we are accountable. But guilt becomes unhealthy emotional bondage when we refuse to allow the Holy Spirit to use it to lead us to repentance for the wrong against God Himself. That creates broken fellowship and a need for reconciliation with Him (Isaiah 59:2). Guilt is unhealthy when we hang onto it, refusing to humble ourselves with honesty before the Father and then accept the forgiveness and restoration that Christ has secured for our confessed sins and repentance (Romans 5:6-9).  It can actually be a point of pride.

6. Why is humbling (such as repentance and baptism in John's day) necessary to form disciples of Jesus?   Repentance for wrongs can only come with being humble enough to rightly see where you’re wrong, what you harbor in mind and heart that caused that wrong, and the need to confess the wrong and turn from it. Pride never leads to repentance. It is antithetical to the humility required to become a disciple who is being shaped in the likeness of Jesus.

1. Bailey  1/16/21  Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus'  forerunner ?   You know, God planned it that way.  John was filled with the Holy Spirit prior to birth, parents were of great stock and in the lineage of David.  John's father was a good steward in the temple, it was prophesied/foretold that he (John) will be great in the sight of the Lord.  He will bring many people to the Lord. he would go on before the Lord in spirit and power of Elijah , to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to wisdom of the righteous - to make ready a people prepare for the Lord.  John would also become a true Nazirite (make a vow) ( Gen:49:26; Deut:33:16b) before God; Numbers 6:2-4 ; Judges 13:4-6.  Many of Jesus disciples were disciples of John Malachi 4: 5-6; Matthew 17:13.  John had favor with the Lord even before he was born
  2. How dependent are you upon what others thin and say about about you?  How can you change this without becoming callous?  I think as we or I were younger, or as a child we were all dependent on what parent said, adult said or thought about us.  It become our framework for for who we became.  Even though were raised in church, we did not know to trust in what God thought or even what he taught.  It was not pushed into our mental DNA back then or even now.  The reality is now and truthfully does one really care anymore?  We have learn to trust ,or have we learned to trust in God ?
  3. What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins? How can guilt be healthy?  How can guilt be unhealthy?  This question really troubled me, because I went through a period of terrible experience of guilt for years and I did not know how to let it go.  I listen to many so call preacher, minister's and they preached fire and brim stone, pits of hell.  I felt so condemned myself, I never told anyone or anybody and that felt like punishment itself.   I wanted the body and blood of Christ, with covid-19, churches were closed, I was like a junkie, I needed the blood of Jesus to make me whole.  One day Billy Graham was on, He said just put your hands in God's hands and come on.  Later that day I listen to Matt Hagee preach about forgiveness', That day I asked God to forgive me of my sins, I truly repented accepted Jesus Christ as my Personal Lord and Savior, and I Felt that burden lifted off my spirit.  I don't know about guilt being healthy or not, as for me it was not, but only God know that answer to that question.  Don't wait to long, surrender it all on the alter.

Question 1. Why do you think God chose John to be the forerunner to Jesus? I think it was because John knew what he was destined for. Go back to when Elizabeth was pregnant with John and Mary came to stay with her. Both babies leapt in their wombs. Being cousins John knew Jesus was destined to become the Savior of the world. John was preparing the people for Jesus. 

Question 1: Why do you think God chose someone like John to be Jesus' forerunner? 

It seems to me that God had had the coming of John in mind perhaps even as long as He had had the coming of Jesus in mind. I gather this from the fact that John's ministry was already prophesied in Isaiah as was Jesus'. I think God did not choose John because he was John (or strange, or a loner, or anything else); I think John was John, with his specific traits and habits, because God had planned him and had filled him with the Holy Spirit even before he was born. Luke 1 supports this idea in various places, for example in what the angel says to Zechariah when he announces John's imminent birth: "'...he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born. ... . And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah ...'” (verses 15-17), and at the end of the chapter: "And the child grew and became strong in spirit; and he lived in the wilderness until he appeared publicly to Israel (verse 80). According to an NIV footnote "in spirit" can also be translated as "in the Spirit", so that we can gather that his life was Spirit led, as had been announced by the angel; therefore I think that John didn't just live in the wilderness because he had a certain personality (which the Lord then decided to use for his purposes, though perhaps he had that too); it was probably the Spirit that led John to the wilderness. So that God indeed "fashioned" John to be what he was, as Dr Wilson puts it.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:53 AM, Celia P said:

Father chose him for this work, before He formed him in his mothers womb. Elizabeth got pregnant, after being baron for so many years. He was a part of Fathers plan.

How can we be sure that all our personal differences are part of God's plan and purpose?

Because He told us so (Jeremiah 29:11) "for I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord...

We are fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14)

Father formed us in our mothers womb, He knew us before we were born, and He appointed us to do His will. (Jeremiah 1:5)

(Psalm 139:16), all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

We are who we are, who Father made us to be. Our circumstances helped to form our character.

(Let's resist the temptation to get too deep into the mystery of predestination. Grin.)

Being saved from depression and suicide - Faith in Father that He is able, that nothing is impossible for Him. He is mighty to save.

I am a mother of 5, grand mother to 9, spiritual mother to 2, Thank you Lord, I am blessed - looking out for the needs of others, putting others first. Sacrificial love.

I grew up in a household where my parents argued a lot - I refuse to argue, and lose my temper, push all the buttons you like.

Rape and abuse - Forgiveness.

Losing my house and business - letting go and moving on, not storing up and holding on to things that can be taken away.

A lot has happened since 2013, when I got saved, that has contributed to my faith and maturity in Christ Jesus, so many trials matched with equal victories.

How dependent are you upon what others think and say about you?

Not at all. I was bought at a great price, I depend on my Father, the sustainer of life.

How can you change this without becoming callous?

He has set you apart, you are blessed. Embrace and believe what the Father thinks and says about you in His Word. Spend time with Him and feel the love He has for you. You are special. 

What would you say to a person suffering from chronic guilt over past sins?

If they have repentented, confessed to Our Father, and have asked Him for forgiveness, he is faithful to forgive, therefore you have been forgiven. His mercies are new every morning therefore tomorrow is a new day, leave that guilt in yesterday, and walk into the gift of a new beginning a new day, saying Father Your Will be done In my life today.

It can turn us away from sin, stops us from committing the same sin again.

If we are stressed by it, or if it burdens us with sorrow.

To step away from the old self, the old ways, to become a new, renewed, reformed, converted, changed.

The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working(James 5:16)

What kind of cutting, filling, straightening, and smoothing work has God been doing in your life?

Over the past 7 years there has been a lot of the above.

At the moment I feel that Father is taking me back to the beginning, Him and me, just basking in His presence. Sitting at Jesus' feet, while I enjoy doing these bible studies, learning more about Father, bellowing the flame.

What does he still need to do?

To continue working on me, guiding me, transforming me into who He wants me to be, for the service He has prepared me for.

Father knows what, how, who He wants me to be, so I trust He knows exactly what I need, and how to prepare me to serve Him, to bring Him honour and glory.

Love and Blessings to you all.. xx

Thanks for your candid sharing. Wow, that's a lot you had gone through! 

Why is humbling necessary to form disciples of Jesus?

The common people repented when they heard John preach.  The Pharisees refused to recognize their sins because of their pride and did not repent.  If you are not willing to let go of your pride and humble yourself, you will never repent and become a disciple of Jesus.  

What kind of cutting, straightening, filling, and smoothing work has God been doing in your life?  God has used this time in my life to turn me to reading and studying His word.  Through this, He has shown me areas of my life that I need to change.  Laziness and gluttony are two sins He has opened my eyes to.  Through fasting and exercise, with the support of a group of Christian sisters, He is helping me to overcome these sins.