JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

2. Repentance

• 3 months later...

1.    Why do you think John the Baptist calls people a brood of vipers, a den of snakes? Because of their self righteousness  and unbelief that makes them dangerous

2.    How did the Jews' religious pride in Abraham keep them from taking John's call for repentance seriously? How could religious pride have that same effect on us? They believed that they needed no baptism as children of Abraham. We can fall into the same trap of pride and go about in sin by failing to repent

3.    In what way does sharing clothing and food with the poor constitute meaningful repentance? What ways do you find to do this in your everyday life? It shows obedience to God's command to share with the needy as it is only the repentant and obedient heart can do so. By giving money to the needy from time to time. I need to do better

4.    Tax collectors were tempted to collect more than was due them. How does this same temptation show up in your line of work or education or home? In this regard I give God the praise as I tend to round up my tithes instead of underpaying. I also round up bills to my workers instead of underpaying them

5.    How will we know when we have repented? What are the fruits of genuine repentance? When we notice we act as the Word requires us to do in our relationships as regards helping the poor and needyI

6.    How does discontent with our lot in life cause us to sin? What would constitute repentance in this circumstances. Discontentment makes us to cut corners,  extortion and other vices. Confession and stopping these acts

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2020 at 9:04 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Please share your thoughts on one or more of the questions in this lesson. 

1. Why do you think John the Baptist calls people a brood of vipers, a den of snakes?

These were people who did not believe, nor were their hearts hungry. They came to satisfy their idle curiosity, or maybe they even came to mock. In their hearts there was pride, cynicism or hypocrisy.

Sin is a poison like the venom of a snake. It causes one to exalt self and reject God. Like venom, often it harms not only oneself but also the people whom one is related to. E.g. envy, lying, slander, insult, revenge are all sins directed to other people, causing hurt to other people.

1. How did the Jews' religious pride in Abraham keep them from taking John's call for repentance seriously? How could religious pride have that same effect on us?

They thought that, since they were biological descendants of Abraham, they must be favored by God above other ethnic peoples, and they must have a ticket to heaven, or Abraham's bosom as they called it. They saw no need to repent and be baptized, like the Gentiles (proselytes to Judaism) did.

Today, having a 'religious' heritage like being born in a Christian family, going to church often, giving tithes, having 'ministry' portfolios, etc., can still generate religious pride in us. As a result, we fail to examine our lives daily before God to check the true condition of our hearts and actions. We despise other people who may appear to be very new Christians or not 'gifted' for ministry or not knowledgeable in the Bible, etc.

1. In what way does sharing clothing and food with the poor constitute meaningful repentance? What ways do you find to do this in your everyday life?

True repentance turns one away from trusting in self or material security to trusting in God. As a result, one is able to let go of things once grasped tightly.

True repentance also embraces the love and compassion of God. As a result, one turns one's concern from caring for self to caring for others.

That's why sharing clothing or food with the needy can be a natural outcome (or as we call it, the fruit) of repentance.

Before the outburst of COVID-19, I did voluntary service to the residents in the neighborhood. Now I accumulate extra stuff into a corner, ready for the day of collection for charitable purposes. Maybe this question is spurring me to think of other, more pro-active ways as well in future.

1. Tax collectors were tempted to collect more than was due them. How does this same temptation show up in your line of work or education or home?

In my case, my fees are fixed by the organization, but I can imagine that if I were to set my own fees, I may get tempted to over-charge too.

1. How will we know when we have repented? What are the fruits of genuine repentance?

We can know we have repented if we have confessed our sin, as well as changed our actions in that area. Although it is sufficient to confess to God as long as we are sincere, our hearts are deceitful as long as we don't seem to have to pay a price (that is, we think forgiveness is cheap). This may be a reason why in certain circles they advise you to confess to someone reliable and make yourself accountable to him. James 5:16 says, "confess your sins to one another and pray for one another so that you may be healed."

The fruit of repentance is a change in attitude and behavior.

1. How does discontent with our lot in life cause us to sin? What would constitute repentance in this circumstance?

Discontent causes us not to be grateful to God and others. It may cause us to grumble, in the process multiplying discontent in others too. Discontent causes us to pursue relentlessly what we think we lack, be it money, fame or some other idol. In the process, we distrust / neglect God and serve only ourselves. A discontent person cannot be generous, since he thinks he doesn't have enough for himself. He cannot generously give to others, neither money, possessions, praise or credit. He wants it all for himself.

Repenting from discontent would involve a prayer of confession, a resolution to trust God for what we need, ceasing to pursue / hoard for oneself, and beginning to give to others unconditionally.

• 3 weeks later...

Question 5 -

Repentance is a change of mind, so true evidence of this is the Saint stops sinning. James said, "Faith without works is dead." The Saint must substitute in the void for the absent sin. It is not a change to idleness but an occupation. The Saint in Christ must follow the Spirit to occupy the land. Since forgiveness is to be "released from captivity", the Saint moves from slavery/captivity to freedom. But not a vacaant, idle freedom! Instead this is a Chritianity that occupies, takes possession, controls the land...in Jesus. The true benefit, or fruit, is the rich fellowship with Christ that comes through obedience.

1.    Why do you think John the Baptist calls people a brood of vipers, a den of snakes? 
He used harsh words to try and shock them into action/repentance. He knew that the majority of them came only as spectators and had no hunger or thirst for righteousness. 
2.    How did the Jews' religious pride in Abraham keep them from taking John's call for repentance seriously? How could religious pride have that same effect on us? 
The Jews thought that being descendants of Abraham was enough to ensure salvation. They saw no need for a personal relationship with God, never mind our Lord Jesus. The same with us; we have to make a personal decision to put our trust in Jesus Christ for salvation. The danger is that pride keeps our thoughts away from God. “In his pride the wicked man does not seek Him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God (Ps 10:4)”. Our pride blinds us and we think that there is no need for God. 
3.    In what way does sharing clothing and food with the poor constitute meaningful repentance? What ways do you find to do this in your everyday life? 
It is outward evidence that their hearts are truly right before God – it proves their sincerity in that they had repented. As we know faith without works is dead. We are to love our neighbours as ourselves, and to offer assistance where ever we see a true need. All is done in obedience to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. 
4.    Tax collectors were tempted to collect more than was due them. How does this same temptation show up in your line of work or education or home? 
The tax collectors were dishonest in their exploitation of the tax payers. Dishonesty takes on many forms - man’s mind is so evil that they are always thinking of new ideas to get rich quickly, and these show up in all forms of business, work, education, home, or anywhere man is present. Greed and corruption is everywhere in the country I live. They range from pyramid schemes involving hundreds of millions to lies, and cheating on one’s spouse. All forms of dishonesty, be it: blackmail, bribery, cheating, exploitation, extortion, fraud, stealing, false witness, lies, dishonest scales, underpaying wages, false teachings are all contrary to the will and nature of God. 
5.    How will we know when we have repented? What are the fruits of genuine repentance? 
There is a change of behaviour. After exposure to the Word of God we find that the things we enjoyed doing, we no longer enjoy or even want to do.
We have put our faith in our Saviour Jesus Christ and the righteousness He provides. Overtime we notice changes in our actions, thoughts, and attitudes. We become less selfish and more loving towards others. There is more self-control, patience, gentleness, kindness (Gal 5:22), and the peace of Jesus comes over us (John 14:27). 
6.    How does discontent with our lot in life cause us to sin? What would constitute repentance in this circumstance? 
If we have enough we should be content, but our problem is that we never know when enough is enough. We need to differentiate between what we need and what we want. We must trust our Lord and be content even when we have not got everything we want. If not we can find ourselves caught in an endless cycle that only leads to ruin and destruction. There must be complete trust in Jesus and acknowledging that He is control and that He knows what our needs are and that He will provide. We repent of the love of money or of materialism and learn to be satisfied with what our Lord has provided. As Paul mentioned – the combination of godliness with contentment is great gain. This statement is the key to spiritual growth and personal fulfillment. We should honour God and centre our desires on Him (Mat 6:33), and we should be content with what God is doing in our lives (Php 4:11-13). 

1.  Why do you think John the Baptist calls people a brood of vipers, a den of snakes? 

Vipers are venomous, deadly. People that are not serious of repentance or living for God are a danger to those who have a desire to do so. Especially those new in the faith. Vipers that flee from 'danger' are those people who flee into the midst of a crowd who desire to live for God and sow discontent and discord among them. Instead of concentrating on the Word the new converts concentrate on the 'vipers' who have become a distraction. 

2. How did Jews' religious pride in Abraham keep them from taking John's call to repentance seriously? How could religious pride have the same effect on us? 

They felt that they were 'safe' because they were children of Abraham (Jews) and did not need to repent. We too could look at others and compare our lifestyle to example the drunkard, prostitute, thief etc., and think we are not like that and so be proud of our way of life and before we know it religious pride has set in and we are no longer humble, and we look down on them, just as those in John's day. Meanwhile pride needs to be repented of. 

6. How does discontent with our lot in life cause us to sin?  What would constitute repentance in this circumstance?

Discontentment results in grumbling which means we are not trusting God to take care of our needs. We then rely on ourselves or others rather than God.  Selfishness and greed creep in. Soon we are consumed with the things of this world and our behavior conforms to this world and not to God’s plan for our lives.

Repentance would look like asking forgiveness and repenting for not trusting God. The fruit of repentance would constitute stepping out in faith by giving of our time and other resources to help those in need around us.

4.Tax collectors were tempted to collect more than was due them. How does this temptation show up in your line of workor education or home? 

Fairness, honesty and justice are required of us. Not taking unfair advantage of others. I do not think that has come up in any way. If inadvertently it has, I repent and ask Father's forgiveness and help that I can rectify it. 

5. How will we know when we have repented? What are the fruits of genuine repentance? 

When there is a change in our attitude and behavior. 

6. How does discontent with one's lot in life cause us to sin? What would constitute repentance in this circumstance? 

It makes us greedy, which stems from a lack of trust.

We would need to dethrone materialism fully and completely. 

1.  Why do you think John the Baptist calls the people a brood of vipers, a den of snakes?

Vipers are poisonous - they can attack and spread their poison.   In Genesis, a snake is used as a symbol of the Devil, to tempt Adam and Eve.   The people are sinful and in need of repentance, and so he likens them to an animal which is feared and dreaded

2.   How did the Jews'  religious pride in Abraham keep them from taking John's call for repentance seriously?   How could religious pride have that same effect on us?

The Jews were self-righteous in their descent from Abraham, and their position as the Chosen People.    Because of this, they felt that they had already "arrived" spiritually, and had no need for repentance.   We can fall into the same trap, when our religion creates a self-satisfaction, a feeling that we are superior to others, and an inability to realize our own sinfulness.

3.  In what way does sharing clothing and food with the poor constitute meaningful repentance?   What ways do you find to do this in your everyday life?

Jesus gave the command to feed the hungry and cloth the naked.   When we share our worldly goods with others, we are showing love in action, and this was the second of the great commandments given by Jesus - to love our neighbour as ourselves.   We cannot think of others if we are too wrapped up in our own pride and satisfaction.

4.   Tax collectors were tempted to collect more than was due them.   How does this same temptation show up in your line of work or education or home?

In neglecting to give to others the full amount that they have paid for.

5.   How will we know that we have repented?   What are the fruits of genuine repentance?

We will know that we have repented when we put God at the centre of our lives, and put others before ourselves.   The fruits of genuine repentance are the fruits of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.   Galatians 5:22

6.    How does discontent with our lot cause us to sin?   What would constitute repentance in this circumstance?

Discontent with our lot shows a lack of trust in God, who gives us every good thing which is necessary for our well-being, therefore we should need no more.   Repentance would involve a study of our circumstances, to develop gratitude for what we have - and a study of the circumstances of others, to realize that so many are worse off than us.   

On 12/26/2020 at 8:23 AM, Isaac L said:
  1. Why do you think John the Baptist calls people a brood of vipers, a den of snakes?

These were people who did not believe, nor were their hearts hungry. They came to satisfy their idle curiosity, or maybe they even came to mock. In their hearts there was pride, cynicism or hypocrisy.

Sin is a poison like the venom of a snake. It causes one to exalt self and reject God. Like venom, often it harms not only oneself but also the people whom one is related to. E.g. envy, lying, slander, insult, revenge are all sins directed to other people, causing hurt to other people.

1. How did the Jews' religious pride in Abraham keep them from taking John's call for repentance seriously? How could religious pride have that same effect on us?

They thought that, since they were biological descendants of Abraham, they must be favored by God above other ethnic peoples, and they must have a ticket to heaven, or Abraham's bosom as they called it. They saw no need to repent and be baptized, like the Gentiles (proselytes to Judaism) did.

Today, having a 'religious' heritage like being born in a Christian family, going to church often, giving tithes, having 'ministry' portfolios, etc., can still generate religious pride in us. As a result, we fail to examine our lives daily before God to check the true condition of our hearts and actions. We despise other people who may appear to be very new Christians or not 'gifted' for ministry or not knowledgeable in the Bible, etc.

1. In what way does sharing clothing and food with the poor constitute meaningful repentance? What ways do you find to do this in your everyday life?

True repentance turns one away from trusting in self or material security to trusting in God. As a result, one is able to let go of things once grasped tightly.

True repentance also embraces the love and compassion of God. As a result, one turns one's concern from caring for self to caring for others.

That's why sharing clothing or food with the needy can be a natural outcome (or as we call it, the fruit) of repentance.

Before the outburst of COVID-19, I did voluntary service to the residents in the neighborhood. Now I accumulate extra stuff into a corner, ready for the day of collection for charitable purposes. Maybe this question is spurring to think of other, more pro-active ways as well in future.

1. Tax collectors were tempted to collect more than was due them. How does this same temptation show up in your line of work or education or home?

In my case, my fees are fixed by the organization, but I can imagine that if I were to set my own fees, I may get tempted to over-charge too.

1. How will we know when we have repented? What are the fruits of genuine repentance?

We can know we have repented if we have confessed our sin, as well as changed our actions in that area. Although it is sufficient to confess to God as long as we are sincere, our hearts are deceitful as long as we don't seem to have to pay a price (that is, we think forgiveness is cheap). This may be a reason why in certain circles they advise you to confess to someone reliable and make yourself accountable to him. James 5:16 says, "confess your sins to one another and pray for one another so that you may be healed."

The fruit of repentance is a change in attitude and behavior.

1. How does discontent with our lot in life cause us to sin? What would constitute repentance in this circumstance?

Discontent causes us not to be grateful to God and others. It may cause us to grumble, in the process multiplying discontent in others too. Discontent causes us to pursue relentlessly what we think we lack, be it money, fame or some other idol. In the process, we distrust / neglect God and serve only ourselves. A discontent person cannot be generous, since he thinks he doesn't have enough for himself. He cannot generously give to others, neither money, possessions, praise or credit. He wants it all for himself.

Repenting from discontent would involve a prayer of confession, a resolution to trust God for what we need, ceasing to pursue / hoard for oneself, and beginning to give to others unconditionally.

I think because they were corrupt group of people

Questions
Click on the link below to discuss on the forum one or more of the questions that follow -- your choice.

1.    Why do you think John the Baptist calls people a brood of vipers, a den of snakes? They used other people for their own ends and never did what they said.
2.    How did the Jews' religious pride in Abraham keep them from taking John's call for repentance seriously? How could religious pride have that same effect on us? They confused religion and faith in God with national political purposes.
3.    In what way does sharing clothing and food with the poor constitute meaningful repentance? What ways do you find to do this in your everyday life? It gives meaning to sacrifice if itis truly a sacrifical giving and not for ones own selfish purposes. We give to the church and other worthy causes where needs exist. 
4.    Tax collectors were tempted to collect more than was due them. How does this same temptation show up in your line of work or education or home? They used the office they held as the ways to profit more than they were entitled to. Self-centered advancement over our peers. In brothers and sisters family strife to gain parents favor.
5.    How will we know when we have repented? What are the fruits of genuine repentance? Remorse and feeling guilt come back to haunt us, often remembering the hurt we have caused others over the years. Paul talks about godliness with contentment as our need here. 1st Tim. 6:6-10 Then in Phil 4:11-13 he gives us the way as he is in jail here so it is with usif we are in such a situation. Thus it is through allowing the Spirit to be in control and being willing to serve in every situation we find ourselves in. Are we in some kind of trouble? If we follow God's Will that the Holy Spirit is leading us no matter where or what we are in then that is contentment because we are trying to live under the Holy Spirits guidance as our mission and ministry. It is the the asking seeking and finding. 
6.    How does discontent with our lot in life cause us to sin? What would constitute repentance in this circumstance? We think we have disobeyed and shame ourselves needlessly instead of trusting God's leading. We go back to the source of our salvation and keeping our focus on Christ instead of our own selves. 1st John 1-7 says it perfectly. "if we walk in the light as he (Jesus) is in the light, we have fellowship one with another and the Blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin." We are given the gift of the Spirit so we can produce the fruit of the Spirit. Galatiansd 5:22-24.

Question 3. By giving to those in need. At my church several things have come about since covid has hit. 1. We do a brown bag meal for those who need it and live around the church. 2. A blessing box in front of the church with non perishable food stocked in it. 3. Wednesday night take out meal. For members who want a break from cooking. These are ways we are serving those in need during these trying times. 

1.      John was aware that many of the Jews were self-serving and not righteous, as they would have others believe, thinking only of themselves and having no concern for their fellow mankind.  They were sheep in wolves clothing. Their lot in life was prosperity for themselves no matter what means was used to achieve this thus committing sins of greed, dishonesty, love of self, not obeying God’s commandments.

6 Discontentment with our lot could cause some of us to forget that we should continue to have faith in our God and just continue to pray for his intercession.  Instead it causes us to become depressed and turn to whatever it takes to take away the discontent. Often we commit deeds that are  not righteous in God’s eyes.

On 1/17/2021 at 11:50 AM, sally607 said:

Question 3. By giving to those in need. At my church several things have come about since covid has hit. 1. We do a brown bag meal for those who need it and live around the church. 2. A blessing box in front of the church with non perishable food stocked in it. 3. Wednesday night take out meal. For members who want a break from cooking. These are ways we are serving those in need during these trying times. 

How innovative, practical and tangible!  Applause...  :)

BAILEY 1/18/21  Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King   What a man so needed in such a time as this. How great to see the sun shining today, and I am ever so grateful for psalm 61.  I guess I was in the desert with John a little to long and forgot to wandering and that I am not alone.  You know John the Baptist called those brood of people vipers, den of snakes, well they are not nice creatures at all.  The bite is very poisonous, deadly, like the words of some people.  I think without getting to deep, John may have been think of the snake from the Garden of Eden that deceived Eve into eating the apple and if my theology recalls, the snake had legs until God cursed him to crawl on his belly.  So maybe John was going there in his preaching, that was too much for the people.  These people weren't serious about seeking God like the serpent in the garden was trying to deceive Adam and Even.

2.How did the Jews' religious pride in Abraham keep them from taking John's call for repentance seriously? How could religious pride have that same effect on us?  Jews were old school, keep in mind they gave Moses the blues as they wondered in the desert when he went up against Pharaoh.  Let's not forget John father Zechariah and the announcement of the birth of John, people didn't believe the angel foretold his name, that he would go before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous -  to make ready a people prepared for the Lord. (1:11-17).   Religious pride can have that same effect on us today if we forget the lessons of discipleship: to avoid an attitude of unbelief, trust in the word of God , to actively keep seeking Him, His Love, His Truth and His presence is Our lives and not what the media says. We must also remember that John's birth is a vital importance to what God is doing.  As is disciples we all always preparing the way and no giant can defeat me, because He Knows My Name.

3.Thanks for blessing me, Pat

Why do you think John the Baptist calls people a brood of vipers, a den of snakes?

A. I think that John the Baptist called the people a brood of vipers because they were trying to teach poison scripture to those that didn’t know any better. They were trying to change their lot in life.

How did the Jews' religious pride in Abraham keep them from taking John's call for repentance seriously? How could religious pride have that same effect on us?

A. The religious pride in Abraham kept them from taking John’s call for repentance seriously because they thought that they knew everything and could interpret scripture accurately only because they were in the blood line of Abraham.

In what way does sharing clothing and food with the poor constitute meaningful repentance? What ways do you find to do this in your everyday life?

A. I think that sharing clothing and food with the poor shows that not only have we repented but that we are letting actions also show the repentance.

Tax collectors were tempted to collect more than was due them. How does this same temptation show up in your line of work or education or home?

A. This type of thing is true when we try to con somebody out of something that we want and are not willing to work for it.

How will we know when we have repented? What are the fruits of genuine repentance?

A. I think that the repentance shows up when we are satisfied with our station on life. We will be thinking of other more then we think of ourselves.

How does discontent with our lot in life cause us to sin? What would constitute repentance in this circumstance?

A. If we are discount with our lot in life we will try to do anything possible to chance our lot in life. That would be like the brood of vipers that is in our passage today.

Q1. John calls the church leaders a brood of vipers because they have heard about John and they have come to watch him, with feelings of superiority and feelings that they don’t need to listen and take on board all that John is saying because they are the “ religious teachers.”

Q2.Some of the Jews think that because they are part of the family of Abraham they the chosen people therefore they don’t need to listen to John and need to repent of their sins.

Some people may think that because their parents are Christian , and because they go to church regularly that they are Christians. They are not Christians until they have repented of sin and dedicated their lives to Jesus, and accepted Jesus as Saviour.

Q3.By sharing what we have we are being less greedy and less materialistic. We are helping those in need just as Jesus did. We are doing God’s work. In my everyday life I try to do things like I have a few people older than I that are lonely and I visit them, I have a few ladies that I meet with for coffee/ lunch who have different problems in life, who benefit from these outings. I have a few Christian charities that I support. I have a child that I sponsor. And I help in a charity shop which provides for a shelter for homeless children in India, we also provide funds for local charities which look after those who are in hard circumstances.

Q4.I am now retired but I was in charge of a small hospital ( just 23 beds) so there were always ways I could be dishonest but I was always aware I was being watched by the staff and tried to insist on honesty in all of us. Rereading this it sounds like I am saying I was honest because I was being watched by staff! I was very aware of my testimony as a Christian in the hospital because none of the other staff were Christians. 
Q5.We have a peace with God after repentance. Also we have do as Micah describes in chap6 v8 “To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God”. 
Q6.Discontentment in our lives means we are not focusing on God. We are trying to get other “things “ and more money, therefore not trusting in God’s provision. It can lead us into other sins by causing quarrels with spouses because we don’t think we have enough! We are so taken up with what we don’t have we have no time to think about others less well off. We can also influence our children into the same way of thinking. Repentance in this situation would be to have a complete change of attitude to ask God’s forgiveness and to start thanking God for all you have got and refuse to think about things you haven’t got. At the end of the day we cannot take anything with us when we die, “ things” are very temporary.

JOHN PREACHED REPENTANCE. NOTE THAT A MAN MUST FIRST REPENT, THEN BARE FRUIT. AND THE FRUIT MUST BE WORTHY (DESERVING), CONSISTENT WITH REPENTANCE, FRUIT THAT SHOWS A CHANGED HEART AND A TURNING AWAY FROM SIN.

John demands the evidence or fruit of repentance, not merely the religious statusquo. Decades later, Jesus" brother James put it another way, "Faith without works is dead" (James 2:17, 26 

1.    Why do you think John the Baptist calls people a brood of vipers, a den of snakes? They used other people for their own ends and never did what they said.
2.    How did the Jews' religious pride in Abraham keep them from taking John's call for repentance seriously? How could religious pride have that same effect on us? They confused religion and faith in God with national political purposes.
3.    In what way does sharing clothing and food with the poor constitute meaningful repentance? What ways do you find to do this in your everyday life? It gives meaning to sacrifice if itis truly a sacrifical giving and not for ones own selfish purposes. We give to the church and other worthy causes where needs exist. 
4.    Tax collectors were tempted to collect more than was due them. How does this same temptation show up in your line of work or education or home? They used the office they held as the ways to profit more than they were entitled to. Self-centered advancement over our peers. In brothers and sisters family strife to gain parents favor.
5.    How will we know when we have repented? What are the fruits of genuine repentance? Remorse and feeling guilt come back to haunt us, often remembering the hurt we have caused others over the years. Paul talks about godliness with contentment as our need here. 1st Tim. 6:6-10 Then in Phil 4:11-13 he gives us the way as he is in jail here so it is with usif we are in such a situation. Thus it is through allowing the Spirit to be in control and being willing to serve in every situation we find ourselves in. Are we in some kind of trouble? If we follow God's Will that the Holy Spirit is leading us no matter where or what we are in then that is contentment because we are trying to live under the Holy Spirits guidance as our mission and ministry. It is the the asking seeking and finding. 
6.    How does discontent with our lot in life cause us to sin? What would constitute repentance in this circumstance? We think we have disobeyed and shame ourselves needlessly instead of trusting God's leading. We go back to the source of our salvation and keeping our focus on Christ instead of our own selves. 1st John 1-7 says it perfectly. "if we walk in the light as he (Jesus) is in the light, we have fellowship one with another and the Blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin." We are given the gift of the Spirit so we can produce the fruit of the Spirit. Galatiansd 5:22-24.

1. Why do you think John the Baptist calls people a brood of vipers, a den of snakes?  God’s Chosen People had become a generation poisoned by pride in their national identity as they presumed security with God because of their lineage, Jewish in name only as a people entirely missing personal relationships with Yahweh. God indicted them as dangerous slithering offspring that were producing only the lethal venom of rebellion that would destroy them all in His soon-coming righteous judgment. Father, show me where I presume on Your mercy and promises, or harbor rebellion that harms others and will have to be judged.

2. How did the Jews' religious pride in Abraham keep them from taking John's call for repentance seriously? How could religious pride have that same effect on us?  The Jews had become smug and self-righteous in relying on their heritage as children of Abraham and they neglected personal obedience to Yahweh, the God of Abraham. That caused them to go blind to any recognition of their separation from God and need for repentance. It would only take a few changes to the words of those 2 sentences to describe much of today’s Body of Christ. The judgment described by John in vs 9 was specifically directed to the Jews and it doesn’t apply to this Body in the sense of being cut off from God, but certainly demonstrates how seriously God takes an attitude of pride and rebellion in His people. It causes much loss. While salvation is secure, when we lose humility and become proud and self-secure, we create separation from God that also requires repentance with the evidence of bearing kingdom fruit. We need to beware of taking on an attitude of religious superiority or presumption on God that blinds our spiritual vision and deadens our ability to hear His voice. Father, guard my heart with humility and truth.

3. In what way does sharing clothing and food with the poor constitute meaningful repentance? What ways do you find to do this in your everyday life? The fruit we are to bear in keeping with honest repentance begins with loving what God loves. That love is demonstrated by mercy and compassion for people less fortunate than we are, which begins with helping meet basic needs like clothing and food. Sharing in the needs of others also reveals my level of trust and shows a confidence in God’s promises to take good care of me.

One thing I often try to do is keep a gift card to a grocery or "big box store" in my wallet. When I encounter a need and feel the Spirit’s prompting, I have something to readily share. Also, I do what I can to help support a local ministry that uses donations as a platform for meeting needs locally & afar in order to share the message of the Gospel. There always seems to be a closet filled with things I don’t need or will never use again! And then, there are organizations like Samaritan’s Purse that need $$ donations to deliver the Gospel through meeting basic needs on a massive scale around the world. Father, give me eyes to see the needs of others, ears to hear how You lead me to be an answer, and a heart to be compassionate and kind and generous.

4. Tax collectors were tempted to collect more than was due them. How does this same temptation show up in your line of work or education or home? The answer to the tax collectors’ question of what the fruit of repentance should look like in their lives was multi-faceted in its one simple sentence, “Collect no more than you are authorized to do”. This fruit should start with a godly love for the downtrodden that’s demonstrated by treating others as fairly as they themselves want to be treated. They should be honest and just in their dealings. They should reject misconduct such as extortion or false accusations, and live with integrity. They should confront the greed rooted in their hearts and learn to be content. We have to face those same heart-issues and deliberately work to grow in love, honesty, integrity, and contentment as we encounter temptations to benefit ourselves in deceptive ways that rob from others. Father, reveal any greed and disrespect for others that is harbored in my heart.

5. How will we know when we have repented? What are the fruits of genuine repentance? We will know we have repented when we have turned away from the wicked selfish desires for self and begin to care about the needs and rights of others, when we begin to care more about what God loves and values than our own desires or pleasure or comfort. We’ll begin to see changes of the heart in all the ways John challenged the people of his day, with new desires and perspectives. Father, show me what You see in my heart and help me turn away from sin toward desires for the fruits of repentance in my life that will bring You glory.

6. How does discontent with our lot in life cause us to sin? What would constitute repentance in this circumstance? Discontent only breeds sinful negative things. It is a mind-set that says God is not good, or doesn’t care for me, or isn’t fair, or isn’t enough to give me what I expect from life. It says God can’t be trusted and I have to make things happen for myself. It leads to worry, anxiety, fear, greed, flawed judgment, sense of entitlement, distraction from life’s truly important matters. All of that is self-centered, self-focused, self-reliant – and self-destructive. Repentance from discontentment would start with humility before God, recognizing/confessing the futility of prideful pursuits and turning to Him in faith that His promises to care for my needs and always seek my good are true. It requires training myself to identify discontent and choose to reject it. Father, give me discernment to quickly identify attitudes of discontent. Help me to be humble before You and to maintain an outlook of trust in Your faithfulness and gratitude for Your goodness. Amen.