JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Lost Sheep and Lost Coin

Q1. (Luke 15:1-10) What do the Parables of the Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin teach disciples about God’s heart? In what way do these parables represent a contrast to the murmuring of the Pharisees? How should a disciple implement Jesus’ value of seeking the lost in his or her own community?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Luke 15:1-10) What do the Parables of the Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin teach disciples about God’s heart? In what way do these parables represent a contrast to the murmuring of the Pharisees? How should a disciple implement Jesus’ value of seeking the lost in his or her own community?

God’s will is not only for none to be lost and all to be saved, but He is willing and able to seek out the lost and bring them in. God’s love!

The people that the Pharisees marginalize and are repulsed by are the same people the Lord loves and seeks to bring into the kingdom.

We should realize that no one is beyond God’s reach or His love. That He came for the sick not the well, as we should also. We are not to judge a book by its cover or we will fall into the same camp as the Pharisees. Let all our actions be motivated by love and concentrate on pleasing God and not man.

2 hours ago, t-c said:

Q1. (Luke 15:1-10) What do the Parables of the Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin teach disciples about God’s heart? In what way do these parables represent a contrast to the murmuring of the Pharisees? How should a disciple implement Jesus’ value of seeking the lost in his or her own community?

God’s will is not only for none to be lost and all to be saved, but He is willing and able to seek out the lost and bring them in. God’s love!

The people that the Pharisees marginalize and are repulsed by are the same people the Lord loves and seeks to bring into the kingdom.

We should realize that no one is beyond God’s reach or His love. That He came for the sick not the well, as we should also. We are not to judge a book by its cover or we will fall into the same camp as the Pharisees. Let all our actions be motivated by love and concentrate on pleasing God and not man.

Very good. Thanks

On 4/22/2023 at 6:25 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Luke 15:1-10) What do the Parables of the Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin teach disciples about God’s heart? In what way do these parables represent a contrast to the murmuring of the Pharisees? How should a disciple implement Jesus’ value of seeking the lost in his or her own community?

God is a loving Father and He wants nobody should be lost. 

God is concerned about the unsaved and these are symbolised by the expression lost sheep.

Pharasee just think they are the righteous and have pride. Jesus wants us as his disciples to reach out to the lost, meaning people of different religions, and all people in our community that are not saved.

God loves each and everyone of His children. He keeps watch over them and calls each one by name to Himself. If only all will answer His call and follow.

To the Pharises, tax collectors, the poor, the sick, the disabled...are considered sinners and are unclean. The unclean may not enter the house of God (the temple). If you associate with these people, you are considered unclean and you must go wash before you may associate with anyone else. To them, how could Jesus be a person of God and still associate with these sinners.

Share your faith with others in your community. Live your faith so others will see and want to know about your faith. Invite your neighbors to fellowship with you. Be a light and walk by faith.

On 4/21/2023 at 8:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

How much He loves us and never gives up on us. How He has given us of His grace, favor and mercy. And when we stray He continues to chase after us and draw us to Himself.

Jesus seeks and saves the lost.  That is why He met with sinners and tax collectors. The Pharises who didn't  need Him because they felt right and good in their own eyes in obeying the law, but they never did and couldn't keep it. So they murmured and complained because thought they were better than everyone else and that Jesus mixed with sinners.

We should get to know people and shine the light of Jesus in us.  Seeking what their needs are, pray with them and lead them to Jesus and tell them How much He loves them and cares for them and what He has done for them.

I,m new here. But this is a 3 part question. The first question answer is they both was lost but now they are found. Like wise,l say unto you in the presence of the angel of God over one sinner that repenteth. God wants everybody to be saved.But God's knows the ones that is his.Part 2. And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying ,This man receiveth sinner and eateth with them.So Jesus didn't come to heal the righteous he came to preach and heal the lost and sinner.Part C we are to preach the gospel to everybody they that have ears let them here the good news of Jesus Christ.

God is persistent in filling heaven with those who love Him. He will not rest until all who will respond to the gospel are found and enter into eternity to worship Him. His joy in seeing the lost come into his "sheepfold" is openly expressed in these parables. As ones who are already saved, we are God's hands and feet to seek those who would belong to the kingdom. As the woman searched her home for the lost coin, and the shepherd sought his lost sheep, we are to go and find those in our community and in the world who will hear the words of salvation and respond with a resounding "YES!" Oh, that I would have the boldness and persistence to seek the lost as the shepherd and the woman sought after their lost. 

The Pharisees had no love for the lost. Their "love" was found in their own performance of the requirements of the Law. They had missed the point of the Law and were judges, condemning all those who would not or could not be as "perfect" as they. In their religious pride, they turned their backs on those who needed God the most and sought only like-minded men. In many ways, we are like the Pharisees. We cling to our comfort zone and turn our backs on those who differ from us. We must see the lost as God sees them...we must seek the lost as God seeks them...it is our calling as disciples.

People all around us (family members, neighbors, church attendees, hungry, homeless, desperate) need to hear about God's love. We must be the woman's lamp, illuminating our surroundings to see the lost and bring them "home." We can't hide in our comfortable church and lifestyle and ignore the ones that truly need the gospel. As the woman and the shepherd stopped what they were doing in order to seek the lost, we must have a plan, make the time, and take the effort to seek and save the lost.

Q1. (Luke 15:1-10)

What do the Parables of the Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin teach disciples about God's heart? In what way do these parables represent a contrast to the murmuring of the Pharisees? How should a disciple implement Jesus' value of seeking the lost in his or her own community?

We see a loving God who deeply cares for each sinner who is not saved. A God who actively seeks the lost, who grieves over every person lost, and who rejoices when they are found. So much so that their conversion and salvation bring great joy to His heart (Isa 62:5). This is a God full of love, full of mercy, full of grace, and full of tender kindness; a God who forgives sinners who repent and put their faith in His Son. The Pharisees could not take it or understand Jesus’ love and concern for these outcasts. They criticised Him for the fact that He went about diligently seeking them and becoming actively involved with them. He mixes with them, He eats with them, He loves them, He does not look down upon them, and He comes to offer them salvation. This was too much. They did not see themselves as sinners in need of salvation, and here was Jesus polluting their holiness. So, we see these proud, disrespectful, self-righteous Pharisees withdrawing from the Lord. In contrast to our Lord Jesus, they were always avoiding any contact with certain classes of people, the social and moral lepers, or anything unclean in accordance with the OT laws of uncleanness. They went about murmuring/complaining that “this man receives sinners and eats with them” (15:2). This of course was true, as this was the very purpose for which our Lord came into the world. Jesus teaches us that we are to follow His example in seeking the lost. Jesus shows that He associates with all kinds and groups of people, irrespective of status, or race. He loves everyone equally, and it is up to us to do the same. We are to seek the lost and lead them to Jesus Christ for salvation, especially those we might feel uncomfortable with like the destitute and homeless.

My Answer:

God cares about every person save and unsaved. It's not just about taking care of our own needs or only what's going on in the church but look outside of that and see what's going on around us. God is always searching and wanting lost souls regardless of what they have done.  

Just like the Pharisees we can start to look down on the lost. Sometimes we can forget that we to was once lost and was living as part of the world. 

A disciple can do this by just looking around their community. Praying to God to show them where to start if they are unsure. We could also ask God to give us a deeper heart for the lost and more boldness to go out of our comfort zone. 

Jesus is concerned more with the lost sheep,  that why He leaves the rest and goes for the lost ones. In John 10 : 16 Jesus talks of sheep of another  fold that he has to seek for, I believe these are the Gentiles- sheep from other nations.

As Christians we should seek to share our faith with those who do not come to church as we reflect God's love to them. God is not happy with those that die in sin but that they repent as Zecchaeus did in Luke 19: 1-10.

These parables teach us that we should go outside the church, out of our comfort zone to reach those who are lost and gone astray. God doesn't just care about the saved, the church. God cares about every living soul on earth. For its not God's will that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance and have everlasting life. This should be our heart as well. 

We shouldn't ever look down on anyone, and talk about people who are not where we are in our walk with the Lord. We should not throw stones at those who fall away like the Pharisees. Rather we should reach out to them in love pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment spotted by sin.

Even though we all live in different communities, and our opportunities may not be the same. But if we ask the Lord to show us where to start, and be willing: the opportunities become more widespread. We can go to the marketplace, on our jobs, at the parks and tell people about the love of God. 

I Have learn that parables are earthly stories with a heavenly meaning. The Lord Jesus frequently used parables as a means of illustrating profound, divine truths. Stories such as these are easily remembered, the characters bold, and the symbolism rich meaning. We serve a loving Father who wishes for no one to perish. However, in order to get to Him we must seek Jesus first. Jesus gave His life for the sinners and for all who would repent.  The parable of the the lost sheep and the lost coin both represent something lost and the person diligently searching for what has been lost. Each lost item is consider a lost soul. Each item found represents Joy and rejoicing for what has been lost. The Lord and the Angels rejoice when at least one sinner repents and come to seek Jesus. Jesus came for the lost. We are all valuable in the eyes of the Lord. Again, we serve a loving God and He will make sure that He saves the ones that truly want to be saved and believed in His Son Jesus Christ.

The Pharisees were so religious and  legalistic. They follow their own traditions and believe in certain about the Law of Moses. They were considered like the separate ones. They complained because they wanted to still be in power over the people. In today's society many people who do not believe in Jesus Christ will talk and complain about those that do want or know Jesus Christ. The Pharisees Jesus saw them as hypocrites. 

Jesus Christ is the best teacher that we can all learn. His value towards people were filled with love, mercy and compassion. He did not discriminate anyone. He loved the most detestable person that other people consider. We are not to judge anyone. When going to spread the Good News we need to be at the person level and let them know how much Jesus loved us because of what He did for us.

Q1. (Luke 15:1-10) What do the Parables of the Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin teach disciples about God’s heart?

God is joyful when a sinner repents.  He is forgives the sinners.

In what way do these parables represent a contrast to the murmuring of the Pharisees?

The Pharisees’ were self-righteous, prejudice, and indifferent towards repentent sinners vs God’s seeking out the sinner and rejoicing when they repent.

How should a disciple implement Jesus’ value of seeking the lost in his or her own community?

Go to where sinners are, leave the 99 to find the 1.

1. Every person is of eternal value; God loves every person; He wants NONE lost to His love.

2. Pharisees, who knew the law, didn't know the Lawgiver, and desired their own elitists' ideas and interpretations.

3. I would love to hear specific examples of what others are doing to witness to the lost.  Example: I type out my testimony to give out depending on the situation and person to whom I will give it.  I belong to a gym, so I typed up my testimony of the circumstance of how I came to Christ.  I gave it to "Don", "Joe", and "Kay" and asked them to read it when they had time and to let me know if it came across as judgmental, obnoxious, "goofy", etc.  I had been building relationships with them as I came to exercise and joked with them.  They knew I was a new Christian pastor of a local church.  So I was soliciting their response when I said, "You know, I'm a Christian and pastor, trying to share with people how to know Jesus personally, but I need help expressing it so I don't come across as preachy or judgmental.  Would you help me?"  All 3, at different times, said, "Yes."  So now I'm at the point of follow up of asking, "Hey, what did you think?  Be honest...I want to improve on this, but need your honest evaluation." 

4. So...I would love to hear what you are doing, saying, writing, HOW you are going about witnessing to potentially LOST sheep and coins.  Thank  you and God bless you.  (I'm 73 and I've been a pastor for the last 37 years.  I'm always looking for ways to build relationships with the lost and I'm stuggling with the younger generation and relating to them.  It was much easier witnessing in the 1960's-80's.)  Thank you so much...Blessings, Gary

The Parables of the Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin teach disciples that God as a Searching Father, looking for the lost, actively seeking them, and rejoicing when they are found.  The Pharisees in contrast had a sense of superiority and blamed the lost for their sinful lifestyles and did not care about their eternal plight.

As a disciple, Jesus teaches me that I should have a heart like him for the lost.   I don't blame about how someone strayed but try my best to search and bring the lost to the fold with love and rejoice like God when a sinner repents.  

I am blessed and thankful for this replies.  You are wonderful encouragers.  I pray God will greatly and continually deepen our love for the lost day by day.  Thank you for sharing and God bless you as you bear witness of God's forgiving, saving, grace through Christ.

The Parables of the Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin teach us that God values each individual, he knows us by name and he rejoices over every single sinner who returns to him.

These parables illustrate God's compassionate ,relentless and active  pursuit of those who are spiritually lost.

This contrasts with the murmuring of the Pharisees, who were critical of Jesus for associating with sinners, due to a lack of understanding and compassion.

As disciples, we would delight Gods heart when we prioritize outreach to those who are overt sinners, marginalized, struggling, or distant from God. This involves genuine care, active search, and rejoicing when lost individuals are brought back into the fold. It means embracing the heart of compassion and leaving behind judgment and exclusion. To be Known as friend of Sinners, as our Saviour

The Parables of the Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin teach us that God values each individual, he knows us by name and he rejoices over every single sinner who returns to him.

These parables illustrate God's compassionate ,relentless and active  pursuit of those who are spiritually lost. Offering them Grace : Unmerited Favor.

This contrasts with the murmuring of the Pharisees, who were critical of Jesus for associating with sinners, due to a lack of understanding of God's heart  and a lack of compassion/ chesed.

As disciples, we would delight Gods heart when we prioritize outreach to those who are overt sinners, marginalized, struggling, or distant from God. This involves genuine care, active search, and rejoicing when lost individuals are brought back into the fold. It means embracing the heart of compassion and leaving behind judgment and exclusion. To be Known as friend of Sinners, even as our Saviour.

Pastor Ralph headed this section as "parables of love." Searching for the lost item/sheep, then, are examples of God's love. God loves sinful humans so much that He seeks for them in out-of-the-way places. He pursues that lost sheep in crevices and deep grasses. Thus, I see these passages as a reminder that God's love for the straying Christian or unbeliever is so powerful that He actively seeks to bring them back into the fold.

Rather than associate with people like ourselves, these two parables tell us to get off our pews and start searching for the lost. They're all around us -- this is not a difficult command. The difficulty is seen in our unwillingness to associate with people who aren't believers. It's just so easy to stick around our "own kind" in church, isn't it?

Any non-believer is a sheep or lost coin that needs to be found and brought to safety. Very old people can be lost as well as the youth -- those to whom we witness are often those who are on our path. God appoints these engagements. Our job is to courageously share the gospel knowing that most lost sheep will stay lost, that the success ratio is very small.  Yet we are to continually prioritize the lost over the found.

I think that's the message of these two parables, that our priority should not be building up church curriculum, for example, but bringing in lost sheep.

Q1. (Luke 15:1-10) What do the Parables of the Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin teach disciples about God’s heart? God has a heart for those who do not yet know Him... He came to restore and He will not be satisfied until every lost soul has the opportunity to know His Love and choose Him... His main focus is the one who is lost... If I have 2 children and 1 is safe at home in bed and the other is on the streets lost... am I going to sit at the bedside of the one who is safe or am I going out in the streets to find the one in danger?  If I, a sinner, will go after my lost child... how much more will my perfect Father go after His?  God's redemption didn't end with me, so why do I live like the search is over?  Forgive me Lord... move my heart to match Yours I pray!

In what way do these parables represent a contrast to the murmuring of the Pharisees? These only cared for those who looked and acted like them... They felt they were safe, and nobody else's safety mattered to them... they judged others by their social standings, their appearances and their actions instead of seeing each person as a creation in the image of the Almighty God.  I would be deceitful if I said I looked at another's heart before I saw their appearance... I fail terribly in this area, but I will say, I have noticed... at least within my church... that it is those that are seen as socially "less than" that are seeking God the hardest... it is them who I see on their knees at the alter and them who I see bringing friends and neighbors with them to church.  I would say the hardest posture for a Pharisee to take, either physically or with their heart, is a posture of submission and worship.

How should a disciple implement Jesus’ value of seeking the lost in his or her own community? Currently, God has called me to seek the lost within my own church. (as the woman who lost the coin in her own house)  To teach His Gospel as a relationship, not a ritual.  We have seen many coming to Christ from within... including my own husband... PRAISE GOD!...It is not only the angels who should be rejoicing when we see God's Kingdom increase... I cannot think of a single thing worth celebrating more than a soul saved by Grace as a spirit is brought to life... it is something I pray I will never tire of.

Quest 1:The parable teaches us to place priority of the unsaved and not to think that anyone can't be saved or give up on them. The gospel of christ is the power to save we do the acting and God’s mighty power perfects the job, does the conviction. Amen. 

Quest:2 It contrast their philosophy in several ways. 

No1: it contrast their pride. A Shepherd ought to be humble. 

No 2: it contrast their philosophy of the righteous remaining righteous and the sinful remaining sinful. 

No 3: contrast to their understanding God is not wanting to devour sinners though he hate sin yet its God's will that non perish but come to the knowledge of the Son of God. Amen. 

Quest 3: Every believer should be ready to maximise every opportunity around him or her or in whatever sphere or capacity God had placed us to reach to the lost. 

For example are you a doctor? It's an opportunity to reach out to lost doctor, our talent and gift is to profit the kingdom. 

1.  It teaches us about God -- his love, his heart for the lost, his forgiveness, and his mercy.    

2.   In this context, the lost sheep is a sinner and the ninety-nine sheep represent the righteous. This is the answer to the Pharisee question. 

3.  We are to look for the lost even if we have to leave the righteous one. Express our love to them and let them know we are concerned.