JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Oppression of Aliens and Sojourners

1a)They were outsiders &would have been looked down upon,harassed,victimised, raped,even killed by people who had no fear of God on how to treat people,and saw them as easy targets for their own ends.

b)Many people from SA, Romania, Czech republic, Polish, Scotland, Nigeria, Kenya,Nepal.

c)Looking for a better life.

d) Difficulty getting work as no experience/work refs in this country, and if do work excessive hours for lower than the minimum wage. e)Show we care by providing employment where can,help with learning English &ensure basic needs for food, heating and housing are possible. Making an effort to understand them by including them.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife of 4 months lived in the USA as a "TPS" Temporary Protected Status - El Salvador refugee, for over 10 years." She had little rights other than to pay taxes and $325 for a temporary visa if she wanted to be able to visit her family and then come back to the USA. It costs >$400/yr to keep this status

Its hard to believe there are so many TPS in the N Virginia area. And they keep coming despite not getting very well treated, and not being able to convert to become a USA citizen. They get no reward for being "documented". I'm so happy God brought her into my life. Praise God!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Abraham and his family faced dangers as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere because the gangs and thief that roamed the desert and they would rob and rape. The person in charge of the land might oppress them.

The “aliens and sojourners” that live in your community are usually Mexicans. They had come from Mexico and a lot of times they are illegal but some are here legally. The illegal ones are discriminated against by employers and other in the community because of our laws. The legal ones are accepted and I don’t think they are discriminated against.

In our church we welcome all that come through the doors.

• 7 months later...

Q1. (12:10) What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere? Who might oppress them? What "aliens and sojourners" live in your community? Why did they come? How are they being oppressed or discriminated against by employers and others in the community? What can you and your church do to "love those who are aliens"?          

They had no family, legal rights, or ties to the lands they sojourned through.  They were strangers in strange lands  and cultures.  They were at the mercy and graciousness of the host peoples.  They could be oppressed by anyone or any group within the those lands. 

Many aliens and sojourners come into my community of Live Oak, Fl and the surrounding country from Mexico and Central America looking for a better of way of life.  They work primarily in Agriculture and are invaluable to this community on many levels.  The oppression they receive is discrimination or racism by individuals. 

The church can love their neighbors as themselves and make a  big difference in the lives of everyone. 

• 2 years later...

A. As an alien, a sojourner, and a stranger with no blood relatives in the land of Egypt, he would have had few/no "rights."  He and those with him would have been dependent on the people who lived in the land.

B. As to who might oppress them, the king as well as gangs who lived in the land.

C. There are few sojourners in the small community that I live in, or that I am aware of.  A short distance beyond our community probably more.

D. They probably came for employment and housing, and a better way of life for their families.

E. As to how they might be oppressed, in earnings, housing, and isolation.

F. To be open to their needs, and to "love those who are aliens."

• 3 months later...

Q1. (12:10) What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere? Who might oppress them? What "aliens and sojourners" live in your community? Why did they come? How are they being oppressed or discriminated against by employers and others in the community? What can you and your church do to "love those who are aliens"?

Abraham and his family being sojourners in a foreign lands had no protection from the ruling king, they were open to any type of injustice that came their way.

Abraham and his family could be attacked by bandits or any criminal group around.

There are many aliens living in our area, especially from central and south America.

Most aliens are being discriminate against by their employers who pay them little as possible for a days work.

Our church has been involved in assisting aliens in our area by providing clothing, food and a shelter.  

• 3 years later...

Abraham was a pilgrim and a wanderer, not settling down in any place for a long time. When Abraham went into Egypt, he must have been at the mercy of those who were ruling over Egypt would have no voice in any matters of his own welfare. The king’s law prevailed over all. He could change the rules according to his own whims and fancies. Abraham and his family may not be defended by anyone in case there was an attack on their lives and would have had to defend themselves. The ancient Nuzi tablets mention how a wife could be abducted by the Egyptians killing their husband and the wife was considered to be their prize. If the person accompanying a desirable woman is her brother, there would be negotiations rather than killing him. Probably this could have been practiced not only by the Egyptians, but other nations too.

We are living in a country where there are people from many nations. We ourselves are expats here, who have come to work here and make a living. Here the locals and westerners are given priority in the workplace when it comes to positions and salary scales. The church can extend love and treat them as equal and embrace everyone, whatever their racial or country background, and love on them. 

• 6 months later...

He could be taken advantage of by evil men; gangs of men could rape women and girls as well; they also relied on the monarch for protection. I believe there are some Muslims in mine. I don't know because they don't talk to me. People avoid them. I would believe it would start by showing God's love to them. 

• 1 year later...

As aliens they had no native civil rights. Abram and his family faced dangers around them, evil people groups waiting to take advantage of them. Wherever possible he sought to find favour with the king/leader of the surrounding  area. His safety depended on the whim of the local king or warlord. 

• 1 year later...

Biblical aliens and sojourners are not equivalent to many people skipping over our borders today. 

To differentiate between needy and vulnerable foreigners and opportunists/criminals is not against the word of God. And, to take the biblical verses about aliens out of their historical context and apply them to today's circumstances is simply wrong. Aliens in America have the same civil rights as everyone else, with the exception of voting, which some do anyway. They're given housing, food and transportation, their kids are educated free in public schools and they have free medical care. Obviously, the situation here is NOT the same as it was in Abraham's time because they ARE treated like the native born -- in many ways, better! -- the heavy cost of which is borne by the native born.