JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Oppression of Aliens and Sojourners

Q1. (12:10) What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere?

They were in a new land and were subject to evil ones trying to take advantage of them. They were vulnerable to being attacked and raped.

Who might oppress them?

Local kings or warlords taking away their rights.

What "aliens and sojourners" live in your community?

We have several Hispanic and Asian families living in our community. And a few from India.

Why did they come?

To make a better life for their children.

How are they being oppressed or discriminated against by employers and others in the community?

They are resented because they demand rights be given to them, they refuse to learn our language and expect us to be able to communicate with their language. They have as much right to live in a free country as I do, but they should make the effort to adapt and learn the new language.

What can you and your church do to "love those who are aliens"?

We should invite them to our worship service, and open our arms to them showing them God

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere? Being in an unfamiliar land, sticken with famine and being very vulnerable because they couldn't have a permanent home

Who might oppress them? Any of the local leaders of government

What "aliens and sojourners" live in your community? Hispanic people, Homeless people, people who are lost and searching for a quick solution to their problems, people who are lost in themselves

Why did they come? To try to make a better life for themselves and their families, to get away from problems in the cities and neighborhoods that they used to live in

How are they being oppressed or discriminated against by employers and others in the community? Lower wages, longer hours, racial and ethnic predujice

What can you and your church do to "love those who are aliens"? Take them in, show them that God loves them for who and what they are, assist them in making things better for themselves and their families, befriend them without prejudice. Let the light of God shine in and through us

:ph34r: ONE OF THE MOST SERIOUS DANGERS ABRAHAM AND HIS FAMILY FACED WAS DEATH.ALSO STARVATION,THE LACK OF SHELTER.THEY WERE REFUGEES.ALSO THERE WAS EVIL PEOPLE THAT WANTED TO MAKE THEIR WAY INTO THE CAMP AND DO BODILY HARM TO MEN AND WOMEN TO FULFILL THEIR LUSTS.

THERE IS ALIENS AND SOJOURNERS THAT LIVE IN ALL OUR COMMUNITIES.SOME ARE DRIVEN TO BREAK THE LAW BECAUSE KNOW ONE CARES TO HELP THEM.SOME MOVE TO OUR COMMUNITY TO SEEK NEW EMPLOYMENT,OR JUST NEED TO START OVER,TRYING TO MAKE THEIR LIFE BETTER.

SOME PEOPLE ARE EVEN TREATED LIKE ALIENS BECAUSE THEY ARE TRYING TO RECOVER FROM DRUGS OR ALCOHOL,OR SOMETHING THEY ARE ADDICTED TO.SO THEY HAVE THEIR OWN LITTLE GROUPS BECAUSE MOST ARE NOT WELCOME IN SOME CHURCHES THAT ARE MORE STRICT WITH THE DONT DO'ES THAN THE HELP PEOPLE NEED.WE MUST NOT DISCRIMINANT AGAINST THEM AS EMPLOYEES OR EVEN IN FOOD RESTURANTS OR IN OUR CHURCHES. YES THERE ARE SOME WHO DONT WANT OUR LOVE AND HELP,BUT AT LEAST WE OFFER AND GIVE FREELY TO THEM WHAT JESUS HAS TAUGHT US.

TO ALL ALIENS WE MUST SHOW THE LOVE OF GOD.SHARE WITH THEM WHAT OUR CHURCH HAS TO OFFER.TEACH THEM ABOUT JESUS.

"I PRAY THIS DOESENT SOUND LIKE I AM BASHING,IM JUST TRYING TO ANSWER WITH EXPERIENCES OF MY OWN".BLESSINGS LINDA

He was not protected by native law and was vulnerable to the attacks by others. He may be oppressed by warlords and kings. We have various ethnicities. They are here to gain a better life - to have more freedom. I've been out of the work force for a few years, but I'm sure that descrimination in the work force is still prevelent as it is in home ownership in various neighborhoods.

Our church is fabulously mixed with first generation immigrants from Brazil, Belize, South Africa and 2nd & 3rd generation Anglo Saxons. I myself am a 3rd generation American with European roots. However, we all descended from Noah so any differences are due to geographical location determining our skin color, etc. I can say that our church embraces "difference". I personally have always been drawn to aliens. I love finding out about other people's cultures.

• 1 month later...
What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere? Who might oppress them?
Death, separation from family, someone you love being hurt. Other Egyptians, you know the "in" or accepted crowd.
A former alcoholic.
Why did they come?
I don't know if this guy can hold a job or if anyone wants to hire him.
Accept them, pray for them, when appropriate provide resources of funds or places who can help. Perhaps invite someone over for coffee or to watch a game on tv with you.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. (12:10) What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere? Who might oppress them? What "aliens and sojourners" live in your community? Why did they come? How are they being oppressed or discriminated against by employers and others in the community? What can you and your church do to "love those who are aliens"?

abraham and sara face many danger but because of abraham faith he had gods potection and god to fight his battlewith other nations we live in a world with different nationality and they come to injoy the freedom of serving god and live in a country of democracy. and as real christian we are to show the love that jesus showed because god has no respect of person

• 2 weeks later...

Abram and family face threat of abuse from not only those in authority but any local who are familiar with the law of the land. There are many Indonesians who come to my country as unskilled workers and maids. They are being viewed generally as trouble-makers and criminals. The maid are not appreciated by employers. Sometimes they face abuse. I once was suspicious of my family's maid...very ashamed of it now for not understanding her feelings, working in a foreign land and in need of friendliness n hospitality. The church must treat all as children of God, with love and understanding' like bro n sis without regard for status or occupation

Abraham, without God, would have been killed. He would have lost all of his possessions. It seems to me that at this time, he is not yet fully trusting God. In response to the question, there are aliens in our community. And there has been times when they (the aliens) have not qualify for some type of aid from the government just because they are foreignors.

• 1 month later...

Lesson 2 Q1:

(a) The dangers that faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere: they were strangers to the land with no blood relatives thus making it dangerous for them. They had few legal rights, they were vulnerable to evil people who would try to take advantage of them..They could be raped, killed or any cruel action taken on them. Abraham had reasons to be afraid if that was his reaction.

(B) The people that might oppress them could be the local king or warlord, local leaders or anyone that did not believe or live the way Abraham did. Any culture or religion that was different fro Abraham's.

© Aliens/sojourners that live in our community could be people coming from other countries with different language; color; religious background.

(d) They came for employment and to get status to be able to bring their family for a better lifestyle.

(e) I am not sure if they are oppressed or discriminated against in this beautiful country of Canada.

(f) Our church can always help those people by making them feel welcome and invite them to our church to understand our faith. I believe Love is the answer, "for, there is no respect of persons with God" (Romans 2:11). Amen

What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners?

Abraham and his family (being aliens and sojourners) faced emotional and physical abuse. Being outsiders, they barely protected, if protected at all.

Most inhabitants of a community are very protective of their material and immaterial possessions. Moreover, they were probably looked down upon.

Who might oppress them?

Kings, leaders, men, women and children.

Poverty-striken individuals, homosexuals, people from various ethnic backgrounds.

Why did they come?

I am not sure why they came. Maybe because I live in a community where there are many individuals from diverse backgrounds.

How are they being oppressed or discriminated against by employers and others in the community?

I am not really sure about the answer to this questions.

What can you and your church do to love those who are aliens?

My church and myself, could go and minister as a "missionary" if you will, to these individuals. Invite them into our homes and church. Try to become as involved as possible in their lives. Finally, let them know that they are loved.

• 7 months later...

Q1. (12:10) What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere? Who might oppress them? What "aliens and sojourners" live in your community? Why did they come? How are they being oppressed or discriminated against by employers and others in the community? What can you and your church do to "love those who are aliens"?

Danger came from not possiblly have a lodging place, no food, death at the handle of the people already there, the fact that Pharoah could legally take all he had including His wife as his own.

We are a small community but have many nationalities, Mexican, India, among others and find people still fear those that are different. They are discriminated against most because people want to change them to make them fit there idea of how we should fit into society and if they don't comform they are not welcomed many times. I find this attitude even in many churches, if they don't worship like we do believe the doctrines the same way we do they are wrong and must change. This is sad if God had want us to be just like each other he could have created us that way, He still says we are free moral agents to choose not only how we live but how we worship and as long as it lines up with His word it can't be wrong. Love and acceptance brings back the same from the person receiving it, freely you receive from God freely you give in Love.

• 1 month later...

It still amazes me how God speaks to me! Just before I clicked on this question, I began my daily devotional by reading Psalm 39. My husband passed by as I began to read, and I looked up at him and said, "Why am I not familiar with this Psalm? I thought I knew them all, inside and out." Then I got to V. 12 where the psalmist says, "For I am your passing guest, an alien like my forbears." Is this not what we forget? That we are just visiting here on earth--our home is really in heaven? We are all faced with Abraham's problems as a sojourner. Our ways are not the ways of this world, but we can get caught up in the culture of our "hosts." It is all around us. Will we take on these ways? Only God's strength can see us through.

To really answer the question: When my oldest son graduated from the high school where I taught for many years, the school population was made up of 90% white, 10% black...well we did have one Vietnamese student and an occasional exchange student. When my youngest son graduated 8 years later, the population had changed. There were almost as many Hispanics as whites. The parents of these children had been recruited by a local chicken processor for cheap labor. Many were illegal aliens. The children streamed into the schools. I have always lived professionally by an oath of my on device, almost like the Hypocratic Oath: If a student is in my class, it is my duty to teach that child to the best of my ability. I do not ask who the parents are, or what circumstances surround the presence of the child. How disappointing to find out that so many of my co-workers did not share this feeling. Students were treated with bitterness and resentment in many classes. Teachers complained that the language barrier was too much to handle--that their time was being taken away from the children they were supposed to be teaching--that our tax dollars were going to pay for the education of the undeserving. I went back to school. I learned strategies to help me past the language barrier. I loved my Hispanic students who tried so hard. Later, I used many of the same stategies to teach algebra to at-risk students in a larger school. It has always made me sad to see the reactions of the teachers who missed out on teaching these students because of their resentment for the different, the "alien." Most of these teachers would say they are Christian with Christian ethics. Are they? I cannot judge. But I feel that perhaps I should have read them the story of Abraham or Psalm 39. Perhaps then, they would have made a connection.

• 1 month later...

The dangers that Abraham faces are real, but does he not have a faith problem? Why does Abraham have this fear? Does he not believe the promises God made to him? God has a lesson to teach, not only to Abraham but to all mankind. Humanity from the beginning had problems believing in God's promise. This alone is strong proof that our lives are not predetermined, nor was Abraham's life predetermined. God wants us and Abraham to put our faith in his hand. As Abraham though we refuse to give up control to God. Abraham chose to protect himself with the means at his disposal. We also make choses how to protect ourselves. How many nuclear weapons do we need to protect ourselves? How many would we need if we trusted in God? Would Abraham have to compromise his wife if he just had more faith?

At present our community is about 50% hispanic. When I first moved here it was less than 10%. They came here for exactly the same reason that my grandparents came here, they want a better life. They are looking for security. Oppression is only in the eyes of the oppressed. Even though the Hispanic community is employed in the worse possible jobs they are grateful for the jobs. Many are pulling themselves out of oppression and finding the American Dream. This helps all of us in the community.

Our church is open to anyone. Though I am a new member of the church I have never seen anyone made to feel unwelcome. Yet it is definitely a White Middle Class church. It is this way due to postion and not due to any design.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

The dangers that Abraham and his family faced were from the king and the civilians. Attacks on him and his family, rape, gang violence. He might have been opressed by Kings, warlords, politcal groups.

Sojourners who live in my community. I live in Colorado so we have a lot of Hispanic culture, and alot of homosexuals. Homosexuals have a huge community that they share together here. Hispanics came here for employment and the climate. You usually can find work year around here. The winters are fairly do able. Homosexuals rally together here do to the overwhelming support they recieve from political memebers, community leaders, and an out poor of rescources available to them. Just an added note. Colorado has a homeless rate that has reached epademic. and i see them also as sojourns in this state. They are oppressed and discriminated greatly. The state of Colorado refuses to provided more houseing shelters, there are few services and agencies to help. And the ones that are in place are so overwhelmed that they can't keep up with the demand. So we see homeless people everywhere in downtown Denver. And ironiclly they sleep on the lawn of the Capital building. They gather in front of the court house. People walk right past them like they don't even exsit. It is so sad. I have been trying to get involved in our Red Cross Rescue mission, to lend a hand. And many of times i have gone to Capital hill and i will talk with some of the homeless. just to lend a ear. Just to share a smile. To share the loving work of our every so saving powers of the Lord Jesus Christ.

• 3 months later...

Q1. (12:10) What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere?

As with anyone who has been to a different land or state, you are always aware that your the one that doesn't fit in. One has to be careful, cause there are those out there just waiting to take advantage of you and take what you have or if not possible kill you and take what you have.

Who might oppress them?

Anyone that follows Satan, or has greed, **** deception in their hears and soul.

Well, I live in a Christian Mt. Community (www.humelake.org) and theres not much of aliens here, but when I go to Fresno I see them, and can feel their pain and watchful eyes to make sure they aren't going to be taken or cheated. Most of the time it's by their fellow countrymen.

Why did they come?

popular belief is that they came to better theur families, but most of all it's to escape their own land and to get the benifits that we have in this country. They want but they also don't want to return the favor to this country.

All the time, it use to be worse, but things have gotten a little better.

You can Love them as our Lord Christ loves us. Tho we might have a different skin color, we are all brothers and sisters under our Savior Christ.

• 4 months later...

It was a land they had never been before. They did not know what to e xpect from those they w ould encounter along the way. They were t raveling with all theeir posseesssions and cattle plus kaeeping them content with all oof his servants. .the rulers in ////eggypt were strangers to him. but he had greaat hope and expectaations that God w ould provide. I live in quit e cloce community. Everyone is closedd to speaking aabout the Gospel and no one feells free to express their faith. Our church has many outreaches. A t eam from our church is ging to Africa tnd helping with a Aidds project.

Hw faced the unknown as to strangers along the way. He also was a stranger and an alien to all those he would encounter along the wayThr vsrious cultures that he would pass through and how they would be treaated with all their cattle and servants would be a daily problem for them. I live in quit e a cloed community and people never express spiritual thoughts let alone about their personal faith in Jesus Christ, My Church has many outreaches and in a couple of weeks a team is giong to Africa to help with an Aids project.

• 4 months later...

People perceived as "different" from those who inhabit a given place or those who are strangers are generally treated with skepticism, indifference and disdain by those who have lived there all of their lives. As a result they do not receive the benefits of the citizens of the land and must survive in the most difficult of circumstances.

In my community in Florida we have a continual flow of transients and migrants, coming here for the weather and opportunity for a better life. Often denied regular jobs because of unstable backgrounds or lack of valid ID, they end up in day labor or the fields.

We are a mission. We accept and provide for anyone in need and most of all the need we fill is giving them the bread of life, the words of Jesus Christ.

• 3 months later...

Abraham and his family had no legal right in Egypt. They were vulnerable to any people who acted in evil ways such as robbery, rape, murder, etc. They might be oppressed by the King or any in authority.

I live in a community where there are a mixture of cultures. Most of the people are well educated and there doesn't seem to be oppression and prejudice. However, I visit in a city in my state where there are migrant worker who live in poverty and there is much prejudice and oppression. The church in this city which I attend when viisting there has a ministry to help with food, personal needs and there are also ministries to help with language understanding and tutoring. :)

Abraham and his family had no legal right in Egypt. They were vulnerable to any people who acted in evil ways such as robbery, rape, murder, etc. They might be oppressed by the King or any in authority.

I live in a community where there are a mixture of cultures. Most of the people are well educated and there doesn't seem to be oppression and prejudice. However, I visit in a city in my state where there are migrant worker who live in poverty and there is much prejudice and oppression. The church in this city which I attend when viisting there has a ministry to help with food, personal needs and there are also ministries to help with language understanding and tutoring. :)

:P

Dangers

Abraham and his family faced physical dangers of being attacked, robbed, raped, kidnapped or ridiculed as not being accepted by people of this culture. They faced being oppressed by king, war Lords, king's court, common people of Egypt and any who did not want foreigners in their land.

In my neighborhood which is very cosmopolitan, we have God's chidren from a number of various countries. Most are have done well economically and are well educated. There is little, if any, discriminating of which I am aware. However, many foreigners are not as fortunate as these, may lack eduacation due to no fault of their own and are often discriminated. Any church could do God's will by helping these folks gain job skill and an education, help instill in them their value as a child of God and help provide needs such as housing, food, clothing while they are trying to get established so they can support themselves. The church which I attend has Project Light which is a remedial reading lab to help anyone who needs to improve reading and language skills.

• 3 weeks later...

They are faced those who want to take advantage of them, threats of death or enslavement, hunger.

I struggle with the other questions. I don't feel like we have aliens in our community or that any group is being oppressed or discriminated against. My employer is very emphatic about equality and non-discrimination (with a zero tolerance policy) so I don't see it there or in our church either.

• 4 months later...

Abraham and his family would have been at the mercy of strangers. Wicked people, thieves, and rulers would have been threats to them. There are Hispanics that live in our area. They work in restaurants, for landscaping businesses, and farmers. Last week I was walking my dog at the park and there was a lady there with 2 young kids. I spoke to her, but she didn't speak back. I realized that she didn't speak English. The little boy with her understood so I talked with him. As they left she smiled and waved goodbye. It would be so hard to be in a new country and not know the language. They would be an easy target to be cheated out of what little money they make. On a pesonal level we can be friendly to people who are different from us. Treat them as we would want to be treated. Our church helps support a missionary in Mexico. On Easter each year we take up special offerings of 30 pieces of silver to be sent to the missionary.

Q1. (12:10) What dangers faced Abraham and his family as aliens and sojourners in Egypt and elsewhere? Who might oppress them?

As aliens, Abraham and his family faced being attacked, raped and ostracized by the local warlords. And oppressed by citizens who might swindle them for much needed goods.

What "aliens and sojourners" live in your community? Why did they come?

In this community there are aliens from numerous countries. Because of this country's location and natural resources many aliens and sojourners come here to take up permanent residence or are transient until they can flee to their desired destination.

The aliens in this country is far from being oppressed as their standard of living far surpass that of families in their homeland.

We can treat them as God's children who He loves and who we should love.